Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DCA's "Hip and Edgy" Period

Hey all,

I never got to visit Disney's California Adventure until the Carsland / Buena Vista Street renovations were well underway. But I did read people's account of the park's early years. I kept seeing the phrase 'hip and edgy' mentioned; used to critique the park. That got me wondering a couple things:
    • Was "Hip and Edgy" simply a fan insult, or did Disney executives/imagineers/PR folks actually describe it that way?
    • In what ways was the 'hip and edgy' theme exhibited in the park? Do any remnants of it still remain in 2019?

- danielc56

I don't know if it was "hip and edgy," but there were two periods I can point to as "trying" to be the "undisneyland."

While most might consider the original opening day park part of that "hip and edgy" era, I'd hold back as alot of the "edge" came from the apparent confidence of Disney management thinking what they put out would work, and it was supposed to be full of little have at competitors who would see Disney succeeding even with an "off the shelf" ride filled park (for more, see any media discussing how great Eisner thought superstar limo was going to be), alot of that stuff never really made it to the part, so I don't really count it.

The true edgy period ironicly enough probably starts with ToT. Only because it was one of the first rides sold as "so scurry, omg." Not pushing the "not for kids" angle that other amusement parks might do for their high quality thrill rides, but as close as we'd get for Disney, and miles different than how "it's a fun adventure" the guardians tower has been presented despite being the same ride.

Other examples include Disney's incorperation of "radical" stuff like the X games show and experience, and "hip" stuff like stuffing high school musical in around 2008ish.

The last thing I would site, but it might be even more controversial, would be the dance parties ranging from Glow, electronica, mad tea party, etc. With their psuedo nightclub experience and heavy presence of alcohol, I'd put it pretty close to the "hip and edgy" angle people might remember. But it's controversial because even those dance parties were full of radio edits of songs, and things being JUST family friendly enough that you'd still see little kids, and even had areas on the side for parents and kids to sit or dance around under projector lights, away from the drinking, etc.

Comment

I would call it more of a bore fest than edgy or hip. I spent 1 day DCA version 1.0 CA screamin, Soaring over CA, and Grizzly peak were/are fun. Once they opened ToT we would visit the park for that obviously but would that be DCA version 1.4? LOL I consider 1.0 that first year of operation.
      These are some of my favorite TRs I have posted

DL 55th BDAY trip report
      My company had a special night at the park
      WdW trip report with WWoHP
      NYE 2011 trip report
      Mice Chat 7th anniversary
      Leap year 24 hour report
      New DCA trip report
      NYE 2012
      HKDL trip report

Comment

It was never hip and edgy. DCA 1.0 was cheap and halfassed.

Comment

The entire resort has tried to be "hip and edgy" for years now, and they're not the only company. Whether it's the trend toward club music during parades/shows, the Food-Network-inspired food offering, and the necessity to change the look of Mickey to appease everyone, it's pretty obvious to me.

Comment

It was edgy because Michael Eisner pioneered the concept that concrete is better than landscaping.

Comment

Originally posted by danielc56 View Post
              Was "Hip and Edgy" simply a fan insult, or did Disney executives/imagineers/PR folks actually describe it that way?
              The "hip and edgy" term wasn't used at the beginning, but during DCA's development there was considerable rumbling among the creatives at Burbank and Glendale that Michael viewed Disneyland as a primarily "kiddie" product. His vision of DCA was for an un-Disney theme park that would attract adults. Traditional Disney entertainment values and attitudes became non grata at TDB and WDI. The result was a theme park that became notorious for its lack of Disney charm and warmth. Devoid of the "Architecture of Reassurance" -- the "Disney touch" that had made Disneyland world-famous -- DCA was a creative and financial failure.

"Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
              it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
              together with every variety of recreation and fun,
              designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
              - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
              - Bob Chapek

Comment

"Hip and edgy" certainly sarcastically describes the era of Disney's film poster puns during those same years.
                More dad jokes than anything. Worst marketing, lack of charm.

Comment

I never went during this period either but did read many an article or two about it. I was left with the impression that is was supposed to be an adult land where you could go and get drunk and ride carnival style rides etc. yet it was disguised as a tribute to Walt. I always found this profoundly odd as even though Walt liked to have a drink and a smoke he was not a fan of cheap carnivals and did not aim to have drunks flowing through his parks. To me at the time DCA was the Anti-Walt park and maybe because at the time it was hip to be anti everything with everything from popular band names to malls labeling themselves anti-[insert something here] I think this helped journalists coin it as "Hip and Edgy".

Comment

"hip and edgy"

is a term ,I never heard of ?
                    DAC was lacking
                    Disney charm.....and it was done real Cheap.
                    Even today I just look at place as another Amusement Park !
                    IMO
                    Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Originally posted by brett View Post
                      "Hip and edgy" certainly sarcastically describes the era of Disney's film poster puns during those same years.
                      More dad jokes than anything. Worst marketing, lack of charm.
                      Yep. The corporate culture of the Eisner regime ran throughout the Company as the executives of division after division emulated Michael's rejection of all things "Waltish." The embarrassingly cynical "Enchanted Tiki Room (Under New Management)" was a product of the same corporate self-view.
                      "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
                      it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
                      together with every variety of recreation and fun,
                      designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
                      - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
                      - Bob Chapek

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post

Yep. The corporate culture of the Eisner regime ran throughout the Company as the executives of division after division emulated Michael's rejection of all things "Waltish." The embarrassingly cynical "Enchanted Tiki Room (Under New Management)" was a product of the same corporate self-view.
                        Under New Management- Interesting view point......I never thought of.......but TRUE !
                        Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

One big edgy blunder was the short lived Disney Dance Crew, which was more recent than one might think(2010). The show was trying to give a rap/hip-hop vibe, but was cringe inducing.

The most controversial part, was the 'A Pirates Life for me' segment. The said song from POTC, was performed in a hip hop style and had initially changed the refrain of "Drink up me hearties, yo ho" to "Drink up me Gangsters, yo ho".

So yeah, that may take the cake.

Comment

Disney never has been able to succeed at “hip and edgy.”

Disney has always done best when it has embraced what the company is (was) and embraced creativity, innovation, and created attractions for everybody.
                            http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...oto-heavy.html
                            http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ip-report.html
                            http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...something.html

No matter where you go, there you are.

Comment

Originally posted by danielc56 View Post
                              Hey all,

I never got to visit Disney's California Adventure until the Carsland / Buena Vista Street renovations were well underway. But I did read people's account of the park's early years. I kept seeing the phrase 'hip and edgy' mentioned; used to critique the park. That got me wondering a couple things:
                              • Was "Hip and Edgy" simply a fan insult, or did Disney executives/imagineers/PR folks actually describe it that way?
                              • In what ways was the 'hip and edgy' theme exhibited in the park? Do any remnants of it still remain in 2019?

- danielc56
                              Disney Imagineers described the park that way. And now, as of 2019, they are reverting back to "hip and edgy" with the addition of a MARVEL superhero themed land.
                              An Aspiring Walt Disney Imagineer.

Comment

IMO
                                California
                                Theme went down the drain............
                                Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

The Mad Tea party was actually pretty lit. Wish they brought back those parties to the Hollywood Backlot.

Comment

The one thing I vividly remember about opening day at DCA 1.0, and many months after, is that the Park was to be completely free of any and all Disney characters! You would not see any of them roaming around for you to take photos with. Also, you would not find any Disney characters in their first parade, Eureka! It was very odd back then! However, after countless complaints from guests, Disney soon realized they needed to include Mickey and his friends throughout the Park.

With that being said, there's still a part of me that misses how DCA used to be, and look, in the very beginning years. I wouldn't have considered it "hip and edgy", but it definitely had a more "mature feel" about it. It's been so interesting to see how that Park has evolved over the past 18 years. Some for the better, some for the worse.
                                    DISNEYLAND IS YOUR LAND

Comment

I think the ‘hip & edgy’ angle was kind of a myth, unless you count the Stomp show and BMX bike show (I wouldn’t count Golden Dreams and Bugs Land as ‘hip & edgy’ during the early years).

Looking through an old press kit just before opening was pretty funny in hindsight. The press release quotes by Braverman on how when designing DCA they purposely ‘threw out the playbook’ (which makes since because arguably with the exception of Soarin - DCA 1.0 was closer akin, but even less themed, than the Hard Rock amusement park that closed years ago after 1-2 years of operations).

Another funny quote from then was praising DCA 1.0’s ‘wide open vistas’ where you could see from the Back Lot to the Pier. That really mean acres of flat concrete, near zero shade and commercial strip mall-level theming.

I think as a Disney fan back then is what made this so much harder was seeing DCA open nearly at the same time as DisneySea and the double burn of knowing we could have gotten Westcot.

I don’t blame the Imagineers though for DCA 1.0 - like Tony’s new Tomorrowland crew they were trying to stretch penny budgets to look as-close-to what Disney was delivering earlier in the decade (like IJA, Disneyland Paris, Tower of Terror).

Last edited by Disney1ace; 10-15-2019, 06:33 PM.

Comment

I thought that the Mad Tea Party dance party thing was always kind of pathetic and lame.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X