Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Main Street lamps

Keeping my question short,
    did the gas lamps on Main Street used to have mantles? Or were they always open flame lamps?
    I am Scary Scott,
    Call me a turn coat, a lunatic, loup garou, or skin walker. Shape shifter, lychanthrope, A moon watcher, or just crazy.
    I am Scary Scott, The steampunk, brony, author of Northern CA, that has just moved to Southern CA!
    Poor? Yes. Money? Forget about it, I got none! If I had it, I wouldn't for long, I want too much stuff!
    Disneyland for me is my absolute favorite place on earth, So I am the oddest werewolf you ever will meet.

Originally posted by sediment
    Scary: your post is dripping something. Tastes like sarcasm.
    Originally posted by Karalora
    This is excellent news! There are all sorts of good changes to the park that we were promised when Hell froze over.
    Hey, any of you like MLP Fan Fiction? (Laugh now, but It's practice for being an author some day!)
    Anyhow, check out my profile on fimfiction.net I'm Phoenix Quill there.

The lamps were working antiques purchased from around the country during Disneyland's construction. They used to have mantles -- and lamplighters, but I'm not sure of the years.
    "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
    it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
    together with every variety of recreation and fun,
    designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
    - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
    - Bob Chapek

Comment

If they still had lamplighters, that would be an incredibly nice touch!

Comment

Originally posted by micromind View Post
        If they still had lamplighters, that would be an incredibly nice touch!

They use to......
        I even recall as a kid....when they have lite up torch
        sticks in
        Frontierland and Adventureland
        Last edited by Eagleman; 11-24-2019, 08:41 PM.
        Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Originally posted by Scary Scott View Post
          Keeping my question short,
          did the gas lamps on Main Street used to have mantles? Or were they always open flame lamps?
          I remember mantles at least until the early to mid 1990s. The open flames don't provide nearly enough illumination that street lights would need to provide.

As an aside, it's neat that the few electric street lamps are situated in Town Square, where we can surmise that the newest trend in "modern" street lighting would have been installed!

Actual turn-of-the-century electric street lighting probably would have been a bit of an eyesore: early fixtures were basically wrought-iron arches festooned with bulbs straddling the street.
          Last edited by Right Down Broadway; 11-25-2019, 09:47 AM.

Comment

A bit off-topic but every time I see an old-fashion streetlamp that would likely be the gas-mantle type, I remember the song 'The Old Lamplighter' by The Browns.

It brings back really fond memories of a much simpler time..........

Comment

The lamps were changed in the mid-nineties as the opinion was that mantles were static and less dramatic than open flame, both being historically viable, the change was made. At that time, Main Street's interiors were being reimagined more in the image of the Main Street in the then newly opened and more detailed Disneyland Paris version where open flame was used.
              "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

Comment

A Cousin Orville sighting! The best Christmas yet.
                sigpic

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

Comment

Originally posted by Cousin Orville View Post
                  The lamps were changed in the mid-nineties as the opinion was that mantles were static and less dramatic than open flame, both being historically viable, the change was made.
                  Yes, open flames may be more "dramatic," but the mantles are far more historically accurate, especially in the light fixtures used on Main Street, U.S.A. Really, it all comes down to cost. Mantles cost money, and someone must be paid to replace them on a regular basis.

Comment

Main Street is a historically inspired, romanticized experience. Cost had nothing to do with it, it was a creative choice.
                    "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

Comment

Thanks for the replies, I was curious because I always remembered them as open flame,but my dad said he remembered mantles on the lamps.
                      he collects lanterns and when he noticed that the mantles were gone he wouldn't stop asking me where they went and I couldn't answer him.
                      I am Scary Scott,
                      Call me a turn coat, a lunatic, loup garou, or skin walker. Shape shifter, lychanthrope, A moon watcher, or just crazy.
                      I am Scary Scott, The steampunk, brony, author of Northern CA, that has just moved to Southern CA!
                      Poor? Yes. Money? Forget about it, I got none! If I had it, I wouldn't for long, I want too much stuff!
                      Disneyland for me is my absolute favorite place on earth, So I am the oddest werewolf you ever will meet.

Originally posted by sediment
                      Scary: your post is dripping something. Tastes like sarcasm.
                      Originally posted by Karalora
                      This is excellent news! There are all sorts of good changes to the park that we were promised when Hell froze over.
                      Hey, any of you like MLP Fan Fiction? (Laugh now, but It's practice for being an author some day!)
                      Anyhow, check out my profile on fimfiction.net I'm Phoenix Quill there.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X