Announcement

Collapse
See more
See less

Fuelrods will be $3 to swap starting November 1st

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #41
    Disney World has reversed coursed and is now no longer charging the $3 swap fee.
    Let's see if Disneyland follows suit.

    Comment


    • #42
      Originally posted by HiddenMickey87 View Post
      Disney World has reversed coursed and is now no longer charging the $3 swap fee.
      Let's see if Disneyland follows suit.
      I bet they will too........
      The company got a lot fee back on this Issue !
      Soaring like an EAGLE !

      Comment


      • #43
        That's great news. But I can't imagine that Disney is going to just absorb the cost themselves, so something else is going on. Either they negotiated something with the company or they're going to raise the initial price to purchase one, so they can compensate for any additional cost they have with the company that makes these.

        Comment


        • #44
          Originally posted by SoCalDisneyFan View Post
          That's great news. But I can't imagine that Disney is going to just absorb the cost themselves, so something else is going on. Either they negotiated something with the company or they're going to raise the initial price to purchase one, so they can compensate for any additional cost they have with the company that makes these.
          A class-action lawsuit filed by a Los Angeles law firm seeks $5 million in damages from the Del Mar company that operates portable charger swapping machines at Disneyland, Disney World, Universal Studios, SeaWorld and other theme parks.
          Something tell me - Disney Lawyers told the company ,to back away from this
          Price hike............... IMO
          Last edited by Eagleman; 11-01-2019, 08:46 PM.
          Soaring like an EAGLE !

          Comment


          • #45
            Pics I've seen show they changed the wording on the units, they used to say "Free Swapping" then the notice of the charge coming on Nov 1st, now they replaced that with "Swappable", which seems to get back at the lawsuit as they pointed out that they have "Free Swapping" when they were purchased.

            Basically, they've changed that wording on purpose. I wonder if they'll try to say any sold after that time can have a charge, and ones prior will not to get around the fairly solid legal argument that was made in the suit.

            Personally, I just have a phone with a decent battery life. =-).

            Comment


            • #46
              Originally posted by pinkertonfloyd View Post
              Pics I've seen show they changed the wording on the units, they used to say "Free Swapping" then the notice of the charge coming on Nov 1st, now they replaced that with "Swappable", which seems to get back at the lawsuit as they pointed out that they have "Free Swapping" when they were purchased.

              Basically, they've changed that wording on purpose. I wonder if they'll try to say any sold after that time can have a charge, and ones prior will not to get around the fairly solid legal argument that was made in the suit.

              Personally, I just have a phone with a decent battery life. =-).
              Good Question........ but it still do not sound right...
              but I'm not a
              Lawyer...we see how this play in court !

              I feel this still
              Diminish Guest Experience at Disney Parks
              Soaring like an EAGLE !

              Comment


              • #47
                Originally posted by Bob Weaver View Post
                What happened to just simply enjoying the park and forgetting about your phone and the rest of the world for a day?
                I agree that it is pretty annoying when people aren't paying attention or moving in queue because their faces are looking down at phones. Look up and enjoy the park! But ... I also understand that less and less people have actual cameras and our phones are how we capture magical moments and after a long 13-14 hour day it can be a drain on the batteries.

                Comment


                • #48
                  Originally posted by SoCalDisneyFan View Post
                  That's great news. But I can't imagine that Disney is going to just absorb the cost themselves, so something else is going on. Either they negotiated something with the company or they're going to raise the initial price to purchase one, so they can compensate for any additional cost they have with the company that makes these.
                  Disney wouldn't have to absorb any cost. Any amount they spend powering these kiosks is quickly offset by what they charge FuelRod to elase space within their park. I think the business model for something like this is that FuelRod pays Disney every square foot (Being Disney, probably per square inch) to lease that spot in the park. Similar to how the Wireless Kiosks in Costco work (thats a 3rd party called Wireless Advocates that operates those kiosks, not Costco or Costco employees). In exchange, Disney offers to power the kiosks and it works well because they can advertise a free convenience to guests. FuelRod is hoping to make their money on the sales of the devices. This business model is great initially when people are buying your product but when sales slow because most people that are interested in swapping already own a device you must recoup cost by charging per swap.

                  Since it seems like enough people use these kiosks to be of value to Disney they quite possibly may have lowered their lease/rent fees to accommodate any losses that FuelRod may have from decreased sales. This way FuelRod doesn't have to charge per swap and Disney can still advertise this as a free service to guests.

                  Just my thoughts anyway. I don't have any actual knowledge of their contract agreements.
                  Last edited by Raymonator; 11-05-2019, 01:45 PM.

                  Comment


                  • #49
                    There are so many videos, online and easily available, showing everything in the park. Many are made with pro-quality video gear. Why do people feel compelled to document the same things with their phones? Why not just shut the phone off and enjoy the experience?

                    Comment


                    • #50
                      Originally posted by Raymonator View Post

                      Disney wouldn't have to absorb any cost. Any amount they spend powering these kiosks is quickly offset by what they charge FuelRod to elase space within their park. I think the business model for something like this is that FuelRod pays Disney every square foot (Being Disney, probably per square inch) to lease that spot in the park. Similar to how the Wireless Kiosks in Costco work (thats a 3rd party called Wireless Advocates that operates those kiosks, not Costco or Costco employees). In exchange, Disney offers to power the kiosks and it works well because they can advertise a free convenience to guests. FuelRod is hoping to make their money on the sales of the devices. This business model is great initially when people are buying your product but when sales slow because most people that are interested in swapping already own a device you must recoup cost by charging per swap.

                      Since it seems like enough people use these kiosks to be of value to Disney they quite possibly may have lowered their lease/rent fees to accommodate any losses that FuelRod may have from decreased sales. This way FuelRod doesn't have to charge per swap and Disney can still advertise this as a free service to guests.

                      Just my thoughts anyway. I don't have any actual knowledge of their contract agreements.

                      I suspect your not far off with your assessment. But I'm surprised a company as big as Disney would not have already seen this scenario playing out exactly the way it did. They should have known that once market saturation hit with new sales, something was going to have to give to keep things going.

                      Comment


                      • #51
                        Originally posted by Bob Weaver View Post
                        There are so many videos, online and easily available, showing everything in the park. Many are made with pro-quality video gear. Why do people feel compelled to document the same things with their phones? Why not just shut the phone off and enjoy the experience?
                        AGREED!!!!! Especially the people who wait hours for fireworks, then watch them on a 5" screen while recording thinking they are getting some professional shot.
                        "And yes, we implore EVERYBODY to follow the park rules. Having off-ride footage is great, but any still photo's or video's taken ON the coasters at SFMM are strictly against the rules. They are there for your (and everybody's) safety." "Six Flags doesn't allow ANY loose articles on their coasters, and they don't allow video taping on their coasters. " BUT, "​ This is not true. Six Flags does not allow ANY On-Ride video or pictures on the rides. The ONLY way is if you get explicit permission from Park Management." ???

                        Comment


                        • #52
                          Originally posted by Bob Weaver View Post
                          There are so many videos, online and easily available, showing everything in the park. Many are made with pro-quality video gear. Why do people feel compelled to document the same things with their phones? Why not just shut the phone off and enjoy the experience?
                          MY PHONE stay off......during the time I'm in the Park's or any outing's
                          I only have it for Emergency
                          Soaring like an EAGLE !

                          Comment


                          • #53
                            Originally posted by Bob Weaver View Post
                            There are so many videos, online and easily available, showing everything in the park. Many are made with pro-quality video gear. Why do people feel compelled to document the same things with their phones? Why not just shut the phone off and enjoy the experience?
                            and why ruin my experience by holding your silly phone right in my line of sight to the show?!!!!
                            Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream.
                            Mark Twain

                            Comment


                            • #54
                              Originally posted by Bob Weaver View Post
                              What happened to just simply enjoying the park and forgetting about your phone and the rest of the world for a day?
                              Really? My phone has become more indispensable than ever in the Parks these days. The Disneyland App is my key to using Max Pass Fast Passes, Photopass photos, dining reservations, mobile food ordering, wait times, entertainment schedules, etc. Not to mention using my phone as a camera. Maybe 5 years ago my phone was not really so important to my Disneyland day, but now I'd hate to be without it.

                              Originally posted by sailor310 View Post
                              and why ruin my experience by holding your silly phone right in my line of sight to the show?!!!!
                              Oh, I agree with that! It's still not as bad as holding your kid on your shoulders, but it's close! Or how about when they use their phones in dark places, like the Haunted Mansion stretching room??! Aarrgghhh!!

                              In regards to the Fuel Rod, I would not have considered one but I forgot my battery pack about 8 weeks ago and needed my phone to be charged, since it is also my bus pass to get home! I could have bought a more powerful charger from the Emporium, but I chose to get the Fuel Rod for future use. I haven't even swapped it once, yet! I used it that day then charged it when I got home; now I keep it in my backpack as a backup. So I was pretty annoyed (to say the least!) when I saw that outrageous $3 swap charge. I mean, really? Jump straight to $3?? Not $1? Needless to say I am happy to see they have reversed their decision for now, at least.
                              Last edited by SomeGuyInOz; 11-08-2019, 03:01 AM.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X