Leave a comment:

• stovk
    replied
    On a related note, Ask a Font Creator: The Typography of Disneyland

Leave a comment:

• mouseketeer07
    replied
    Originally posted by sorrysorrytown View Post

Fellow typeface nerd here! I think you are very likely correct. I've posted this in the HM thread before, but wondering if it may have been pulled from this Charles Dickens cover from 1896. No idea how prolific this specific cover was, but sure doesn't seem like a large jump from "The Haunted Man" to "The Haunted Mansion" does it?

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_43247.jpg
Views:	751
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	8607682
    That’s INCREDIBLE. Amazing find, thank you for posting it!

Leave a comment:

• Mark Twain
    replied
    Very interesting thread...thank you all.

Leave a comment:

• Eagleman
    replied
    Originally posted by stovk View Post
    One of my go to sites to research Type Foundries is http://type-foundries-archive.com/
    Amazing ..........
    FONTs class 101
    Thanks- I going save the link..........

Leave a comment:

• stovk
    replied
    One of my go to sites to research Type Foundries is http://type-foundries-archive.com/

Leave a comment:

• Pips
    replied

Fellow typeface nerd here! I think you are very likely correct. I've posted this in the HM thread before, but wondering if it may have been pulled from this Charles Dickens cover from 1896. No idea how prolific this specific cover was, but sure doesn't seem like a large jump from "The Haunted Man" to "The Haunted Mansion" does it?

This was so much fun to see -- my favorite author linked with my favorite attraction! Genius, sorrysorrytown!

Leave a comment:

• Eagleman
    replied
    A Christmas Carol
    is my
    Dickens top my list story
    this time of the year
    for it has several aspects of Christmas,
    including family gatherings, seasonal food and drink,
    dancing, games and a festive generosity of spirit.

Leave a comment:

• Mr Wiggins
    replied

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_43247.jpg Views:	14 Size:	50.2 KB ID:	8607682
    WHOA! I've never seen that cover before (I'm a longtime Dickens fan, although not a collector). What a great find!!

Leave a comment:

• Eagleman
    replied

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_43247.jpg Views:	14 Size:	50.2 KB ID:	8607682
    and I'M no expert on the subject ...but sure does look the same.
    Last edited by Eagleman; 11-19-2019, 09:46 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Eagleman
    replied
    LOL...... I feel that I'm in FONTs class 101
    I learning
    Last edited by Eagleman; 11-19-2019, 09:49 PM.

Leave a comment:

• sorrysorrytown
    replied
    Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    If that newspaper ad is truly from 1922, it would indicate that the HM font was inspired by (or copied from) a predecessor -- my hunch would be one of the fonts in the Rubens family (which goes back to the 1880s, and would have been a period-appropriate choice for the HM).

Leave a comment:

• Eagleman
    replied

Nope, just a longtime DL history buff and collector.
    YES...I know that !
    But....You do know lot more than Disney...........
    ( I know you like to read......you into history.........and you Enjoy ''JAZZ"""" )

Leave a comment:

• Mr Wiggins
    replied
    Originally posted by Eagleman View Post
    INTRESTING.........
    Sound like Mr. Wiggins was or still is a School Teacher?
    Nope, just a longtime DL history buff and collector.

Leave a comment:

• Eagleman
    replied
    Geeee...I learning something new "here"
    I know what
    font is .....but do not know history behind
    font s

INTRESTING.........
    Sound like Mr. Wiggins was or still is a School Teacher?

Leave a comment:

• Mr Wiggins
    replied
    Great research -- Excelsis looks like it! (And as a longtime collector of Disneyland ephemera, I'm glad to see another DL font nerd on the forum!!) What I wouldn't give to research the WED archives from the 60s on the HM's development, and see if any of the font scrap files were saved.

Leave a comment:

• mouseketeer07
    replied
    If that newspaper ad is truly from 1922, it would indicate that the HM font was inspired by (or copied from) a predecessor -- my hunch would be one of the fonts in the Rubens family (which goes back to the 1880s, and would have been a period-appropriate choice for the HM).
    Yes it does! I've done more research since. It mimics the style Goodfellow, and more closely Excelsis. These fonts are derived from the 1880s and 1890s as well. I'm going to try and check with the newspaper to see if they have any records on typefaces used in original printing.

Leave a comment:

• Mr Wiggins
    replied

Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 11-18-2019, 07:47 PM.

Leave a comment:

• mouseketeer07
    started a topic Disney-affiliated font inquiry

Disney-affiliated font inquiry

I was doing research for the historical society in my town when I came across this ad in the newspaper archives.
    I think we can all agree that this looks identical to, or at least extremely similar to, the Haunted Mansion font.
    The HM font is called 'Ravenscroft' after Thurl Ravenscroft, of course, but this newspaper article is from 1922.
    I can't find anything about what fond this might be. I can't find anything on what the HM was derived from. Can any Disney and font nerds out there help me?
    Thanks so much in advance!
    Also, I thought this was SO cool that this font is so old.

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
Working...
X