Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it me or does “Avengers Campus” feel like it won’t open next year?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I remember people saying the same about SW:GE, granted the Battle Escape ride still has yet to open but the land in general was all good to go on opening day more so then DL was for it's grand opening.
    Disneyland Fan since the 70's

Comment

The building framework seems to be mostly complete and I think there was even a cement truck spotted within this last week. I think Avengers Campus looks to be about as far along as SW:GE did last fall. I think they will make it especially since the big e-ticket is already confirmed to not be open on launch just like Rise of the Resistance.

Comment

For a company that takes three months to fix fallen plaster on the Matterhorn, and six months to rebuild the Adventureland sign, a 2020 Marvel Land seems like wishful thinking.

"Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
        it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
        together with every variety of recreation and fun,
        designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
        - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
        - Bob Chapek

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
          For a company that takes three months to fix fallen plaster on the Matterhorn, and six months to rebuild the Adventureland sign, a 2020 Marvel Land seems like wishful thinking.
          With the magic of budget cuts, it's not a matter of when in 2020 it will open, but how complete the land will be. Pixar Pier was (is?) getting promised updates almost a year past its opening date. I wouldn't be surprised if we get a Spiderman ride with frequent breakdowns and a couple of bathrooms in the near future.

Comment

Originally posted by WaltDisney'sAlec View Post

With the magic of budget cuts, it's not a matter of when in 2020 it will open, but how complete the land will be. Pixar Pier was (is?) getting promised updates almost a year past its opening date. I wouldn't be surprised if we get a Spiderman ride with frequent breakdowns and a couple of bathrooms in the near future.
            I for one at my age....I want more BATHROOM's
            and thatbe my
            Avenger
            Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

I wouldn't be surprised if we get a Spiderman ride with frequent breakdowns and a couple of bathrooms in the near future.
              Technically they don't have to add them, as the old Bug's land bathrooms were never demolished.

Comment

This is what I fear.

Pixar Pier elements not at opening: 1) Pixar Lamp Audio-Animatronic 2) Jesse’s Critter Carousel 3) Emotional Whirlwind 4) Candy Crying Bing Bong

Galaxy’s Edge elements not at opening: 1) Rise of the Resistance 2) Land Entertainment

Same will happen for Avengers Campus

Comment

Originally posted by MAC1986 View Post

This is what I fear.

Pixar Pier elements not at opening: 1) Pixar Lamp Audio-Animatronic 2) Jesse’s Critter Carousel 3) Emotional Whirlwind 4) Candy Crying Bing Bong

Galaxy’s Edge elements not at opening: 1) Rise of the Resistance 2) Land Entertainment

Same will happen for Avengers Campus
                  My fear exactly, they do not seem to be learning from the poor responses to opening incomplete lands on the opening date. Fans get high expectations and hopes for lands they have wanted to see for a long time and they open incomplete with one attraction and that one attraction is not even the marque attraction. It is a poor business model and it has already coast them plenty with Galaxy's edge.
                  BGood! It's not just my motto its my name!

Comment

Originally posted by mickdaddy View Post

My fear exactly, they do not seem to be learning from the poor responses to opening incomplete lands on the opening date. Fans get high expectations and hopes for lands they have wanted to see for a long time and they open incomplete with one attraction and that one attraction is not even the marque attraction. It is a poor business model and it has already coast them plenty with Galaxy's edge.
                    I AGREE...........imo - I see it ,as another mall area
                    Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Originally posted by Eagleman View Post

I AGREE...........imo - I see it ,as another mall area
                      I feel it's going to be a giant meet and greet

Comment

Posted a year ago in the thread "Will Marvel Land be Wakanda?"...

Originally posted by datbates View Post
                        I was just listening to an interview with Joe Rhode and they mentioned that he's going to be doing Marvel Land. I thought about an environment that would work for Marvel and be interesting that would interest Joe Rhode. I am starting to think that it's going to be Avatarland part two based on Wakanda from the Black Panther movie. Joe Rhode will probably do tech jungle because historically all his efforts have that style (Mexico Pavilion, Animal Kingdom, Adventurer's Club). I’m now kinda excited about it. They keep the jungle vibe of Bugs Land and add the high tech. Adventureland of DCA.

My reply in the thread:

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
                        As senior as Joe is, he takes orders from the top like everyone else. He's nowhere near the level on the corporate hierarchy as John was as "Chief Creative Officer," and even he had to fight tooth-and-nail to keep Iger's sharp-pencil boys from slashing the budget on Carsland.

Given management's belief that it's the brand that draws in the customers, given the budget pressures from the expenditures for Star Wars Land and the Fox acquisition, given Chapek's record of cheapness, and (most importantly) given the years of proof that no matter how cheap and cheesy the offering, the customers will still crowd the DLR in ever-growing numbers, it wouldn't be surprising if management ordered Joe to deliver a "Marvel Land Lite" -- a low-rent combination of painted backdrops, character meets-and-greets, merchandise stores, fast-food restaurants, a parade, maybe a stage play or street theater, and no rides.

Comparisons to Avatarland don't apply. If it hadn't been for the hands-on involvement and protection of the franchise's owner and creator, James Cameron, you can bet that Joe's marching orders -- and his budget -- would have been very different. Even more so if Avatarland had been greenlit under Chapek instead of Tom Staggs, whose idea it was.

There is no such heavy-hitter creative in the Company who can demand and get the standards for Marvel Land that Cameron did for Avatarland and Lasseter did for Carsland. And forget about Marvel's execs fighting Iger and Chapek for bigger budgets and higher creative quality -- that's not their gig.

- Walt Disney

- Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
                        - Bob Chapek

Comment

Originally posted by mickdaddy View Post

I feel it's going to be a giant meet and greet
                          YEP
                          a Marvel - Hang Out ,,,, that why they , calling it a Campus .
                          IMO
                          cheap and cheesy
                          Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Mr Wiggins, one interesting thing that did change compared to last year, is Kevin Feige's job. Up until recently, he was only the president of Marvel Studios. Now he's been promoted to Chief Creative Officer for all of Marvel, and not just the Studios.

While I don't think that it will affect the land that much by now, it will be a Wild Card factor for the land's future. As he will now have a say in the content of the land, versus just being a consultant.

Comment

If it does open on time, it will be half open with a ton of downgrades. For a number of years now Disney has over promised and under delivered. I don't expect the trend to change until management changes.

Comment

Originally posted by tarheelalum View Post
                                If it does open on time, it will be half open with a ton of downgrades. For a number of years now Disney has over promised and under delivered. I don't expect the trend to change until management changes.
                                like that saying =
                                Disney has over promised and under Delivered......
                                TRUE !

Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Is it me...or does anyone even care if Avenger’s Campus opens next year? Or at all for that matter? I’m personally about as excited for this new land as I was for Pacific Wharf.

Comment

Originally posted by Spongeocto4 View Post
                                    Mr Wiggins, one interesting thing that did change compared to last year, is Kevin Feige's job. Up until recently, he was only the president of Marvel Studios. Now he's been promoted to Chief Creative Officer for all of Marvel, and not just the Studios.

While I don't think that it will affect the land that much by now, it will be a Wild Card factor for the land's future. As he will now have a say in the content of the land, versus just being a consultant.
                                    Unfortunately, Feige can't override Chapek. He can consult and advise, but cannot override Chapek on Parks content any more than Chapek can override Feige on film content. Politically, Feige has to tread lightly on Chapek's turf: Iger has Chapek's back on his M.O. of cutting the quality and quantity of Parks product to increase profits. Finance, Marketing, and Consumer Products are solidly in his camp. And Chapek outranks Feige (he's a full Chairman). He has a much longer track record of delivering major profits for the Company. And he's still on the list of Iger's possible successors.

- Walt Disney

- Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
                                    - Bob Chapek

Comment

Originally posted by Disney Adventure View Post
                                      Is it me...or does anyone even care if Avenger’s Campus opens next year? Or at all for that matter? I’m personally about as excited for this new land as I was for Pacific Wharf.
                                      I want it to open just so I can go through the area to Hollywoodland
                                      These are some of my favorite TRs I have posted

DL 55th BDAY trip report
                                      My company had a special night at the park
                                      WdW trip report with WWoHP
                                      NYE 2011 trip report
                                      Mice Chat 7th anniversary
                                      Leap year 24 hour report
                                      New DCA trip report
                                      NYE 2012
                                      HKDL trip report

Comment

Originally posted by Eagleman View Post

YEP
                                        a Marvel - Hang Out ,,,, that why they , calling it a Campus .
                                        IMO
                                        cheap and cheesy
                                        Agreed and the sad thing is they have two IP's in marvel and Star Wars that people love and have strong feelings towards. Most people have already built these lands in their heads with iconic visuals from the films we love and they have really dropped the ball when it comes to both of these new lands. The Superhero campus artwork just looks blah to me and really does not have a lot to do with the marvel universe in my IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Disney Adventure View Post
                                          I think Pacific Wharf had more excitement.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X