Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] Rocket rods stuff

What's on the track for the old rocket rods ride?
    My Art site
    http://mediafan658.deviantart.com/

Globes for protecting automated lighting fixtures from rain & the elements. The lighting fixtures disappeared a LONG time ago (when the Season of the Force promotion ended), but the globes remained; I suppose it's easier to just store them onstage than to haul them all off to storage somewhere else.

Comment

The fact that many refer to the PM tracks as the RR tracks now I will admit hurts a lil.

I saw the addition of an Emergency exit coming from the upper level of the PM tracks and a tiny part of my had a glimmer of hope they were OSHAfying the tracks in order to repair and bring back what I believe to the be the most missed ride on the park.

Sad that the tracks have just become a storage space for old lighting equipment and decor.

Comment

Originally posted by Starcade View Post
        The fact that many refer to the PM tracks as the RR tracks now I will admit hurts a lil.

I saw the addition of an Emergency exit coming from the upper level of the PM tracks and a tiny part of my had a glimmer of hope they were OSHAfying the tracks in order to repair and bring back what I believe to the be the most missed ride on the park.

Sad that the tracks have just become a storage space for old lighting equipment and decor.
        Eh, I was around for the People Mover but given that I preferred the RR I can see referring to it as such. It WAS the RR track last afterall.

Comment

I always saw RR as a ride on the PM tracks.

Comment

I dunno that it really matters. There's always going to be a very narrow band of people that even remember Rocket Rods. It was but a blip in the parks memory at this point. Times going to keep ticking forward and it's just going to be that weird track/platform. The average person probably remembers nothing being up there at this point.

I used to spend many a year speculating on bringing back the Peoplemover on these forums. At this point I guess I've just accepted that it's done :\ I wouldn't mind seeing a unique theme that really added some nifty showscenes and made itself into both a tour of the land as well as a story about an imaginary spaceport or other such nonsense but really it isn't going to happen. Modern Disney is going to seek brand synergy.

The ride always had issues with keeping a good sense of intrigue for most audences. I love spam riding its WDW cohort as it's nice to relax on but it's clear that it was never exactly a mainline jam for people. I think a more independant part could get something interesting going for it to be sure but I doubt Modern Disney is the company for that and it really does feel hopeless as far as meeting both saftey and modern attraction standards goes.

I guess at this point I'd like to see Disney try something or just remove the wound :\ I'm tired of seeing it languish and I jsut wish Tomorrowland would get a lead creative director with vision but I now that the marketing teams probably exhist to swat it down perpetually.
            "We all have sparks, imagination! it's how our minds... create creations!"

Comment

I rode PM many times. It's kind of like the railroad is now. A nice place to get out of the sun and off your feet. Also a great place to make out at night, if one is in high school.
              The Rocket Rods were not my favorite. Always broken down. They'd accelerate down the straightaways, slow way down in the curves (since they weren't banked), then accelerate again. It was annoying, fast/slow, fast/slow.
              Upon a little more thought, yes, the fast/slow was a little annoying, but the speed, the wheelies, being way up there in the air was fun.
              Last edited by sailor310; 10-21-2019, 07:38 PM.
              Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream.
              Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Jspider View Post
                I dunno that it really matters. There's always going to be a very narrow band of people that even remember Rocket Rods. It was but a blip in the parks memory at this point. Times going to keep ticking forward and it's just going to be that weird track/platform. The average person probably remembers nothing being up there at this point.

I used to spend many a year speculating on bringing back the Peoplemover on these forums. At this point I guess I've just accepted that it's done :\ I wouldn't mind seeing a unique theme that really added some nifty showscenes and made itself into both a tour of the land as well as a story about an imaginary spaceport or other such nonsense but really it isn't going to happen. Modern Disney is going to seek brand synergy.

The ride always had issues with keeping a good sense of intrigue for most audences. I love spam riding its WDW cohort as it's nice to relax on but it's clear that it was never exactly a mainline jam for people. I think a more independant part could get something interesting going for it to be sure but I doubt Modern Disney is the company for that and it really does feel hopeless as far as meeting both saftey and modern attraction standards goes.

I guess at this point I'd like to see Disney try something or just remove the wound :\ I'm tired of seeing it languish and I jsut wish Tomorrowland would get a lead creative director with vision but I now that the marketing teams probably exhist to swat it down perpetually.
                I have to disagree with this one and I'm a traditionalist. Every time I mention it to people with annual passes casually in line, they all remember RR pretty vividly and miss it. The attraction had 90 minute waits consistently and was well received minus its technical difficulties. Having neon on the side of the car was the closest thing to Tron light-cycles we've ever had. Peoplemover was a slow paced attraction which simply didn't bring in the necessary numbers towards the second half of its life, the queue was always empty, and regardless of its capacity I sincerely doubt it had more attendance than RR which was very eye catching and had awesome futuristic sound effects. Had Disney actually invested heavily in special effects for Peoplemover, it probably would have had more purpose but as usual the company has no vision.

Comment

I still miss the PEOPLE MOVER
                  imo
                  Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Originally posted by Eagleman View Post
                    I still miss the PEOPLE MOVER
                    imo
                    I agree, but Disney would have to really make each show scene shine with brilliance for this concept to work with thrill seeking audiences of 2020. Obviously anything is possible with on-board simulation in slow moving cars. Think Universal studio tour, I'm sure that would be a good approach.

Comment

Originally posted by Seawolf View Post

I have to disagree with this one and I'm a traditionalist. Every time I mention it to people with annual passes casually in line, they all remember RR pretty vividly and miss it. The attraction had 90 minute waits consistently and was well received minus its technical difficulties. Having neon on the side of the car was the closest thing to Tron light-cycles we've ever had. Peoplemover was a slow paced attraction which simply didn't bring in the necessary numbers towards the second half of its life, the queue was always empty, and regardless of its capacity I sincerely doubt it had more attendance than RR which was very eye catching and had awesome futuristic sound effects. Had Disney actually invested heavily in special effects for Peoplemover, it probably would have had more purpose but as usual the company has no vision.
                      I'll always have my own perspective since I've never been a local or an annual passholder just a obsessive weirdo that dips his toes in the fandom because I really like the parks.

I will agree though with alot of the compliments towards Rocket Rods. I was thoroughly dissapointed with my one ride on them as a kid waiting over three hours to get on them. However weather the ride itself was amazing I will say that neon, the noise and the look. It made Tomorrowland SUPER exciting.

I just feel that the lack of exposure has dimmed its lights for some. I have no doubt that for people who visited during that timeframe as narrow as it was it likely had an impact. My views on impact are always going to be peppered by the fact that most of my local cohorts have only hit the parks once or twice and mainly remember the park in generalities and the big attractions like Indy/Pirates/Big Thunder/Space Mountain.

I miss the Rocket Rods dynamics for sure and wish it'd have worked out in alot of ways. On the other side of the coin I lament the alternate universe were the Peoplemover wasn't axed and had some real effects put on it and was eventually part of a Tomorrowland remake where Disney did some of that overwriting they've done to Galaxy's Edge and really given Tomorrowland a backstory and tasks to do on an interactive app and then weaving the Peoplemover into an interconnected narrative to give its tour of a fictional world more punch.
                      "We all have sparks, imagination! it's how our minds... create creations!"

Comment

Originally posted by Jspider View Post

I'll always have my own perspective since I've never been a local or an annual passholder just a obsessive weirdo that dips his toes in the fandom because I really like the parks.

I will agree though with alot of the compliments towards Rocket Rods. I was thoroughly dissapointed with my one ride on them as a kid waiting over three hours to get on them. However weather the ride itself was amazing I will say that neon, the noise and the look. It made Tomorrowland SUPER exciting.

I just feel that the lack of exposure has dimmed its lights for some. I have no doubt that for people who visited during that timeframe as narrow as it was it likely had an impact. My views on impact are always going to be peppered by the fact that most of my local cohorts have only hit the parks once or twice and mainly remember the park in generalities and the big attractions like Indy/Pirates/Big Thunder/Space Mountain.

I miss the Rocket Rods dynamics for sure and wish it'd have worked out in alot of ways. On the other side of the coin I lament the alternate universe were the Peoplemover wasn't axed and had some real effects put on it and was eventually part of a Tomorrowland remake where Disney did some of that overwriting they've done to Galaxy's Edge and really given Tomorrowland a backstory and tasks to do on an interactive app and then weaving the Peoplemover into an interconnected narrative to give its tour of a fictional world more punch.
                        I agree that Peoplemover could still work, it would just have to be an extravaganza of special effects for this entertain modern guests. I'm totally on-board if that's the plan to move away from raw speed. Granted, I think in any case the tracks would have to be redone which I'm pretty sure Disney won't do.

Comment

Originally posted by Seawolf View Post

I agree, but Disney would have to really make each show scene shine with brilliance for this concept to work with thrill seeking audiences of 2020. Obviously anything is possible with on-board simulation in slow moving cars. Think Universal studio tour, I'm sure that would be a good approach.
                          I have to Agree with your concept........
                          Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Originally posted by Starcade View Post

When was this emergency exit added? Recently? Or do you mean back before RR?

Comment

Originally posted by Mastersarge View Post
                              When was this emergency exit added? Recently? Or do you mean back before RR?
                              MIcechat had an article where they mentioned one is being added right now as an upper emergency exit for Spance Mountain but the location is right above the plaza Inn where the People Mover used to enter the tunnel and I believe it is located near were the two girls fell off the track trying to exit the ride back on the day ( One of those girls was a the cousin of my co-worker who says to this day she walks with a limp do to her fall. )

Comment

Controversial opinion time, I rather see them bring back the RR over the PM.

Don't think either is ever going to happen, but if I had my choice it would be the former. I did enjoy the PM as a kid, but even with the long waits (and I was there for it on opening day) I have really fond memories of RR, waiting in line with my dad or my mom for it, that was kinda part of the experience for me.

Comment

Originally posted by NGW View Post
                                  Controversial opinion time, I rather see them bring back the RR over the PM.

Don't think either is ever going to happen, but if I had my choice it would be the former. I did enjoy the PM as a kid, but even with the long waits (and I was there for it on opening day) I have really fond memories of RR, waiting in line with my dad or my mom for it, that was kinda part of the experience for me.
                                  I AGREE -
                                  Don't think either is ever going to happen
                                  My Hope and dream is See a NEW PEOPLE MOVER,
                                  that going take a New Tomorrowland ,long with new tracks.....
                                  Just something ,I do not see in the near future-IMO
                                  Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

I do refer to them as the PM/RR tracks, but they definitely are more RR than PM, especially on the top where the RR are still there.

I don't think anything will come back to those tracks though. I've heard a rumor that the Astro Orbitor ride mechanics (formerly in a french fry rock) are being moved into the Astro Blasters tunnel, and the rest is likely to be demolished soon.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                    Working...
                                    X