Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• News Star Wars Themed Names Removed From Menu Items at Docking Bay 7 Food & Cargo

Well, this didn't take long. How soon before CMs are no longer asked to have backstories and use Batuu Lingo?

https://attractionsmagazine.com/menu...-galaxys-edge/

Disney has changed the names of the menu items at Docking Bay 7 Food & Cargo to remove the Star Wars-themed names in Disney’s Hollywood Studios. Previously, names like Smoked Kaadu Ribs and Fried Endorian Tip-Yip graced the menu, adding to the theme of Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge.

All of the main entrees, including kids meals, now have straightforward, non-themed names:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Screen-Shot-2019-10-17-at-9.44.38-AM.png Views:	526 Size:	60.2 KB ID:	8605642
    Last edited by whiteness; 10-17-2019, 08:32 PM.
    Dumbo rats: the other lovable rodents.

It's a well-known marketing tactic, called "Confusion Aversion from Over-Immersion."
    "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
    it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
    together with every variety of recreation and fun,
    designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
    - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
    - Bob Chapek

Comment

Lame I called it a while back i figured they would kill off some theming. The names of the food aren't the issues in SWGE though LOL. Now that roasted chicken salad exists in SWGE can Darth Vader show up next?
      These are some of my favorite TRs I have posted

DL 55th BDAY trip report
      My company had a special night at the park
      WdW trip report with WWoHP
      NYE 2011 trip report
      Mice Chat 7th anniversary
      Leap year 24 hour report
      New DCA trip report
      NYE 2012
      HKDL trip report

Comment

Oh, a few minor tweaks can fix this all up:

"Iger/Lucas Beef" Pot Roast
        "Chapek's Lost His Noodles" and Shrimp Salad
        "PR's Blowin' Smoke"'d Ribs
        "Catherine Powell's Fired Fried Chicken"

Comment

Originally posted by HiddenMickey87 View Post

Now that's a "Code V" provoking menu!

Comment

The Disneyland site still has the themed food naming but I imagine it's only a matter of time before the change is shared between both locations. Were people really that confused or could they really not be bothered to read past the dish title on the menu? Or does Disney actually think this was an issue that needed correction? I can think of a handful of things right off the top of my head I would have addressed in GE before this name change.

Disappointing no matter what reason.
            "I take no side. I am beyond your worrying and wars. I am unseen. Unknowable. Like a rock in the river."

Comment

I wonder how long it took them to realize this change needed to happen. Do you think it was because people were holding up the lines asking about what things were? Or was the issue that they just weren't selling enough food?

Seems odd given that they just added a plant-based menu option at Ronto Roasters, which did not see any names changed. Maybe it's just a test?

Comment

I could see it being confusing for customers, however this goes to show that no matter how hard one tries, 100% immersion into an IP just isn't possible.
                While Disney and Universal may try to get it right with GE and Harry Potter Land, respectively, truth is, these IPs are best enjoyed in our imaginations, in print or on film. No doubt people love these lands and no doubt they may be inspiring to many, but it's nothing like the universal realms of adventure, frontier, fantasy and tomorrow, upon which Disneyland was founded, and became successful.

Comment

I could see it being confusing for customers, however this goes to show that no matter how hard one tries, 100% immersion into an IP just isn't possible.
                  While Disney and Universal may try to get it right with GE and Harry Potter Land, respectively, truth is, these IPs are best enjoyed in our imaginations, in print or on film. No doubt people love these lands and no doubt they may be inspiring to many, but it's nothing like the universal realms of adventure, frontier, fantasy and tomorrow, upon which Disneyland was founded, and became successful.
                  The other issue is the SWGE food items don't even exist in the SW universe so there is no context for customers. Not everyone is going to read comic books and other forms of media to figure it out. At least Harry Potter has items that are named right out of the books and movies that people love and weren't created because they made an IP based land. Also since Harry Potter happens in the "real world" they actually eat things named chicken etc.
                  These are some of my favorite TRs I have posted

DL 55th BDAY trip report
                  My company had a special night at the park
                  WdW trip report with WWoHP
                  NYE 2011 trip report
                  Mice Chat 7th anniversary
                  Leap year 24 hour report
                  New DCA trip report
                  NYE 2012
                  HKDL trip report

Comment

I wonder if this is just the beginning as far as toning down the immersion for a more self-aware Land?

I'm not sure Batuu will ever NOT be Batuu, but timeline, storyline out the window and more of our favorites coming? Seems like Disney has at least heard some concerns about confusion if they're already re-naming food items.

Comment

I'd argue the theme named food items encourage the use of one's imagination. Or at least encourage one to read. In this instance, Disney has probably decided the theme named foods were too confusing for Guests. Which is probably the same logic extended to attractions and why we don't see many original ideas/why so many new offerings are cheap overlays or hold your hand the entire way through. If Disney really believes that Guests can't figure out what they're about to put in their mouths despite the menu item being explained, in detail, in the same breath as the item name then why on Earth would they think that Guests could appreciate or understand the deeper themes or meaning behind an attraction like Big Thunder Mountain, had it been built today?

This change, among others to various attractions around the resort, point to Disney believing Guests will not be able to handle new attractions or food items that aren't already tied in to something we're already familiar with or that aren't holding our hand the entire time. If this change proves to make things easier (no doubt it will), then this mentality will live on. Arceus forbid we try something new or Guests are encouraged to think. We're lucky attractions like Mansion, Pirates, etc. had years worth of history, legacy and understanding grandfathered into folks today otherwise they would have probably, eventually met the same fate as this menu name change and become generic, uninspired and dumbed down for a different audience.

I didn't know a Shaak was the name of the creature that Anakin rode while courting Padme' on Naboo but thanks to ordering the Braised Shaak Roast, I now do simply because my curiosity had been sparked and I wanted to learn more about what I was eating. I know that sort of thing isn't for everyone and doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things but at least it was there for folks who wanted to go past "Beef Pot Roast".
                      Last edited by Blurr; 10-17-2019, 11:27 AM. Reason: Grammar
                      "I take no side. I am beyond your worrying and wars. I am unseen. Unknowable. Like a rock in the river."

Comment

For me, I'm not a big fan of "theme named food" anyway. When I am looking at a menu, I like to scan the menu items and then if something catches my eye, I will then read the decription. It's more of an efficiency thing with me; especially when at Disneyland where you want to keep things movin' along.
                        “Not the least hard thing to bear when they go from us, these quiet friends, is that they carry away with them
                        so many years of our own lives.”

DL Trips: '58, '59, '61, '65, '66, '67, '68x2, '69x2, '70x2, '71x2, '73x2, '74x2, '75x2, '76x2, '77, '78,x2, '79x2, '80x2, '81, '82, '83, '88, '89x3, '90x2, '91, '93, '94, '95x2, '96, '97, '98x4, '99, '00, '01, '02, '03, '04, '05, '06, '07x2, '08, '09x2, '10, '11, '13
                        WDW Trips: '81
                        EPCOT Trips: '93
                        Tokyo DL Trips: '86

Comment

Now that you’re getting regular old pot roast, you’d think the price would go down. 18.99? What a joke.

Comment

Originally posted by WaltDisney'sAlec View Post
                            Seems odd given that they just added a plant-based menu option at Ronto Roasters, which did not see any names changed. Maybe it's just a test?
                            I wonder if they will need to rename and re-theme "Ronto Roasters", if they are planning to remove "Ronto meat" from the menu?

Comment

Originally posted by F ticket View Post
                              Now that you’re getting regular old pot roast, you’d think the price would go down. 18.99? What a joke.
                              Considering it's the same price over at Plaza Inn.. I'm going to say we shouldn't hold our breath. Though if I'm not mistaken, the Plaza Inn's offering comes with more food. There is a difference in taste but that's a subjective bit.

Comment

Originally posted by Blurr View Post

Considering it's the same price over at Plaza Inn.. I'm going to say we shouldn't hold our breath. Though if I'm not mistaken, the Plaza Inn's offering comes with more food. There is a difference in taste but that's a subjective bit.
                                Agreed, if Disneyland wants to really win me back all they need to do is bring back the French Fries with the Fried Chicken they used to serve at the French Market

Comment

Aggh! ROFL!!! 🤣 🤣 🤣
                                  "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
                                  it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
                                  together with every variety of recreation and fun,
                                  designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
                                  - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
                                  - Bob Chapek

Comment

Originally posted by Disneyidol View Post

Agreed, if Disneyland wants to really win me back all they need to do is bring back the French Fries with the Fried Chicken they used to serve at the French Market
                                    Oh my, yes! Those steak fries were incredible. I'm so glad someone else remembers too. I'll admit it wasn't terribly unique and I like that each location has a better identity now in terms of their food offerings than they did say, a decade ago, but some stuff like that I selfishly want back.

Comment

At least can we admit that this is a sign that the "theming" that some here insisted was (not quoting Mr Wiggans lol) was spot "on" isn't - and some of our assertions about theming being off and not connecting to many - some or whatever - not connecting to guests - and yes that's having a material impact on the "acceptance" or "experience" of the land...overall.?

Comment

How long before they turn all the Aurabesh into Helvetica?

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X