Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Must do land as well as land you often avoid in Disneyland....

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Must do land as well as land you often avoid in Disneyland....

We often talk about the park in lands as well as individual attractions. I wondered do others have a land that they must do to feel they have had a good trip?

Also is there a land that you can avoid that does not spoil your visit by skipping. Now I am not counting walking through as visiting I mean actually stopping and partaking in an attraction, store or eatery. For example maybe some feel Main Street USA is missable but unless you ride in on the Monorail your going to be walking through it.

For me for example if I do not do something in NOS I feel I never really visited the park. Also we seldom ever go into ToonTown and we have recently skipped SW:GE a time or two since it opened which I would have never thought would happen if you had asked me a year ago.

I'm going to have to agree with you entirely. I always go to Tomorrowland and Adventureland, but there are plenty of times where I feel like I'm just passing through. I cannot skip New Orleans Square, however. Pirates and Haunted Mansion are always indispensable rides for my trip, but the general atmosphere of walking by the river or down the streets is unmatched for me. I also tend to spend more time on Main Street than most people, lingering in the shops and stopping by the stores and galleries to see what's knew. Sometimes those places are among the emptiest in Disneyland.

Toontown is something I often go to Disneyland without ever seeing unless I have a hankering for riding Roger Rabbit. I know that will change with the advent of Runaway Railway, of course, and I suspect Fantasyland will become the next nonessential land. It already is a place that I tend to just pass through because it is not a must-see. That, however, says little about my actual feelings about the land, which I think is among the best. When I do have more time, I love to stop and enjoy the rides and sights of Fantasyland almost more than anywhere else. So overall it's a bit of a mixed bag.

Comment

I always went to Tomorrowland.

I generally didn't go to Toontown, but now that Star Wars Land is there, that is the land I'll avoid.

Comment

Always go to Fantasyland, Adventureland, and NOS. Usually skip Tomorrowland.
        "Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money." - ​Walt Disney

Comment

Almost every land at least has something. I suppose I'll go with NoS because if I do Pirates and Mansion I'll definitely know I visited Disneyland. Oddly if I HAD to skip I might even throw in something as large as Fantasyland though Toontown is a decent Sacrifice. I like taking photos around Toontown and always at least hit Roger Rabbit but it is pretty safe to say the area is sans substance (I'm really hoping Mickey's Railway has some decent synergy in this area).

Circling back around Adventureland is probably a good match for NoS in general.
          "We all have sparks, imagination! it's how our minds... create creations!"

Comment

Always:
            New Orleans Square
            Adventureland

Fine with skipping:
            Toon Town except when our kids were younger

Comment

A visit to Disneyland would never feel complete without Adventureland, New Orleans Square, and Main Street. I love to browse around Main Street, ride a Main Street vehicle, and hear the Dapper Dans sing. Adventureland is my favorite land. I could spend an entire day there. Everything in that land is a "must-do" for me. New Orleans Square is like the perfect blend of vibes from Main Street and Adventureland. It has the browsability (I think I just invented a term) of Main Street with its shops, eateries, and live music, plus it has that sense of adventure & intrigue that Adventureland possesses thanks to the Haunted Mansion and Pirates of the Caribbean. I can't even fathom the notion of going Disneyland without riding Pirates. When I visited Tokyo Disneyland several years ago I wasn't able to see Pirates there due to time constraints and it was excruciating to leave knowing there was a version there and not being able to experience it.

As for which land I can skip, not to bag on Toon Town, but I can live without seeing it each visit. I enjoy Roger Rabbit, yet I wouldn't be heartbroken about missing it on a trip to the park. I think I could probably also skip Tomorrowland if I had to skip a land. As much as I love Space Mountain, Tomorrowland makes me sad. It's like driving through the neighborhood you grew up in that seemed so idyllic as a child and finding it to be a shell of its former self in a state of disrepair. Tomorrowland was my favorite land from my youth up through the mid '80s. No I look at it and I think of how cool it used to be and how it could easily be restored to its former glory, except Disney doesn't see it as a priority.

Frontierland, Fantasyland, and Critter Country are stil on my must-do list, but don't rank as high as Main Street, Adventureland, and NewOrleans Square. I can't really comment about Galaxy's Edge because I have yet to see it in person, except to say since I've never seen it that probably makes it easier to skip. I spent twelve years working on the Star Wars franchise. I love Star Wars. Honestly though, I'm in no particular hurry to see Galaxy's Edge. Perhaps after Rise of the Resistance opens I'll feel differently.

Comment

Must do:
                Main Street
                Fantasyland
                Frontierland
                New Orleans Square

Don't much care but I don't go out of my way to avoid it:
                Tomorrowland

Actively avoid (aka just nuke it to put it out of its misery):
                Star Wars Galaxy's Dumpster

Comment

We spend a lot of time on Main Street at both the start and end of every visit. After walking down Main Street, we always head left to Adventureland, NOS and Frontierland. We skipped Fantasyland once and I felt letdown so now we at least try to make it to one ride there.

I can't believe I am even saying this, but I could skip both SWGE and Tomorrowland most trips. I probably spent most of my time in TL growing up, but it just needs so much updating. However, my husband has to ride Star Tours and Buzz every trip so we always make it to TL and probably go to SWGE 50% of the time. Smuggler's Run has to be 40 minutes or less wait time for us to head there.

We both find Toon Town super charming, but we skip it most of the time. I hope they put some proper food in there once the Runaway RR opens. Critter Country also often gets skipped but we enjoy it when we go.
                  "I wish they all could be California Bears!"

Comment

I find myself also
                    avoid Tomorrowland......except for Star Tour.......
                    It not what use to be....as I was growing up......
                    also I skip by Toon Town ......

it's mostly
                    Main Street U.S.A.

Adventureland
                    Frontierland
                    New Orleans Square
                    Fantasyland

Always try do a round Grand trip on
                    Disneyland Railroad
                    Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

New Orleans Square is the part of the park that has always been the closest to perfection for me.

The two best attractions; the most immersive surroundings. Even the way it sits between the old west of Frontierland and the deep south of Critter Country which allows for such a seamless transition, is something that sets it apart from the rest.

A trip to Disneyland isn't a trip at all without spending time in NOS.

I think it's for that reason specifically, that MK at WDW always felt like it was missing something. Sure they have POTC and HM, but without NOS to bring them together, that absence is felt.

Even on the occasional single day trips, I try and make it to every land.
                      I have skipped Toon Town before though. Mostly due to it having only one attraction that I enjoy and, especially as I've gotten older, the rest has too little appeal unfortunately to most over the age of 10. I'm actually looking forward to the new Mickey attraction and it bringing more life to that land and a purpose to visit. The concept of Toon Town has always had potential. It just needs to be something for everyone, not just the youngest of us.
                      Mike_M

Disneyland Trips
                      Walt Disney World
                      Disneyland Paris

1980, 1982, 1984, 1986, 1987, 1989
                      1990, 1992, 1993

2000, 2001, 2006, 2007, 2009
                      2010, 2011, 2014, 2016, 2016, 2017, 2/2019, 11/2019

Comment

Disneyland doesn’t work like this for me. Each visit is different for me. Some trips I’m really looking forward to Tomorrowland and Fantasyland for example, while other trips I’m excited for something like Frontierland or NOS.

Comment

There isn't a land at DLR that I actively avoid, at least not anymore. I go to every land, but when Bug's Land was there I would just use it as a means to get to GotG or back to the pier. I typically experience an attraction or go on a ride in every land.

Comment

When I go to Disneyland, I'm typically there from 8am to midnight. So I eventually find my way into every land. I definitely spend the least amount of time in ToonTown and probably the most in Frontierland and Fantasyland.
                            "Fantasy, if it's really convincing, can't become dated, for the simple reason that it represents a flight into a dimension that lies beyond the reach of time" Walt Disney

Comment

Toontown is one we least go to, especially before kids. But even with, usually we'll visit once or twice. Other than that, Critter Country is probably the least visited.

NOS, AL, FL, and FrL are the most visited.

Comment

Originally posted by C. Andrew Nelson View Post
                                A visit to Disneyland would never feel complete without Adventureland, New Orleans Square, and Main Street. I love to browse around Main Street, ride a Main Street vehicle, and hear the Dapper Dans sing. Adventureland is my favorite land. I could spend an entire day there. Everything in that land is a "must-do" for me. New Orleans Square is like the perfect blend of vibes from Main Street and Adventureland. It has the browsability (I think I just invented a term) of Main Street with its shops, eateries, and live music, plus it has that sense of adventure & intrigue that Adventureland possesses thanks to the Haunted Mansion and Pirates of the Caribbean. I can't even fathom the notion of going Disneyland without riding Pirates. When I visited Tokyo Disneyland several years ago I wasn't able to see Pirates there due to time constraints and it was excruciating to leave knowing there was a version there and not being able to experience it.

As for which land I can skip, not to bag on Toon Town, but I can live without seeing it each visit. I enjoy Roger Rabbit, yet I wouldn't be heartbroken about missing it on a trip to the park. I think I could probably also skip Tomorrowland if I had to skip a land. As much as I love Space Mountain, Tomorrowland makes me sad. It's like driving through the neighborhood you grew up in that seemed so idyllic as a child and finding it to be a shell of its former self in a state of disrepair. Tomorrowland was my favorite land from my youth up through the mid '80s. No I look at it and I think of how cool it used to be and how it could easily be restored to its former glory, except Disney doesn't see it as a priority.

Frontierland, Fantasyland, and Critter Country are stil on my must-do list, but don't rank as high as Main Street, Adventureland, and NewOrleans Square. I can't really comment about Galaxy's Edge because I have yet to see it in person, except to say since I've never seen it that probably makes it easier to skip. I spent twelve years working on the Star Wars franchise. I love Star Wars. Honestly though, I'm in no particular hurry to see Galaxy's Edge. Perhaps after Rise of the Resistance opens I'll feel differently.
                                I not a fan of saying "Ditto" but ditto on all of the above. Toon Town...hmmm, looks a bit "on the cheap" like when they threw together "Videopolis" in what seemed like a nano-second. I could miss it. Was never a Star Wars Fan even with my connections to the franchise, but I would like to see what a billion dollars buys these days. Tommorrowland will see it's day again. They need to pull a "Fantasyland '83" and just blow it up and start over. It's way too augmented now to go back. I feel this Star Wars business should have been an attraction on it's own. You board a "super sonic" vehicle in a tube in TOMORROWLAND (basically a new age Star Tours/ Peoplemover from Tomorrowland to Star Wars Land) ...blast into outer space...and then land in whatever that space town is called (excuse my ignorance). Need to get back? Ride the space tube back to Tomorrowland. Controls crowds, more fitting from Tomorrowland (isn't this space jazz in "tomorrow?") and you feel as if you traveled to another world. I need to find my rejection letter from WED and find out why they didn't hire me...

Comment

"Must Do" is NOS. Well, for us that encompasses BTMRR, PotC, HM, and Splash. We just think of it as 'The Waterfront'.

"Avoid" is TL. Not so much that I 'avoid' it as just that 'there's nothing there, there' for me. SM & ST make me ill and I couldn't care less about Buzz. I guess I'd also have to include ToonTown as a 'NoInterestLand', too.
                                  "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

Comment

Tomorrowland is still around? Haven't been there in years.

Comment

I always visit:
                                      • Mainstreet
                                      • Adventureland
                                      • Nos
                                      • Critter Country
                                      • Tomorrowland (for Space Mountain only)
                                      • Fantasyland (only for Matternhorn)

I never visit:
                                      • Toontown
                                      • SWGE
                                      • All of DCA
                                      • Fantasyland (except for Matternhorn)

Comment

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X