• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Natalie Price
    >
    • Dec 2016

Rise of The Resistance Promotional Video vs Actually Riding The Ride

The promotional video looked fairly exciting when I saw it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxBq...ature=youtu.be

But you know how dramatic they like things to look. After all...it's a promo. (By the way, that video was shot on "Life Day" at Disneyland's SWGE. And the guests were actors). So how does actually being on the ride compare? Well, it doesn't. I won't go into details because we're not supposed to until after it opens at WDW in a few days. But the ride is absolutely amazing. There were those (many in fact) who deemed SWGE a huge failure. But this ride changes everything. When I left the ride my mind was still processing what I had just gone through. I was floored.
    There will be one huge negative though...demand is going to be epic. WDW will have to figure out how to manage the crowds because their ride opens during the busy holiday season. Fortunately for Disneyland, ours opens during the slowest time of the year for the park. And we have the advantage of watching how Florida handles things to get an idea of what works and what doesn't. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Boarding Pass coming into play for us here in Anaheim.

(Note: I know you would prefer details, but I love where I work. BUT...there are Cast Members who think differently and I'm sure you'll be hearing from them with spoilers)
    Last edited by Natalie Price; 12-02-2019, 08:03 AM.
  • WaltDisney'sAlec
    Happily Ridiculous
    • Dec 2011

This is great to hear. I felt similarly to riding Flight of Passage at WDW -- a screen-based ride with IP that I had no attachment to. If Disney has recapture that with something I care about while giving me animatronics and great special effects, I'm sure demand will be insane. I will definitely have Jan. 17th reserved on my Flex Pass when the moment comes. Nevertheless, I'm actually refraining from watching any video promos of the ride, so I've only seen errant thumbnails here and there. Based on what you're saying though, the boarding groups will be a must. My only question is...

Will the ride take single riders?

Comment

• CM.X777
      Cast Member
      • Jan 2017

Originally posted by WaltDisney'sAlec View Post
      No

Comment

• Spongeocto4
        Paper Mario Fanatic

• Jul 2011

As I mentioned in another thread, the original promos looks very enhanced, like how Kylo's lightsaber is noticeably CGI.

And for the record, this isn't new, as the Parks' Marketing team, has had a long tendency to exagerate details with their promotions(One can't help but wonder, when Marketing will finally be sued for false advertising, but that's for another thread...).

The b roll footage for a recent promo, gives a better idea of what to expect. The ride still looks good, though.

"...but life without cake is no life at all"
        -Lysithea von Ordelia, Fire Emblem: Three Houses

Disneyland: 1997, 1998, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2007, 2010, 2015, 2020, 2023
        WDW: 2006
        Universal Hollywood: 1998, 2007, 2023

Comment

• Natalie Price
          >
          • Dec 2016

This is great to hear. I felt similarly to riding Flight of Passage at WDW -- a screen-based ride with IP that I had no attachment to. If Disney has recapture that with something I care about while giving me animatronics and great special effects, I'm sure demand will be insane. I will definitely have Jan. 17th reserved on my Flex Pass when the moment comes. Nevertheless, I'm actually refraining from watching any video promos of the ride, so I've only seen errant thumbnails here and there. Based on what you're saying though, the boarding groups will be a must. My only question is...

There's no comparison. You'll see when the reviews start coming in.

Comment

• Tapdawg
            Walt's Polo Club Member
            • Jul 2005

After reading over your previous posts and replies on other threads, I have to take anything you post with a grain of salt. I will reserve my judgment of the ride until I experience it first hand.

Comment

• denyuntilcaught
              MiceChatter
              • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Tapdawg View Post
              After reading over your previous posts and replies on other threads, I have to take anything you post with a grain of salt. I will reserve my judgment of the ride until I experience it first hand.
              Thanks for chiming in, although Natalie's "review" of the attraction does align with many trusted insiders on other boards as well, mainly that the attraction is spectacular. (One insider stated that it's the best attraction Disney has done stateside since IJA, for example.)

Comment

• tarheelalum
                Mice chatter
                • Apr 2015

How long can it operate now without breaking down?

Comment

• toonaspie
                  Nutty about Disney parks
                  • Aug 2006

Watching videos of the ride on Youtube before riding it doesn't bother me. The videos I've seen of this so far do seem to look edited in a sense. That's not a slant against the ride. I look forward to riding it but I probably won't be back at a Disney park for another year or two.

Comment

• Disneyidol
                    MiceChatter
                    • Jan 2015

As an industry insider / while all these leaks def have me very intrigued like many of you - there’s still a weird veil over this opening.

Natalie Price Food for thought - hasn’t there been a media day already at DLP? Since you’ve been on it and clearly cast member previews of sorts have begun - it makes no traditional sense that according to you the DLR ride seems ready to go but you’ve expressed some reservations about Orlando. Since we are almost hours away from the attractions world premiere - for the life of me can’t understand D having an embargo in affect till 12/5 - opening day. Weird all around. Are you yourself under an NDA? Your drumbeat if “I’ll save my full review till Orlando opens makes no sense - on paper...

Westsider Im guessing - just guessing that operationally - just like you said - this may not go off without hitches - hence the embargo ?

Comment

• biggsworth
                      MiceChatter
                      • Apr 2009

Originally posted by Disneyidol View Post
                      As an industry insider / while all these leaks def have me very intrigued like many of you - there’s still a weird veil over this opening.

Natalie Price Food for thought - hasn’t there been a media day already at DLP? Since you’ve been on it and clearly cast member previews of sorts have begun - it makes no traditional sense that according to you the DLR ride seems ready to go but you’ve expressed some reservations about Orlando. Since we are almost hours away from the attractions world premiere - for the life of me can’t understand D having an embargo in affect till 12/5 - opening day. Weird all around. Are you yourself under an NDA? Your drumbeat if “I’ll save my full review till Orlando opens makes no sense - on paper...

Westsider Im guessing - just guessing that operationally - just like you said - this may not go off without hitches - hence the embargo ?
                      Bingo! I'm sure the attraction is amazing but it still leaves SWGE short in promises. 1 attraction did not fix the rest of the land. I'm excited to ride it. I can't wait to hear actual reviews from people who've actually been on it.
                      These are some of my favorite TRs I have posted

DL 55th BDAY trip report
                      My company had a special night at the park
                      WdW trip report with WWoHP
                      NYE 2011 trip report
                      Mice Chat 7th anniversary
                      Leap year 24 hour report
                      New DCA trip report
                      NYE 2012
                      HKDL trip report

Comment

• Yamamoto364
                        MiceChatter
                        • Oct 2019

Why would they be letting Disneyland Cast or anyone else leak info about the attraction before it’s official opening? I don’t understand what is suspicious about that, Disney has always done that with new attractions.

they are letting Cast ride to get real life practice with people, I am sure. The purpose isn’t to let them experience it in order to leak what they have seen or share it.

The California attraction was always ahead of the WDW version.

Comment

• Natalie Price
                          >
                          • Dec 2016

Disneyland hasn't been calling it cast previews. It's "testing"; it's not officially cast previews. My reservations about Orlando have to do with what I'm hearing from CMs over there, which is, they haven't been doing test runs with cast members like we have. That just seems weird.

As for the "embargo", there's nothing new there. Sneak peaks are always secret until it opens. So 12/5 is when it will no longer be a secret to the public.

The only big media event for the ride that I'm aware will happen for WDW.
                          Last edited by Natalie Price; 12-02-2019, 05:44 PM.

Comment

• Natalie Price
                            >
                            • Dec 2016

Originally posted by Yamamoto364 View Post

Why would they be letting Disneyland Cast or anyone else leak info about the attraction before it’s official opening? I don’t understand what is suspicious about that, Disney has always done that with new attractions.

they are letting Cast ride to get real life practice with people, I am sure. The purpose isn’t to let them experience it in order to leak what they have seen or share it.
                            Exactly! At least you get it, if no one else does.
                            Last edited by Natalie Price; 12-02-2019, 05:30 PM.

Comment

• WaltDisney'sAlec
                              Happily Ridiculous
                              • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Natalie Price View Post

Disneyland hasn't been calling it cast previews. It's "testing"; it's not officially cast previews. My reservations about Orlando have to do with what I'm hearing from CMs over there, which is, they haven't been doing test runs with cast members like we have. That just seems weird.
                              This would line up with what Westsider has told us. Florida was always behind schedule and hotel bookings are down due to only one ride being open at Galaxy's Edge. If they wanted to get people to fill the parks during the holidays instead of waiting for next summer, promising to open Rise of the Resistance at WDW first would make logical sense. I wouldn't be surprised if the ride isn't running as smoothly as it is at DLR. The flipside is that everything is going so well that they aren't letting anyone ride it at all because they've done all the prep they need to. That second option seems less likely, but we'll find out in a couple days.

Comment

• Eagleman
                                Lord of the Sky

• Oct 2008

We will see" when it "Happens" <
                                Last edited by Eagleman; 12-02-2019, 05:42 PM.
                                Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

• Eagleman
                                  Lord of the Sky

• Oct 2008

Originally posted by tarheelalum View Post
                                  How long can it operate now without breaking down?
                                  And That is main Question...........I agree
                                  Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

• Mr Wiggins

• Jan 2005

Regardless of how well the ride functions, for Disney management it will all be about appearances and perception. This is a management hierarchy that went into panic mode when Star Wars Land under-performed at DLR (they cut live entertainment, slashed CM hours, and threw a Parks executive under the bus) but publicly boasted that the land's performance "exceeded our expectations." Whether or not this one ride turns the financial tide for Star Wars Land, one can be certain that management, via the mainstream media and their social media mouthpieces, will spin it as a smash hit.
                                    "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
                                    it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
                                    together with every variety of recreation and fun,
                                    designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
                                    - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
                                    - Bob Chapek

Comment

• biggsworth
                                      MiceChatter
                                      • Apr 2009

This would line up with what Westsider has told us. Florida was always behind schedule and hotel bookings are down due to only one ride being open at Galaxy's Edge. If they wanted to get people to fill the parks during the holidays instead of waiting for next summer, promising to open Rise of the Resistance at WDW first would make logical sense. I wouldn't be surprised if the ride isn't running as smoothly as it is at DLR. The flipside is that everything is going so well that they aren't letting anyone ride it at all because they've done all the prep they need to. That second option seems less likely, but we'll find out in a couple days.
                                      Yep can always trust Westsider info. We can only hope the version here benefits from the extra time and prep.
                                      These are some of my favorite TRs I have posted

DL 55th BDAY trip report
                                      My company had a special night at the park
                                      WdW trip report with WWoHP
                                      NYE 2011 trip report
                                      Mice Chat 7th anniversary
                                      Leap year 24 hour report
                                      New DCA trip report
                                      NYE 2012
                                      HKDL trip report

Comment

• Eagleman
                                        Lord of the Sky

• Oct 2008

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
                                        Regardless of how well the ride functions, for Disney management it will all be about appearances and perception. This is a management hierarchy that went into panic mode when Star Wars Land under-performed at DLR (they cut live entertainment, slashed CM hours, and threw a Parks executive under the bus) but publicly boasted that the land's performance "exceeded our expectations." Whether or not this one ride turns the financial tide for Star Wars Land, one can be certain that management, via the mainstream media and their social media mouthpieces, will spin it as a smash hit.
                                        The great "PR" """"Disney Spin""""
                                        But "SMASH HIT" for who....?.....
                                        Consumer /Guest
                                        or the Leadership of this company , and there Bonus !
                                        Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X