Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disneyland Depression

Whenever I go to Disneyland, halfway through day 2, I start to get kind of lethargic and almost mopey. I attribute this partly to the constant adrenaline rush from the rides and then not being on a ride, letting my adrenaline tank.
    Does anyone else experience this? If so, do you have any pick-me-ups? Almost always, a Mickey pretzel fixes the problem, and usually a character appears at just the right time to life me out of my funk.
    I'll never grow up...
    Peter Pan

I would consider what you are eating while at Disneyland to factor in. The park food choices are pretty unhealthy and geared intentionally to give people a "sugar high" which needs constant replacement. It isn't by chance that the smell of popcorn, baked goods, candy and sugary drinks bombards you about every 10 yards.

When I go to the park I avoid the park food as much as possible. Think going on a long hike in the mountains for 10 hours and what kinds of snacks and beverages you would eat to replenish the calories you would be burning efficiently and in a more healthy manner..

Comment

I would have to agree with IndianWarCanoe . It might be dietary. I for one would get the "depression" at the end of the day when the Park was closing, knowing that it wouldn't be for another 6 months to a year before we made our pilgrimage back to Disneyland. Of course that was back in the early days. Now it's a little different for me.
      “Not the least hard thing to bear when they go from us, these quiet friends, is that they carry away with them
      so many years of our own lives.”

DL Trips: '58, '59, '61, '65, '66, '67, '68x2, '69x2, '70x2, '71x2, '73x2, '74x2, '75x2, '76x2, '77, '78,x2, '79x2, '80x2, '81, '82, '83, '88, '89x3, '90x2, '91, '93, '94, '95x2, '96, '97, '98x4, '99, '00, '01, '02, '03, '04, '05, '06, '07x2, '08, '09x2, '10, '11, '13
      WDW Trips: '81
      EPCOT Trips: '93
      Tokyo DL Trips: '86

Comment

There are lots of factors that could be at play here. Some psychological, some nutritional, and some related to physical exertion.

I'm not a doctor (nor I suspect will anyone else on here claim to be), but looking into those aspects may help the OP to narrow down what’s going on.

1. Are you trying to treat a mental health issue (Depression, anxiety, etc...) with Disney trips? The short term boost that comes from day one, could be trailing off on day two into something that isn’t masking the original issue anymore.

2. As others have said, paying attention to your food choices could be part. High calorie, quick burning carbs (Churros, sweets, etc...) that aren’t part of your normal intake could be wrecking havoc on your metabolism and putting you into some kind of imbalance.

3. My Disneyland trips usually are 10+ mile walking days, burning 1,500 calories and spending up to 14 hours on my feet. This is not my usual day outside of the park and by the middle of day 2, I’m tired and my feet are very sore. How that much exertion affects a person (especially taking nutritional intake into account as well) is something to look at.
        Last edited by Mike_M; 11-18-2019, 03:13 PM.
        Mike_M

Disneyland Trips
        Walt Disney World
        Disneyland Paris

1980, 1982, 1984, 1986, 1987, 1989
        1990, 1992, 1993

2000, 2001, 2006, 2007, 2009
        2010, 2011, 2014, 2016, 2016, 2017, 2/2019, 11/2019

Comment

Originally posted by IndianWarCanoe View Post
          I would consider what you are eating while at Disneyland to factor in. The park food choices are pretty unhealthy and geared intentionally to give people a "sugar high" which needs constant replacement. It isn't by chance that the smell of popcorn, baked goods, candy and sugary drinks bombards you about every 10 yards.

When I go to the park I avoid the park food as much as possible. Think going on a long hike in the mountains for 10 hours and what kinds of snacks and beverages you would eat to replenish the calories you would be burning efficiently and in a more healthy manner..
          I absolutely do that too. I always eat well, especially a good breakfast, and usually go outside the park and across the street for dinner.
          I'll never grow up...
          Peter Pan

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_M View Post
            There are lots of factors that could be at play here. Some psychological, some nutritional, and some related to physical exertion.

I'm not a doctor (nor I suspect will anyone else on here claim to be), but looking into those aspects may help the OP to narrow down what’s going on.

1. Are you trying to treat a mental health issue (Depression, anxiety, etc...) with Disney trips? The short term boost that comes from day one, could be trailing off on day two into something that isn’t masking the original issue anymore.

2. As others have said, paying attention to your food choices could be part. High calorie, quick burning carbs (Churros, sweets, etc...) that aren’t part of your normal intake could be wrecking havoc on your metabolism and putting you into some kind of imbalance.

3. My Disneyland trips usually are 10+ mile walking days, burning 1,500 calories and spending up to 14 hours on my feet. This is not my usual day and by the middle of day 2, I’m tired and my feet are very sore. How that much exertion affects a person (especially taking nutritional intake into account as well) is something to look at.
            Yeah I definitely see what your point is. I don't have (as I know of) any mental health issues. But yes I do pay attention to my food choices. I like what you said about the walking and making sure I have enough to boost energy. I'll try that on my next trip.
            I'll never grow up...
            Peter Pan

Comment

It can almost be anything......Stress can be factor......being around other guest
              waiting in lines.....it also can be the weather?
              May want just get a check up , from the Doctor
              would be the best ideal.
              imo
              Last edited by Eagleman; 11-17-2019, 02:41 PM.
              Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Originally posted by mouseketeer07 View Post
                Whenever I go to Disneyland, halfway through day 2, I start to get kind of lethargic and almost mopey. I attribute this partly to the constant adrenaline rush from the rides and then not being on a ride, letting my adrenaline tank.
                Does anyone else experience this?
                A multi day full-immersion Disneyland vacation can be a total body-and-brain workout. A physical and emotional rollercoaster that includes adrenaline in anticipation of arriving the first day, endorphins from the magic, more adrenaline from the rides, sugar rushes and crashes from the food, fatigue from the miles hiked, and jet lag-like symptoms from having your normal sleep patterns changed. If it will be a long time before you can return, there can also be a background of stress that the clock is ticking until you have to go home, and last-day sadness in anticipation of leaving.

Originally posted by mouseketeer07 View Post
                If so, do you have any pick-me-ups?
                The best fix is sleep: If you're staying at a hotel, take a nap. Otherwise, find the quietest, most picturesque nook that you can in the park and people-watch for an hour or more, especially after a meal.
                Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 11-17-2019, 02:09 PM.
                "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
                it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
                together with every variety of recreation and fun,
                designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
                - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
                - Bob Chapek

Comment

Geeee... At my age ......I need recharging
                  Battery,
                  and I
                  Treasure my NAPs
                  and at any place's , I need to stop and rest......and just
                  people-watch!
                  Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

LOL. They just put in some new lawns over by Tomorrowland that I heard were great for taking midday naps on.
                    Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream.
                    Mark Twain

Comment

Days at the park can be mentally and physically demanding. While say a pretzel and a coke may give you a short term blitz, those items will ultimately cause your blood sugar to crash on top of an already tired body so keeping an even on how much crap you consume is a key component to endurance.

In lieu of a Coke and churro to cure a mental fog, I have gone for the mangos and an OJ or water which gives me much more of a long term perk...either that and/or a black coffee or cold brew without all the sugars.

Now I will have a Coke and Churro at will but only as a pure indulgence, not for a mental "pick me up".

Comment

As many have mentioned food is usually the best way to combat this, I have noticed for myself and my family time in the park is kind of relative it will not feel like a lot of time has passed but then you realize it has been 6 hours since you have eaten anything and with all of the walking and adrenaline your body and brain is weakened so have a snack, use one of Disney's amazing fruit stands to make it more healthy. This always helps.
                        BGood! It's not just my motto its my name!

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post

A multi day full-immersion Disneyland vacation can be a total body-and-brain workout. A physical and emotional rollercoaster that includes adrenaline in anticipation of arriving the first day, endorphins from the magic, more adrenaline from the rides, sugar rushes and crashes from the food, fatigue from the miles hiked, and jet lag-like symptoms from having your normal sleep patterns changed. If it will be a long time before you can return, there can also be a background of stress that the clock is ticking until you have to go home, and last-day sadness in anticipation of leaving.

The best fix is sleep: If you're staying at a hotel, take a nap. Otherwise, find the quietest, most picturesque nook that you can in the park and people-watch for an hour or more, especially after a meal.
                          Our little tradition would be to stay at the Stovall's Inn of Tomorrow. Usually around 2:00 or 3:00 we would go back to the hotel to swim in the pool, rest up, have lunch (mom would make sandwiches) or maybe have an early dinner at one of the coffee shops near by, then head back into the park around 5:00 or 6:00. Then we were all rested up until the Park closed at 1:00. I'll never forget those memories.
                          “Not the least hard thing to bear when they go from us, these quiet friends, is that they carry away with them
                          so many years of our own lives.”

DL Trips: '58, '59, '61, '65, '66, '67, '68x2, '69x2, '70x2, '71x2, '73x2, '74x2, '75x2, '76x2, '77, '78,x2, '79x2, '80x2, '81, '82, '83, '88, '89x3, '90x2, '91, '93, '94, '95x2, '96, '97, '98x4, '99, '00, '01, '02, '03, '04, '05, '06, '07x2, '08, '09x2, '10, '11, '13
                          WDW Trips: '81
                          EPCOT Trips: '93
                          Tokyo DL Trips: '86

Comment

I agree what others are saying about food being a factor also if your trips are not frequent than there is going to be some anxiety upon arrival combined with excitement which spikes your adrenaline and by day two your anxiety has calmed as things are now in repeat mode and your adrenaline also comes down. This can lead to a physical and mental crash happening at once that could be causing your funk.

I know when I was a kid and we would only get to go to the park maybe once every other year the night before was harder to sleep then Xmas Eve and the evening when it was finally time to go was so depressing. I remember being so genuinely heart broken to leave. Now after having AP's for many years leaving does not come with that depression and I know I will be back and I like to leave lil on the table to my desire to return is still high. I tell my friends the best part about having an AP isn't that you get to go so many times for the cost as much as it is how much it removed the stress of each visit as anything can simply be left for the next trip and arriving late or leaving early no longer makes you feel like your wasting money.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X