Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone watch "The Imagineering Story" on Disney+?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm caught up with all the episodes and I'm LOVING it! There is so much exclusive footage and facts I never knew before! I also appreciate how honest they're being about things that failed or didn't work out rather than glossing it over. Can't wait for the next episode!
    it's a music celebration!

Comment

Some fun things to hear from the first episode

Walt saying the Park will never be finished was kinda an excuse for why not all the rides were open....kinda lol. Walt was such a good BSer and Business man

Also love how they talk about Kentic Energy yet most new lands really don't have that...its all just movies into theme parks and rarley do the lands feel alive besides a few examples.
      Happy Halloween!!!

Comment

Originally posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
        Walt saying the Park will never be finished was kinda an excuse for why not all the rides were open....kinda lol.
        In point of historical fact, Walt saying the Park will never be finished had nothing to do with making excuses for what it was in 1955. Disneyland was the product of his personal passion for steam trains, miniatures, Victorian mechanical figures, modern technology, futurism, storytelling and showmanship; in addition to his businessman's instinct for what the public would like. Numerous interviews and quotes about Disneyland never being completed illustrate Walt's determination to continually plus his Park -- as demonstrated by the astonishing rate of progress from 1955's simple Fantasyland rides to the explosion of AA attractions in the 1960s.

Originally posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
        Walt was such a good BSer and Business man
        Walt was a good businessman and great storyteller: Even the animators who couldn't stand working for him called him the best story pitch man in town. But he didn't BS the public. He didn't have to -- with rare exception, Disneyland delivered more that his pitches promised.
        "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
        it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
        together with every variety of recreation and fun,
        designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
        - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
        - Bob Chapek

Comment

Walt’s penchant for over delivering was indeed one of the major secrets to his success.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post

In point of historical fact, Walt saying the Park will never be finished had nothing to do with making excuses for what it was in 1955. Disneyland was the product of his personal passion for steam trains, miniatures, Victorian mechanical figures, modern technology, futurism, storytelling and showmanship; in addition to his businessman's instinct for what the public would like. Numerous interviews and quotes about Disneyland never being completed illustrate Walt's determination to continually plus his Park -- as demonstrated by the astonishing rate of progress from 1955's simple Fantasyland rides to the explosion of AA attractions in the 1960s.

Walt was a good businessman and great storyteller: Even the animators who couldn't stand working for him called him the best story pitch man in town. But he didn't BS the public. He didn't have to -- with rare exception, Disneyland delivered more that his pitches promised.
            Weird Disney would put it in the Doc like that then

Also I feel Walt was never a great Business man...he was a great leader at getting creative people to work hard...he was not the best to handle money but we are all lucky he was so passionate to sell his house to make Theme Parks a real industry
            Happy Halloween!!!

Comment

Originally posted by zugzug15 View Post

I am wondering if they will touch on the same points about culture and construction when they get around to discussing Hong Kong....
              They mentioned it a little bit in the most recent episode. They spent a fair amount of time talking about Animal Kingdom and what a success it was, only to be followed by Tokyo DinseySea. They even brought up Disney's America and the miscalculations made there.

The majority of the episode was spent talking about the failures of California Adventure, Walt Disney Studios Park and Disneyland Hong Kong. Building half-day parks or not investing adequate budgets was a recipe for disaster, but there seemed to be some conflict surrounding that. Michael Eisner offered his contemporary perspective that providing smaller budgets can encourage greater creativity, which personally seems implausible in practice if not just outright wrong in the context of building Disney rides. That moment felt like the epitome of drinking the corporate Kool-Aid.

It was great to see so many Imagineers criticize Paul Pressler for his merchandising bent. I was shocked to see that Leslie Iwerks actually interviewed him, but less surprised that he was not humbled by his experience as head of Parks & Resorts. Somehow he still struck me as more amiable than Bob Chapek, which says a lot. I really just don't understand Disney's thinking with this parks strategy. They talk about how OLC's budget for Tokyo DIsneySea was double (or even triple?) Disney's budget for DCA, and how it is better to do something properly from the start then to have to go back and fix it. How can they not see that investing the proper budget in a project will be great in the short term and even better in the long term?

Again, the episode ended in the tone of disappointment and ended with Eisner's ouster, setting up what I expect to be Bob Iger's savior story. Let's see if he owns up to any mistakes in his interviews, or if he's as infallible as the Pope.

Comment

Originally posted by WaltDisney'sAlec View Post
                I really just don't understand Disney's thinking with this parks strategy. They talk about how OLC's budget for Tokyo DIsneySea was double (or even triple?) Disney's budget for DCA, and how it is better to do something properly from the start then to have to go back and fix it. How can they not see that investing the proper budget in a project will be great in the short term and even better in the long term?
                In any business where the players have a vested interest, that is how it's done - do it right, right from the beginning. However, the "culture" which has manifested itself into the WDC has no long term interest in the "product". These people are in it for the short-term, mainly, and Disney is just a stepping stone up the corporate trail. They have no "passion" for Disneyland and their only interest in its success is just a line item on the balance sheet. As long as it's doing good "right now", that's good enough. And the easiest way to make it "look" like it's doing good "right now" is to cut the non-essentials, reduce staff, do what is minimally required, and hype up the merchandising. For as long as they get their "cut" (which could be $$ or prestige) before they jump ship, it is fine with them.

Originally posted by WaltDisney'sAlec View Post
                Again, the episode ended in the tone of disappointment and ended with Eisner's ouster, setting up what I expect to be Bob Iger's savior story. Let's see if he owns up to any mistakes in his interviews, or if he's as infallible as the Pope.
                I have a sickening feeling about this as well. Of course the "Bright Suns" people around here who genuflect at the mere mention of Iger's name, will love it.
                “Not the least hard thing to bear when they go from us, these quiet friends, is that they carry away with them
                so many years of our own lives.”

DL Trips: '58, '59, '61, '65, '66, '67, '68x2, '69x2, '70x2, '71x2, '73x2, '74x2, '75x2, '76x2, '77, '78,x2, '79x2, '80x2, '81, '82, '83, '88, '89x3, '90x2, '91, '93, '94, '95x2, '96, '97, '98x4, '99, '00, '01, '02, '03, '04, '05, '06, '07x2, '08, '09x2, '10, '11, '13
                WDW Trips: '81
                EPCOT Trips: '93
                Tokyo DL Trips: '86

Comment

Love the details and not sugar coat everything (like ABC specials do). I was surprised they had Eisner and Pressler do actual interviews! As others have said, it will sure be interesting how they portray current leaders. I also hope they dive into truthful details about SWGE.

Comment

Originally posted by stovk View Post

In any business where the players have a vested interest, that is how it's done - do it right, right from the beginning. However, the "culture" which has manifested itself into the WDC has no long term interest in the "product". These people are in it for the short-term, mainly, and Disney is just a stepping stone up the corporate trail. They have no "passion" for Disneyland and their only interest in its success is just a line item on the balance sheet. As long as it's doing good "right now", that's good enough. And the easiest way to make it "look" like it's doing good "right now" is to cut the non-essentials, reduce staff, do what is minimally required, and hype up the merchandising. For as long as they get their "cut" (which could be $$ or prestige) before they jump ship, it is fine with them.

I have a sickening feeling about this as well. Of course the "Bright Suns" people around here who genuflect at the mere mention of Iger's name, will love it.
                    How true. With Walt and the '55ers, Disneyland was treated more as a Hobby than a "Business" - the same way people build models, or the art of bonsai. This new batch of executives have no affinity for Disneyland. They would be just as passionate working at Oscar-Mayer cranking out Bologna as they are at Disneyland.
                    We need another Walt...and fast!

"It's always more difficult to recover than it is to do the right thing at the beginning" - Tony Baxter,
                    The Imagineering Story, Episode 4 "Hit or Miss"

Comment

Originally posted by CM08 View Post
                      Love the details and not sugar coat everything (like ABC specials do). I was surprised they had Eisner and Pressler do actual interviews! As others have said, it will sure be interesting how they portray current leaders. I also hope they dive into truthful details about SWGE.
                      As it had taken them years to develop this series I doubt there will be much about post SWGE. Due to the timing of production it more than likely stops with the preopening of SWGE.

Comment

Originally posted by stovk View Post

IGER
                        Well ,I one that does not have No Respect for this High Price CEO !
                        IMO

Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post

I think the chance that Iwerks would be allowed to include anything in her film that is even slightly critical of Disney management is essentially zero. Considering that the Iger regime has been notoriously intolerant of criticism, it's impossible to imagine how they would allow it in a program that they are airing on Disney+.
                          Looks like that's actually not the case with this show, thankfully.

Comment

The show has been surprisingly honest with it's criticisms. It did actually make me feel a bit for Eisner. The one/two punch of Wells dying and having a heart attack seemed to really change him.
                            "Have I gone mad?"
                            "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. "

Comment

I'm really enjoying this so far (only watched two episodes). But I admit my favorite part is the old footage & photos of the 1960s-70s DL from my 'early days'. So many little things I'd forgotten!
                              "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

Comment

Originally posted by Stormy View Post
                                I'm really enjoying this so far (only watched two episodes). But I admit my favorite part is the old footage & photos of the 1960s-70s DL from my 'early days'. So many little things I'd forgotten!
                                I enjoy the old
                                footage of
                                Disneyland
                                with
                                Uncle "WALT
                                "
                                Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

I've really enjoyed the series so far.

Comment

I watched the entire first episode while waiting in line at Disneyland lol. As others said if you are a hardcore fan, none of it was really new but its still great to see nonetheless. I haven't seen the others other than part four because I knew that was going to focus on the decline of new Disney parks post- DLP and DCA being its main emphasis. It did not disappoint. They owned up to what a horrible period that was and how they short changed so much of creating DCA and the others. That was really the first time in my life I felt truly let down by Disney. Even when things aren't perfect or you can see they made some cuts to a ride or show it still came out decently because the story and charm was still there. But so much of DCA felt so soul less. I think that along with HKDL and WDSP was a wake up call as they it admit none of these parks ever achieved the minimum attendance numbers they were hoping for in their first year while TDS over performed in its first year. There has been a big turn around since then. Yes, maybe not to what everyone wants here but its no way we would've ever gotten something on the level of a GE 20 years ago either.

I plan to watch the others when I have time. I'm in the middle of my Star Wars binge but will watch the others soon.

Comment

I have enjoyed the series, as well. I like how they intersperse each episode with actual audio of Walt and his opinions. I was very interested in how the company ran, immediately after Walt's death to Eisner's time, as that all happened before I was born.

It's nice to see the other aspects, like the cruise line and the process of the international parks began.

I can't believe they threw shade at Pressler for DCA and I wouldn't be surprised, if Pressler publicly complains about his "potrayal", even if he was involved with production.

Even though there is only 6 episodes planned, it would be cool, if they made more episodes to cover what they missed originally in the documentary(Fantasmic's creation and Light Magic, the Marc Davis Vs. Claude Coats/Tony Baxter feud, the Disneyland hotel and the later parks hotels, Castaway Cay).

Comment

Be sure to watch the preview and end of last week's episode for this coming week (Friday 12/13)... looks like they will cover Galaxy's Edge. Rise construciton, and 1 empty pod from Smuggler's was shown being tested in warehouse.

Comment

I'm surprised no is talking about Episode 7, which deals with the backlash of the It's a Small World Controversy, and the installation of the Haunted Mansion Holiday.

While I admit they did omit somethings(America's inclusion in IASW, how the papa new guinea/Rainforest segment was nearly axed entirely), I'm surprised they included fan's protests letters and internet posts. Even the new's blurb of "Its a Mall World now", wound up in the doc.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X