Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is It Me Or Has Disneyland Cut Way Back On Holiday Decor?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] Is It Me Or Has Disneyland Cut Way Back On Holiday Decor?

Hey happy mice chatters! I’ve been at the DLR - specifically visiting just DLP for two weekends in a row and can’t help but notice that to me they’ve really scaled back the holiday decor and lighting.

First off - how many agree with me that the Main Street Christmas tree decor/lighting is.... hideous? Seriously. Where is the Magic?

From the tram ride to the gate not one strand of Christmas lighting. No sets along the tram path to the main gate. Nothing.

A vast majority of trees throughout the whole park have no holiday lighting. Nothing. The trees surrounding the castle - dark. No garland across Main Street.

Tomorrow land - I don’t even know if it worth calling a land at this point - nothing.

The entire trail from BTMRR to Fantasyland - dark NO decorations. Of course G E saves them money bc no celebrating there!

We rode on ISW and frankly the attraction is... filthy. Nice Chat - why not call them out on this? We looked at lighting props for example that line the water way and nearly all of the stands were dusty and so poorly executed. Ceiling tiles inside the attraction you could see are damaged or were intentionally broken to accommodate lighting or wiring access - wow o wow.

Even the stores are mildly plussed up.

What a downgrade. Since the holidays is their premiere time - things are really nose diving creatively.

Mice chatters - what say you all?

Haven't noticed a difference. If this is the case, though, this is a TDA problem. TDO has WDW dressed to the nines between all of the improvements at MK and additions to AK.

Comment

I don’t recall any Christmas decorations along the tram route, at least not in the last 10 years. They used to have Halloween show pieces, but those haven’t been up for at least 2 years.
      Last edited by Ttgal4; 11-18-2019, 04:53 PM.

Comment

This was called out in the weekly update. So sad how much they have cut corners on a special time of year. Saving pennies on the dollar to deliver a "holiday" experience. Even in SWGE they had fans gather for a Star Wars holiday that Disney didn't even acknowledge.
        These are some of my favorite TRs I have posted

DL 55th BDAY trip report
        My company had a special night at the park
        WdW trip report with WWoHP
        NYE 2011 trip report
        Mice Chat 7th anniversary
        Leap year 24 hour report
        New DCA trip report
        NYE 2012
        HKDL trip report

Comment

We were there a week ago and we did notice it seems liked the Holiday decor wasn't;t done being put up just to find out that...nope that is all there is going to be. Disney is really cutting costs to the point where guests are definitely noticing. It's like they went full guns blazing for the 60th and now they are cutting and milking, cutting and milking for every last drop as long as they feel they can get away with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Disneyidol View Post
            Hey happy mice chatters! I’ve been at the DLR - specifically visiting just DLP for two weekends in a row and can’t help but notice that to me they’ve really scaled back the holiday decor and lighting....
            It's not just you. From today's MiceChat Disneyland Update:

"Although the holiday season is when Disneyland is at its peak magical state, that doesn’t mean there aren’t some problems we’ve noticed. Now that we’ve had some time to soak in sparkle and magic of the holidays, there are some glaring cutbacks around the parks....

...We’re noticing that there are fewer decorations in the park compared to previous years. While Main Street still has its gigantic tree decked out in vintage-style ornaments and holiday decor in the shops, we can’t help but notice that other lands are lacking.

n Frontierland, we have yet to see the decorations themed to the area. Last year there were wreaths with cowboy boots and spurs in the land. This year it’s just generic greenery.

In Adventureland, the only decoration is the Christmas tree made from pieces of ships, coconuts, and fish bones left over from the dearly departed Jingle Cruise. Disney World had their holiday Jingle Cruise overlay return, but out here in California, we just get a tree to remind us of what we’ve lost.

New Orleans Square and ToonTown remain the most decorated parts of the park, but most of the rest of the park has no Christmas decor or very little...."

Cheaptastic Chapek strikes again.
            "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
            it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
            together with every variety of recreation and fun,
            designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
            - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
            - Bob Chapek

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post

It's not just you. From today's MiceChat Disneyland Update:

"Although the holiday season is when Disneyland is at its peak magical state, that doesn’t mean there aren’t some problems we’ve noticed. Now that we’ve had some time to soak in sparkle and magic of the holidays, there are some glaring cutbacks around the parks....

...We’re noticing that there are fewer decorations in the park compared to previous years. While Main Street still has its gigantic tree decked out in vintage-style ornaments and holiday decor in the shops, we can’t help but notice that other lands are lacking.

n Frontierland, we have yet to see the decorations themed to the area. Last year there were wreaths with cowboy boots and spurs in the land. This year it’s just generic greenery.

In Adventureland, the only decoration is the Christmas tree made from pieces of ships, coconuts, and fish bones left over from the dearly departed Jingle Cruise. Disney World had their holiday Jingle Cruise overlay return, but out here in California, we just get a tree to remind us of what we’ve lost.

New Orleans Square and ToonTown remain the most decorated parts of the park, but most of the rest of the park has no Christmas decor or very little...."

Cheaptastic Chapek strikes again.
              Haha seriously I didn’t get a chance to read the update and boom what was top of mind to me really is true. Ugh. It’s actually depressing. If there was one sure fire place left in our culture that I could feel submerged in the holidays it was Disneyland.

It used to be lights everywhere nearly in every tree and of course the lovely and family oriented ranch area that TBH could have been left alone - maybe removed the BBQ restaurant but the house and animal stables could have stayed. The amount of “nothingness” has grown so much. As I said - the limg stretch from BTMRR to Fantasyland. Nothing. The super empty stretch from Critter Country to Batuu - a mile of dead space. Seriously. One could easily say the Star Wars thematically is Chester for DLP operations. No decor all year long.... No decor or seasonal - no extra costs. Sad. .

Comment

I also noticed the lack of decorations in the park itself (and in DCA as well), but I have to disagree about IASWH. I thought they did it up even better than before.
                "I wish they all could be California Bears!"

Comment

The garland is up on Main Street as of today.. I believe they wait a couple days after Christmas parade filming is over until they put it up..

Comment

This is a bummer to hear. Didn't they always have cute holiday murals up along the tram route to the park? And so many lights on the trees!

We're making our home holidays simpler -- being aware of need to conserve energy and all -- but a place that entertains so many people ought to do it right. That's efficient use of energy! I'm sad to read this thread and wonder if it's worth the money to go.

Comment

Originally posted by Friendlypixie50 View Post
                      The garland is up on Main Street as of today.. I believe they wait a couple days after Christmas parade filming is over until they put it up..
                      Good to hear but where’s the rest of the stuff ?? I think it’s fair to say that a larger majority of the park (DLP) has little or no decorations at all.

Comment

I know Tomorrowland has never had decorations as far as I remember and Adventure land has hardly ever had any either.. besides the two years they did Jingle Cruise.. I do miss Reindeer Roundup so much.. it was so whimsical and charming.. as well as the lighted trees around the castle.. sigh

Comment

They need to check out the elaborate Jungle Bells decorations at the San Diego Zoo, for some inspiration.

Comment

I fear......as for
                            Cheaptastic Chapek
                            and many of cutbacks have taken place.......in Disney Parks

Guest going see less
                            Holiday Decor......Not more

IMO
                            This Why
                            I rather go
                            Knott's Berry Farm
                            to get into the Christmas Sprit......
                            Last edited by Eagleman; 11-18-2019, 05:45 PM.
                            Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Will somebody post pics of the comparison of this year to previous years. It's a bit hard to make comparisons, when there are no pics to show the difference.

Comment

Adventureland is not supposed to have heavy Christmas decorations, it won't fit and will be out of place. Especially near Indiana Jones Adventure area and even Tiki Room.

Tomorrowland having Christmas decor won't fit either.

Walt Disney's Original Magic Kingdom!
                                Save
                                Sav

Comment

I don't think any lands beyond Frontierland/NOS and Main Street have ever had Christmas decorations. As for rides, I haven't been on it's a small world this season. With that said, I visited a little over a week ago and then again yesterday. Over the course of that week, Disney did add the garland to Main Street (though it was not illuminated at night, yet). They set up more lights along the small world promenade and I saw more garland go up in Frontierland.

Clearly Disney wasn't in its final form come Nov. 8, but that's fine. Given the budget cuts the overnight crews have faced, I'm sure they're doing their best with what they have.

As for Jingle Cruise, people on Micechat (myself included) were fairly vocal about how tacky and cheap the overlay looked. The ended the overlay the following year because people didn't like it (unlike Haunted Mansion Holiday, which consistently draws bigger crowds than the regular form). Frankly, i don't want that overlay back.

I would like to see modest decorations in Fantasyland, but as noted before, Disney isn't likely to add more when the crowds keep showing up. Micechat reported crowds were low on Friday, but this weekend they were back up again. WDW is always plussing, but they've had the past two Disneyland Resort Presidents establish a favorable legacy while we're left with the bottom of the barrel. I wouldn't be surprised if we see holiday investment cut in the future even more.

Comment

TDA Management....with this new president
                                    Rebecca Campbel
                                    This resort have been still in cutback mood ..........
                                    Bob
                                    is saving money were he can Chapek
                                    Like wise I agreed with other posters......
                                    Guest going see less ,not more
                                    as decorations goes.....
                                    Guest will still come during the season......
                                    Paying More for Less !

Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Originally posted by Friendlypixie50 View Post
                                      A lot of people forget that the Garland has always been late because of the Annual Christmas Taping.

One place that has (oddly) not mentioned. is the Storybookland Canal Boats. Normally, the miniature houses are detailed with tiny garland. Did they bring those back?

Comment

Originally posted by LangenFox View Post
                                        Adventureland is not supposed to have heavy Christmas decorations, it won't fit and will be out of place. Especially near Indiana Jones Adventure area and even Tiki Room.

Tomorrowland having Christmas decor won't fit either.
                                        I cant see why any of those lands couldn't have decorations. Adventureland might need a little creativity but I'm sure they can bring over a few things they are doing at Animal Kingdom for Christmas. WDW is doing Christmas in Tomorrowland as well, which I think a Space Age looking Christmas would be easy to attempt.

I personally would love if Fantasyland got the full Christmas treatment. As the most magical land in the park, it just seems foolish for the Fantasyland Courtyard to skip the most magical time of the year.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X