Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] Disneyland 3rd Gate

We all hope and wonder about a 3rd gate. Every couple of years huge rumors build momentum about it and then it fizzles only to rumor again a few years later. I don't wonder when anymore, I wonder why not. I don't believe Disney has any desire to build a 3rd gate in any foreseeable future and I wanna know everyone's opinions on why they don't and won't build a third gate in Anaheim.

I personally didn't like the idea of a SECOND gate in the same location as Disneyland. Kind of sacred ground for me. The original plan for second gate was "Westcot"...basically a mini EPCOT with only the World Showcase. Was planned to be built on the strawberry fields that Disney owned on what is now the "new" parking structures (new to me anyway.) I like the idea for a 3rd gate...but please ... somewhere else. The visual "assault" from Harbor Blvd or Disneyland Drive towards the Main Entrance is already too much for my eyes to bear. I personally liked the vast stretch of parking lot myself. Put 3rd gate near the Studio. Do studio tours 'ala Universal with it's "Glamour Trams" circa 1975. I'm sure there are plenty of warehouses in North Hollywood that are begging to be torn down to build a park- for a hefty price. As with any venture with a public company, ROI needs to be studied ad-nauseam...environmental impact...etc. etc. The Walt Disney Co. has more land and power in Florida. I'd expect most energies would go there.

Comment

It doesnt matter what I/we want. The city of Anaheim wont even let them build a new parking structure on disney way to handle the current crowds nevermind the crowds from having a 3rd park! Just keep expanding california adventure until it has enough rides and entertainment to rival the crowds that visit Disneyland.

Comment

Originally posted by zugzug15 View Post
        It doesnt matter what I/we want. The city of Anaheim wont even let them build a new parking structure on disney way to handle the current crowds nevermind the crowds from having a 3rd park! Just keep expanding california adventure until it has enough rides and entertainment to rival the crowds that visit Disneyland.
        There were fine with them building a parking structure (in fact they were demanding one), it was the private bridge over public land that they didn't approve of.

Comment

I have outlined a timeline before of when you can even think about sniffing a 3rd gate. To me it is so far off it isn't really even wasting thought power on it. we are already at 2020 and they are still finishing SWGE and working on Avengers Campus. When those are done hopefully in 2020 they promised us a Black Panther attraction in DCA so that will be 2021/2022 if we are lucky. Also they are making Mickey and Minnies for 2022.

At the next D23 I assume 2021 we probably expect a FL redo or expansion or TL but FL sounds more feasible. Lets say they announce that and build it we are talking what 2025 for an opening? If they have left TL that long then that would be next and announced at D23 in 2023 or 2025. That would open around what 2028? That leaves not a lot of room for a 3rd gate discussion for about 10 more years. Now of course what do I know but I am so into project planning at my work that I can't help but think of things in time increments.

Also a personal bias of mine is I want them to keep working on the current 2 parks they need a lot of work still. DCA could use a lot more love and additions to me. TL in DL is embarrassing and should already be worked on.
          These are some of my favorite TRs I have posted

DL 55th BDAY trip report
          My company had a special night at the park
          WdW trip report with WWoHP
          NYE 2011 trip report
          Mice Chat 7th anniversary
          Leap year 24 hour report
          New DCA trip report
          NYE 2012
          HKDL trip report

Comment

I don't think that Disney is going to put in a 3rd park in southern CA.

Comment

I would LOVE a 3rd gate in Anaheim. I also don't think that DCA needs that much "adding" to. It has more to do than Hollywood Studios or Animal Kingdom in Florida. I agree tomorrowland needs "fixing" - but I doubt they are going to do it so I'll just pass on that idea since we have been talking about that for as long as I've been visiting Miceage (probably 15 years ago I became a "lurker" here) and I see no signs of it ever happening. In fact, Tomorrowland just keeps getting worse. Bring on the 3rd gate already!

Comment

My prediction is they will not even announce a third gate until Dl and DC are construction free and with the rumored TL update coming after SW:GE, Marvel Campus & the Toon Town update are complete ( remember when everyone said ToonTown was going to get dozed for Star Wars land?). I see any announcement on a 3rd gate being at least 5-10 years off and completion if at all at least 15 year away. Which puts it long after Iger retires and chapek is told to hand in his resignation.
                Last edited by Starcade; 10-17-2019, 11:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by n2drhorton View Post
                  I wanna know everyone's opinions on why they don't and won't build a third gate in Anaheim.
                  Because the political battles with all the NIMBYS in residential, politicians, and unions is not worth the fight and backlash...so put your money to work elsewhere in both other parks and monetizing what you already have vs wasting time and resources on trying to get a third gate approved.

Comment

Originally posted by n2drhorton View Post
                    ...I wanna know everyone's opinions on why they don't and won't build a third gate in Anaheim.
                    It's because they're too risk-averse and too desperate for short-term profits. None of these revolving-door executives are going to take the risk of greenlighting a new park when they know they won't be there when it opens. Instead, they'll continue using DLR as a platform to inexpensively promote current movie brands, a la the quickie-cheapie Pixar Pier "upgrade," Tower of Terror reskin and Spider-Man screen shooter.

In that sense, Star Wars Land is an aberration -- a throwback to Tom Staggs' era, which Chapek and Iger wouldn't greenlight if it were pitched to them today. Instead, they'd task WDI with doing cheap reskins of Star Tours, Buzz and Space Mountain; and pay for it by removing the Submarines, closing Autopia, and packing the land with shops selling high-markup Star Wars merch, food and booze.

Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 10-16-2019, 02:25 PM.
                    "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
                    it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
                    together with every variety of recreation and fun,
                    designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
                    - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
                    - Bob Chapek

Comment

Originally posted by Bubu View Post
                      ...Put 3rd gate near the Studio. Do studio tours 'ala Universal with it's "Glamour Trams" circa 1975.
                      I kinda like this idea. Probably not realistic, but fun to imagine.

The Riverside location in Burbank that Walt originally planned for the park is no longer feasible (There is a freeway running through it), but I'm sure they could find another parcel of land close by to buy up.

Click image for larger version  Name:	mickeymousepark1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	100.6 KB ID:	8605508
                      Mike_M

Disneyland Trips
                      Walt Disney World
                      Disneyland Paris

1980, 1982, 1984, 1986, 1987, 1989
                      1990, 1992, 1993

2000, 2001, 2006, 2007, 2009
                      2010, 2011, 2014, 2016, 2016, 2017, 2/2019, 11/2019

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_M View Post

I kinda like this idea. Probably not realistic, but fun to imagine.

The Riverside location in Burbank that Walt originally planned for the park is no longer feasible (There is a freeway running through it), but I'm sure they could find another parcel of land close by to buy up.

Click image for larger version Name:	mickeymousepark1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	100.6 KB ID:	8605508
                        They expand the
                        studio on that
                        parcel
                        now........
                        But did like , the concept that Walt had.......but his "Dream got Bigger"

Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Originally posted by Eagleman View Post
                          They expand the
                          studio on that
                          parcel
                          now........
                          But did like , the concept that Walt had.......but his "Dream got Bigger"
                          I LOVE this idea, but since The Walt Disney Company has become so large, doing something so humble is just not in the cards. How about "Retroland" (working title) in Disneyland...a land like the original concept, but with all original/Yesterland/retired attractions that Walt personally touched..work in conjunction with The Walt Disney Family Museum do to ever changing exhibits, merchandise to reflect uniqueness and not everything branded with "Ears" e.g. The Flower Market, The One of a Kind Shop. Retro food locations like Sunkist, Aunt Jemima, Carnation, etc. Limit crowds via reservation system so that guests can stroll around quietly circa 1955. Strict dress code 'ala 50's - 60's...not vintage, just not "sweats", logo clothing, uber-casual clothing. Ladies in smart sweater sets, and men in jackets and ties. Don't have the right clothing? Go over to wardrobe and suit up (we used to do this at Grad Nights when kids did not follow the dress code.) I know this all sounds crazy, but hey...If I'm gonna dream, I get to dream.

Comment

I LOVE this idea, but since The Walt Disney Company has become so large, doing something so humble is just not in the cards. How about "Retroland" (working title) in Disneyland...a land like the original concept, but with all original/Yesterland/retired attractions that Walt personally touched..work in conjunction with The Walt Disney Family Museum do to ever changing exhibits, merchandise to reflect uniqueness and not everything branded with "Ears" e.g. The Flower Market, The One of a Kind Shop. Retro food locations like Sunkist, Aunt Jemima, Carnation, etc. Limit crowds via reservation system so that guests can stroll around quietly circa 1955. Strict dress code 'ala 50's - 60's...not vintage, just not "sweats", logo clothing, uber-casual clothing. Ladies in smart sweater sets, and men in jackets and ties. Don't have the right clothing? Go over to wardrobe and suit up (we used to do this at Grad Nights when kids did not follow the dress code.) I know this all sounds crazy, but hey...If I'm gonna dream, I get to dream.
                            Trust me on this one: sweaters, jackets, and ties would be miserable! Truly miserable. My friend and I went to a Washington Nationals game in Washington DC and we thought it would be funny to wear suits with American flag pins so people might think we were congressmen. Unfortunately it was 95 degrees and wearing a sport coat, button up shirt, and tie in that kind of heat is all sorts of awful. People just kept staring at us like we were insane, and one guy even came up to us and asked if we were being forced to do it as a frat hazing challenge. We had great seats not too far from the field but after about four innings we both just threw in the towel and went all the way to the back row of the upper deck where it was shady and windy. I’m not a terribly sweaty person, but I had sweat completely through all my layers and that included my TIE being soaked!

And that was just from walking from the car to our seats and just sitting still for an hour, I can’t even imagine a full day morning to night in Disneyland in the Anaheim heat and walking around a few miles wearing formal attire.

So please, I’m begging you, can I please wear shorts and a t-shirt in your very cool sounding retro Disneyland park?
                            Last edited by Disney Adventure; 10-17-2019, 01:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Disney Adventure View Post

Trust me on this one: sweaters, jackets, and ties would be miserable! Truly miserable. My friend and I went to a Washington Nationals game in Washington DC and we thought it would be funny to wear suits with American flag pins so people might think we were congressmen. Unfortunately it was 95 degrees and wearing a sport coat, button up shirt, and tie in that kind of heat is all sorts of awful. People just kept staring at us like we were insane, and one guy even came up to us and asked if we were being forced to do it as a frat hazing challenge. We had great seats not too far from the field but after about four innings we both just threw in the towel and went all the way to the back row of the upper deck where it was shady and windy. I’m not a terribly sweaty person, but I had sweat completely through all my layers and that included my TIE being soaked!

And that was just from walking from the car to our seats and just sitting still for an hour, I can’t even imagine a full day morning to night in Disneyland in the Anaheim heat and walking around a few miles wearing formal attire.

So please, I’m begging you, can I please wear shorts and a t-shirt in your very cool sounding retro Disneyland park?
                              Ok..so you only have to wear the "costume" in the themed land...you become part of the "show"...so if you spend an hour...or two...all very doable- think you will make it through buddy. An since it's just a fantasy..just go with it. After my hourly days at the Park (in which I did have to wear a satin lined and quilted wool jacket- I think it weighed about 15 pounds...made for me, so we were to be very grateful...and yes...it was a 3 piece that was never to be a two piece or otherwise...and for 8 hours...outside...in lines...) the "wear your own clothes" as a salaried employee guidelines/rules/etc. were even stricter depending on who you reported to. If it was a "Walt or second gen Walt Hire"... "You MUST wear a sport jacket or suit on stage...with TIE- or in any interaction with a guest. You were allowed to ONLY take your jacket off in the office. I don't really care what the appearance guide manual said..and...(my photo is in that guide)...nobody cared how hot it was, or how hot or sweaty you were...and if you fainted...well go to first aid and lay down for 15 minutes in the dark- suck it up cupcake. There were written rules and unwritten- depending on the manager of the part of the park you were in. Even as a Popcorn Vendor (standing next to a hot box full of popcorn), the guidelines for rolling up your sleeves for just ONE turn (ONE TURN ONLY!!!)...the temperature had to be 90+ degrees. And don't you DARE take a sip of water, unless it is backstage completely away from the view of guests. I think when it was 100+ our reliefs came around with dixie cups of small amounts of water that you were to drink very discretely with your hand over the cup..and only sips...no gulps. You could not take your tie off, nor your vest-totally verboten. And unless you were in "yellows" (which was for Leads, reliefs, Tomorrowland area) all costumes were basically a three piece suit. Bear Country was long puffy sleeves and leather trousers leather suspenders and leather boots. Don't you dare unlace that shirt past "the one button" area...NO CHEST HAIR IS EVER TO BE SEEN! Looked great...I was a total stud in that costume...but hot as hell and I was a rebel, so those laces were down to my belly button...I think I actually got written up for that. The only person who worried much was my mother "you look so hot...don't they give you hats?" Yes..they do give you hats...and you SWEAT even more. Mom...I don't want a hat. Truthfully, I have absolutely NO animosity whatsoever about sweating my balls off for years. I had so much fun. We had "line-ups" and "inspections"..we had to put out our hands to show our nails were clean and trimmed to Company specification (for men, nails must not extend to the top of the finger). They measured our sideburns (don't go below the earlobe...no no no!) I loved it. I didn't join the military, but the discipline Disneyland taught me as a bratty spoiled undisciplined 17 year old has carried over into my adult and now senior life. I'm not so militant, but I can wear a wool jacket all day in 90 degree heat and still look fabulous. In those days they wouldn't even let you have muscles...those poor muscley canoe guys with their bulging biceps...they needed them for God's sakes!..but.,if you went past XL...you had to "slim down" or ultimately be fired (but some guys had custom made shirts...shhhh...they custom made them themselves, so they couldn't turn them in to be washed,,,and we had bag checks at Harbor House..so you couldn't take them home to be washed...another story.) Definitely a different time. So...that being said...just put on the "Draper Look" with a skinny tie from Don Loper, and a sensible lightweight jacket. You'll do fine.

Comment

Ok..so you only have to wear the "costume" in the themed land...you become part of the "show"...so if you spend an hour...or two...all very doable- think you will make it through buddy. An since it's just a fantasy..just go with it. After my hourly days at the Park (in which I did have to wear a satin lined and quilted wool jacket- I think it weighed about 15 pounds...made for me, so we were to be very grateful...and yes...it was a 3 piece that was never to be a two piece or otherwise...and for 8 hours...outside...in lines...) the "wear your own clothes" as a salaried employee guidelines/rules/etc. were even stricter depending on who you reported to. If it was a "Walt or second gen Walt Hire"... "You MUST wear a sport jacket or suit on stage...with TIE- or in any interaction with a guest. You were allowed to ONLY take your jacket off in the office. I don't really care what the appearance guide manual said..and...(my photo is in that guide)...nobody cared how hot it was, or how hot or sweaty you were...and if you fainted...well go to first aid and lay down for 15 minutes in the dark- suck it up cupcake. There were written rules and unwritten- depending on the manager of the part of the park you were in. Even as a Popcorn Vendor (standing next to a hot box full of popcorn), the guidelines for rolling up your sleeves for just ONE turn (ONE TURN ONLY!!!)...the temperature had to be 90+ degrees. And don't you DARE take a sip of water, unless it is backstage completely away from the view of guests. I think when it was 100+ our reliefs came around with dixie cups of small amounts of water that you were to drink very discretely with your hand over the cup..and only sips...no gulps. You could not take your tie off, nor your vest-totally verboten. And unless you were in "yellows" (which was for Leads, reliefs, Tomorrowland area) all costumes were basically a three piece suit. Bear Country was long puffy sleeves and leather trousers leather suspenders and leather boots. Don't you dare unlace that shirt past "the one button" area...NO CHEST HAIR IS EVER TO BE SEEN! Looked great...I was a total stud in that costume...but hot as hell and I was a rebel, so those laces were down to my belly button...I think I actually got written up for that. The only person who worried much was my mother "you look so hot...don't they give you hats?" Yes..they do give you hats...and you SWEAT even more. Mom...I don't want a hat. Truthfully, I have absolutely NO animosity whatsoever about sweating my balls off for years. I had so much fun. We had "line-ups" and "inspections"..we had to put out our hands to show our nails were clean and trimmed to Company specification (for men, nails must not extend to the top of the finger). They measured our sideburns (don't go below the earlobe...no no no!) I loved it. I didn't join the military, but the discipline Disneyland taught me as a bratty spoiled undisciplined 17 year old has carried over into my adult and now senior life. I'm not so militant, but I can wear a wool jacket all day in 90 degree heat and still look fabulous. In those days they wouldn't even let you have muscles...those poor muscley canoe guys with their bulging biceps...they needed them for God's sakes!..but.,if you went past XL...you had to "slim down" or ultimately be fired (but some guys had custom made shirts...shhhh...they custom made them themselves, so they couldn't turn them in to be washed,,,and we had bag checks at Harbor House..so you couldn't take them home to be washed...another story.) Definitely a different time. So...that being said...just put on the "Draper Look" with a skinny tie from Don Loper, and a sensible lightweight jacket. You'll do fine.
                                If somebody is paying me to be unbearably hot I’m sure I could manage. But paying a whole lot of money to Disney to be unbearably hot....doesn’t sound appealing at all. I’m going to lobby to have your fantasy park in a giant clear temperature controlled dome 😄

Comment

Originally posted by Disney Adventure View Post

If somebody is paying me to be unbearably hot I’m sure I could manage. But paying a whole lot of money to Disney to be unbearably hot....doesn’t sound appealing at all. I’m going to lobby to have your fantasy park in a giant clear temperature controlled dome 😄
                                  YES! I forgot that bit. Yes..giant dome...but not echo-y like an indoor waterpark in New England...like Donna Summer said..."Dreams come true to those who dream!"

Comment

YES! I forgot that bit. Yes..giant dome...but not echo-y like an indoor waterpark in New England...like Donna Summer said..."Dreams come true to those who dream!"
                                    Don't forget
                                    Adventuredome
                                    (formerly Grand Slam Canyon) is a 5-acre (2.0 ha)
                                    indoor amusement park
                                    located at
                                    Circus Circus
                                    in Las Vegas, Nevada
                                    Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

A 3rd gate won't happen because Disney doesn't feel it needs to spend the money on it.

Comment

Originally posted by tarheelalum View Post
                                        A 3rd gate won't happen because Disney doesn't feel it needs to spend the money on it.
                                        With DCA being a free for all theme.....they not going to spend the money !
                                        Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X