Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Starcade View Post
    How long before they turn all the Aurabesh into Helvetica?
    ROFL!

Maybe some more cost cutting will appear with repurposed Costumes?

Click image for larger version

Name:	27326112_1.jpg
Views:	605
Size:	17.0 KB
ID:	8605676
    “Not the least hard thing to bear when they go from us, these quiet friends, is that they carry away with them so many years of our own lives.”

DL Trips: '58, '59, '61, '65, '66, '67, '68x2, '69x2, '70x2, '71x2, '73x2, '74x2, '75x2, '76x2, '77, '78,x2, '79x2, '80x2, '81, '82, '83, '88, '89x3, '90x2, '91, '93, '94, '95x2, '96, '97, '98x4, '99, '00, '01, '02, '03, '04, '05, '06, '07x2, '08, '09x2, '10, '11, '13
    WDW Trips: '81
    EPCOT Trips: '93
    Tokyo DL Trips: '86

Comment

Originally posted by stovk View Post

ROFL!

Maybe some more cost cutting will appear with repurposed Costumes?
      Ah yes the Star Tre..., er...Tours uniforms.

Comment

Originally posted by Starcade View Post
        How long before they turn all the Aurabesh into Helvetica?
        Helvetica?! No, no, no, Chapek's more of a Times New Roman guy... saves ink.

In all honesty, though, give the cost-cutter a few more weeks, and eventually all Disneyland menus will look like this: just add a zero before each decimal point.

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by WaltDisney'sAlec View Post
          Do you think it was because people were holding up the lines asking about what things were?
          I absolutely think this is why. I've stood in the line waiting to order and heard how many people in front of me are confused and asking questions about what things are. Every time. It definitely dragged out the wait time. I think they gave it a long enough chance to assess if it were really a time-suck or something people would get used to. Sure there are always some people who have questions about the menu and/or ask things they could've read in the description, but there is a tipping point at which you have to conclude "ok but they're not doing it and they're not going to" and you have to change the process to try to reduce that time waste.

Comment

Originally posted by HiddenMickey87 View Post

Helvetica?! No, no, no, Chapek's more of a Times New Roman guy... saves ink.

In all honesty, though, give the cost-cutter a few more weeks, and eventually all Disneyland menus will look like this: just add a zero before each decimal point.
            UN-REAL.....................just more
            "Confusion" to add to the list !
            Last edited by Eagleman; 10-17-2019, 04:28 PM.
            Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

So much for that all immersive experience. Can't have people actually reading beyond the name of the dish in order to decide what to order eh? What a joke, people gotta ruin everything for everyone eh?

Comment

Originally posted by theatremouse View Post
                I absolutely think this is why. I've stood in the line waiting to order and heard how many people in front of me are confused and asking questions about what things are. Every time. It definitely dragged out the wait time.
                Yup. Disney is learning the lesson that the majority of the public doesn't follow Disney's Star Wars sequels closely enough to know the nomenclature. The menu puns were a self-conscious stretch from the get-go. Disney is copying Harry Potter Land -- and finding out that their Star Wars Sequel-Land isn't in the same league of familiarity.
                "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
                it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
                together with every variety of recreation and fun,
                designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
                - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
                - Bob Chapek

Comment

Originally posted by NGW View Post
                  So much for that all immersive experience. Can't have people actually reading beyond the name of the dish in order to decide what to order eh? What a joke, people gotta ruin everything for everyone eh?
                  Ruin what? If a menu is required for you to get into the "mood" of the land, then SWGE has bigger problems. If you're looking for someone to blame, look no further than Bob "Cheap$kate" Chapek. He's Mr. slash and burn.
                  “Not the least hard thing to bear when they go from us, these quiet friends, is that they carry away with them so many years of our own lives.”

DL Trips: '58, '59, '61, '65, '66, '67, '68x2, '69x2, '70x2, '71x2, '73x2, '74x2, '75x2, '76x2, '77, '78,x2, '79x2, '80x2, '81, '82, '83, '88, '89x3, '90x2, '91, '93, '94, '95x2, '96, '97, '98x4, '99, '00, '01, '02, '03, '04, '05, '06, '07x2, '08, '09x2, '10, '11, '13

Comment

I have mixed feelings on this. While I appreciate the effort in theming, I personally don't "do" role-play and I really hate when menu items have silly names. If I were eating at GE I would never say "Tip Yip" to begin with, I'd just order fried chicken (or whatever tip yip was), so the cutesy names would be lost on me anyway. That being said, it doesn't really affect me if someone else wants to call it tip yip as long as I can still call it fried chicken.

Anyway, it looks as though Disney's attempt to be clever backfired because they seem to have overestimated guests' ability to read and comprehend. I can't really say that I blame them for the change because if confusion is having an impact on wait times, that's a problem.

Comment

Ruin what? If a menu is required for you to get into the "mood" of the land, then SWGE has bigger problems. If you're looking for someone to blame, look no further than Bob "Cheap$kate" Chapek. He's Mr. slash and burn.
                      Never said it was required, but people's laziness is certainly resulting in them taking away from a cool and immersive feature of it. Should they strip the theming of the Haunted Mansion because it scares some people? Further cater to SJWs on Pirates?

Comment

Originally posted by NGW View Post

Never said it was required, but people's laziness is certainly resulting in them taking away from a cool and immersive feature of it. Should they strip the theming of the Haunted Mansion because it scares some people? Further cater to SJWs on Pirates?
                        Don't mix your apples and oranges.

Comment

Don't mix your apples and oranges.
                          nor Dole Whip
                          Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Originally posted by WaltDisney'sAlec View Post
                            I wonder how long it took them to realize this change needed to happen. Do you think it was because people were holding up the lines asking about what things were? Or was the issue that they just weren't selling enough food?

Seems odd given that they just added a plant-based menu option at Ronto Roasters, which did not see any names changed. Maybe it's just a test?
                            The audience is from many different world wide cultures. If you don't know Star Wars...and I don't...(other than Debbie Reynolds daughter was in it and my Grandpa made the thing)...I don't know a Batuuu from a Jabba...just let me know what I'm going to eat. Theme sells, but if people don't understand it...they'll just go for a burger and fries somewhere else. (Unless it's booze...cross culturally everyone knows what booze is...) Less confusion, more sales.

Comment

When I was there I couldn't see a menu close up until I got to the register. You couldn't possibly see the menu where the food was at that distance. There was a long line with empty walls where they could have put copies of the menu. They could have done a better job of letting people know what things were and then not have needed to change it.
                              What's with all the plant based food??? Unfortunately for me, I can't eat vegetables due to a disease I have. I wish they'd offer more substitutions.

Comment

I don't see this as all that big a deal to get upset over. It's just food.

Comment

Honestly, this is really starting to get me down. They haven't even opened the E-ticket ride yet, and it already feels like Disney is throwing in the towel somewhat.

Honeydukes and 3 Broomsticks seem to have struck the right balance. What could Disney have done differently, here?
                                  Dumbo rats: the other lovable rodents.

Comment

Can somebody fix the broken link on Post #1?

Maybe having food names on a Quick Service menu, was not a smart idea. Table Service on the other hand, allows a personal menu with a description big enough to explain what the food actually is. Good thing they had their bases covered with Table Ser-

...Oh yeah, it doesn't exist because of a certain individual's decision. Will somebody tell me why you would cut a table service restaurant, but keep a store that sell $200 lightsabers?!! Which is likely to be the better long term investment?!!

Originally posted by Bubu View Post

The audience is from many different world wide cultures. If you don't know Star Wars...and I don't...(other than Debbie Reynolds daughter was in it and my Grandpa made the thing)
                                    Your Grandpa made what?!

Off Topic: On a side note, Debbie Reynolds granddaughter(Billie Lourd) also appears in the new Star Wars movies, along side her mother, Carrie Fisher.

Comment

Originally posted by whiteness View Post
                                      What could Disney have done differently, here?
                                      They could have done their jobs as professionals. Pre-launch brand nomenclature testing is Marketing 101, and these guys dropped the ball. They obviously did not thoroughly focus-test these menus -- if they had, they would have found that significant portions of the general public lack sufficient familiarity with the brand nomenclature to "get it," much less be entertained by it. Instead, they're using the public as beta testers -- causing frustration for their customers and losing money for the Company.

They've also revealed that they have no backup plan and can't creatively pivot: Instead of keeping at least some brand presence with Star Wars menu references that people are familiar with, they strip it to pure generic.

On the surface this looks like a minor incident, but what it reveals to anyone in the business about Disney's management structure is pathetic. With decision after decision coming back to bite them in the butts, this is truly a Gang That Can't Shoot Straight.
                                      "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
                                      it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
                                      together with every variety of recreation and fun,
                                      designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
                                      - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
                                      - Bob Chapek

Comment

Originally posted by Spongeocto4 View Post
                                        I had to point to a different website, because Micechat won't allow anyone to post links to "wdwnt", and deletes part of the URL so the link is broken.

Fortunately, I am apparently able to post wdwnt, but probably if I had .com after that, it would be deleted.
                                        Dumbo rats: the other lovable rodents.

Comment

Originally posted by Spongeocto4 View Post

Maybe having food names on a Quick Service menu, was not a smart idea. Table Service on the other hand, allows a personal menu with a description big enough to explain what the food actually is. Good thing they had their bases covered with Table Ser-

...Oh yeah, it doesn't exist because of a certain individual's decision. Will somebody tell me why you would cut a table service restaurant, but keep a store that sell $200 lightsabers?!! Which is likely to be the better long term investment?!!

Your Grandpa made what?!

Off Topic: On a side note, Debbie Reynolds granddaughter(Billie Lourd) also appears in the new Star Wars movies, along side her mother, Carrie Fisher.
                                          He ran Elstree. Had no idea as a kid...just wondered why he was in LA a lot. Didn't know anything until I was way into my 30's.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X