Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let's talk about what we liked about DCA 1.0

So, I think we all agree that DCA is a park that inspires complicated and mixed feelings from day 1 until now. Personally, I missed out on the very earliest days of the park, so Supersar Limo had already come and gone when I made my first visit sometime in the mid 2000's. I guess luckily for me, I at least didn't have that travesty of an attraction blemish the place for me, but like many of you, I was definitely underwhelmed, to say the least.

That being said, there were times when it seems like through sheer force of will the Imagineers managed to drag out some of that classic Disney magic from a flawed concept. It seemed like the ship was being righted with what most of us call DCA 2.0 with things like Buena Vista St changing the original entrance plaza into DCA's own version of Main Street USA (and let's be honest, Buena Vista St on "Dapper Day" is pretty awesome), then... well, whatever the hell is going on with DCA now started happening, leaving it a bizarre jumped mess... so, in honor of that, let's talk about our favorite things in the ORIGINAL bizarre, jumbled mess it was.

Grizzly Peak: For me, Grizzly Peak was the high point in theming of the original DCA. The trees, waterfalls, etc had that classic Disney charm to it, even if they housed a pretty average rapids ride. The area itself is still my favorite in the park.

Soarin' Over California: For years, until being replaced with the more generic "Soarin' Over the World", the original attraction was, IMO, the keystone attraction of the entire park. While "Supertar Limo" was the first new dark ride in the park and turned out to be, whatever the hell that was, "Soarin" managed to nail the spirit of what DCA was supposed to be: A love letter to California. As a native Californian, it really reminded me of what I love my home state so much, and why I missed it as much as I did the times I loved in other states.

Muppet Vision 3D: Yes, it was clone of a 10 year old attraction from Disney Hollywood Studios at WDW, bu I love me some Muppets, and as far as I know, this is Jim Henson's last performance as Kermit before he passed away, so it will always have that special place in my heart.

The California Zephyr: Sadly, this was a casualty of the BVS upgrade.. but I really dug the old Zephyr train being used for shops. Was kinda cool to be able to grab an ice cream or something from it.

So, those are a few of mine, looking forward to see other people's responses.
    "Have I gone mad?"
    "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. "

I know my Mom liked the short lived Soap Opera Bistro. And that my Dad liked Golden Dreams and the Maliboomer.

The thing I oddly miss the most, is the Beach Boys instrumental music in Paradise Pier. I don't why, but it just worked.

I do remember finally getting to see the Electrical Parade at DCA, as I never got to see it at Disneyland(and still haven't). I remember watching it near Golden Dreams, while drinking Pink Lemonade. I remember how one of the snails moved to right in front of us, doing its squawking routine. On a later trip, we watched the parade on a crowded concrete bench in Sunshine Plaza.

Comment

The California Zephyre was a wonderfully fancy way to disguise some store fronts.

the postcard entrance was a great feat of artistry. Like a lot of art, people didn't get it, and it was easily overlooked.

I liked the California based outlook of the park. Coming from out of state, I had no problem with a California park being based on California.

I liked the Maliboomer more than I liked the Tower of terror. Feeling the pressure of the wind hit you on your way up on the maliboomer was a lot more enjoyable to me than the feeling of leaving my stomach behind when the elevator shaft of Tower falls out from under you.

I liked the look of the place. I liked the space. I liked the oversaturation of restaurant choices, like the Chips, Dips and Strips place on the pier, the maliburritos place also on the pier, the soap opera bistro in Hollywood backlot, amongst others.

I also really loved the active wave machine in paradise bay, as well as the bay, overall, because, due to the movement of the water, it just looked a lot more clean than it does now.

While I enjoy the music loops of both paradise pier and Buena vista street now, I preferred the coliopi music on the pier, and did like the california themed music of the park entrance.

of course, what I miss the most about it is exactly the thing that would have caused it to close completely: no crowds. I miss, horribly, selfishly, but truly, the longest wait at California Screaming just topping fifteen to twenty mintes, even on a busy day. I loved that they built the park with huge crowds in mind because, when the crowds didnt come, it really cast the illusion of having the place almost to yourself. That feeling, alone, made the price of entry worth it for the day. Having most of the attraction as walk on status didn't hurt, at all, either.

The Wolfgang Puck restaurant was nice, too, while it lasted.

Comment

I loved the California letters (never missed a chance to pose in front of an A with my brother). Soarin' over California was great from the beginning. Grizzly River Run was great when it first opened (it still is, but could use some plussing). The California Zephyr was a cool novelty too. I personally enjoyed the Golden Dreams show, especially when they were showing the R-rated version.

Comment

I liked the California letters and the train in the entrance, and of course Soarin' Over CA. The original Paradise Pier had a very nice aesthetic and music, too. The Orange Stinger and Maliboomer added on to the skyline and helped to balance it. I also wish the Soap Opera Bistro would have stayed open rather than Award Wieners, it seemed like a great immersive experience.

Comment

Disney's California Adventure Park
            Grizzly Peak is themed around California's wilderness and national parks......
            with all the water falls and trees.
            Is one area I enjoy the most from the Park.
            along with

Soarin' Over California and also like
            Grizzly River Run
            district also contains the Smokejumpers Grill counter service restaurant.

I do miss "
            "Golden Dreams ""the short version of the California History....
            California Park Theme should be based on California.
            IMO
            Last edited by Eagleman; 10-27-2019, 04:15 PM.
            Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

I like that they built a California-themed park. The state is so glorious in so many ways, and to be able to absorb "snippets" of it, even though fake, I think had huge potential.
              Soarin' over California and Grizzly Peak were great starts, and the "wine region" and the pier, and the great big welcoming letters for a great big welcoming state.

I wish they would have forged ahead. They were really getting there until they put on the breaks and took a wrong turn.

Comment

I thought that farm area (Bountiful Farms?) was a quaint spot - good photo ops and there was a counter service restaurant with “kid food” like chicken and mozzarella strips.

Watching the MSEP there was amazing; Main Street is way too cramped.

Comment

Originally posted by Pips View Post
                  I like that they built a California-themed park. The state is so glorious in so many ways, and to be able to absorb "snippets" of it, even though fake, I think had huge potential.

I wish they would have forged ahead. They were really getting thereuntil they put on the breaks and took a wrong turn.
                  I AGREE............
                  Concept of a
                  California-theme was good......

But Disney have taken the wrong road.....on Marketing and Brands Ave.
                  It same in what going on at EPCOT in FL.
                  I fine that SAD
                  imo

Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

I really liked Muppetvision. I'd see it several times each day I visited.

Sort of an odd one here but I remember a spot that had an old diesel irrigation pump. If I remember, it was a Caterpillar D343 engine (only a true knucklehead would know this......lol) and of course, it was't actually running but it had a sound track of an actual diesel engine running. It was in with some pictures about California agriculture.

I also enjoyed Soarin'.......I'd ride it several times day as well.

Comment

Originally posted by micromind View Post
                      Sort of an odd one here but I remember a spot that had an old diesel irrigation pump. If I remember, it was a Caterpillar D343 engine (only a true knucklehead would know this......lol) and of course, it was't actually running but it had a sound track of an actual diesel engine running. It was in with some pictures about California agriculture.

There use to be a stand ,were I use to get my ICECREAM , in a Special MICKEY CUP

Originally posted by micromind View Post
                      I also enjoyed Soarin'.......I'd ride it several times day as well.
                      Soarin' Over California
                      was one those attraction that
                      I would on over and over again ....... I felt ,like a Soaring Eagle !

Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

- I'm a sucker for any dark ride. As bad as Super Star Limo was .. it was DCA's one and only dark ride. I get in a few times before it shuttered.

- No Disney characters! I loved it. Even as a kid ... I never really gravitated to them. I was all about the rich environments and quality rides. Walk around characters were slightly amusing ..... but when DCA opened ... it was like an adult treat. A more mature place that was about something different. Just too bad that "something different" lacked in quality.

- I loved the Eureka parade. A fresh change from the usual "Disney characters faire"

- I loved it when the Hyperion Theater offered original shows that weren't rehashes of old animated films (whether recent films - Aladdin .. or decades old ones - Snow White) ......... I saw "Blast" so many times. I miss that show!

- I liked Hollywood And Dine. The "Schwabs Drug Store" eaterie had some really nice healthy sandwiches, rolls. That could have been a really nice food court and really poured on the theming. It would have saved that place.

- Seasons of the Vine had this charm I can't quite describe. The way the CMs introduce the show was cool. Opened a big door to look at what was outside. (Which was a floor to ceiling movie screen). Nicely done.

Of course ... all these things were overshadowed because there was too much wrong with the other 85 percent of the park.
                        MY SIGNATURE:
                        Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

Comment

Originally posted by Tomorrowland_1967 View Post
                          - I loved the Eureka parade. A fresh change from the usual "Disney characters faire"

"O" MY
                          I have be TRUTHFUL
                          I though the
                          "EUREKA PARADE"
                          was GREAT !

The parade played the song

Come Away With Me,

with each unit playing a variation of the song. The parade consisted of
                          showed the various cultures of California.
                          It had a Beat that keep you going, from the start to the end.
                          It ran from the Park's opening in 2001 to mid-2002 !
                          Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

I really liked the film Golden Dreams. Just beautifully done.

i also liked Seasons of the Vine. Although a small, quiet attraction, I always enjoyed it.
                            http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...oto-heavy.html
                            http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ip-report.html
                            http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...something.html

No matter where you go, there you are.

Comment

Originally posted by Spongeocto4 View Post
                              ...The thing I oddly miss the most, is the Beach Boys instrumental music in Paradise Pier. I don't why, but it just worked....
                              Seconded.

Comment

Originally posted by waltdisney'salec View Post
                                ...especially when they were showing the r-rated version.
                                no.
                                Last edited by SkunkID; 10-28-2019, 06:35 PM.

Comment

Grizzly Peak area and Condor Flats were (are) pure Disney. I lived in the Northern California Gold Country for a while and they really NAILED it with the landscape and area themeing - they even have signage on the main path for HWY 49, the main highway through the Gold Country. And there really is old mining equipment laying around. And water flowing EVERYWHERE. I love the beautiful details in the Grizzly queue and surrounding land.

All the nods to the National Parks and Forests in California at the challenge trail are well done too.

Couple that with perfectly blending the Grand Californian into the landscape, and the beautiful tribute to Californian aviation at Soarin' and Condor Flats...it was just perfect. I hope it doesn't change much moving forward.

Comment

I never experience 1.0, 2.0 or anything up until about 2013 which was my first trip to DCA. I was actively avoiding the parks at the time due to the crowds and cost relative to my age and status, but even as a lifelong Disney fan I did not see anything that compelled me to visit DCA and check it out until 2013. I did follow it from afar reading about it from time to time but to be honest it has never quite felt well planned. Maybe that is part of it's charm in that it is a constantly evolving park much more than it's ancestor across the esplanade. I do not know that I would have enjoyed the 1.0 version much for more then it's quite place to stroll aspect. Being born and raised in California I felt the representation was tacky like the Eiffel Tower in Vegas but even worse because to visit DCA you were already within a days drive of all that California has to offer and within an hours drive of what most of DCA was representing.

Comment

Originally posted by SkunkID View Post

no.
                                      Appreciate your contribution to the positivity of this thread!

Comment

I really enjoyed visiting the ice cream store inside the train they had parked out in the entrance hub. Always thought that area was really cool.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X