Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Pictures] Photos from 1955

67 publicity photos of the brand new Disneyland in July 1955.

https://m.sfgate.com/entertainment/b...y-11294427.php

Originally posted by Bob Weaver View Post
    67 publicity photos of the brand new Disneyland in July 1955.

https://m.sfgate.com/entertainment/b...y-11294427.php
    WOE...................
    Uncle "WALT" and new Disneyland................Thank You for sharing- Bob !
    Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Simply stunning.

Comment

These are truly wonderful. It's so crazy to see the park brand spanking new and so empty. Here are some gems I found:
        • A photo with all the characters... the Cast Member playing Mickey has her head off. Is this on stage? The Donald Duck looks terrifying too.
        • Esmeralda the fortune teller looks absolutely terrifying and unrealistic.
        • A shirtless man wading in the Rivers of America in front of the Mark Twain doing... who knows what?
        • Someone drinking from a water fountain on opening day, which I thought were forgone because Walt chose toilets over drinking fountains due to a plumber strike.

Comment

Originally posted by WaltDisney'sAlec View Post
          Someone drinking from a water fountain on opening day, which I thought were forgone because Walt chose toilets over drinking fountains due to a plumber strike.
          Those photos might not be from opening day. The biggest offender I found was an image of the Skyway, which would open in 1957.

Comment

Wonderful photos!
            And everyone is so thin! We really do need to go on a National Diet.

Comment

I couldn't take my eyes off of Kathleen Case and Adelle August.
              “Not the least hard thing to bear when they go from us, these quiet friends, is that they carry away with them
              so many years of our own lives.”

DL Trips: '58, '59, '61, '65, '66, '67, '68x2, '69x2, '70x2, '71x2, '73x2, '74x2, '75x2, '76x2, '77, '78,x2, '79x2, '80x2, '81, '82, '83, '88, '89x3, '90x2, '91, '93, '94, '95x2, '96, '97, '98x4, '99, '00, '01, '02, '03, '04, '05, '06, '07x2, '08, '09x2, '10, '11, '13
              WDW Trips: '81
              EPCOT Trips: '93
              Tokyo DL Trips: '86

Comment

Thanks so much for sharing those were great and some very interesting photos, the early characters were nightmare inducing at best, and Mickey holding his own head which looks onstage in front of the opera house. The river really looked alive with activity, but why is there a man wading in it. I will always love seeing Walt in his park, I will be doing the walk in Walt's footsteps tour for a 2nd time in a little over a week and I am so excited to have the chance to see his apartment.
                BGood! It's not just my motto its my name!

Comment

anyone notice they had signs with park maps? there was one to the left of the Castle entrance

the opening day photo of the Mark Twain, the white band at the first deck looked like it touched the waterline. I don't think I've ever seen it that low.

Originally posted by WaltDisney'sAlec View Post
                  A shirtless man wading in the Rivers of America in front of the Mark Twain doing... who knows what?
                  I noticed that as well. that was dated a couple of days after the opening. Walt going for a swim?
                  Last edited by gary94080; 11-14-2019, 09:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by stovk View Post
                    I couldn't take my eyes off of Kathleen Case and Adelle August.
                    Originally posted by TLand2055 View Post
                    Those photos might not be from opening day. The biggest offender I found was an image of the Skyway, which would open in 1957.
                    I noticed this too, but the picture is of Adelle August. Seeing as even Getty Images traces her appearance to July 17, 1955, it would seem this bit of Disney's lore is either wrong, or at best misleading.

Comment

Originally posted by TLand2055 View Post
                      The kids running toward Sleeping Beauty Castle is definitely not from the opening day broadcast. My guess is a publicity shot or rehearsal, possibly taken before July 17.

Click image for larger version  Name:	1024x1024.jpg Views:	1 Size:	126.4 KB ID:	8607391
                      Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 11-14-2019, 11:15 AM.
                      "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
                      it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
                      together with every variety of recreation and fun,
                      designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
                      - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
                      - Bob Chapek

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	1024x1024.jpg Views:	1 Size:	126.4 KB ID:	8607391
                        I ENJOY this picture .........
                        kids running toward
                        Sleeping Beauty Castle
                        Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Love the pictures. I always tell my friends if time travel was a thing this is where I would go and spend a day.
                          These are some of my favorite TRs I have posted

DL 55th BDAY trip report
                          My company had a special night at the park
                          WdW trip report with WWoHP
                          NYE 2011 trip report
                          Mice Chat 7th anniversary
                          Leap year 24 hour report
                          New DCA trip report
                          NYE 2012
                          HKDL trip report

Comment

Great pictures! I think the kids running image is from a pre opening advertisement. I seem to recall hearing a podcast where the son of one of the higher ups got to take part in it, or from local schools? I might be getting my podcasts mixed up though.

Comment

great pictures.
                              http://youtube.com/belushi87
                              http://www.jaymisworld.webs.com
                              http://www.10PinkElephants.tumblr.com

Comment

Love these! I noticed the "headless" characters and the swimmer too. Fun to see the publicity with the 3 actors - never seen those photos before. Also the same 4 kids turned up in a few - never seen those either. Thanks for the share!
                                Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X