Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will edutainment ever return to Disney Parks?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will edutainment ever return to Disney Parks?

Disney has seemed to ditch edutainment in favor of franchises. Let's face it, they have!1And no, the Xandarian connection they are trying to make sense of in Epcot from what I've heard isn't edutainment. Xandar is not a real planet, Disney!! From what I've seen, it honestly looks as if Disney has ditched edutainment completely however while SeaWorld is incorporating it into their parks! This might give people a reason to visit SeaWorld!! Hopefully, SeaWorld is smart and has both educational experiences along. with IP based attractions. (Sesame Street) Do you think SeaWorld could gain more people by focusing on creating innovative rides that educate while entertaining people? Say, what Disney did before the I.P. focused lazy business model they are using today. SeaWorld's recently added Tidal Twister roller coaster being paired with an aquarium is the latest example, educating the guest on to adopt fishes from an aquarium, rather than from someone catching them in the wild.
    An Aspiring Walt Disney Imagineer.

I would suggest that it is largely dead and buried in Disney parks for the time being at least. It sold better in previous eras when there were fewer forms of entertainment and less of an attachment to IPs. The current regime has been pretty clear in its intention to sell IP, and at the moment the only real "Edutainment" offerings are legacy pieces. WDW certainly has quite a bit more with Animal Kingdom and parts of Epcot still serving this purpose. The former Flight's of Wonder changed to an UP centric show demonstrates how you can somewhat bring the two together, the reviews are not great but that's probably more the show rather than the concept.

Comment

As soon as they believe it is profitable to do so, edutainment will start returning to the park.
      http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...oto-heavy.html
      http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ip-report.html
      http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...something.html

No matter where you go, there you are.

Comment

I have to admit that I am not a fan of the edu-tainment aspect and would avoid it when it was there.

Disney does best when they stick to the idealized version of reality. Not reality itself. New Orleans Square for example is picturesque, quaint and fun. The real French Quarter has an odor to it, is filled with bars and strip clubs, and is a very different experience.

Another example is the Jungle Cruise. it was originally a true-life adventure attraction, focusing on the splendor and wonder of the jungle, the animals and the adventure of exploration. It’s fate could have mirrored the Mine train to nature’s wonderland (Being replaced by a rollercoaster) if it wasn’t for the addition of the humor and making fun of itself which is what made it the classic that it is.

Finally, Innoventions was a waste of a perfectly good rotating theater. The one time I went in there, it was just an expo for HP and Microsoft. Nothing really cutting edge. Definitely not entertaining. It had the same root problems that Tomorrowland has. It wasn’t showing me the future. It was barely showing me the present (that any Best Buy could do).

DL is better with less edu-taienment in my opinion.
        Mike_M

Disneyland Trips
        Walt Disney World
        Disneyland Paris

1980, 1982, 1984, 1986, 1987, 1989
        1990, 1992, 1993

2000, 2001, 2006, 2007, 2009
        2010, 2011, 2014, 2016, 2016, 2017, 2/2019, 11/2019

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_M View Post
          I have to admit that I am not a fan of the edu-tainment aspect and would avoid it when it was there.

Disney does best when they stick to the idealized version of reality. Not reality itself. New Orleans Square for example is picturesque, quaint and fun. The real French Quarter has an odor to it, is filled with bars and strip clubs, and is a very different experience.

Another example is the Jungle Cruise. it was originally a true-life adventure attraction, focusing on the splendor and wonder of the jungle, the animals and the adventure of exploration. It’s fate could have mirrored the Mine train to nature’s wonderland (Being replaced by a rollercoaster) if it wasn’t for the addition of the humor and making fun of itself which is what made it the classic that it is.

Finally, Innoventions was a waste of a perfectly good rotating theater. The one time I went in there, it was just an expo for HP and Microsoft. Nothing really cutting edge. Definitely not entertaining. It had the same root problems that Tomorrowland has. It wasn’t showing me the future. It was barely showing me the present (that any Best Buy could do).

DL is better with less edu-taienment in my opinion.
          This is a good take, I think. Although I'd add that most of the extinct edu-tainment attractions didn't have enough of the entertainment part. The Carousel of Progress and Inner-Space were educational but also highly entertaining. Most of the time it comes out clunky when designers try to mix the two, but sometimes it works perfectly.

I think they had this balance nailed in the mid-60s, but they haven't been able to do it quite right in the following decades (EPCOT notwithstanding...I've not been there, yet). It's easier and less risky to throw all that development into an established, popular IP.

Comment

I don't think so and it is a huge miss. With all the technology we have up and coming there is no reason there isn't room for these types of attractions with sponsors. Apple, Microsoft and Tesla are easy ones to imagine where this could happen right away. Partnering with Microsoft to show off AI there are tons of opportunities. here is the short sided truth though they don't want to spend the resources AKA money and time to sit down with these companies and research/plan/execute such attractions. They don't even need to they are proving to us some fresh paint on existing attractions is all their customer base needs at this point.
            These are some of my favorite TRs I have posted

DL 55th BDAY trip report
            My company had a special night at the park
            WdW trip report with WWoHP
            NYE 2011 trip report
            Mice Chat 7th anniversary
            Leap year 24 hour report
            New DCA trip report
            NYE 2012
            HKDL trip report

Comment

Vintage Disney edutainment, with its characteristic combination of information, humor, whimsy and charm, existed at the Studio because Walt Disney personally valued it as a creative form and as an aspect of Disney's business (theatrical featurettes, TV shows, school films). Rooted in the Studio's WWII training films, it grew in the 50s, and found natural expression at Disneyland under Walt and the Gen-1 imagineers.

There is virtually no chance that it will return. It is not part of Disney Park's business model and no one at the top levels of management will champion it. In an era of easily accessible educational media, it is viewed as irrelevant.
              "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
              it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
              together with every variety of recreation and fun,
              designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
              - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
              - Bob Chapek

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post

There is virtually no chance that it will return. It is not part of Disney Park's business model and no one at the top levels of management will champion it. In an era of easily accessible educational media, it is viewed as irrelevant.
                And this, sadly, portends the very end of traditional Disney entertainment and values for ever.

Folks in this thread who think Disneyland is better with less edutainment seem to have forgotten that edutainment was Disneyland's raison d'etre.

Its very reason for being.

Comment

Originally posted by Theme_Park_Insider View Post
                  ...I think they had this balance nailed in the mid-60s, but they haven't been able to do it quite right in the following decades (EPCOT notwithstanding...I've not been there, yet). It's easier and less risky to throw all that development into an established, popular IP.
                  Sadly true. Not only is today's Disney composed of a different "they," but the in-house creative style, sensibilities, and values that were the core of Disney in the 60s have largely been lost.

Originally posted by Right Down Broadway View Post
                  And this, sadly, portends the very end of traditional Disney entertainment and values for ever.

Folks in this thread who think Disneyland is better with less edutainment seem to have forgotten that edutainment was Disneyland's raison d'etre.

Its very reason for being.
                  Exactly.
                  "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
                  it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
                  together with every variety of recreation and fun,
                  designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
                  - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
                  - Bob Chapek

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
                    Vintage Disney edutainment, with its characteristic combination of information, humor, whimsy and charm, existed at the Studio because Walt Disney personally valued it as a creative form and as an aspect of Disney's business (theatrical featurettes, TV shows, school films). Rooted in the Studio's WWII training films, it grew in the 50s, and found natural expression at Disneyland under Walt and the Gen-1 imagineers.

Ok then if not for Disney? But could other parks benefit from it, say SeaWorld? Spreading the message of conservation? They seem to have already started and are getting positive feedback. I have embedded a video.

Last edited by rld275501; 10-30-2019, 02:13 PM.
                    An Aspiring Walt Disney Imagineer.

Comment

Originally posted by rld275501 View Post
                      Ok then if not for Disney? But could other parks benefit from it, say SeaWorld? Spreading the message of conservation? They seem to have already started and are getting positive feedback. I have embedded a video.
                      SeaWorld single-handedly changed public perception of the vicious "Killer Whale" to an intelligent, complex Cetacea, through their use of Edutainment.

SeaWorld gets a bad rap for using their animals in shows, but I counter that the Hollywood Film Industry has done more damage to marine life than SeaWorld ever has.
                      “Not the least hard thing to bear when they go from us, these quiet friends, is that they carry away with them
                      so many years of our own lives.”

DL Trips: '58, '59, '61, '65, '66, '67, '68x2, '69x2, '70x2, '71x2, '73x2, '74x2, '75x2, '76x2, '77, '78,x2, '79x2, '80x2, '81, '82, '83, '88, '89x3, '90x2, '91, '93, '94, '95x2, '96, '97, '98x4, '99, '00, '01, '02, '03, '04, '05, '06, '07x2, '08, '09x2, '10, '11, '13
                      WDW Trips: '81
                      EPCOT Trips: '93
                      Tokyo DL Trips: '86

Comment

I think Zoos, Aquariums, and Museums are better suited for edu-tainment.

When education is the primary purpose, you just need to find a way to make it entertaining.

The other way around is what I believe doesn't work.
                        Mike_M

Disneyland Trips
                        Walt Disney World
                        Disneyland Paris

1980, 1982, 1984, 1986, 1987, 1989
                        1990, 1992, 1993

2000, 2001, 2006, 2007, 2009
                        2010, 2011, 2014, 2016, 2016, 2017, 2/2019, 11/2019

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_M View Post
                          I think Zoos, Aquariums, and Museums are better suited for edu-tainment.

When education is the primary purpose, you just need to find a way to make it entertaining.

The other way around is what I believe doesn't work.
                          Bingo!

Comment

Edu-tainment
                            can be use as a tool for the right reason......
                            can be a benefit .

But can be misuse as well.

Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Originally posted by mike_m View Post
                              i think zoos, aquariums, and museums are better suited for edu-tainment.

The other way around is what i believe doesn't work.
                              ........I Agree
                              Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Originally posted by stovk View Post

seaworld single-handedly changed public perception of the vicious "killer whale" to an intelligent, complex cetacea, through their use of edutainment.

Seaworld gets a bad rap for using their animals in shows, but i counter that the hollywood film industry has done more damage to marine life than seaworld ever has.
                                Bingo........
                                Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

When I think of Disney quality edutainment, I think about the cartoons they made for the government like family planning:

Comment

Originally posted by LOST View Post
                                    When I think of Disney quality edutainment, I think about the cartoons they made for the government like family planning:
                                    ...or the dangers of Fascism
                                    “Not the least hard thing to bear when they go from us, these quiet friends, is that they carry away with them

DL Trips: '58, '59, '61, '65, '66, '67, '68x2, '69x2, '70x2, '71x2, '73x2, '74x2, '75x2, '76x2, '77, '78,x2, '79x2, '80x2, '81, '82, '83, '88, '89x3, '90x2, '91, '93, '94, '95x2, '96, '97, '98x4, '99, '00, '01, '02, '03, '04, '05, '06, '07x2, '08, '09x2, '10, '11, '13

Comment

I think the key to edutainment is to NOT be heavy handed with it. Can you give someone an education without them realizing it? ATIS is a simple example, even the original subs was edutainment. Disney missed a big opportunity with the Nemo theme, edutainment would have been easy using the Nemo characters. Pixar did it with a short anim.

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Comment

Originally posted by MRaymond View Post
                                        I think the key to edutainment is to NOT be heavy handed with it. Can you give someone an education without them realizing it? ATIS is a simple example, even the original subs was edutainment. Disney missed a big opportunity with the Nemo theme, edutainment would have been easy using the Nemo characters. Pixar did it with a short anim.
                                        That’s because the current climate at Disney Parks can't seem to think outside the box. They see they have a hit with (in this case Nemo) and all they can see is that they need to follow the script. Never once looking at it a little deeper and asking, "How can we plus this up?" No imagination - Disney Parks control of WDI is starting to look like a sausage factory.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X