Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tomorrowland Rocks Morph Into Tomorrowland Sunbathing/Most Pit/Homeless Shelter

Anyone at the park this weekend? I saw the open lawns formerly known as the Tomorrowland Rocks a few days ago - but this weekend was super busy like November weekends are and the grassy areas where the rocks used to be became the following -

Sunbathing grounds from late morning through early afternoon. Lots of folks taking off shoes and laying down and sleeping on the grass for an hour or two. Picnics and dining all over the place with lots food debris in the grass by early afternoon.

Before, during and after the parade the grassy areas became no-rules mess with people swarming everywhere. Mosh Pit status. GSO Leads were pulling their hair out trying to contain and control the area, but without any fences there was no way to prevent hundreds of people from doing whatever they wanted on the lawns.

Same thing during pyro - but in the dark. Grass was trashed.

According to GSO Leads I talked to there was/is a plan to put the usual small wrought iron fences up around the new Tomorrowland entry area lawns, but park management is on a kick to prove how they can "think outside the box!" to their bosses and their bosses are on a kick to prove how they can "think outside the box!" to their senior executives. And they saved some money on not paying Facilities Asset Management overtime to not install the fences that were planned. Chapek approves!

This weekend was a total mess for the Tomorrowland side of the Hub. The entrance to Tomorrowland looked like a cross between
    1.) a homeless shelter with people passed out on the ground with clothing and bags strewn around them and
    2.) the day after Coachella where the grass is trampled down and dying fast

Welcome to Tomorrowland and the future! Where homelessness and passed out humans on the ground are how we live now! Anyone else see this hot mess this weekend?
    Last edited by Westsider; 11-17-2019, 07:40 PM.

Wow....talk about a lack of respect.......

Comment

I thought the grass area was a bad idea for a few reasons. One, people would walk on the grass and kill it. Or two, if they do put up some kind of a fence, then people will have to walk around it and it effectively creates the same choke point the French fry rocks did. I don't know why they didn't just put pavers in.

Comment

Today (sadly) too many Disneyland guests are not as civilized as those in the past. Respect is the word that no longer applies.
        Attached Files

Comment

Lol Walt Disney learned they needed fences 60 plus years ago for these areas. Great management and show being put on!!!
          These are some of my favorite TRs I have posted

DL 55th BDAY trip report
          My company had a special night at the park
          WdW trip report with WWoHP
          NYE 2011 trip report
          Mice Chat 7th anniversary
          Leap year 24 hour report
          New DCA trip report
          NYE 2012
          HKDL trip report

Comment

AMAZING-today Disney Parks management
            when will they ever learn ?
            and
            lack of respect from the guest ?
            ))((

Think outside the box Experience ...how nice
            Last edited by Eagleman; 11-17-2019, 08:22 PM.
            Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

It was still empty Friday PM when I saw it. I didn't notice what happened during shows. I stepped on and off just because there's NO grass anywhere that one can walk on. I get your drift about a homeless encampment, but a nice break on a grassy lawn sounds a lot better than just sitting at a table with your head in your hands after a long disney day. They should put them all over--just budget custodial extra time for after the slobs.
              Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream.
              Mark Twain

Comment

Hey, I have an idea. Why doesn't Disney try an entrance design like this?

Comment

Originally posted by c. Andrew nelson View Post
                  hey, i have an idea. Why doesn't disney try an entrance design like this?
                  Bingo.........
                  Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Disneyland is only 15 miles to the beaches. I’m not surprised at all about this. In fact I think it’s rather nice if only guests would keep it clean which will never happen.

ETA - as for trampling in the grass and killing it, this is easily solved by using artificial turf. As long as guests keep it clean!
                    Last edited by DisneyIPresume; 11-17-2019, 09:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
                      Disneyland is only 15 miles to the beaches. I’m not surprised at all about this. In fact I think it’s rather nice if only guests would keep it clean which will never happen.

ETA - as for trampling in the grass and killing it, this is easily solved by using artificial turf. As long as guests keep it clean!
                      This Grass thing that Disney did ....sound like MAGIC KINGDOM at WDW around there HUB.
                      and they use
                      artificial turf.
                      Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Originally posted by C. Andrew Nelson View Post
                        Hey, I have an idea. Why doesn't Disney try an entrance design like this?
                        No chance -- they're fresh outta Hench.

"Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
                        it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
                        together with every variety of recreation and fun,
                        designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
                        - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
                        - Bob Chapek

Comment

As soon as the construction walls came down this outcome was inevitable, what terrible decision making.

Comment

Not what I was expecting, and I feel like the design missed the mark in keeping with project stardust. Not to armchair imagineer, but I feel like there could have been a better way to use that prime real estate.

Dont panic tho, Chapek just announced the grass and trees are just place holders until the merch displays are installed, lol

Comment

I'm at least thankful they only put grass there. Imagine how it would look if there were flowers or trees there...
                              But why not wait a couple of days to put fencing, more plants, and decoration for the Orbitor building? It would be disappointing if this was the final result.

Comment

Does anyone have a good wide angle pic of the 'new' area?

I think it was inevitable that people used the grass for a picnic/get off your feet area. Quite a bit of seating/benches have been removed from around the park to encourage more people to go into the shops and/or eat at places with (already limited) seating. And as far as using it during the fireworks, I hardly think that people wouldn't 'fill up every available space' when that's what they're encouraged to do.

Westsider isn't usually so 'pointedly negative'. I think he/she is having a bad day.
                                "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

Comment

Put up a fence... bring back the agrifuture theme to these patches. I always thought it was so cool that every plant in tomorrowland was edible in some way and loved seeing the seasonal artichokes blooming.

Comment

I was there last week Sun-Thurs and it was busy. Never once saw anyone on the lawn, not even during the fireworks. I quite like it, the walkways feel much larger, Tomorrowland feels more open, and I feel less funneled into the land.

Comment

Why do people need to sleep in Disneyland? Isn't that something you do at home or in your hotel room?

Comment

Originally posted by Natalie Price View Post
                                        Today (sadly) too many Disneyland guests are not as civilized as those in the past. Respect is the word that no longer applies.
                                        You do realize that Walt had fences installed after he observed people going across the unfenced grass areas right? The obvious miss isn't about the guests it is the short shortsightedness of the people in charge of the project not finishing it and allow people to free roam wherever they want.
                                        These are some of my favorite TRs I have posted

DL 55th BDAY trip report
                                        My company had a special night at the park
                                        WdW trip report with WWoHP
                                        NYE 2011 trip report
                                        Mice Chat 7th anniversary
                                        Leap year 24 hour report
                                        New DCA trip report
                                        NYE 2012
                                        HKDL trip report

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X