X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eagleman
    replied
    Originally posted by IPOD22785 View Post
    Ultimately while the Disney+ price point is attractive at $7/month, the bundle option for Disney+/Hulu/ESPN+ is just as important for the long-term success of the project, as it would be the lure for people who want a wide range, not only the Disney brands.
    This is were Disney is gearing and getting there foot in the door
    ........in the Streaming market .......is offering a package concept
    at a low rate.......
    I have to agree...but how well they do , another question and how long !

Leave a comment:

• Mr Wiggins
    replied
    Was more referring to the kneejerk cynicism that might come out of seeing a lot of current Imagineering projects in the new trailer, which tends to send up people's antenna of "Oh, they're just trying to sell me something".
    Given the increasing untrustworthiness of Disney's PR hype -- from the blatant misinformation it gave its fans about Star Wars Land at the 2017 D23, to the bogus boasting of Bob Chapek that the new land is a big success -- it's more than reasonable that fans would be distrustful of its self-aggrandizing pitches. Dismissing their skepticism as "kneejerk cynicism" hardly seems reasonable, in the face of the fact that Disney's self-promotion has become notoriously untrustworthy.

Leave a comment:

• IPOD22785
    replied
    Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post

The difference is that the Disneyland TV shows in the 50s and 60s didn't mislead the audience about what they would experience at the Park. People who watched those shows and then visited Disneyland found that they got more than the shows advertised, not less. They got more than they expected, not less. The result was a tidal wave of positive word-of-mouth that turned Disneyland into a world-wide "must see" -- a creative and financial success.

The difference with Star Wars Land is that Disney's hype promised 'way more than it delivered. The result was a flood of tepid word-of-mouth for a land that continues to under-perform creatively and financially.
    Was more referring to the kneejerk cynicism that might come out of seeing a lot of current Imagineering projects in the new trailer, which tends to send up people's antenna of "Oh, they're just trying to sell me something". That was one thing I'll be curious to see in the final product though, if it's slanted heavily in favor of current projects, but I doubt that'll be the case (hyping up the BTS factor of current or soon-to-come projects can definitely be a selling point though). I like the tact of seeing not just the long-ago backstory of WDI but also what the current generation of Imagineering is up to; in a six-hour series you'd hope there could be enough room for both to get their fair due.

Other news: several new documentaries coming next year for Disney+ also unveiled today, fans of "People & Places" rejoice! Also announced along with the re-boot of that short docs form: Don Hahn's documentary on Howard Ashman, a new doc on Wolfgang Puck (from same director who did Jiro Dreams of Sushi), and a new doc on Mickey Mouse from Morgan Neville, who did last year's Mr. Rogers documentary Won't You Be My Neighbor?

Leave a comment:

• IPOD22785
    replied
    Originally posted by xPhoenix View Post

They have already expressed that much of the Fox fare that they now control will find its way to Hulu. It makes sense as they own 66% of Hulu currently and control all of it. Disney + should really be thought of as an inexpensive and fantastic add on for Disney property fans.
    This, plus the fact that on some of the content, hard to say how much but probably a decent amount, it's still a waiting period for the streaming rights to get back under Disney's control, after deals with other services like HBO, Starz, or Netflix expire (not unlike Disney's own recent theatrical releases - that's why you'll see Wreck-it-Ralph on Disney+ from day one, but it'll likely not be until sometime next year that the service includes its 2018 sequel).

Definitely will see some of the more family-oriented Fox pictures make their way to Disney+, like Mrs. Doubtfire or Eddie Murphy's Dr. Doolittle series, as well as Ice Age, Home Alone, Night at the Museum, Cheaper by the Dozen (those last 3 also have been ear-marked for remakes that'll be exclusive to Disney+). But much of the Fox library that fits adult audiences - Alien, Die Hard, Speed, There's Something About Mary, Fight Club, Walk the Line, The Devil Wears Prada, Gone Girl, The Martian just to tick off a handful - will be on Hulu. Similar story for Disney films from the Touchstone/Hollywood Pictures banner like Down & Out in Beverly Hills, Good Morning Vietnam, Cocktail, The Program, Con/Air, The Insider, The Sixth Sense, & so on.

Ultimately while the Disney+ price point is attractive at $7/month, the bundle option for Disney+/Hulu/ESPN+ is just as important for the long-term success of the project, as it would be the lure for people who want a wide range, not only the Disney brands.

Leave a comment:

• xPhoenix
    replied
    Originally posted by tarheelalum View Post
    Now that Disney owns Fox Studios, why don't they just put every movie Fox has made on DIsney+. Lord knows they better do something that is not Disney, unless they just want Disney+ to be for children. But that doesn't sound like $$$$ Disney. From what I've read thus far, it looks like Disney+ is not going to be so great. At least initially they do not seem to have anything for adult original content like Netflix or even Amazon Prime has. And since its Disney, I don't see many creative types flocking there to have everything they make get 20 focus groups and have nine layers of corporate suits dictate what they do creatively.
    They have already expressed that much of the Fox fare that they now control will find its way to Hulu. It makes sense as they own 66% of Hulu currently and control all of it. Disney + should really be thought of as an inexpensive and fantastic add on for Disney property fans.

Leave a comment:

• Mr Wiggins
    replied
    ...I'm sure somebody has a fiery post ready about the fact that they show off Galaxy's Edge, but this type of thing being a thinly-disguised promotional reel for whatever the latest shiny new object is, well that's a tradition that goes back to the first episode of the Disneyland TV show in 1954
    The difference is that the Disneyland TV shows in the 50s and 60s didn't mislead the audience about what they would experience at the Park. People who watched those shows and then visited Disneyland found that they got more than the shows advertised, not less. They got more than they expected, not less. The result was a tidal wave of positive word-of-mouth that turned Disneyland into a world-wide "must see" -- a creative and financial success.

The difference with Star Wars Land is that Disney's hype promised 'way more than it delivered. The result was a flood of tepid word-of-mouth for a land that continues to under-perform creatively and financially.

Leave a comment:

• tarheelalum
    replied
    Now that Disney owns Fox Studios, why don't they just put every movie Fox has made on DIsney+. Lord knows they better do something that is not Disney, unless they just want Disney+ to be for children. But that doesn't sound like $$$$ Disney. From what I've read thus far, it looks like Disney+ is not going to be so great. At least initially they do not seem to have anything for adult original content like Netflix or even Amazon Prime has. And since its Disney, I don't see many creative types flocking there to have everything they make get 20 focus groups and have nine layers of corporate suits dictate what they do creatively.

Leave a comment:

• IPOD22785
    replied
    New trailer for "The Imagineering Story", obviously a lot of updates from the first reel which appeared online in 2016, before Disney+ was even a thing. Full series will be 6 episodes & narrated by Angela Bassett, also confirmed now as being on Disney+ at launch Nov 12:

Pretty cool backstage access teased in snippets here, with a mix of wayback stories and modern-day anecdotes (yes, I'm sure somebody has a fiery post ready about the fact that they show off Galaxy's Edge, but this type of thing being a thinly-disguised promotional reel for whatever the latest shiny new object is, well that's a tradition that goes back to the first episode of the Disneyland TV show in 1954)

Leave a comment:

• IPOD22785
    replied
    A deeper dive on how Disney+ has been put together (and the sheer numbers involved) from Hollywood Reporter -- people who think short-term will see the losses and cry wolf, but this is a decades-long play for the future: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/features/bob-iger-bets-company-hollywood-s-future-streaming-1247663

Last edited by IPOD22785; 10-16-2019, 12:15 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Eagleman
    replied
    Originally posted by xPhoenix View Post
    Reading through all of the comments here and glancing at the new retro merch article on the home page does give me hope that Disney+ will further fan the flame of a "retro resurgence". I don't see any permanent attractions coming from all of this, but I do think it is likely that there will be more retro-themed events headed to the DLR.
    IMO
    I feel
    Disney+
    is going be use more , for Disney "PR" spin than any thing else.

Leave a comment:

• xPhoenix
    replied
    Reading through all of the comments here and glancing at the new retro merch article on the home page does give me hope that Disney+ will further fan the flame of a "retro resurgence". I don't see any permanent attractions coming from all of this, but I do think it is likely that there will be more retro-themed events headed to the DLR.

Leave a comment:

• sailor310
    replied

IPOD22785
    Added: if you prefer visuals and have 3 Hrs and 17 minutes to spare, the announcement clip reel in full (which might come in handy as there's a decent amount of material both recent and decades in the past that I had no idea existed!):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=m0FRDaHnITI[/QUOTE]

I watched much of the clip. I'd really like to watch a lot of the older stuff. After 1985, not so much except TRON and Pixar.

Leave a comment:

• wlc
    replied
    That's really cool, thank you. I didn't think they'd have such a large amount of content on Day 1.

Leave a comment:

• IPOD22785
    replied
    Originally posted by stovk View Post
    Just curious. Has Disney announced what will be available in Disney+? They say their entire catalog, but we know that won't be the case (Song of the South).

Also, are we going to get the original content, or the PC re-edit (Pecos Bill)?

Just wondering. Too many unknowns for me before I pull the trigger and order.
    Yes - posted today via the Disney+ Twitter account was a massive dump of everything which will be available at launch on November 12th. Sorted link here, breaking it down by "channel", if you will - Walt Disney Pictures, Direct-to-video/TV Movies, TV Series, Disney+ Originals, FOX, Nat Geo, Lucasfilm, Pixar.

Disney+ Day one content

As a starting point goes, you'll definitely see a whole bunch of "deep cuts" from the vault to go with the greatest hits (if you wanted to compare both the 1940 and 1960 versions of Swiss Family Robinson, for instance, you're in luck!) while also tapping in heavy to peak-90s nostalgia (hence every Disney Afternoon & Marvel animated series under the sun, plus a whole plethora of the Disney Channel Original Movies that ruled cable in the late-90s). Worth keeping in mind that this is a) only what was announced today, which while big probably wasn't totally exhaustive, and b) a decent amount of stuff remains tied up in deals with other services so it might be a while before the streaming rights in the U.S. return back to Disney (most of the theatrical releases from 2016-18, for instance, are still with Netflix for a bit longer)

Added: if you prefer visuals and have 3 Hrs and 17 minutes to spare, the announcement clip reel in full (which might come in handy as there's a decent amount of material both recent and decades in the past that I had no idea existed!):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=m0FRDaHnITI
    Last edited by IPOD22785; 10-14-2019, 03:30 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Mr Wiggins
    replied
    Originally posted by Zorro View Post
    Agreed. In the 1990s, these films were still being treated as mass-market films so there was some "Think of the children" hysteria. Twenty years later, these films are now considered more the domain of the Disney scholar and enthusiast so the company isn't as concerned now. Of course, the executives that likely made these decisions are likely long gone. On the other hand, I wouldn't count on seeing an uncut Fantasia, but as much as I hate censorship the edit in that case is more understandable.
    Yep. And even more influential on making classic Disney animation kid-safe was Michael himself. A former head of ABC Children's TV, he had barely moved into his office when he launched Disney TV Animation with a mandate to dominate kidvid. The Disney Channel was quickly kiddie-fied. Disney Home Video (later Disney Home Entertainment, which Bob Chapek headed for a time before he was promoted to Consumer Products) cranked out dozens of titles marketed to the kid demographic.

Michael is indeed long gone, but his marketing mindset remains in the executives he promoted -- Iger in particular. It'll be interesting to see how much it informs the Disney+ content.

Leave a comment:

• Zorro
    replied
    ^ One can always hope. It'd be great to have an uncut Blu-Ray of Melody Time.
    Agreed. In the 1990s, these films were still being treated as mass-market films so there was some "Think of the children" hysteria. Twenty years later, these films are now considered more the domain of the Disney scholar and enthusiast so the company isn't as concerned now. Of course, the executives that likely made these decisions are likely long gone. On the other hand, I wouldn't count on seeing an uncut Fantasia, but as much as I hate censorship the edit in that case is more understandable.

Leave a comment:

• Mr Wiggins
    replied
    ^ One can always hope. It'd be great to have an uncut Blu-Ray of Melody Time.

Leave a comment:

• Zorro
    replied

Starting in 1998, the masters of Pecos Bill for U.S. distribution had all the cigarette business removed. The chance that Disney+ will air the original version is practically zero. The only way to get the unedited version is to buy a VHS or Laserdisc of Melody Time, or a Region 2 DVD (and Region 2 player).

I wouldn't necessarily say that. Saludos Amigos was similarly edited in the late 1990s (specifically, a shot of Goofy smoking was digitally altered). However, the recent DMC blu-ray of the feature is uncut with Goofy fully enjoying his drag, and I think that this newer HD version is the one that is available digitally as well. For that matter, Make Mine Music, the film that arguably suffered the most from Disney's heavy-handed editing in the 90s, played uncut on my cable system's Disney on-demand section a few years ago. So, should Melody Time ever make a digital resurgence, my guess is the the film would likely be uncut, but I wouldn't guarantee that assertion either.

Leave a comment:

• Mr Wiggins
    replied
    Originally posted by stovk View Post
    Just curious. Has Disney announced what will be available in Disney+? They say their entire catalog, but we know that won't be the case (Song of the South).

Starting in 1998, the masters of Pecos Bill for U.S. distribution had all the cigarette business removed. The chance that Disney+ will air the original version is practically zero. The only way to get the unedited version is to buy a VHS or Laserdisc of Melody Time, or a Region 2 DVD (and Region 2 player).

Leave a comment:

• stovk
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X