Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it me or does “Avengers Campus” feel like it won’t open next year?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eagleman
    replied
    Originally posted by tarheelalum View Post
    If it does open on time, it will be half open with a ton of downgrades. For a number of years now Disney has over promised and under delivered. I don't expect the trend to change until management changes.
    like that saying =
    Disney has over promised and under Delivered......
    TRUE !

Leave a comment:

• tarheelalum
    replied
    If it does open on time, it will be half open with a ton of downgrades. For a number of years now Disney has over promised and under delivered. I don't expect the trend to change until management changes.

Leave a comment:

• Spongeocto4
    replied
    Mr Wiggins, one interesting thing that did change compared to last year, is Kevin Feige's job. Up until recently, he was only the president of Marvel Studios. Now he's been promoted to Chief Creative Officer for all of Marvel, and not just the Studios.

While I don't think that it will affect the land that much by now, it will be a Wild Card factor for the land's future. As he will now have a say in the content of the land, versus just being a consultant.

Leave a comment:

• Eagleman
    replied
    Originally posted by mickdaddy View Post

I feel it's going to be a giant meet and greet
    YEP
    a Marvel - Hang Out ,,,, that why they , calling it a Campus .
    IMO
    cheap and cheesy

Leave a comment:

• Mr Wiggins
    replied

Posted a year ago in the thread "Will Marvel Land be Wakanda?"...

Originally posted by datbates View Post
    I was just listening to an interview with Joe Rhode and they mentioned that he's going to be doing Marvel Land. I thought about an environment that would work for Marvel and be interesting that would interest Joe Rhode. I am starting to think that it's going to be Avatarland part two based on Wakanda from the Black Panther movie. Joe Rhode will probably do tech jungle because historically all his efforts have that style (Mexico Pavilion, Animal Kingdom, Adventurer's Club). I’m now kinda excited about it. They keep the jungle vibe of Bugs Land and add the high tech. Adventureland of DCA.

My reply in the thread:

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    As senior as Joe is, he takes orders from the top like everyone else. He's nowhere near the level on the corporate hierarchy as John was as "Chief Creative Officer," and even he had to fight tooth-and-nail to keep Iger's sharp-pencil boys from slashing the budget on Carsland.

Given management's belief that it's the brand that draws in the customers, given the budget pressures from the expenditures for Star Wars Land and the Fox acquisition, given Chapek's record of cheapness, and (most importantly) given the years of proof that no matter how cheap and cheesy the offering, the customers will still crowd the DLR in ever-growing numbers, it wouldn't be surprising if management ordered Joe to deliver a "Marvel Land Lite" -- a low-rent combination of painted backdrops, character meets-and-greets, merchandise stores, fast-food restaurants, a parade, maybe a stage play or street theater, and no rides.

Comparisons to Avatarland don't apply. If it hadn't been for the hands-on involvement and protection of the franchise's owner and creator, James Cameron, you can bet that Joe's marching orders -- and his budget -- would have been very different. Even more so if Avatarland had been greenlit under Chapek instead of Tom Staggs, whose idea it was.

There is no such heavy-hitter creative in the Company who can demand and get the standards for Marvel Land that Cameron did for Avatarland and Lasseter did for Carsland. And forget about Marvel's execs fighting Iger and Chapek for bigger budgets and higher creative quality -- that's not their gig.

Leave a comment:

• mickdaddy
    replied
    Originally posted by Eagleman View Post

I AGREE...........imo - I see it ,as another mall area
    I feel it's going to be a giant meet and greet

Leave a comment:

• Eagleman
    replied
    Originally posted by mickdaddy View Post

My fear exactly, they do not seem to be learning from the poor responses to opening incomplete lands on the opening date. Fans get high expectations and hopes for lands they have wanted to see for a long time and they open incomplete with one attraction and that one attraction is not even the marque attraction. It is a poor business model and it has already coast them plenty with Galaxy's edge.
    I AGREE...........imo - I see it ,as another mall area

Leave a comment:

• mickdaddy
    replied
    Originally posted by MAC1986 View Post

This is what I fear.

Pixar Pier elements not at opening: 1) Pixar Lamp Audio-Animatronic 2) Jesse’s Critter Carousel 3) Emotional Whirlwind 4) Candy Crying Bing Bong

Galaxy’s Edge elements not at opening: 1) Rise of the Resistance 2) Land Entertainment

Same will happen for Avengers Campus
    My fear exactly, they do not seem to be learning from the poor responses to opening incomplete lands on the opening date. Fans get high expectations and hopes for lands they have wanted to see for a long time and they open incomplete with one attraction and that one attraction is not even the marque attraction. It is a poor business model and it has already coast them plenty with Galaxy's edge.

Leave a comment:

• MAC1986
    replied
    Originally posted by WaltDisney'sAlec View Post

With the magic of budget cuts, it's not a matter of when in 2020 it will open, but how complete the land will be. Pixar Pier was (is?) getting promised updates almost a year past its opening date. I wouldn't be surprised if we get a Spiderman ride with frequent breakdowns and a couple of bathrooms in the near future.
    This is what I fear.

Pixar Pier elements not at opening: 1) Pixar Lamp Audio-Animatronic 2) Jesse’s Critter Carousel 3) Emotional Whirlwind 4) Candy Crying Bing Bong

Galaxy’s Edge elements not at opening: 1) Rise of the Resistance 2) Land Entertainment

Same will happen for Avengers Campus

Leave a comment:

• Spongeocto4
    replied
    I wouldn't be surprised if we get a Spiderman ride with frequent breakdowns and a couple of bathrooms in the near future.
    Technically they don't have to add them, as the old Bug's land bathrooms were never demolished.

Leave a comment:

• Eagleman
    replied

With the magic of budget cuts, it's not a matter of when in 2020 it will open, but how complete the land will be. Pixar Pier was (is?) getting promised updates almost a year past its opening date. I wouldn't be surprised if we get a Spiderman ride with frequent breakdowns and a couple of bathrooms in the near future.
    I for one at my age....I want more BATHROOM's
    and thatbe my
    Avenger

Leave a comment:

• WaltDisney'sAlec
    replied
    Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    For a company that takes three months to fix fallen plaster on the Matterhorn, and six months to rebuild the Adventureland sign, a 2020 Marvel Land seems like wishful thinking.

Leave a comment:

• Mr Wiggins
    replied
    For a company that takes three months to fix fallen plaster on the Matterhorn, and six months to rebuild the Adventureland sign, a 2020 Marvel Land seems like wishful thinking.

Leave a comment:

• Raymonator
    replied
    The building framework seems to be mostly complete and I think there was even a cement truck spotted within this last week. I think Avengers Campus looks to be about as far along as SW:GE did last fall. I think they will make it especially since the big e-ticket is already confirmed to not be open on launch just like Rise of the Resistance.

Leave a comment:

• Starcade
    replied
    I remember people saying the same about SW:GE, granted the Battle Escape ride still has yet to open but the land in general was all good to go on opening day more so then DL was for it's grand opening.

Leave a comment:

• Eagleman
    replied
    Originally posted by biggsworth View Post

wow you can see that progress all the way from batuu impressive!
    lol
    Last edited by Eagleman; 11-12-2019, 03:25 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Natalie Price
    replied
    Originally posted by biggsworth View Post

Wow you can see that progress all the way from Batuu impressive!
    I can go backstage at DCA.

Leave a comment:

• Spongeocto4
    replied
    Here's a quick refesher for everyone. It's Tough to be a Bug closed back in March 2018, with Bugs Land set to close later in June 2018.

However while construction began on Spider-Man, Bugs Land Demolition was delayed til the end of Summer, with it beginning in September(2018).

WDI's past track record on the length of building a dark ride from scratch was normally 2 years, with E-Tickets and fully fledged lands taking long to build(The entirety of Cars Land took 3 years to build).

So unless they have technical hiccups with Spider-Man, the ride should be open by summer. Avengers' HQ, on the other hand is another thing entirely.

TDA/WDI have been discreet on the land as a whole, with the actual layout still under wraps. This causes uncertainty to the late start. In addition, the red car trolley and parades have been suspended due to work, with the former needed to be rerouted for the land.

So there is a significant chance, the land will be late.

Leave a comment:

• biggsworth
    replied
    Originally posted by Natalie Price View Post
    I can only tell what my impression is of the construction as seen from backstage. It's really moving along!
    Wow you can see that progress all the way from Batuu impressive!

Leave a comment:

• SoCalDisneyFan
    replied
    I visited the resort this past weekend. The night-and-day difference between the queues for the Roger Rabbit and Monsters Inc. rides is crazy to me, and the quality is reflective of the budget and spending afforded to each project. The short time I was by Guardians of the Galaxy I could hear crews working during park hours. They're really making the push.
    You mean Roger Rabbit & Superstar Limo. The ride so nice, they had to build it twice.

I'm not certain since I can't remember it that well, but my guess is that they just reworked the original Limo queue, and that was probably done on the cheap, as was a lot of CA Adventure when it opened.

Leave a comment:

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
Working...
X