Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Rumor] High-tech ride system to premiere with Avengers

So, evidently Avengers Academy is going to introduce a revolutionary new "High-tech" ride system (as reported in Inside the Magic website.) This has me intrigued.

We’re inventing an all-new ride system for this,” Walt Disney Imagineering’s Scot Drake said during a New York Comic Con 2019 panel. “The demands of these characters and this experience is forcing us to invent and we’re really excited about that. It’s going to be something like you’ve never seen before.

They used the examples of Soarin’ Around the World at DCA, but refer to an "individual flight" and it's supposed to be open in 2020.

I'm just wondering. If they're having so much trouble with the ride system for SWGE:RoR, how on earth are they going to get an even more advanced ride system ready for 2020?

See what Disney had done? In the past I would have no doubt MAPO, WED, and WDI Gen1 could get the job done. However, these days, confidence is not all that high.
    “Not the least hard thing to bear when they go from us, these quiet friends, is that they carry away with them
    so many years of our own lives.”

DL Trips: '58, '59, '61, '65, '66, '67, '68x2, '69x2, '70x2, '71x2, '73x2, '74x2, '75x2, '76x2, '77, '78,x2, '79x2, '80x2, '81, '82, '83, '88, '89x3, '90x2, '91, '93, '94, '95x2, '96, '97, '98x4, '99, '00, '01, '02, '03, '04, '05, '06, '07x2, '08, '09x2, '10, '11, '13
    WDW Trips: '81
    EPCOT Trips: '93
    Tokyo DL Trips: '86

So is this in regards to the Spider-Man attraction?
    These are some of my favorite TRs I have posted

DL 55th BDAY trip report
    My company had a special night at the park
    WdW trip report with WWoHP
    NYE 2011 trip report
    Mice Chat 7th anniversary
    Leap year 24 hour report
    New DCA trip report
    NYE 2012
    HKDL trip report

Comment

Originally posted by biggsworth View Post
      So is this in regards to the Spider-Man attraction?
      According to the article:

We’re going to transform from this group experience to this individual flight,” Drake said during the panel. “This is going to be the basis of our own origin story. We’re going to build back up and get to fight alongside with all the Avengers in this epic battle in Wakanda.
      “Not the least hard thing to bear when they go from us, these quiet friends, is that they carry away with them

DL Trips: '58, '59, '61, '65, '66, '67, '68x2, '69x2, '70x2, '71x2, '73x2, '74x2, '75x2, '76x2, '77, '78,x2, '79x2, '80x2, '81, '82, '83, '88, '89x3, '90x2, '91, '93, '94, '95x2, '96, '97, '98x4, '99, '00, '01, '02, '03, '04, '05, '06, '07x2, '08, '09x2, '10, '11, '13

Comment

Originally posted by stovk View Post

According to the article:

We’re going to transform from this group experience to this individual flight,” Drake said during the panel. “This is going to be the basis of our own origin story. We’re going to build back up and get to fight alongside with all the Avengers in this epic battle in Wakanda.
        Ah I see I don't think that attraction is slated to open anytime soon officially. 2020 would be amazing but I don't think they are even building it yet.
        These are some of my favorite TRs I have posted

DL 55th BDAY trip report
        My company had a special night at the park
        WdW trip report with WWoHP
        NYE 2011 trip report
        Mice Chat 7th anniversary
        Leap year 24 hour report
        New DCA trip report
        NYE 2012
        HKDL trip report

Comment

Originally posted by biggsworth View Post

Ah I see I don't think that attraction is slated to open anytime soon officially. 2020 would be amazing but I don't think they are even building it yet.
          I see, It's coming into focus now. Sounds like it's going to be SWGE part duex. They'll probably open an inferior, screen-based ride like Spiderman, then over promise and over hype this "high-tech/never before seen" Attraction. I have a bad feeling about this.

Comment

Sound Cool......

BUT........Way disappointments been happening with Disney..........
            and coming from
            New York Comic Con
            It Sound like another Disney "PR" Hype..........
            which, I have no trust in !

IMO
            Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

The Avengers ride has not begun construction yet. Nor an exact location has been determined, although it sounds like it will be next to Harbor Blvd. Possibly replacing the backstage buildings, added during DCA 2.0

While I'm glad that the Imagineers are being "creative" with the ride schematics, the Avengers Ride has me worrying for two different reasons.

First, Imagineers has become very problematic when building recent rides. Instead of building high capacity rides (in the vein of PoTC, IASW, or HM), WDI keeps ushering out rides with extremel low rideship capacity. Or in other words, attractions with wait times that are longer than they should be!

And I while understand they're not the ones who approve the budgets, they have made questionable design choices, like having ROTR being an elaborate multiple parts ride. You know its bad, when its been delayed for over 7 months!

The second reason, on why I'm worried...is Chapek. On top of the Galaxy Edge dilemma, he allegedly has been very unsatisfied with the ride proposals for the Avengers ride (possibly because of costs...). So much, that he turn down Imagineer proposals TWICE. And while I have concerns with WDI, I have been flat out baffled by Chapek decisions, and his lack of concern over any of the recent criticisms and issues, involving the parks.

And it should be noted that while Iger admitted that crowd expectations were not met for GE, Chapek has acted everything has been fine.

Comment

Another Issue........I have
                This going be another Screen Base Ride.....?
                "GETTING OLD"
                imo
                Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Wait. If Avengers is getting a new high-tech ride system, then does that mean Spiderman is just a rehash of what's already been done (TSMM meets Legoland's Ninjago)? The answer to my rhetorical question is obviously yes.

As a newer Avengers fan, I am certainly excited for this. The fact that construction hasn't started yet strikes me as a double-edged sword. It's unfortunate, because I feel like Tom Staggs would have wasted no time greenlighting this and getting it built, even if it would cost a tidy sum. The fact that Chapek hasn't started construction yet means that maybe the project still has a chance to get a deserving budget when construction finally comes. Rise of the Resistance is well designed, but rumors about Chapek contracting the trackless ride system to a cheaper (and less reputable) Chinese company is illustrative. (The rumor being that because WDW was behind in construction, they corrected the mistake and changed contractors before it was too late, where as DLR had to go back and fix something they already built.)

When DCA had its grand re-opening ceremony, regular guests knew Tom Staggs' name (like we know Chapek's) and shouted out to him like a fan would (unlike we would with Chapek). Tom came over and the first thing he asked the family was what they were most excited to see. Of course, they answered Radiator Springs Racers, and rightly so. Tom said "That's it. That seems to be the thing everyone is most excited for out of this entire land." He knew the value innovative E-tickets had with guests, and he wouldn't be caught dead cutting their budgets or opening a land without them.

With all of that said, I have faith in Imagineering to design a magnificent E-ticket ride. I've been on Flight of Passage and Rise of the Resistance looks amazing. Even the Shanghai E-tickets like Tron and their version of Pirates look excellent. As for capacity, I think they've been hitting the right notes lately. The old moves like omnimovers aren't as exciting anymore (Ariel at DCA, Nemo at WDW). Boat movers that don't adopt the technologies they implement in Shanghai (roller coaster hybrid) tend to create problems with the guest experience evident in the most recent Bumper Boats thread. Extended queue and pre-show experiences that begin before the ride are a way to involve guests before they board their ride vehicle. The longer the preshow, the less time guests feel like they're waiting in line while still keeping crowds queued and out of the park walkways. I think it is a hallmark of a great ride experience, from Haunted Mansion to Tower of Terror to Rise of the Resistance. When I hit that point in a queue, I don't feel like I'm waiting in line anymore and should be filling my time with Head's Up or something like that. Maybe people don't feel similarly, but I think this is the tack that Imagineering is taking. When you can't cram people into a ride without making it worse, let's expand our definition of when the ride begins.

Comment

See what Disney had done? In the past I would have no doubt MAPO, WED, and WDI Gen1 could get the job done. However, these days, confidence is not all that high.
                    Sadly true. To earn back the public confidence they used to have, Disney will have to show they can innovate for our time today at the same level of creativity and showmanship that they did in the era of the 60s. And that's going to take more than one ride.
                    "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
                    it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
                    together with every variety of recreation and fun,
                    designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
                    - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
                    - Bob Chapek

Comment

Not excited for another motion simulator.

Comment

I'm just wondering. If they're having so much trouble with the ride system for SWGE:RoR, how on earth are they going to get an even more advanced ride system ready for 2020?
                        It really depends on the ride system. There's such a wide variety of things that a new ride system could mean these days that I feel like at the end of the day it'll all come down to logisitcs. Different ride systems weather novel or not are just going to require different amounts of test and adjust. Could be anything from worse than the RoR delays or even the Test Track delays of yore to something basic that clicks along surprisingly easily.

I guess for me I don't doubt the engineering talent, I just feel management is overshooting their timelines announcing products then trying to rush them along to synergize with whatevers popular.

I love me some amazing/deep/intricate Disney attractions but I think Disney as a company needs to create a more middle ground approach to this franchise stuff. Bigger attractions really do need the time to breath and be developed apart from whatevers trending. At the same time certain areas of the park as well as certain attraction pads could probably be made into something more dynamic and interchangeable beyond what their traditional entertainment/event rollouts have been.

However the implementation of dynamic spaces seems to require a commitment modern Disney is simple to erratic to think through.

I dunno at the end of the day I guess I'm still wondering exactly what these attractions will even look like and until I get a better idea of what the new ride system is I'm very hesitant to guess on what difficulties would need to be overcome in getting it running.
                        "We all have sparks, imagination! it's how our minds... create creations!"

Comment

I don't trust Disney "PR" spin and there "HYPE"!
                          With most time ....end up with
                          Disappointments imo
                          Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

It's so far in the future that I'm not gravely concerned, but the last few times where we've heard buzz about a new tech system have resulted/may result in a huge payoffs - I'm looking at Shanghai Pirates and quite literally every tidbit of sentiment around whatever state ROTR is currently in is, to quote one insider, "off the charts."

I'm taking a wait-and-see approach with this (the shocking antithesis to Disney fandom, I know. )

Comment

Originally posted by denyuntilcaught View Post
                              I'm taking a wait-and-see approach with this (the shocking antithesis to Disney fandom, I know. )
                              Not necessarily. I keep waiting for management to reach their nadir and turn it around -- each new attraction is an opportunity for it to happen. The arguments against it happening with the Avengers are many; still, it has to start somewhere. Improbable is not impossible.

- Walt Disney

- Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
                              - Bob Chapek

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post

Not necessarily. I keep waiting for management to reach their nadir and turn it around -- each new attraction is an opportunity for it to happen. The arguments against it happening with the Avengers are many; still, it has to start somewhere. Improbable is not impossible.
                                Definitely don't disagree with you. We've gotten crap like Pixar Pier within 2 years of the expected brilliance of ROTR, so consistency hasn't been Disney's strength over the past few years.

Comment

Originally posted by denyuntilcaught View Post
                                  Definitely don't disagree with you. We've gotten crap like Pixar Pier within 2 years of the expected brilliance of ROTR, so consistency hasn't been Disney's strength over the past few years.
                                  Yep. There's plenty of creativity and passion at WDI, but it's all at the bottom of the power hierarchy. Without a John (or even a Marty) to exec-produce these projects -- a heavy-hitter exec with strong creative chops, the corporate clout to cut through the committee reviews, and the business savvy to sell Finance on a reasonable budget -- WDI is left to follow the orders of whichever DPEP, TDB, TDA or TDO VP(s) appears to be calling the shots (I say "appears" because it's sometimes not clear who's in charge). Sadly, Iger doesn't seem to be even looking for a replacement for John.

- Walt Disney

- Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
                                  - Bob Chapek

Comment

WDI
                                    creativity
                                    is not what use to be
                                    it now under the Marketing House, of Chapek's the Cheap Plastic Salesman
                                    imo
                                    Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

I read this and all I see is "more screens" I know that is really the easiest way to get these properties in the parks, as a screen Tony Stark and Captain American is much easier to replicate than an AA. My hope is that they combine the two, like Harry Potter and get the benefits of screens replicating movie characters with the interesting tangible effects that physical sets provide. In that small space they are putting these rides, however, I think that we are more than likely going to get more purely screen based stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post

Yep. There's plenty of creativity and passion at WDI, but it's all at the bottom of the power hierarchy. Without a John (or even a Marty) to exec-produce these projects -- a heavy-hitter exec with strong creative chops, the corporate clout to cut through the committee reviews, and the business savvy to sell Finance on a reasonable budget -- WDI is left to follow the orders of whichever DPEP, TDB, TDA or TDO VP(s) appears to be calling the shots (I say "appears" because it's sometimes not clear who's in charge). Sadly, Iger doesn't seem to be even looking for a replacement for John.
                                        One can't help, but wonder how Feige has figured into the land. It should be noted rhat with his recent promotion, he's now Chief Creative Officer for the entirety of Marvel, now.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X