Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    It's a well-known marketing tactic, called "Confusion Aversion from Over-Immersion."
    you sure......I though
    it was call
    "Over-Immersion from Confusion Aversion"
    what do I know?lol
    Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Originally posted by NGW View Post
      So much for that all immersive experience. Can't have people actually reading beyond the name of the dish in order to decide what to order eh? What a joke, people gotta ruin everything for everyone eh?
      This is why the land simply doesn't belong in Disneyland, where every single other land/attraction is terrestrial-based--even Fantasyland.

Now we've gotta learn another friggin' language just to be able to eat? Please.

Comment

I don't usually watch FreshBaked, but they just put out a video on why Disney is "un-theming" the food. I'm curious to hear their thoughts.

Comment

Originally posted by Right Down Broadway View Post

This is why the land simply doesn't belong in Disneyland, where every single other land/attraction is terrestrial-based--even Fantasyland.

Now we've gotta learn another friggin' language just to be able to eat? Please.
          I mean, you just have to read a couple of extra lines, hell I usually do that even if I know what something is just to see what it's paired with or if I want/need to sub something. Are people this lazy?

Comment

Originally posted by NGW View Post

I mean, you just have to read a couple of extra lines, hell I usually do that even if I know what something is just to see what it's paired with or if I want/need to sub something. Are people this lazy?
            Why do I need to expend ANY extra effort to read the fine print to order lunch for myself and the family while I'm on vacation in a theme park? Can you imagine trying to order for kids who can't read yet?

Comment

Originally posted by Disneyidol View Post

Agreed, if Disneyland wants to really win me back all they need to do is bring back the French Fries with the Fried Chicken they used to serve at the French Market
              And Red Beans & Rice!

Comment

I haven't been to SWGE yet, but I have a feeling that before I get there they'll have changed the menu to just be hamburgers/hot dogs/chicken fingers/etc. Much cheaper from an expense perspective, and people will still buy it unfortunately.

Comment

What is the true name of Blue Milk?

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Weaver View Post
                    Dairy Free Fruit Smoothie

Comment

Originally posted by HiddenMickey87 View Post
                      I could see it being confusing for customers, however this goes to show that no matter how hard one tries, 100% immersion into an IP just isn't possible.
                      While Disney and Universal may try to get it right with GE and Harry Potter Land, respectively, truth is, these IPs are best enjoyed in our imaginations, in print or on film. No doubt people love these lands and no doubt they may be inspiring to many, but it's nothing like the universal realms of adventure, frontier, fantasy and tomorrow, upon which Disneyland was founded, and became successful.
                      I think the Harry Potter stuff is probably more easy to immerse in since they exist on Earth and really co-mingle with "muggles" anyways. And Universal has done a fantastic job with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post

Yup. Disney is learning the lesson that the majority of the public doesn't follow Disney's Star Wars sequels closely enough to know the nomenclature. The menu puns were a self-conscious stretch from the get-go. Disney is copying Harry Potter Land -- and finding out that their Star Wars Sequel-Land isn't in the same league of familiarity.
                        Another thing that doesn't help is that food really has never been a part of the Star Wars movies. The only couple times I remember food was that stuff Yoda was trying to steal from Luke (looked like chocolate bars) and the stew Yoda was making in his home. Then, in the newer movies, Rae purchased these disgusting looking "portions" to eat. Yuck, looked revolting and unappetizing. I'm sure there's probably a couple other times food might have been eaten that I don't remember, but it really doesn't play a "role" in those movies.

Harry Potter movies/books are full of yummy food references though.
                        Last edited by chickinvic; 10-18-2019, 10:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by chickinvic View Post

I think the Harry Potter stuff is probably more easy to immerse in since they exist on Earth and really co-mingle with "muggles" anyways. And Universal has done a fantastic job with it.
                          Yep, when I think of "space food," it's not the most appetizing thing that comes to mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Weaver View Post
                            Cash Cow Juice.

Comment

Yep, when I think of "space food," it's not the most appetizing thing that comes to mind.
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	space.jpg
Views:	432
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	8605761
                              “Not the least hard thing to bear when they go from us, these quiet friends, is that they carry away with them so many years of our own lives.”

DL Trips: '58, '59, '61, '65, '66, '67, '68x2, '69x2, '70x2, '71x2, '73x2, '74x2, '75x2, '76x2, '77, '78,x2, '79x2, '80x2, '81, '82, '83, '88, '89x3, '90x2, '91, '93, '94, '95x2, '96, '97, '98x4, '99, '00, '01, '02, '03, '04, '05, '06, '07x2, '08, '09x2, '10, '11, '13
                              WDW Trips: '81
                              EPCOT Trips: '93
                              Tokyo DL Trips: '86

Comment

Originally posted by spinycactus View Post
                                I don't see this as all that big a deal to get upset over. It's just food.
                                Huge change -- the kind people will revolt over -- will never happen all at once. Change happens slowly over time, with things that most people will consider "no big deal."

A menu change here.
                                Close Court des Anges there.
                                Change the Redhead here.
                                Raise the price 20 cents there.
                                Smaller portions here.
                                Higher prices there.
                                Generic merchandise here.
                                Less amenities there.
                                Upcharges here.
                                ... and so forth.

If I had a nickel for every time I've heard "it's no big deal" on these boards, I'd buy Fox back from Disney.

Comment

Huge change -- the kind people will revolt over -- will never happen all at once. Change happens slowly over time, with things that most people will consider "no big deal."

A menu change here.
                                  Close Court des Anges there.
                                  Change the Redhead here.
                                  Raise the price 20 cents there.
                                  Smaller portions here.
                                  Higher prices there.
                                  Generic merchandise here.
                                  Less amenities there.
                                  Upcharges here.
                                  ... and so forth.

If I had a nickel for every time I've heard "it's no big deal" on these boards, I'd buy Fox back from Disney.
                                  Bingo. It's another example of Disney management's famous (or infamous) Declining by Degrees.

"Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
                                  it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
                                  together with every variety of recreation and fun,
                                  designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
                                  - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
                                  - Bob Chapek

Comment

Originally posted by Right Down Broadway View Post

Why do I need to expend ANY extra effort to read the fine print to order lunch for myself and the family while I'm on vacation in a theme park? Can you imagine trying to order for kids who can't read yet?
                                    Just my two cents/opinion here but I always felt the menu was very clear. It's not like they put an asterisk next to each item and told Guests: *more information available on the Disneyland App, download today!

Click image for larger version  Name:	docking-bay-7-food-and-cargo-menu-at-disneys-hollywood-studios-deemphasizes-star-wars-themed-names-3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	78.8 KB ID:	8605776

-and by an extension of thinking this way, I feel, then why are we expected to read, study or figure out anything on our vacations? I'll concede that yes, while on vacation one needs to be free of as much "work" as possible but at some point or another, we are (reasonably so) tasked with reading the "fine print" on things, eventually. Fastpass information, required research/extra reading for parade/show times guides, character meeting times, or even the smaller details/nuances on older IP-less attractions that aren't immediately visible on a surface level, so on and so forth. Disney assuming folks are incapable of or too lazy to read past the first few words is like them assuming that folks are incapable of reading past "Meet Mickey". ..well, maybe that's more true than I care to admit; "But where? What times?"

As far as ordering for kids who can't read yet, I imagine it can't be much worse than a parent trying to explain to their child what "Bolognese" sauce is over at the Plaza Inn, a conversation I had consistently while working the pasta station over back in 2006.

Where efficiency is concerned; it's not like there's massive amounts of folks swarming GE like Disney expected, anyways. All my visits to Docking Bay 7 Food and Cargo/Ronto Roasters have had few people in line (seating was a different story, though) and I'd personally take that and a chance to look over the larger than life menus on the wall/the monitors at my own pace/relax and enjoy myself than waiting in the cattle line that some other eateries in the park become at certain points during the day then hastily being tossed my "Beef Pot Roast".

Maybe this change will draw more people in. I really don't know. Again, GE has other issues that could have been addressed before worrying about this. But maybe they are hoping it's low-hanging fruit that will bring a bit more money in to the location. Not sure if I expect the change to be incredibly drastic, though. An efficiency improvement technically for sure but disappointing to me none the less. My wife and I thought the menu was a lot of fun before.
                                    Last edited by Blurr; 10-18-2019, 01:38 PM. Reason: Added a bit about attractions
                                    "I take no side. I am beyond your worrying and wars. I am unseen. Unknowable. Like a rock in the river."

Comment

There goes my life-long dream of either having a porg burger or a wookiee steak.

How's your wookiee steak? Well, it's a little chewie.

Comment

Originally posted by Zorro View Post
                                        There goes my life-long dream of either having a porg burger or a wookiee steak.

How's your wookiee steak? Well, it's a little chewie.
                                        Aggh! The farce is strong with this one.
                                        "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
                                        it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
                                        together with every variety of recreation and fun,
                                        designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
                                        - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
                                        - Bob Chapek

Comment

Originally posted by stovk View Post

Click image for larger version

Name:	space.jpg
Views:	432
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	8605761
                                          Oh my gosh, I used to eat those things when I was a kid! We thought it was so cool to be eating the same food the astronauts ate. They were awful, by the way, but we ate them anyway and pretended we were riding on Flight to the Moon at Disneyland.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X