Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] Thanksgiving Day storm

Weather reports indicate a winter type storm to arrive in the So Cal area by Thanksgiving Eve, extending into Thanksgiving Day. We’ll be at Disneyland for 2 days beginning on Thanksgiving Day. Now, I’m not much of a rainy day visitor, but have do so when there were gentle drizzles...this storm seems nastier...I’m thinking either stay in our hotel room and go the next day, which is forecasted not to be too nasty or maybe venture into Disneyland for shopping or even an attraction to two? And we have our annual passes so admission is not our worry, but getting cold and slightly wet will be, even with rain gear...
    I am old. But still love Disneyland.

In a heavy rain Disneyland is really not a fun place to be. Light to moderate rain is ok. But a heavy rainstorm can be a nightmare. Main Street turns into a lake, for example. Let’s just say there’s a reason Disneyland was built in a year.

Another thing to keep in mind is this is predicted to be a cold storm. The snow level is expected to drop to 2000 feet which means that daytime temperatures in Anaheim are not expected to go above 55 - 60 degrees during the daytime. So dress warm!

Comment

^ What he said!

NOAA 7-day forecast for Anaheim

Weather Underground 10-day forecast for Anaheim
      "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
      it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
      together with every variety of recreation and fun,
      designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
      - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
      - Bob Chapek

Comment

Originally posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
        In a heavy rain Disneyland is really not a fun place to be. Light to moderate rain is ok. But a heavy rainstorm can be a nightmare. Main Street turns into a lake, for example. Let’s just say there’s a reason Disneyland was built in a year.
        ~~~~~You Got That Right~~~~~~
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

We there during Christmas break in the rain one year. The place was empty! Walk on every ride. I brought fleece and polypropylene for all the out-of-towners in our group.
          Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream.
          Mark Twain

Comment

Do the park. Get some warm, well-fitted raincoats, hats, and boots, and you'll be fine. The lights in the evening will look spectacular in the rain and reflecting off the wet surfaces.
            "Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money." - ​Walt Disney

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	DisneylandWeather.JPG
Views:	1282
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	8607981
              “Not the least hard thing to bear when they go from us, these quiet friends, is that they carry away with them
              so many years of our own lives.”

DL Trips: '58, '59, '61, '65, '66, '67, '68x2, '69x2, '70x2, '71x2, '73x2, '74x2, '75x2, '76x2, '77, '78,x2, '79x2, '80x2, '81, '82, '83, '88, '89x3, '90x2, '91, '93, '94, '95x2, '96, '97, '98x4, '99, '00, '01, '02, '03, '04, '05, '06, '07x2, '08, '09x2, '10, '11, '13
              WDW Trips: '81
              EPCOT Trips: '93
              Tokyo DL Trips: '86

Comment

Originally posted by stovk View Post
                Click image for larger version  Name:	DisneylandWeather.JPG Views:	7 Size:	98.1 KB ID:	8607981
                $ well Black Friday looks nice$
                Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Was there during the rain one day and it was a ghost town. We grabbed some ponchos and walked on every ride. The rain died down in the afternoon so we went back to the hotel took warm showers and put on dry clothes. We then went to Hearthstone had martinis and went back in at night. It was an amazing day.

Comment

Originally posted by bayouguy View Post
                    Weather reports indicate a winter type storm to arrive in the So Cal area by Thanksgiving Eve, extending into Thanksgiving Day. We’ll be at Disneyland for 2 days beginning on Thanksgiving Day. Now, I’m not much of a rainy day visitor, but have do so when there were gentle drizzles...this storm seems nastier...I’m thinking either stay in our hotel room and go the next day, which is forecasted not to be too nasty or maybe venture into Disneyland for shopping or even an attraction to two? And we have our annual passes so admission is not our worry, but getting cold and slightly wet will be, even with rain gear...
                    If you can deal with the weather it will 100% be dead if it ends up being an all day rain. If you don’t visit often it will be well worth your while to get wet and walk on some attractions!

Comment

Thanks. We ordered raincoats, waterproof shoes, etc. I suppose as they say - a rainy day in Disneyland is better than a sunny day at work!

Comment

You'll have an amazing time even in the rain as long as you are dressed for the weather and have on water-proof shoes. People act like they'll melt in the rain in So Cal, so if the rain is more than a drizzle, a lot of people will stay home. It's going to be great.

Comment

I bet the rain wont even actuallymake it to much of Anaheim if it comes to SoCal at all. Do the park, youll be happy you did

Comment

IMO, as long as you wear a waterproof jacket and can keep your feet dry, you're good to go. I'd pack some Wellies.
                            "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

Comment

Forecast for Disneyland proper:

Thanksgiving Day
                              Showers and possibly a thunderstorm. Some of the storms could produce heavy rainfall. High near 56. Calm wind becoming west around 5 mph in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New rainfall amounts between a half and three quarters of an inch possible.

Thursday Night Showers and possibly a thunderstorm. Low around 46. Chance of precipitation is 80%.

Friday
                              A chance of showers, mainly before 4pm. Mostly sunny, with a high near 59. Chance of precipitation is 50%.

Friday Night
                              A slight chance of showers before 10pm. Partly cloudy, with a low around 44.

sigpic

Comment

I'll chime in to say that I think you're actually very lucky to be there when it rains - the park is empty, but nearly every attraction is still open. Prepare with the proper clothing (warm layers, waterproof outers, rain boots) and equipment (ponchos/heavy duty umbrellas), and you'll be fine.

Just go in with the mindset that you are going to be wet. But Disneyland has a special charm and magic in the rain. Those were my favorite days to work, even when outside.

Comment

Updated Weather Report

Click image for larger version

Name:	weathetr dl.JPG
Views:	817
Size:	123.2 KB
ID:	8608062
                                  “Not the least hard thing to bear when they go from us, these quiet friends, is that they carry away with them
                                  so many years of our own lives.”

DL Trips: '58, '59, '61, '65, '66, '67, '68x2, '69x2, '70x2, '71x2, '73x2, '74x2, '75x2, '76x2, '77, '78,x2, '79x2, '80x2, '81, '82, '83, '88, '89x3, '90x2, '91, '93, '94, '95x2, '96, '97, '98x4, '99, '00, '01, '02, '03, '04, '05, '06, '07x2, '08, '09x2, '10, '11, '13
                                  WDW Trips: '81
                                  EPCOT Trips: '93
                                  Tokyo DL Trips: '86

Comment

WET and Cold
                                    Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

I love Disney in the rain. Just wear a rain coat and bring an umbrella. Its just water. just water. Now, I guess with kids it might be hard, but my favorite visits have been in the rain for reasons others have said. The only down side is no entertainment (shows/fireworks). But no lines, just go to sit down restaurants for meals. You don’t want to be standing in line outside for food in the rain. Maybe make reservations at DCA or in Disneyland for meals. If you drink its nice to warm up at DCA at a sit down place with a.couple drinks too.

Comment

UPDATE - I am in Santa Ana right now at 10:15 am. It is currently pouring rain and 56 degrees.

EDIT - its now 11:15 and 50 degrees. Dress warm!
                                        Last edited by DisneyIPresume; 11-27-2019, 10:18 AM.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X