Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Millennium Falcon Smugglers Run and Disney's Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge Land Win Awards

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• News Millennium Falcon Smugglers Run and Disney's Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge Land Win Awards

So the International Association of Amusement Parks and Attractions (IAAPA) Expo was this last weekend and yesterday at the Orange County Convention Center. They give out awards and here's some of the winners...("THEA" Awards "Themed Entertainment Association")
    • Millennium Falcon Smugglers Run at Disney's Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge land in Disney's Hollywood Studios theme park in Orlando: Outstanding Achievement Award in the attractions category
    • Disney's Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Outstanding Achievement Award in the new park land category
    • Hagrid's Magical Creatures Motorbike Adventure at Universal's Islands of Adventure theme park: Outstanding Achievement Award in the attractions category

Here's more from the association on why Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge and its Millennium Falcon ride were honored:
    This multifaceted [Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge] experience combines epic and detailed placemaking, themed retail and dining, immersive theatrical techniques and interactive attractions into an audacious, genre-redefining, 14-acre adventure that lets park guests live their own Star Wars story in ways never before possible within the boundaries of a conventional theme park. The intricate layout, sophisticated use of scale, extension of character details and high quality of execution combine to make this an outstanding example of story-driven, experiential design blurring the line between guest and experience, making every detail “in-world” authentic.
    [The Millennium Falcon: Smugglers Run] experience combines numerous bleeding-edge technologies seamlessly and invisibly, from the innovative “multi-carousel” loading system that provides an individualized experience while supporting throughput of 1,800 guests per hour; to interactive controls and interfaces that stimulate repeat ridership; to spatial audio and in-cabin lighting effects; to the bespoke, ultra-high-resolution game engine. All work together to complete the illusion of piloting one of the most famous spaceships in all of movie history. The vehicle is screen-accurate in every detail inside and out, and the view from the cockpit presents cinema-quality, real-time visuals.

The Themed Entertainment Association is a Burbank, California-based nonprofit association that represents and provides analysis of the theme park, attractions and other themed entertainment industries. Each year the association works with Aecom, a Los Angeles-based multi-service engineering firm, to release the Theme Index report that shares an in-depth look at attendance and trends throughout the theme park industry.

Thoughts?

Originally posted by Natalie Price View Post
    Let the negative comments begin...
    Thank you for starting off first.
    “Not the least hard thing to bear when they go from us, these quiet friends, is that they carry away with them
    so many years of our own lives.”

DL Trips: '58, '59, '61, '65, '66, '67, '68x2, '69x2, '70x2, '71x2, '73x2, '74x2, '75x2, '76x2, '77, '78,x2, '79x2, '80x2, '81, '82, '83, '88, '89x3, '90x2, '91, '93, '94, '95x2, '96, '97, '98x4, '99, '00, '01, '02, '03, '04, '05, '06, '07x2, '08, '09x2, '10, '11, '13
    WDW Trips: '81
    EPCOT Trips: '93
    Tokyo DL Trips: '86

Comment

Originally posted by Disneyidol View Post
      So the International Association of Amusement Parks and Attractions (IAAPA) Expo...
      The link is bad, at least for me.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Capture.PNG Views:	0 Size:	44.9 KB ID:	8607769
      We need another Walt...and fast!

"It's always more difficult to recover than it is to do the right thing at the beginning" - Tony Baxter,
      The Imagineering Story, Episode 4 "Hit or Miss"

Comment

Originally posted by Disneyidol View Post
        Thoughts?
        Since Disney management insists that Star Wars Land is a ginormous hit, it's puzzling why their slashing of staff and live entertainment continues across the DLR. From disappearing holiday decorations to vanishing parking lot attendants, Disney's cheapouts continue to shortchange its customers. Winning a top award for an under-performing land is no doubt a nice diversion for a management team that's desperate for good news, but it hardly helps consumers who are being charged more and offered less.
        "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
        it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
        together with every variety of recreation and fun,
        designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
        - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
        - Bob Chapek

Comment

Congrats! Well-deserved. Another great piece of news, the theme music for SW:GE has also just been nominated for a Grammy: https://blogmickey.com/2019/11/star-...-for-a-grammy/

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post

Since Disney management insists that Star Wars Land is a ginormous hit, it's puzzling why their slashing of staff and live entertainment continues across the DLR. From disappearing holiday decorations to vanishing parking lot attendants, Disney's cheapouts continue to shortchange its customers. Winning a top award for an under-performing land is no doubt a nice diversion for a management team that's desperate for good news, but it hardly helps consumers who are being charged more and offered less.
            Exactly. While I personally haven’t been to Orlando and Hagrids Magical creatures attraction - I have watched numerous POV videos and I don’t think there’s even a doubt that that attraction is superior to Smugglers Run. And these bozos calling SR filled with “numerous bleeding-edge technologies” - hahahawhich exactly are those? Hagrids has a super themed meticulous queue that’s fully operational and so interesting and the SR queue is d e a d with nothing but some sounds and effects in the “main room” that looks like a tacky replica of the main room of Space Mountain. Sorry but this bites.

Comment

Originally posted by denyuntilcaught View Post
              Congrats! Well-deserved. Another great piece of news, the theme music for SW:GE has also just been nominated for a Grammy: https://blogmickey.com/2019/11/star-...-for-a-grammy/
              Haha that’s ironic. Guests so far can’t even really experience it... it’s too expensive to utilize it throughout the bland land. Bland.

Comment

I wondering if the Golden Raspberries will add a category for theme park attractions.

Comment

I seen it, and i seen it work, but no one is saying what or how the fast pass is working at the Millennium Falcon ride. I see people scan and its a totally different line. But no employee is saying nothing. All i get is there is no fast pass. Can anyone clarify that

Comment

I am curious to why the Orlando version won and not the original Anaheim version?
                    Last edited by Starcade; 11-25-2019, 12:32 PM.

Comment

*RUMOR ALERT*

I'm curious on what they're going to do with the Millennium Falcon in SWGE after the release of "Rise of Skywalker"? According to rumors,

"Sheev cackles and shoots out Force Lightening to disable the entire Resistance Fleet. The Millennium Falcon gets blown up. Leia, Lando, Chewie, 3PO, and R2 die. This is supposed to be the 'saddest' part of the movie"

This single scene caused people to walkout of the test screening.

And somehow Mary...um, er, Rey is supposedly going to beat Sheev in battle.

This just gets better and better.
                      Last edited by stovk; 11-21-2019, 02:06 PM.
                      “Not the least hard thing to bear when they go from us, these quiet friends, is that they carry away with them

DL Trips: '58, '59, '61, '65, '66, '67, '68x2, '69x2, '70x2, '71x2, '73x2, '74x2, '75x2, '76x2, '77, '78,x2, '79x2, '80x2, '81, '82, '83, '88, '89x3, '90x2, '91, '93, '94, '95x2, '96, '97, '98x4, '99, '00, '01, '02, '03, '04, '05, '06, '07x2, '08, '09x2, '10, '11, '13

Comment

Originally posted by stovk View Post
                        *RUMOR ALERT*

I'm curious on what they're going to do with the Millennium Falcon in SWGE after the release of "Rise of Skywalker"? According to rumors,

""

This single scene caused people to walkout of the test screening.

This just gets better and better.
                        Wow didn't expect a spoiler for the movie to be here really dude? If they really go out that way I would be super disappointed.
                        Last edited by biggsworth; 11-21-2019, 02:03 PM.
                        These are some of my favorite TRs I have posted

DL 55th BDAY trip report
                        My company had a special night at the park
                        WdW trip report with WWoHP
                        NYE 2011 trip report
                        Mice Chat 7th anniversary
                        Leap year 24 hour report
                        New DCA trip report
                        NYE 2012
                        HKDL trip report

Comment

*RUMOR ALERT*

Isn't the land set before that movie?

Comment

Originally posted by biggsworth View Post

Wow didn't expect a spoiler for the movie to be here really dude? If they really go out that way I would be super disappointed.
                            It's highly doubtful it will be in the story. I just find the multitude of "rumors" funny. There is even a rumor that Darth never died and helps Rey. I just figured this rumor would be funny considering the MF is in SWGE.

Comment

It's highly doubtful it will be in the story. I just find the multitude of "rumors" funny. There is even a rumor that Darth never died and helps Rey. I just figured this rumor would be funny considering the MF is in SWGE.
                              It would be a horrible way to end that story. It would be funny though to rip out the Falcon to stay as a living place lol

DL 55th BDAY trip report
                              NYE 2011 trip report
                              Leap year 24 hour report
                              New DCA trip report
                              NYE 2012
                              HKDL trip report

Comment

It would be a horrible way to end that story. It would be funny though to rip out the Falcon to stay as a living place lol
                                Maybe they would put a Lawn in its place?
                                We need another Walt...and fast!

"It's always more difficult to recover than it is to do the right thing at the beginning" - Tony Baxter,
                                The Imagineering Story, Episode 4 "Hit or Miss"

Comment

Originally posted by Laugh-O-Grams View Post

LOL! now that is the kind of forward thinking that gets you promoted around here!

DL 55th BDAY trip report
                                  NYE 2011 trip report
                                  Leap year 24 hour report
                                  New DCA trip report
                                  NYE 2012
                                  HKDL trip report

Comment

Originally posted by Laugh-O-Grams View Post

and NO TREES !
                                    Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Thanks for starting it off! Have you been to the land yet what are your thoughts? I for one think it looks awesome even if they fell short of delivering what they told us they would. I do enjoy being there although they could use some characters walking around to really sell off the idea we're on a different planet.
                                      I was part of the opening team and I work there five days a week.

Comment

Let’s talk about IAPPA and TEA for a moment .... new theme parks, lands, rides don’t come out each year like movies do. If you got a handful of new ride experiences that debuted this year ... there’s not a whole lot competing to get top honors. Imagine only three films came out in 1986 and Howard the Duck was one of them. Good chance George Lucas would have won some award with very little competition! 😆
                                        MY SIGNATURE:
                                        Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X