Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disneyland Merchandise Gone Generic?

A few years ago, I remember that they rolled out a new line of clothing that was more "upscale," and they were starting to introduce a lot more unique merchandise in their store locations. I think the upscale line was called "1923" or something along those lines.

Now everything is super generic and gaudy-tourist looking, and is carried in every store, which has been a longtime issue to be fair. I just seem to remember there was a short time a few years ago where we had some great variety - including tasteful clothing selections that adults could wear outside of Disneyland and not look like a lost tourist. Am I the only one who's noticed this? What happened to the nice merchandise?

It's been brought up a bunch here but yes. The newer stuff plain sucks lol. I love spending my hard earned cash on nice art, decorations etc. They have scalef back those items a lot and what you do find in the parks are cheaply made. Their clothing is hit or miss now also. I have been to the parks a lot this year due to having an AP and we make to only find a couple things to buy. That was some items from SWGE that haven't been in stock since it's first weekend.
    These are some of my favorite TRs I have posted

DL 55th BDAY trip report
    My company had a special night at the park
    WdW trip report with WWoHP
    NYE 2011 trip report
    Mice Chat 7th anniversary
    Leap year 24 hour report
    New DCA trip report
    NYE 2012
    HKDL trip report

Comment

Well, I'm glad to know I'm not the only one. We just got annual passes again this year after a hiatus, and the change in merchandise variety and quality is very noticeable from even just a couple years ago. We kept looking for the nice stuff, thinking that we were missing it somehow or that it had been moved to a central location. In the process, we just found the same stuff...in every store. It's very disappointing.

Comment

As biggsworth said, this has been an ongoing issue and was discussed extensively here

What is sad is that the group that Kevin Kidney worked for was shutdown in 2007 and pretty much told their services "were not needed". That's when the generic WalMart crap started making it's way into the park. Another casualty due to the sharp pencil people.

Here is a little exchange I had with Kevin:

KS: How come we don't get unique beautiful items like this anymore? Look through the Disney catalog today and everything looks like cheap Walmart junk or an unending theme of Star Wars rebrands. I think craftsmanship is forever lost at Disney in exchange for a fast buck of mass-produced trinkets.

PK: The scary part is, we're not even talking about a different era - we're talking about a decade and a half ago! Talk about rapid diminishment!

Kevin & Jody: The Disney Catalog that we worked for went bankrupt and shut down within a year of management letting go of 35 artists and designers in a mass layoff. It was a maneuver intended to save Disney money but it killed the whole business. The 8 years that we worked for the Catalog was a time of great output and creativity. The artists there were amazing--all of us were huge Disney fans, and completely dedicated to the art and the Disney brand. It's a shame that was lost.
        Last edited by stovk; 10-21-2019, 11:39 AM.
        “Not the least hard thing to bear when they go from us, these quiet friends, is that they carry away with them
        so many years of our own lives.”

DL Trips: '58, '59, '61, '65, '66, '67, '68x2, '69x2, '70x2, '71x2, '73x2, '74x2, '75x2, '76x2, '77, '78,x2, '79x2, '80x2, '81, '82, '83, '88, '89x3, '90x2, '91, '93, '94, '95x2, '96, '97, '98x4, '99, '00, '01, '02, '03, '04, '05, '06, '07x2, '08, '09x2, '10, '11, '13
        WDW Trips: '81
        EPCOT Trips: '93
        Tokyo DL Trips: '86

Comment

I miss the Disney Classic Collection. Beautiful figurines with poses and expressions straight from the movies. Now all the statues are resin and yes, they're cute, but they don't look anywhere near as nice.
          "I wish they all could be California Bears!"

Comment

Yes, the merchandise has been generic for some time now. You still find nice things once in a while, but fewer and fewer is "Disneyland"-specific. You can not only find the same stuff in DL & WDW, but you have merchandise crossing between lands (i.e. Star Wars stuff in Frontierland).

Apparently Disney has to modify Mickey to appease every demographic. Whereas Mickey used to just be your everyday kind of guy that everyone could relate to, now he has to be a hipster and whatever else have you.

Comment

Disneyland had cool Logo
              merchandises
              at all price range.......for the park use to sell it self........
              Now all about IP's items.....that is cheaply made.

One is lucky to just a T-Shirt.....that is not
              cheaply made.
              I find that
              disappointing as well.......
              Most store now is just a look in , and walk back out!
              Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

I don't know what they were thinking about when they went to "Disney Parks" . I want DISNEYLAND stuff. I don't care about your money-saving/marketing name changes.
                Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream.
                Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by sailor310 View Post
                  I don't know what they were thinking about when they went to "Disney Parks" . I want DISNEYLAND stuff. I don't care about your money-saving/marketing name changes.
                  Yep. That was part of the "One Disney" initiative from Jay Rasulo, who was following in the footsteps of his predecessor, Paul Pressler (the double-digit profits that Paul extracted from Disneyland made him a hero in the Eisner regime). One of Paul's first moves was to flood Disneyland stores with the same cheap, high-volume merchandise that he had purchased as head of Disney Stores. I remember seeing everything from packages of candy to Mickey plush with the small Disneyland price tag stuck on top of the larger Disney Store price tag, and sadly unable to cover it. Since then, the quality, variety and theme-appropriateness of Disneyland merchandise has been declining by degrees -- each new management regime invents its own methods to increase its profit margin from that of its predecessor.
                  "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
                  it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
                  together with every variety of recreation and fun,
                  designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
                  - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
                  - Bob Chapek

Comment

But I feel like 5 years ago they were kind of turning this around - there were some neat new lines of stuff coming out, including higher end "dressier" Disneyland clothing (dress shirts, etc.) that was very subtly and tastefully designed. Now its all Target/Walmart stuff again. What happened to the dressy stuff?

Comment

Originally posted by Theme_Park_Insider View Post
                      But I feel like 5 years ago they were kind of turning this around - there were some neat new lines of stuff coming out, including higher end "dressier" Disneyland clothing (dress shirts, etc.) that was very subtly and tastefully designed. Now its all Target/Walmart stuff again. What happened to the dressy stuff?
                      The Chapek regime happened: A new head of Disney Parks with his own strategies for increasing profits. No matter what they did five years ago, downline management must march to the new beat if they value their jobs. And if they want to move up the ladder, they'd best act like team players and contribute ideas on increasing profits -- ideas that reflect the team leader's methods, values, taste, and attitude toward the customers. When downline management sees their boss onstage at D23, acting more enthusiastic about the Target deal than anything else on his agenda, there's no question what they have to do with merchandise at DLR.

Especially when they remember that Chapek was Iger's appointee, and is still on the short list of potential Iger successors.

Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 10-21-2019, 06:47 AM.
                      "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
                      it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
                      together with every variety of recreation and fun,
                      designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
                      - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
                      - Bob Chapek

Comment

The upscale clothing line was called "Twenty Eight and Main" and had some great merchandise. Definitely replaced by a cheaper and less classy look. The Kevin & Jody collectibles as well as Olszewski Miniatures are sorely missed. What's even more disappointing is the fact that Disney shut down the Olszewski miniatures before the final Fantasyland pieces were released. Now collectors have platforms with huge holes in them that can never be finished.

Comment

I agree it is shocking that a so called expert in retail merchandising would put milk at the front every aside in the store and eggs on every end cap forgetting one of the key strategies in shopping that you keep common merchandise in the back and force your customers to venture down every aisle. We used to actually shop in the park checking out each store for unique stuff and now you just go to the World of Disney Store in DTD and find everything at one stop on the way out rarely going into individual stores in the park. Also the quality of soft goods is also very noticeably poorly designed. We used to often impulse buy merchandise but now it is difficult to find something we really feel we want my wife has tried all year to find a new t-shirt and sweat shirt but each visit she comes up short not seeing anything she likes same with my two pre-teen daughters.

Comment

As T-shirts goes - I find what I want , more easy at
                            World of Disney Store
                            in DTD

in fact ,that goes with most Items.......
                            IMO most of the time it just less crowed...then the shops in the parks.

I guess it is what one is looking for, as
                            merchandises goes ?
                            Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

The mugs are large and made from a heavy, strange ceramic, and everything else seems to be made of easily broken resin. Odd that the merch men are not providing more enticing merch. They can't seem to do anything right these days! lol
                              And along those lines, I used to get my ya-ya's out by looking through the Disney store online. That website is so unwieldy now that I've completely given up on it -- other than the occasional one-word search, just for fun: Dooney. If there's anyone out there who enjoys that shopping site, I'd sure be interested to hear their viewpoint.

Comment

Originally posted by Figment56 View Post
                                The upscale clothing line was called "Twenty Eight and Main" and had some great merchandise. Definitely replaced by a cheaper and less classy look. The Kevin & Jody collectibles as well as Olszewski Miniatures are sorely missed. What's even more disappointing is the fact that Disney shut down the Olszewski miniatures before the final Fantasyland pieces were released. Now collectors have platforms with huge holes in them that can never be finished.
                                THAT was it, Twenty Eight and Main! I was looking all over the place for it, but realized it's gone. I was also disappointed to find that the Olszewski miniatures are gone...I was hoping there would be a miniature Matterhorn and Disneyland Submarines. I'm not one for collecting such things, but those miniatures were a big exception.

Comment

Originally posted by Starcade View Post
                                  I agree it is shocking that a so called expert in retail merchandising would put milk at the front every aside in the store and eggs on every end cap forgetting one of the key strategies in shopping that you keep common merchandise in the back and force your customers to venture down every aisle. We used to actually shop in the park checking out each store for unique stuff and now you just go to the World of Disney Store in DTD and find everything at one stop on the way out rarely going into individual stores in the park. Also the quality of soft goods is also very noticeably poorly designed. We used to often impulse buy merchandise but now it is difficult to find something we really feel we want my wife has tried all year to find a new t-shirt and sweat shirt but each visit she comes up short not seeing anything she likes same with my two pre-teen daughters.
                                  We've had the same experience since we renewed a few months ago. There's just...nothing that we really want or catches my eye that I can't get at some big box store, cheaper. We used to love perusing the shops to find the more unique stuff...now its pretty sparse and repetitive. You don't really need to go past the Emporium to shop the entire Park anymore.

Comment

They used to embrace artisanship now I worry that even soon the candy store will soon just offer pre-packaged treats.

Comment

IMO
                                      Even with Disney-Target deal
                                      I not be looking for any merchandises
                                      that Disney sale ing at Target !
                                      I don't like shopping , more I have to......specially at big stores
                                      and when I do....I just want to get the items that I need, and "
                                      GET OUT"......
                                      Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Originally posted by Starcade View Post
                                        They used to embrace artisanship now I worry that even soon the candy store will soon just offer pre-packaged treats.
                                        Check out ,most package and candy treats...that is sold at the candy shop
                                        they made in Lake Buena Vista FL.
                                        for all the Theme Parks........even the ones that have a specially Disneyland logo , on them !
                                        It been like that for years
                                        Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X