Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

All Aboard!: What is your favorite way to lap the DLRR...

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eagleman View Post
    "Walt Disney's" passion for trains, help to inspire which also led to the creation of Disneyland,
    And having that Journey around a very Magical Kingdom !

The Grand Circle Tour
    You know, Mickey's Runaway Railroad will be no less than the 4th RR based attraction in Disneyland. Walt would approve.
    "Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money." - ​Walt Disney

Comment

Originally posted by greenalfonzo View Post

You know, Mickey's Runaway Railroad will be no less than the 4th RR based attraction in Disneyland. Walt would approve.
      Indeed, over the Park's history, it would be the 6th railroad-based attraction:

DRR
      Mine Train thru Nature's Wonderland
      Casey Jr.
      Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
      Viewliner

Comment

I love the DRR. I have never had a set time of day/night to ride it. Though I always make a point to get on at the Main St Station and ride it around one full trip and then getting off at NOS. I don't ever recall riding at night, but I am definitely making a point to do so next time thanks to everyone's comments about a night ride.

Comment

Originally posted by Right Down Broadway View Post

Indeed, over the Park's history, it would be the 6th railroad-based attraction:

DRR
          Mine Train thru Nature's Wonderland
          Casey Jr.
          Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
          Viewliner
          I think many would consider it a 7th because there is also the Monorail which is also a train though a modern take.

Comment

I really would like them to continue to develop the RR as a proper ride with additional showscenes.

For example I've always thought that a Jungle Book scene would be great on the hillside behind Adventureland where the panther is located. Anamatronics of Baloo, Mowgli, Kaa, etc., viewable from the train would be super cool, even if in a single scene, since there isn't room for a proper JB darkride.
            "Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money." - ​Walt Disney

Comment

If riding the train is a magical experience, riding it at night makes it doubly so.

I remember waiting for the train at night at Main Street Station, peering down the darkened tracks to the left. Soon, a slight yellow glow would start to dance in silence on the shrubbery as the locomotive approached, getting brighter and brighter. Eventually, you could hear the engine softly chuffing, and the headlight would come into view, piercing the darkness.

As the engine rolled by, you could see things in the dark that you couldn't in broad daylight. The flickering of the fire playing on the rails beneath the engine; the soft glow from the gauge lamps in the cab. The occasional spark thrown out of the smokestack. Back in the good old days, when there were actual block signals along the line, the glow from red or green lamps was mesmerizing. And when the engine was stopped at Frontierland Station, with steam billowing around the engine, the cloudy mist itself would be painted by the nearby signal's colors.

Riding in the cars, your eyes would adjust to the darkness along the black jungles of Adventureland. Coming through the first tunnel into the blazing illumination of New Orleans Square was a party for the eyes. Then, back into tunnels and an even darker "true backwoods." The glittering bauble of Small World. Darkness. Glowing Tomorrowland. A trip to the Grand Canyon and Primeval World. More darkness, before arriving at Main Street Station, and a "newly electrified" Town Square.

No doubt about it, a nighttime ride on the Disneyland Railroad is an experience not to be missed.

I have to second that. My favorite part is passing the Jungle Cruise in near darkness and faintly seeing lights with the muffled sounds of the Jungle in the distance.
              “Not the least hard thing to bear when they go from us, these quiet friends, is that they carry away with them
              so many years of our own lives.”

DL Trips: '58, '59, '61, '65, '66, '67, '68x2, '69x2, '70x2, '71x2, '73x2, '74x2, '75x2, '76x2, '77, '78,x2, '79x2, '80x2, '81, '82, '83, '88, '89x3, '90x2, '91, '93, '94, '95x2, '96, '97, '98x4, '99, '00, '01, '02, '03, '04, '05, '06, '07x2, '08, '09x2, '10, '11, '13
              WDW Trips: '81
              EPCOT Trips: '93
              Tokyo DL Trips: '86

Comment

~Love the Disneyland Railroad going long the wildness of the River of American ~
                and Water falls
                Adventures are designed to give you the feeling of having lived,
                even for a short while, during our country's pioneer days."
                Frontierland
                with the
                Sailing Ship Columbia
                ,and the
                Mark Twain Riverboat !
                Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Originally posted by greenalfonzo View Post
                  I really would like them to continue to develop the RR as a proper ride with additional showscenes.

For example I've always thought that a Jungle Book scene would be great on the hillside behind Adventureland where the panther is located. Anamatronics of Baloo, Mowgli, Kaa, etc., viewable from the train would be super cool, even if in a single scene, since there isn't room for a proper JB darkride.
                  I back this, I think would be great if you went through a stone archway that led to a tunnel (but the tunnel was lit like you where still outside allowing them to control the lighting and then have this Jungle Book diorama with both a day and night viewing ) maybe your escaping the palace of King Louie etc. then you pass through another "Arch" leading back outside to still take in some of the sites and sound of the Jungle cruise. The reason I say make it indoors is 2 fold one it allows for a day and night show but also it would prevent the current issue of birds dedicating on all the animatronics. The Black Panther once looked like a monochrome leopard at times.

It would be tight spacewise as I wouldn't want to remove all of the sites and sounds of passing by Jungle Cruise but if there was enough, I think it would be an excellent add.

Comment

Originally posted by Starcade View Post

I think many would consider it a 7th because there is also the Monorail which is also a train though a modern take.
                    Yes, the Monorail is the progeny of the Viewliner, the "Train of Tomorrow," but I specifically limited my post to traditional, two-rail railroads.

Comment

The evening time is just pure magic on the DLRR. Everyone has done a fantastic job of describing it, so I won't even try. I will say that I prefer getting on at Main Street or NOS, but have boarded at ToonTown and Tomorrowland on the rare occasion. I really enjoyed it before the re-routed the track due to Galaxy's Sludge presence. Something about just cruising along the backwoods around the Northern end of the ROA was just bliss.

Here is a horrible picture I took from the DLRR a few years back at the New Orleans Square Station, but it still captures the magic and wonder in my opinion. You can see the fireworks in the sky above the roofline of the station.

Big Thunder Ranch > Galaxys Edge

Comment

Originally posted by BigThunda View Post
                        The evening time is just pure magic on the DLRR. Everyone has done a fantastic job of describing it, so I won't even try. I will say that I prefer getting on at Main Street or NOS, but have boarded at ToonTown and Tomorrowland on the rare occasion. I really enjoyed it before the re-routed the track due to Galaxy's Sludge presence. Something about just cruising along the backwoods around the Northern end of the ROA was just bliss.

Here is a horrible picture I took from the DLRR a few years back at the New Orleans Square Station, but it still captures the magic and wonder in my opinion. You can see the fireworks in the sky above the roofline of the station.

Geeeee that look close
                        Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Originally posted by BigThunda View Post
                          I really enjoyed it before the re-routed the track due to Galaxy's Sludge presence.
                          Not to derail (no pun intended) a thread on my favorite subject, but bonus points for "Galaxy's Sludge."

Comment

Santa Fe & Disneyland Railroad

I enjoy the old days when
                            Santa Fe ,was a
                            sponsorship deal

with Walt Disney.......
                            I love and miss the SF logo.....
                            When I was a kid ,have been on trains cross county, On the
                            Santa Fe and the L&N Railroads......
                            Just like Disneyland ,I grew up with Santa Fe.....just like Walt Disney .

Last edited by Eagleman; 11-03-2019, 09:19 PM.
                            Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

I enjoy the old days when
                              Santa Fe ,was a sponsorship deal with Walt Disney.......
                              I love and miss the SF logo.....
                              When I was a kid ,have been on trains cross county, On the Santa Fe and the L&N Railroads......
                              Just like Disneyland , I grew up with Santa Fe.....just like Walt Disney .

Yes, the Santa Fe herald, which was prominently displayed on everything from the water tower to the tickets, lent a veneer of reality that made the fantasy that much better. There were even real Santa Fe travel posters displayed in Main Street Station.

And the feeling was mutual: Santa Fe looked upon its smaller trains in Anaheim with the affection that an older brother has for his little sister - often featuring it in glowing articles in its company magazine and participating with it in significant anniversaries.

The Santa Fe/Disneyland relationship was so much more than just a corporate sponsorship. It just "worked" in a way that something like Starbucks in the Market House never will. Starbucks feels forced; the Santa Fe & Disneyland Railroad was seamless perfection.

Comment

The train is my favorite - it combines an attraction and a respite for achy feet! I usually end up boarding at NOS, doing a lap, and then another "almost" lap, and exiting at Main Street. Once my sister and I did an experiment on a relatively not too crowded day. we got on at NOS, she got off at TL, and headed to SM for single rider. We wanted to see how many times she could ride SM single rider before I got back to TL. She rode it twice, got in line, and made it on to my train as I completed one lap.

We were mostly just messing around to amuse ourselves.

Comment

Yes, the Santa Fe herald, which was prominently displayed on everything from the water tower to the tickets, lent a veneer of reality that made the fantasy that much better. There were even real Santa Fe travel posters displayed in Main Street Station.

And the feeling was mutual: Santa Fe looked upon its smaller trains in Anaheim with the affection that an older brother has for his little sister - often featuring it in glowing articles in its company magazine and participating with it in significant anniversaries.

The Santa Fe/Disneyland relationship was so much more than just a corporate sponsorship. It just "worked" in a way that something like Starbucks in the Market House never will. Starbucks feels forced; the Santa Fe & Disneyland Railroad was seamless perfection.[/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR]
                                  [/LEFT]
                                  Santa Fe Railroad had there own magic......and when mix Disneyland Magic
                                  one can one Big Magical Day at the park .
                                  again as a kid coming home to LA ,I was on the
                                  Santa Fe /
                                  El Capitan
                                  they gave out Free admission to Disneyland and a free train trip around the park......
                                  I agree
                                  Santa Fe & Disneyland Railroad was seamless perfection
                                  Last edited by Eagleman; 11-04-2019, 05:55 PM.
                                  Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

I just hope they never try to do a "holiday overlay" on the Primeval World.

Comment

Picture of the Main Street Station with the
                                      Santa Fe Logo
                                      Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Picture of the Main Street Station with the
                                        Santa Fe Logo
                                        The Santa Fe herald looks great, but so does the original color scheme: Red brick; forest-green doors, buttercup yellow trim on the windows. Oh--having a graceful widow's walk railing without sheet metal baffles visible behind it is also a bonus!

Comment

The Santa Fe herald looks great, but so does the original color scheme: Red brick; forest-green doors, buttercup yellow trim on the windows. Oh--having a graceful widow's walk railing without sheet metal baffles visible behind it is also a bonus!
                                          I have to agree. Another screw up at the Park.
                                          “Not the least hard thing to bear when they go from us, these quiet friends, is that they carry away with them
                                          so many years of our own lives.”

DL Trips: '58, '59, '61, '65, '66, '67, '68x2, '69x2, '70x2, '71x2, '73x2, '74x2, '75x2, '76x2, '77, '78,x2, '79x2, '80x2, '81, '82, '83, '88, '89x3, '90x2, '91, '93, '94, '95x2, '96, '97, '98x4, '99, '00, '01, '02, '03, '04, '05, '06, '07x2, '08, '09x2, '10, '11, '13
                                          WDW Trips: '81
                                          EPCOT Trips: '93
                                          Tokyo DL Trips: '86

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X