Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Blurr View Post
    I didn't know a Shaak was the name of the creature that Anakin rode while courting Padme' on Naboo but thanks to ordering the Braised Shaak Roast, I now do simply because my curiosity had been sparked and I wanted to learn more about what I was eating. I know that sort of thing isn't for everyone and doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things but at least it was there for folks who wanted to go past "Beef Pot Roast".
    Don't feel bad. The whole time we were working on Attack of the Clones at ILM the majority of us didn't know what that creature's name was either. We just called them the "flea cows". It was extremely difficult not to laugh out loud every time a shot with them in it would show up in dailies. I'm glad they weren't in any of the shots I worked on. (They've got to taste better than they look.)

Comment

Originally posted by HiddenMickey87 View Post

A menu change here.
      Close Court des Anges there.
      Change the Redhead here.
      Raise the price 20 cents there.
      Smaller portions here.
      Higher prices there.
      Generic merchandise here.
      Less amenities there.
      Upcharges here.
      ... and so forth.
      Did you mean to nearly paraphrase part 'Master of the House' from Les Miserables?

Charge 'em for the lice, extra for the mice
      Two percent for looking in the mirror twice (Hand it over!)
      Here a little slice, there a little cut
      Three percent for sleeping with the window shut
      When it comes to fixing prices
      There are a lot of tricks I knows
      How it all increases, all those bits and pieces
      Jesus! It's amazing how it grows!
      If not, that was a crazy coincidence!

Comment

I could see it being confusing for customers, however this goes to show that no matter how hard one tries, 100% immersion into an IP just isn't possible.
        While Disney and Universal may try to get it right with GE and Harry Potter Land, respectively, truth is, these IPs are best enjoyed in our imaginations, in print or on film. No doubt people love these lands and no doubt they may be inspiring to many, but it's nothing like the universal realms of adventure, frontier, fantasy and tomorrow, upon which Disneyland was founded, and became successful.
        This is almost always the case. It is customer drive, not Disney driven. In a perfect world many people want to be immersed. However, when the family is hungry, it's busy, it's hot, and it's been a long day, Mom and Dad don't want to ask for clarification on what is a hot dog and what isn't they just want to feed the kids now....The same thing happens when more "themed" or "exotic" options are ultimately dropped, it's usually because guests just want a cheeseburger, and not some take on cous cous and chicken.

Not much to be done about the latter, which is a shame since I really enjoy some of the more creative options, but for the former you think adjusting the menu's to have the "themed" names stay with the "real names" in subscript immediately underneath would work.

Comment

Originally posted by linkeq2001 View Post

which is a shame since I really enjoy some of the more creative options, but for the former you think adjusting the menu's to have the "themed" names stay with the "real names" in subscript immediately underneath would work.
          I like this concept.......
          It's OK have a Theme name
          But ,would like to know ,What I really getting ......with a price tag.
          IMO

Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Originally posted by linkeq2001 View Post

This is almost always the case. It is customer drive, not Disney driven. In a perfect world many people want to be immersed. However, when the family is hungry, it's busy, it's hot, and it's been a long day, Mom and Dad don't want to ask for clarification on what is a hot dog and what isn't they just want to feed the kids now....The same thing happens when more "themed" or "exotic" options are ultimately dropped, it's usually because guests just want a cheeseburger, and not some take on cous cous and chicken.

Not much to be done about the latter, which is a shame since I really enjoy some of the more creative options, but for the former you think adjusting the menu's to have the "themed" names stay with the "real names" in subscript immediately underneath would work.
            In this case, the decision to change seems like it was purely customer driven. It cost Disney no extra money to have named the dishes what they did, but it might've been costing them in terms of loss if your average Joe who has no imagination or patience to figure out what the food/drink is. It sounds kinda sad to me that they decided to go ahead with the changes, but it's not surprising. It's kind of like the situation where people were asked if they would buy a 1/3rd lb burger vs. a 1/4rd at the same price with one reigning supreme is blind taste tests. Yeah, it didn't work out all that well and I know you guys can imagine why...

Comment

Isn’t this in DHS only? Pretty sure Disneyland’s hasn’t changed. At least yet.

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
              ~

Comment

On the one hand, I guess I don't quite understand the level of upset here since the collective reaction to SWGE seems to have been between "it sucks," "it's boring," and "it's all a Bob Chapek money grab, they should have spent the $$ refurb'ing Tomorrowland."

I think that the source of the problem is with the font they picked for the text on the posted sign-based menus. It looks like a Star Wars-y sort of font. But at the same time, that can make it also a little harder to read, especially if you are standing farther away. It'll take the average person longer to read the menu than it would at another quick serve restaurant in another land in the park.

Then when you add on top of it the Star Wars-y titles to the dishes, the average park goer gets confused. Not **every** park guest is going to read the entire description of sides that come with main dishes on a quick serve menu. They'd see something like "pot roast" or "fried chicken" or "salad" and think, "Oh, fried chicken? That sounds fine. I'll get that."

But now instead of a decision that normally would take a couple of minutes, it might take them several minutes to read the menu, study it, talk to their kids & figure out what the kids want, too, etc., etc. Add in the fact that the font style could be hard to read from just standing there in line, so you need to have the printed menu in front of you....

All resulting in it then takes longer to make a decision and complete a transaction. I'm not making excuses, of course, just explaining what may be going on for the average park guest in that particular dining location. There might not be a lot of people in SWGE now, but maybe they're trying to tweak aspects of park operations in that section of the park before Rise of the Resistance opens in January, anticipating more park guests at that time.

Comment

Originally posted by Spongeocto4 View Post

Did you mean to nearly paraphrase part 'Master of the House' from Les Miserables?

If not, that was a crazy coincidence!
                  Yep, pure coincidence! lol

Comment

Aren't there little menus with pictures of the dishes on them inside Docking Bay? I could've sworn we were given such a thing when we ate there the first time. I think the real problem is the food in SWGE isn't very good. Changing the names isn't going to help with that.
                    "I wish they all could be California Bears!"

Comment

Oh, a few minor tweaks can fix this all up:

"Iger/Lucas Beef" Pot Roast
                      "Chapek's Lost His Noodles" and Shrimp Salad
                      "PR's Blowin' Smoke"'d Ribs
                      "Catherine Powell's Fired Fried Chicken"
                      disappointing- were
                      Rebecca Campbell-Roasted - at Disneyland -
                      Chicken Salad
                      Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Star Wars Themed Names Returning to Menu Items at Docking Bay 7 Food & Cargo in Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge at Disney’s Hollywood Studios

Click image for larger version

Name:	docking-bay-7-menu-re-renaming-oct-2019_1-1200x900.jpg
Views:	463
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	8605931

Sorry, we are not allowed to post links to wdwnt, but Google is your friend...
                        Dumbo rats: the other lovable rodents.

Comment

Did the prices go up?

Comment

Did the prices go up?
                            Maybe it's me.......(looking at the menus, in this thread)

I eat out a lot ,I looking at the Disney price list.......
                            Now it also depends ,how much one get.....
                            But you go to Norms-Denny's-IHOP and some other's place
                            looks to me it darn close to price.....even the drinks
                            imo
                            I think now it all pricey now.....when one goes out......
                            Last edited by Eagleman; 10-21-2019, 02:22 PM.
                            Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

I would love to be a fly on the wall for these meetings.

Exec 1: "We aren't selling TIP YIP, Janet! Guests don't want to buy it!"
                              Exec 2: "I don't care if no one buys it and if guests hold up the line for 10 minutes confused about what to order, Alphonse. If we break the realism the blogs and forums will never forgive us."

Comment

Originally posted by WaltDisney'sAlec View Post
                                I would love to be a fly on the wall for these meetings.

Exec 1: "We aren't selling TIP YIP, Janet! Guests don't want to buy it!"
                                Exec 2: "I don't care if no one buys it and if guests hold up the line for 10 minutes confused about what to order, Alphonse. If we break the realism the blogs and forums will never forgive us."
                                LOL! Okay, somebody's gotta start an "Alphonse and Janet" comic strip -- the mis-adventures of two hapless TDA execs whose attempts to climb the corporate ladder keep backfiring.
                                "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
                                it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
                                together with every variety of recreation and fun,
                                designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
                                - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
                                - Bob Chapek

Comment

IMO
                                  I still feel the Disney Board of D
                                  irectors
                                  will get there next CEO from a out side source .........
                                  I going by what ,I read in the marketing ,business NEWS
                                  ( we see...... )
                                  PS: I would not trust ,the any part of Disney
                                  corporate ladder......
                                  to many missing steps with the 2 Bobs around.
                                  Last edited by Eagleman; 10-21-2019, 06:15 PM.
                                  Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Originally posted by whiteness View Post
                                    Star Wars Themed Names Returning to Menu Items at Docking Bay 7 Food & Cargo in Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge at Disney’s Hollywood Studios

Sorry, we are not allowed to post links to wdwnt, but Google is your friend...
                                    The drinks and desserts still have themed names, but all the DHS entree names are purely descriptive (Fried Chicken, Smoked Pork Ribs, etc).

Comment

NO WAY ,I paying $4.25 for a small bottle ~WATER~ ......matter what name it has
                                      Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Originally posted by Eagleman View Post
                                        NO WAY ,I paying $4.25 for a small bottle ~WATER~ ......matter what name it has
                                        Right? And you can get free cups of ice water just by asking for it!
                                        Dumbo rats: the other lovable rodents.

Comment

Originally posted by whiteness View Post

Right? And you can get free cups of ice water just by asking for it!
                                          Just ask......I happy with just a cup water
                                          Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X