Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Review] LA Times reviews Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge

The LA Times has released a commentary article explaining one writer's thoughts on Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge at the end of the summer. Writer Todd Martens talks about the drastic change from high crowds to empty parks after Galaxy's Edge opened.

He's adopts a balanced view, noting that Galaxy's Edge is not completely open yet, but he is also honest about Disney's actions at a macro level, from the reorganization of park executives to Iger's comments about being disappointed in domestic attendance.

The article is not wholly critical of Galaxy's Edge, and points to entertainment offerings and interactions with characters as the shining star. Martens includes sourced material about Disney's representations of what was supposed to be included in Galaxy's Edge (like the dinner club) and how the final product comes up short. For every bit he criticizes the mission of Smugglers Run, he points out that those unique interactions with characters are what builds repeat visitors. And yes, he calls out Bob Chapek's reliance on Cast Members building their own Batuuan backstories as a prime example of under-delivering what Disney promised.

Frankly, I'm not all about the pile-on for Galaxy's Edge. I haven't been yet and don't want to make any final judgments. However, I do know what I would like to see, and the fact that mainstream news sources are sharing the same opinions only validates similar opinions.

LA Times: "Commentary: Disney’s Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge: What works, what’s missing and what to fix"

A good write up. The opinions are the same. They need to pay real actors to sell the story. The CMs I have dealt with are not a replacement for an actor. They do their best and I appreciate their efforts. A real actor in each environment doesn't just help the story move but it also allows the CMs to take part in it even more and build upon. That then opens the door for guests to jump in.
    Last edited by biggsworth; 10-07-2019, 05:49 PM.
    These are some of my favorite TRs I have posted

DL 55th BDAY trip report
    My company had a special night at the park
    WdW trip report with WWoHP
    NYE 2011 trip report
    Mice Chat 7th anniversary
    Leap year 24 hour report
    New DCA trip report
    NYE 2012
    HKDL trip report

Comment

Originally posted by WaltDisney'sAlec View Post
      The LA Times has released a commentary article explaining one writer's thoughts on Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge at the end of the summer. Writer Todd Martens talks about the drastic change from high crowds to empty parks after Galaxy's Edge opened.

He's adopts a balanced view, noting that Galaxy's Edge is not completely open yet, but he is also honest about Disney's actions at a macro level, from the reorganization of park executives to Iger's comments about being disappointed in domestic attendance.

The article is not wholly critical of Galaxy's Edge, and points to entertainment offerings and interactions with characters as the shining star. Martens includes sourced material about Disney's representations of what was supposed to be included in Galaxy's Edge (like the dinner club) and how the final product comes up short. For every bit he criticizes the mission of Smugglers Run, he points out that those unique interactions with characters are what builds repeat visitors. And yes, he calls out Bob Chapek's reliance on Cast Members building their own Batuuan backstories as a prime example of under-delivering what Disney promised.

Frankly, I'm not all about the pile-on for Galaxy's Edge. I haven't been yet and don't want to make any final judgments. However, I do know what I would like to see, and the fact that mainstream news sources are sharing the same opinions only validates similar opinions.

LA Times: "Commentary: Disney’s Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge: What works, what’s missing and what to fix"

Quality post here. Really thoughtful commentary, WaltDisney'sAlec
      Ryborg

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
      Working...
      X