Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Candlelight Processional

...is this weekend. Assuming they continue having A-list celebrity narrators, it seems worth a try to go.

What's the best strategy and viewing location you've heard about?

Hope the rain doesn't spoil it.

Comment

Best strategy is being one of the invited guests, otherwise at most maybe 50 ppl in the "standby" might make it into the seated viewing. Otherwise, you're gonna have to make do with sneaking peeks as you walk through the walkways. And that's all if it doesn't get cancelled due to increment weather.

Comment

Years ago, I just happened to be there and hung out at the edge of the crowd by the firehouse. I think Dick van Dyke was the reader. Nothing like singing Christmas carols with a thousand people on Main Street.
        Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream.
        Mark Twain

Comment

When was the last time they cancelled candlelight due to weather? We have reservations for the second showing on Saturday and in the past 6 years of shows I've gone to, I've not had it cancelled due to rain. Has that ever happened though?

Comment

It probably has. Especially the years when they did it for almost the whole month, every night. But just because it's uncommon, don't think that they won't cancel it due to rain. I'm pretty sure the little orchestra ensemble they have for the live music will absolutely REFUSE to play their expensive and environment delicate instruments out in any sort of rain, heavy or light.

Comment

Originally posted by Tapdawg View Post
              When was the last time they cancelled candlelight due to weather? We have reservations for the second showing on Saturday and in the past 6 years of shows I've gone to, I've not had it cancelled due to rain. Has that ever happened though?
              It's been several years since they cancelled Candlelight due to rain or weather, but remember there was a drought in the mid 2010's.

Candlelight has been cancelled several times in the last 15 years because of rain. There were at least two years when it didn't even rain, it just began to lightly mist and that's enough. If there is too much moisture in the air the conductor Nancy raises her baton and the orchestra immediately marches off stage for the night and the event is cancelled. This happened at least twice in the last 15 years - I know because both years I was dating a girl in Guest Relations and all hell breaks loose when Candlelight gets cancelled just before showtime or during the show itself. I had to do good boyfriend duty for days after to get her to relax after that hell.

If any precipitation begins to fall just before or during the show, the orchestra walks off quickly and the show is immediately cancelled. The conductor Nancy makes that call, and no one else.

Comment

Is my HOPE
                That this program does not get
                cancell !
                For it is most DECENT program, that have left at Disneyland.........
                Shareing the True Christmas and there alot that goes into it
                includes an orchestra and massed choir that perform traditional holiday songs
                while a guest celebrity retells the biblical story of Christmas.
                Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Originally posted by Westsider View Post

It's been several years since they cancelled Candlelight due to rain or weather, but remember there was a drought in the mid 2010's.

Candlelight has been cancelled several times in the last 15 years because of rain. There were at least two years when it didn't even rain, it just began to lightly mist and that's enough. If there is too much moisture in the air the conductor Nancy raises her baton and the orchestra immediately marches off stage for the night and the event is cancelled. This happened at least twice in the last 15 years - I know because both years I was dating a girl in Guest Relations and all hell breaks loose when Candlelight gets cancelled just before showtime or during the show itself. I had to do good boyfriend duty for days after to get her to relax after that hell.

If any precipitation begins to fall just before or during the show, the orchestra walks off quickly and the show is immediately cancelled. The conductor Nancy makes that call, and no one else.
                  Thank you for the response, I wonder why they don't do candelight in the Fantasyland Theater instead. Is it just the nostalgia/legacy of doing it at the train station on mainstreet?

Comment

Thank you for the response, I wonder why they don't do candelight in the Fantasyland Theater instead. Is it just the nostalgia/legacy of doing it at the train station on mainstreet?
                    This seems like a viable alternative, but so much infrastructure and planning goes into making it work on Main Street that it's probably easier to just cancel it. I would love to see a processional start from the castle, go past small world, and end at the Fantasyland Theatre. I can see people walking down the aisles now.

Comment

One would wonder why they haven't done that.

Or better yet, if only they could put it in some sort of large indoor theater. I mean obviously the resort doesn't have one of those!

Anyway, is anyone going to see Frozen at the Hyperion Theater soon?

Comment

Fantasyland Theater is also no good in the rain. It's "covered", but not really.

Comment

The did do it in the Fantasyland Theatre a few years ago. I’m sure they got a lot of backlash. I’m glad they nixed that idea. It belongs on Main Street.

Comment

Originally posted by Spongeocto4 View Post

One would wonder why they haven't done that.

Or better yet, if only they could put it in some sort of large indoor theater. I mean obviously the resort doesn't have one of those!

Anyway, is anyone going to see Frozen at the Hyperion Theater soon?
                            They don't do performances on Friday/Saturday (the peak days of the week), so it would be open!

Originally posted by Ttgal4 View Post
                            The did do it in the Fantasyland Theatre a few years ago. I’m sure they got a lot of backlash. I’m glad they nixed that idea. It belongs on Main Street.
                            I agree with this in principle, but if the choice is between the Fantasyland Theatre when it rains and nothing at all, I would choose the Fantasyland Theatre, if only to give the performers who look forward to this one night every year a chance to be heard and the story to be told.

Originally posted by Ionan89 View Post

Fantasyland Theater is also no good in the rain. It's "covered", but not really.
                            That's sad to hear! But the stage is covered at least, right? So the instruments can stay dry if need be?

Comment

Who is invited to this show anyway and why do they have something so exclusive going on during normal park hours? We really want to try and catch what we can of this but I'm worried we're going to be very disappointed.
                              "I wish they all could be California Bears!"

Comment

Originally posted by Sun Bonnet View Post
                                Who is invited to this show anyway and why do they have something so exclusive going on during normal park hours? We really want to try and catch what we can of this but I'm worried we're going to be very disappointed.
                                exclusive

YEP......There will many
                                exclusive's that comes to this event from Burbank.......
                                Then they have a big Dinner afterward........
                                Myself , I just to old now.....to stand in one spot for hours ......to watch this program

But ,I'M thankful for few programs , I got to see when, I was younger
                                Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

My Guesses for performer:
                                  -Idina Menzel(My Top Guess)
                                  -Josh Gad
                                  -Jonathan Groff
                                  -Kristen Bell
                                  -Scarlet Johanson
                                  -Daisy Ridley
                                  -John Boyega
                                  -Oscar Isaac
                                  -Adam Driver
                                  -Tom Holand
                                  Neil Patrick Harris(hosting Epcot's version tonight)

Comment

For those worried about being able to see it you can see most of it ( sans were tress block it ) from Main Street. We've walked past it a couple of times over the years and the edges are designated walkways ( kind of like when parades are happening but the center is left for people to view. It is quite the site but we never felt the need to watch for more then 5-10 min. We were just there yesterday and they are have already begun setting up so they expect it to happen it seems.

Comment

I got seats one year...but my wife fell ill during the show...not the best way to spend an evening...
                                      I am old. But still love Disneyland.

Comment

Originally posted by Ttgal4 View Post
                                        But surely holding it in the theatre is better than having to cancel it entirely.

As a native of Minnesota, I find it wild that SoCal always forgets that weather exists, and have to cancel everything when it rains. I would have thought there'd be a contingency plan in place for inclement weather, especially considering that this is the rainy season here in California. In other parts of the US, we'd be absolutely screwed if we didn't have indoor options.

Comment

Working...
                                        X