Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Disneyland to give Snow White’s Scary Adventures dark ride a major facelift in 2020

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• News Disneyland to give Snow White’s Scary Adventures dark ride a major facelift in 2020

Snow White’s Scary Adventures is about to become the latest classic Fantasyland dark ride to undergo a major refurbishment when the Disneyland opening day attraction goes under the knife in 2020.

Disneyland filed a building permit with the city of Anaheim for a $445,000 refurbishment of Snow White’s Scary Adventures, according to city records.

Disneyland officials confirmed the Snow White’s Scary Adventures attraction is scheduled for refurbishment in 2020.

Disneyland crews will remove and replace show sets, props and scenes, install new structural beams, refurbish rock work and make electrical upgrades on the 6,200-square-foot Snow White dark ride, according to the building permit.

The permit also calls for new projector platforms that suggest that the attraction could see some upgraded special effects in select show scenes.

Snow White’s Scary Adventures is one of several Fantasyland attractions from Disneyland’s 1955 opening day that include Peter Pan’s Flight, Mr. Toad’s Wild Ride, Mad Tea Party, King Arthur Carousel and Storybook Land Canal Boats.

Peter Pan’s Flight dark ride underwent a seven-month refurbishment in 2015. The 1958 Alice in Wonderland dark ride got a five-month facelift in 2014. Mad Tea Party saw the tea cups tightened in 2004 to reduce the spinning speed. King Arthur Carousel underwent an extensive year-long restoration project in 2002 that stretched into 2003.
    Disneyland filed a building permit with the city of Anaheim for a $445,000 refurbishment of Snow White’s Scary Adventures, according to city records.

Storybook Land Canal Boats were not an opening day attraction. I think that attraction debuted in 56 or 57.

Comment

At this point , This can be good news......If it is done right..........
      and Snow White
      Scary Adventures does need TLC.....
      Just like others attration in the area.......Time will tell
      Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Originally posted by Ttgal4 View Post
        Storybook Land Canal Boats were not an opening day attraction. I think that attraction debuted in 56 or 57.
        The Disneyland version was one of the original attractions when the park opened on July 17, 1955,
        although the miniature buildings and landscaping were not added until the following year ..........
        You part right ........it was basic a boat ride ,when it open.
        Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Awesome news!
          These are some of my favorite TRs I have posted

DL 55th BDAY trip report
          My company had a special night at the park
          WdW trip report with WWoHP
          NYE 2011 trip report
          Mice Chat 7th anniversary
          Leap year 24 hour report
          New DCA trip report
          NYE 2012
          HKDL trip report

Comment

I really hope that simply refurbishing a ride is not the same thing as 'plussing' it...........

Comment

Originally posted by micromind View Post
              I really hope that simply refurbishing a ride is not the same thing as 'plussing' it...........
              Worse still would be if they turn it into a promotion for the live action Snow White remake that's set to be released in 2021.

"Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
              it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
              together with every variety of recreation and fun,
              designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
              - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
              - Bob Chapek

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post

Worse still would be if they turn it into a promotion for the live action Snow White remake that's set to be released in 2021.

Geeee - I HOPE NOT !>
                I only for originally Walt Disney ,Animation !
                Last edited by Eagleman; 11-08-2019, 06:08 PM.
                Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Oh that's interesting! Wonder what the finished project will look like. I kind of like the ride as is.

Comment

I just hope they keep it scary and don't take out some of the evil themes which made it fun.

Comment

I love the ride the way it is. I know Disneyland is not a museum but I enjoy some of the older stuff and how it takes you back. They did a good job with Peter Pan so I have hope. And I doubt they’ll use ride scenes to promote a live action movie.

Comment

I'm glad that Snow is getting an upgrade. Its nice to see that they are still updating the dark rides. It also puts to rest the rumor, that Beauty & the Beast, would replace SW in the future.

Now only Toad and Pinocchio, are the remaining Fantasyland Dark Rides to be updated.

This is correct. While the boats and Canal were there from the beginning, it wasn't til later that they actually added the miniature houses to the ride. Because nothing sound pleasant as sailing along blank hills!

Comment

Originally posted by Spongeocto4 View Post
                          I'm glad that Snow is getting an upgrade. Its nice to see that they are still updating the dark rides. It also puts to rest the rumor, that Beauty & the Beast, would replace SW in the future.

Now only Toad and Pinocchio, are the remaining Fantasyland Dark Rides to be updated.
                          They have all been updated from the original rides.

Comment

As long as it gets the same kind of love that Alice did, I'm OK with plussing the classic dark rides.

Recently watched a youtube video of the Tokyo version of Snow White and there are some FX there that would look good in the CA version and not take away from the original feel.

Certain things like the Hag offering the apple near the end could definitely benefit from a fresh approach.

WDI has done a great job plussing the other FL dark rides so I don't have concern in their ability to continue making good choices here.
                            Mike_M

Disneyland Trips
                            Walt Disney World
                            Disneyland Paris

1980, 1982, 1984, 1986, 1987, 1989
                            1990, 1992, 1993

2000, 2001, 2006, 2007, 2009
                            2010, 2011, 2014, 2016, 2016, 2017, 2/2019, 11/2019

Comment

Originally posted by IndianWarCanoe View Post

They have all been updated from the original rides.
                              True, Toad was updated during the Fantasyland overhaul in 1982/83 and Pinocchio was added at that time, but I don't think either attraction has had and major updating since then.

Comment

Yep. When I rode it a few weeks ago, the boat driver actually said it was opening day. I eye rolled pretty hard... if the mud bank ride that was there in '55 counts as Storybookland, then Mission Breakout opened in 2004.

Comment

Originally posted by C. Andrew Nelson View Post

True, Toad was updated during the Fantasyland overhaul in 1982/83 and Pinocchio was added at that time, but I don't think either attraction has had and major updating since then.
                                  After
                                  Snow White
                                  ,I sure it would be Mr. Toad ,then Pinocchio be on there list.
                                  Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Originally posted by Harold82 View Post
                                    I doubt they’ll use ride scenes to promote a live action movie.
                                    I Believe you are right..... ( but one never know with .......today Disney)
                                    But I Hoping for the Best and better
                                    originally
                                    Walt Disney ,Animation dark ride !
                                    Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Interesting... I wonder if they'll add the dancing scene

Comment

Normally I'm not one to want to go messing with the classics, but I always wished that this ride had a proper ending (like the Snow White ride in WDW did). I know it's supposed to be the "scary" adventures but the sudden "And they lived happily ever after" mural right after the witch falls off the cliff has always bothered me, just feels incomplete. At any rate, it doesn't really matter since there's no room to create another scene, and I wouldn't want them taking out any of the other scenes to accommodate a more proper finale. I think it would have been better if they would have incorporated the mural of Snow White riding off with the Prince into the happily ever after mural instead of having it off to the side where you exit the vehicle.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X