Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ugh, another merchandise rant

We all know that merchandise has gotten stale lately. (Though to be fair, there are some gems to be found.)

We all know it's harder to find Disneyland-specific stuff in the parks, because it's just cheaper to mass-merchandise everything and sell it in both parks. ("Disney Parks")

We all know that a lot of the merch is trying to be hip, with stupid (imo) stuffed animals and clothing items boasting popular food items, or modern-day slang ("Oh Snap" on a gingerbread cookie sweater or "Salty" on a Mickey pretzel T-shirt). Slight tangent: can any guests who visited in the 60s/70s/80s remember Disney trying to use merchandising or change characters to be relevant to the biggest-spending demographic? I can't.

But this is just kind of gets on my nerves: the generic boxed descriptions. Simple, boring font, totally sterile.

Example: ("Buttons, ya think?")

That said, please share pictures of when merchandise was good!
    Attached Files
    There's a million reasons to visit the Disney Parks. Two of them are featured on this pair of colorful buttons. Whether you're there ''For churros!'' or ''For Ears!'' you're guaranteed to have a wonderful time.

I think they sell those in our local 99 cent store...for a dime.
    “Not the least hard thing to bear when they go from us, these quiet friends, is that they carry away with them
    so many years of our own lives.”

DL Trips: '58, '59, '61, '65, '66, '67, '68x2, '69x2, '70x2, '71x2, '73x2, '74x2, '75x2, '76x2, '77, '78,x2, '79x2, '80x2, '81, '82, '83, '88, '89x3, '90x2, '91, '93, '94, '95x2, '96, '97, '98x4, '99, '00, '01, '02, '03, '04, '05, '06, '07x2, '08, '09x2, '10, '11, '13
    WDW Trips: '81
    EPCOT Trips: '93
    Tokyo DL Trips: '86

Comment

Seriously they actually made buttons to sell LOL please tell me this is a joke. They use to give out buttons now they are 9.99
      These are some of my favorite TRs I have posted

DL 55th BDAY trip report
      My company had a special night at the park
      WdW trip report with WWoHP
      NYE 2011 trip report
      Mice Chat 7th anniversary
      Leap year 24 hour report
      New DCA trip report
      NYE 2012
      HKDL trip report

Comment

That first button would have been a cute/fun freebie for those who ask for a Churro flavor map with intent to try them all. I personally don't feel like the second one should have been made. I understand ear collecting but there are only so many of them you can fit on your head and if you're a big Mickey Ear fan, chances are you're already wearing some when you enter the park/purchase this button. I dunno, the second one just doesn't seem to make much sense to me unless the person wearing it is also stringing various Mickey Ears all over their body like some kind of jewelry tree.

Generic? Yeah. Probably so they can throw any old buttons into that packaging down the line. Could have certainly been made to look more fun, especially for $9.99. I wouldn't mind paying that price for some sort of enamel pin but buttons of the same quality they give away for free? Pass.
        "I take no side. I am beyond your worrying and wars. I am unseen. Unknowable. Like a rock in the river."

Comment

It probably got lost in the rant, as I was pointing out generic merchandising in general, but my specific gripe in this thread was the ugly rectangle they slap on merchandise with basic bland fonts that state the obvious "Disney Parks... Buttons," (as in the top left corner), "Disney Parks... Haunted Mansion Attraction Ride Vehicle," etc.

Comment

Originally posted by biggsworth View Post
            Seriously they actually made buttons to sell LOL please tell me this is a joke. They use to give out buttons now they are 9.99
            Yep, all the buttons have gone generic. It used to be a unique one for birthdays, anniversaries, etc., now it's just a bunch of basic stuff they put out on a cart. I understand them putting it out there, as it frees up City Hall for other matters, but at least diversify the buttons.

Comment

Originally posted by HiddenMickey87 View Post
              It probably got lost in the rant, as I was pointing out generic merchandising in general, but my specific gripe in this thread was the ugly rectangle they slap on merchandise with basic bland fonts that state the obvious "Disney Parks... Buttons," (as in the top left corner), "Disney Parks... Haunted Mansion Attraction Ride Vehicle," etc.
              Sorry! It wasn't lost on me, it just wasn't addressed in my post. Believe me, as a HMH fan who loved collecting merchandise in it's earlier years, I'm no stranger to the generalization of Disney merchandise over time. Disney used to pull out all the stops for the Halloween/Christmas season where HMH was concerned (pin promotions, elaborate stain glass windows, stretching room portrait replicas, tarot cards, detailed Mansion/Nightmare figurines and changing portrait/fireplace mantle decor replicas, t-shirts, etc.) but nowadays I feel like all I can find are re-used artwork on not-so-inspired t-shirt designs (or way over the top ones) or pens with Jack Skellington's face on them.

Though, in fairness and like you said, some nice stuff does get through the cracks every now and again, you just have to look harder for it. My trip to the park for Halloween this year yielded a very nice Nightmare pin that reminded me of the simple yet unique designs from the earlier years that I loved very much.
              "I take no side. I am beyond your worrying and wars. I am unseen. Unknowable. Like a rock in the river."

Comment

I remember in the 80's and 70's everything was specific to a character attraction or land. There wasn't any cheeky trendy verbiage or food based items ( though social media hadn't come through and over saturated things either )

I remember the following being better and why:

- Mickey ears came in the style of the Mickey Mouse Club and you had the option of traditional Black but also several colors that where very 70's/80's in color with lime green and white ears and magenta and Orange etc. all colors that would be hip now. ( they really should bring these back and get rid of the over the top Thailand taxi'esque overkills that currently dominate the headwear options.

- Almost every attraction had a Poster that was a work of art. I wish I had bought all of them back when I had the chance. Many of these wonderful poster artworks could also be found on shirts.

- The toy muskets where actually wood and steal very little plastic at all and the hammers were such that you could put caps in them ( I still have my quiver of rifles and muskets from childhood the current plastic variety will start to crack within a couple of years.

- New Orleans Fritters where bigger than your fist and were crispy on the outside and doughy and warm on the inside no dipping sauce was needed.

- Softgoods where of the highest caliber, My Mom still wears sweatshirts that where once mine when I was younger that still hold up to this day My daughter wears a t-shirt of Mickey my Dad handed down to her before be past that she wears to this day. They also were done is styles that where subtle enough the you felt fine wearing them outside the park. Now most of the merchandise is too tacky and bordering on costume

- Many items were unique to certain stores and it was fun to actually shop around looking to find that unique trinket that you could only get at one location not simply hit the Emporium or the WOD store on the way out. ( though as a parent sometimes I am ok with this )

I think Disney still does many things very well but some of the classics have been abandoned and with it some of the charm.
                Last edited by Starcade; 11-04-2019, 03:04 PM.

Comment

I remember seeing those buttons last time I was there. The one I got the biggest kick out of was one that actually said (I kid you not), "I'm just here for all the rose gold!" Generally speaking I haven't really minded the whole food-as-merchandise trend but that is just taking it too far into the self-referential zone IMO.

As far as changing character merchandise in the 60s/70s/80s in order to be relevant to the bigger spending demographic, in general I think that's always been a thing. Anyone remember "Mickey Mouse Disco" or "Totally Minnie"?

Comment

Originally posted by Starcade View Post
                    ...and get rid of the over the top Thailand taxi'esque overkills that currently dominate the headwear options...

...They also where done is styles that where subtle enough the you felt fine wearing them outside the park. Now most of the merchandise is too tacky and bordering on costume...
                    That's a great descriptor!

This is my biggest disappointment with the clothing. There's nothing that's subtle to wear anymore, or if there is, it's a black T-shirt I could probably make myself.

Woo.

Heck, I wouldn't want to wear most it inside Disneyland. Tacky costume-wear is so right.

Comment

Originally posted by Starcade View Post
                      I remember in the 80's and 70's everything was specific to a character attraction or land.
                      This was one of my favorite parts of going to Disneyland. Without this element DL just feels hollow....

Comment

I wonder if you took inventory of how many items are based Disney original characters/attractions/lands versus Pixar, Marvel or Star Wars would they be dwarfed by the P/M/SW IP related items? I feel it's like 30% Dis to 70% P/M/SW at the moment.

Comment

The management team that controls DLR merchandise is totally under the thumb of the Chapek regime. The head of Disney Parks is the former guru of Disney Consumer Products, and it shows in the lack of taste, lower durability, and higher prices of DLR merchandise.
                          "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
                          it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
                          together with every variety of recreation and fun,
                          designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
                          - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
                          - Bob Chapek

Comment

Originally posted by biggsworth View Post
                            AMAZING -$9.99
                            Do they have a
                            button.....that say's

"I LOOKING FOR THE RESTROOM"((()))
                            Disney Consumer Products
                            Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

I am really tempted to make my own fake buttons since they are so easy to make, I'm thinking:

"I paid too much for this fun" - Themed to Main Street USA

"What happened to Mickey?" - Themed to Mickey

"Hold up, how much for a soda?" - Themed to a drink cart

"Crowds crowds everywhere is crowds" - Themed to NOS

"Chapek?...Off with his head!" - Themed to Queen of Hearts

"Indy is closed AGAIN" - Adventureland themed

"Where is a Everybody?" - Themed to SW:GE

etc. etc. if I only wore buttons.

Comment

Merch hasn’t been high on my list for a few years now and I’m kinda ok with that.

I’ve saved so much money by not being able to find many souvineers that I liked. Plus, the few things I have found that I like, are easier to display since there aren’t many.

I guess where I’m going here is that the silver lining with this is that for me, it’s ok that only 1% of the stuff sold in the park interests me.
                                Mike_M

Disneyland Trips
                                Walt Disney World
                                Disneyland Paris

1980, 1982, 1984, 1986, 1987, 1989
                                1990, 1992, 1993

2000, 2001, 2006, 2007, 2009
                                2010, 2011, 2014, 2016, 2016, 2017, 2/2019, 11/2019

Comment

I'd be down for wearing a Disneylines button with a picture of people in a queue.
                                  "Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money." - ​Walt Disney

Comment

I like them

Comment

I think I saw this at the Park

Click image for larger version

Name:	rotr2.jpg
Views:	482
Size:	1,014.9 KB
ID:	8606973
                                      “Not the least hard thing to bear when they go from us, these quiet friends, is that they carry away with them
                                      so many years of our own lives.”

DL Trips: '58, '59, '61, '65, '66, '67, '68x2, '69x2, '70x2, '71x2, '73x2, '74x2, '75x2, '76x2, '77, '78,x2, '79x2, '80x2, '81, '82, '83, '88, '89x3, '90x2, '91, '93, '94, '95x2, '96, '97, '98x4, '99, '00, '01, '02, '03, '04, '05, '06, '07x2, '08, '09x2, '10, '11, '13
                                      WDW Trips: '81
                                      EPCOT Trips: '93
                                      Tokyo DL Trips: '86

Comment

^^^^^ That good one to have?
                                        Last edited by Eagleman; 11-08-2019, 03:45 PM.
                                        Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X