Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More DVC Units Proposed at Disneyland!

https://www.ocregister.com/2019/11/2...e-share-tower/

FINALLY.

Hopefully the point value will be more reasonable than the Grand Californian.

Originally posted by Theme_Park_Insider View Post
    https://www.ocregister.com/2019/11/2...e-share-tower/

FINALLY.

Hopefully the point value will be more reasonable than the Grand Californian.
    It been my understanding.......Disney has done well , with there DVC
    time-share
    and they been wanting more at the Disneyland resort for years now.
    So it not surprising
    Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

DVC is a huge moneymaker for Disney so I get why they'd expand it. Rumors about a fourth DLH tower have floated around for years so this makes sense.

Comment

Definitely not for me but I know lots of people like it.
        These are some of my favorite TRs I have posted

DL 55th BDAY trip report
        My company had a special night at the park
        WdW trip report with WWoHP
        NYE 2011 trip report
        Mice Chat 7th anniversary
        Leap year 24 hour report
        New DCA trip report
        NYE 2012
        HKDL trip report

Comment

Honestly, I was hoping for another moderate or value Hotel for the resort.

This is going to interesting, as the City of Anaheim could reject the proposal or tact on an additional tax, in retaliation from the 4th hotel saga. The CoA had pushed for the 4th hotel, which was supposed to be a deluxe hotel, which Disney later dropped over political squabbling with CoA.

Comment

Originally posted by Spongeocto4 View Post
            Honestly, I was hoping for another moderate or value Hotel for the resort.

This is going to interesting, as the City of Anaheim could reject the proposal or tact on an additional tax, in retaliation from the 4th hotel saga. The CoA had pushed for the 4th hotel, which was supposed to be a deluxe hotel, which Disney later dropped over political squabbling with CoA.
            True. Although "political squabbling with CoA" is another way of saying that the City of Anaheim, for once, had the cojones to stand up and say No to the 1,000-pound gorilla-in-the-mouse-costume.
            "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
            it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
            together with every variety of recreation and fun,
            designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
            - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
            - Bob Chapek

Comment

I do not understand the appeal of Disney Vacation Clubs. I went to their website to get some quick numbers for two people and this was the result.

$18,800 for 100 Vacation Points
              $556 for Closing Costs
              $792 for Maintenance Costs per year
              -------------
              $20,148 for a year
              This would be a typical stay at a Disney Resort for 4 days.

I’m confused on why this is such a great deal. I have stayed in Hawaii, flying first class, rented a vehicle and had all my meals for 14 days for two of us for a lot less than half that amount of money. Why exactly is a Disney Vacation Club such a great deal? For this kind of money I could stay at an offsite hotel and gone to Disneyland multiple days for multiple times per year and paid for the transportation. I have never understood why a time share would be so great.

Comment

Originally posted by hhsdc34 View Post
                I do not understand the appeal of Disney Vacation Clubs. I went to their website to get some quick numbers for two people and this was the result.

$556 for Closing Costs
                -------------
                $20,148 for a year

I’m confused on why this is such a great deal. I have stayed in Hawaii, flying first class, rented a vehicle and had all my meals for 14 days for two of us for a lot less than half that amount of money. Why exactly is a Disney Vacation Club such a great deal? For this kind of money I could stay at an offsite hotel and gone to Disneyland multiple days for multiple times per year and paid for the transportation. I have never understood why a time share would be so great.
                I agree, I have looked into it several times over the years and every time I compare it to a normal out of pocket expense sans DVC for what would be the same vacation I always find it much cheaper just to do the same trip sans DVC. Maybe we are missing something but it seems DLC like most timeshares it's rarely going to save you money in the end. For $20K You could stay at WDW for a week then stay at DLC for a Week with transportation to each from anywhere in the continental USA and this is for a family of 4. We stay every year on site at DLR for 3 days with a family of four and if you included our AP's in the cost We are still spending under $5K a year now this does not count airfare as we live in SoCal but it's also including all of us having Signature AP's with Max Pass. I know you can Geta family of 4 from one side of the country to the other for around $5K round trip having just having done it in June. Still always shocked at DLC quoted membership pricing.

Comment

Buying DVC is not for me but renting the points can be a good deal sometimes.

Comment

Originally posted by tarheelalum View Post
                    Buying DVC is not for me but renting the points can be a good deal sometimes.
                    Well
                    is not for me
                    I do not like same type vacations......so
                    is not for me nether
                    I just know, Disney have done well in this market , in what I have read....
                    Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

From another blog : It’s been said in poker that if you can’t spot the patsy, it’s you. This applies to purchase a timeshare. The ones benefiting from the transaction are the salesperson and the owners of the resort. You, unfortunately, are stuck with a small slice of a unit that has little or no resale value.

Here are the issues with owning a timeshare:
                      • There is a huge resale market. Often you can pick up units for less than half of what was originally paid.
                      • Like a car, a timeshare depreciates once you “drive it off the lot” (take ownership).
                      • It’s rare that a timeshare increases in value. In fact, expect it to lose value, as the total cost of your ownership was marked up to cover sales presentations, incentives and giveaways.
                      • Timeshares are usually sold to you when you’re on vacation and your defenses are down.
                      • Most have high yearly maintenance fees. In my parents’ case, their fees are increasing every year, faster than the rate of inflation. For the amount that you pay in maintenance fees alone (forget about the initial “investment”), you could stay at a decent-quality hotel for a week.

Comment

$556 for Closing Costs
                        -------------
                        $20,148 for a year

Wow, that's some serious $$$!!!

I am likely to retire (or at least semi-retire) in about 2 years and have thought about DVC but at that price I can get way more value just about anywhere else. The last thing I need is to invest a ton of $$$ only to find a horribly crowded park when I visit........

Guess I'll keep looking.

Comment

Originally posted by micromind View Post

Wow, that's some serious $$$!!!

I am likely to retire (or at least semi-retire) in about 2 years and have thought about DVC but at that price I can get way more value just about anywhere else. The last thing I need is to invest a ton of $$$ only to find a horribly crowded park when I visit........

Guess I'll keep looking.
                          I can certainly see the appeal of DVC in that you are a member of the "family." And being able to easily choose a unit at the resort you like has been from people I know who own it never a problem; there are a couple of other perks too. HOWEVER, and forgive me as I cannot find the source anywhere now, but based on the numbers above it is believable, you need to go into it knowing that in order to "make money" on the transaction you will need to use it a lot for a long time. The numbers I saw crunched somewhere suggested that in order to break even on most DVC transactions directly from Disney you need to use it almost every year for 30+ years as opposed to using rack rates.

Disney is also cutting into the re-sale market now as they have started to remove perks from people who do not purchase directly from them.

All that being said I can say two things about it.

1) Renting points can be fantastic as a cheaper alternative to purchasing direct, especially for expensive resorts such as Aulani, Animal Kingdom, and Contemporary

2) Man after staying a suite a few times on a Disney vacation going back to a hotel room last summer was HARD. I know you can purchase suites direct, but ALWAYS having that option at every resort you stay is pretty cool. It definitely changes the way we vacation, late nights around a table playing board games with snacks in the oven, off days with a late breakfast, much more relaxing.

Comment

$556 for Closing Costs
                            -------------
                            $20,148 for a year

The contract length is typically 40-50 years. For instance, Copper Creek Villas and Cabins in Fort Wilderness contracts expire in 2068 - so, just for illustration, if we assume the point-prices for Copper Creek are what you quoted above, and paying ~$6K a year for Disney vacations, you potentially end up making up your purchase cost in around 4-5 years, minus annual maintenance costs. You can continue to use your points at any Vacation Club resort for the remainder of the contract.

It comes down to whether or not it's worth it to you to keep going to Disney on your vacations. For us, we love Disney vacations, and go every year, so it makes sense to us. On top of that, the value of the accommodations are generally better, and bringing extra family to Florida or Hawaii is a piece of cake when you option for one/two bedroom villas for your stay. Sure, we pay for annual upkeep, but so far increases have been minimal if non-existent. They've even rolled back some years.

It's true too that Disney is cutting back on the resale market - if you own re-sold points, you don't receive any of the Disney "benefits" of ownership, with all the cost. Apparently, starting with the opening of Riviera Resort, resale owners won't be able to stay in the newer DVC resorts.

Comment

No thank you......there more to life than......Di$ney
                              There more to see , and do than just Disney Vacation.
                              IMO
                              I never want to be under , any contract with Disney !
                              Definitely not for me.
                              Last edited by Eagleman; 11-26-2019, 09:10 PM.
                              Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

$556 for Closing Costs
                                -------------
                                $20,148 for a year
                                Because it's only 20,000 that first year and you can hold it for 30 years. Your cost per year incrementally goes down once you have paid off your points and you're left with only annual dues. In my case I made my initial purchase by cash and now pay about $1000/year to stay in resorts in CA, HI and FL 10 or more nights per year. It's a huge savings off retail and means the difference between staying at a budget motel down the street or on property surrounded 24/7 by the "magic" for the same price.

Please consider the environment before printing useless emails

Comment

What I always thought about time shares, is if that if they are so great, why are sales people throwing themselves at me to get me to buy one? I mean have you ever been to Los Cabos? Every other person is trying to trick you into going to a presentation. Even Disney has those kiosks floating around (at least they don’t try to hard sell you). Hey, maybe that’s what the Tomorrow Land theater should be for. Time share presentations!

Comment

Originally posted by Theme_Park_Insider View Post
                                    It's true too that Disney is cutting back on the resale market - if you own re-sold points, you don't receive any of the Disney "benefits" of ownership, with all the cost. Apparently, starting with the opening of Riviera Resort, resale owners won't be able to stay in the newer DVC resorts.
                                    Timeshares don't fit my current life/vacation style, but if I were considering buying one then those changes would actually seem like a negative to me. With a contract that long, and making the resale look much less desirable, it's like they're removing value.

Comment

Originally posted by wlc View Post

Timeshares don't fit my current life/vacation style, but if I were considering buying one then those changes would actually seem like a negative to me. With a contract that long, and making the resale look much less desirable, it's like they're removing value.
                                      I don't disagree with you. We decided to specifically buy into one of the "original" resorts for this exact reason - so that our points retained some resale value. We were apparently one of the last buyers before everything sold out. Now the only DVCs available are the new ones under construction.

Buying into the "original" DVC properties via resale should still allow you to stay at your choice of those resorts, but again - no Disney perks either. I think it's to drive more direct from Disney sales in the new DVC resorts, also judging from the amount of DVC kiosks popping up.

If you buy into one of those soon-to-open resorts via resale, that's it for you - no resort hopping.

Comment

Well ,I go along with one poster
                                        Timeshares don't fit my current life/vacation style......
                                        and there more to life than Disney.
                                        But that is IMO
                                        Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X