Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] Matterhorn Visibility

Seems to me the last time I was in Disneyland after dark, the Matterhorn looked less illuminated than before. Or am I just imagining that? Also, while driving south on the Five last night, I was looking for the peak, but never saw it. Then I realized it must be that there are a lot more buildings between it and the freeway, compared to my childhood. Is the "who can spot the Matterhorn first" game defunct now? Or -- as I expect -- is the drive-by viewing "window" just much more narrow?

It can still be seen from the 57. Though DCA's landmarks are more visible from there than the Matterhorn.

Comment

Do they still have the same blue-green floodlights they had on it years ago?

Comment

Ever thing from trees and new buildings have gotten bigger in the O.C. , area
        When I was a teen you was able see the
        Matterhorn and Disneyland hotel , on clear day
        from freeways over pass......40ty some years ago (Fountain Valley)
        Now everthing has over growen since .
        Last edited by Eagleman; 11-29-2019, 07:08 PM.
        Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

There's no lighting on the Matterhorn at night. There hasn't been since they re-painted it a few years ago.
          "We wants the redhead!"

Comment

Originally posted by Klondike View Post
            There's no lighting on the Matterhorn at night. There hasn't been since they re-painted it a few years ago.
            really......
            they cut back on lighting?
            Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Originally posted by Klondike View Post
              I don't believe that's true. Unless it's just lights from the park, it still has some up lights when viewing from hub area.

Comment

Maybe the new paint job (with the more reflective, realistic "snow") just bounces ambient light. It definitely isn't lit up like in the old days. Actually, back then, it almost was over-done.

Comment

We played "I spy the Matterhorn" from the 5 as kids. It's been years since you could do that though. Shame. To me, the Matterhorn is the heart and soul of DL,and I don't even enjoy it as a ride.
                  "I wish they all could be California Bears!"

Comment

The biggest change that impacted seeing the Matterhorn looming in the distance from I5 South was the project that widened the freeway and put it below grade north of Disneyland.

Comment

Originally posted by Figment56 View Post
                      The biggest change that impacted seeing the Matterhorn looming in the distance from I5 South was the project that widened the freeway and put it below grade north of Disneyland.
                      I was going to mention this. Around the same time was also when Disney built the gigantic CM office buildings which also blocked the view. Another thing that is different now than say 25-35 years ago is the trees all around and inside the park have grown a whole lot taller since then, making it more difficult to see from the freeway and basically hiding the Matterhorn.

Comment

Haven't they cut down or cut back a lot of trees in the hub area to make viewing the fireworks easier?

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Weaver View Post
                          Haven't they cut down or cut back a lot of trees in the hub area to make viewing the fireworks easier?
                          In the hub, yes. A lot of the trees in northeast Tomorrowland and north of Fantasyland have been allowed to grow out, though.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X