Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Held Deciding Days in January

Hi Guys

We will be staying at the GCH from 12 January - 19 January and have 5 day parkhoppers and just need some help deciding on which days to use the tickets.

We've ruled out the 12th and the 19th (because they are our arrival and departure days). So, that gives us 5 days to pick out of a possible six.

We would like to be in the parks on Tuesday (14th), Wednesday (15th) and Thursday (16th). So that leaves us picking two days, of the 13th (Monday), 17th (Friday) and 18th (Saturday).

Our original plan was to go Monday (13th) through to Friday (17th). My plan was to avoid the weekend, because it is the MLK Day Holiday weekend and I figured the parks would be busy on the Saturday with the combination of ROTR opening on the Friday and the Holiday.

But I have seen other people mention that Saturday can be the best time to go to Disneyland, because of some AP blockouts.

So what would you guys recommend? Presuming 14th-16th is locked in, what would you pick for the other 2 days?

Thanks in advance.

You know, Rise of the Resistance opens Jan 17? Touring Plans (would be worth the $8/yr for you) has the 13th--7/10 crowd level; 17th--5/10; 18th--8/10. They don't try to guess the impact of the new ride. I checked the crowds around SR's opening. It was 1/10's for a week, so that didn't help.
    Last edited by sailor310; 12-04-2019, 07:38 PM.
    Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream.
    Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by sailor310 View Post
      You know, Rise of the Resistance opens Jan 17?
      Yep... Do you think it would be best to go on both Friday and Saturday so that I can have two ROTR days?

Comment

You posted before I finished my edit. Monday is a $104 day, Fri $129, Sat $149-so Disney thinks it's going to be crowded. It's anybody's guess as to whether folks are going to be frightened off by the opening crowds or tons of folks that had waited for both rides to be open will rush out.
        Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream.
        Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by sailor310 View Post
          You know, Rise of the Resistance opens Jan 17? Touring Plans (would be worth the $8/yr for you) has the 13th--7/10 crowd level; 17th--5/10; 18th--8/10. They don't try to guess the impact of the new ride. I checked the crowds around SR's opening. It was 1/10's for a week, so that didn't help.
          Thanks for that. On a busy day, do the parks start to get quieter later at night (say after 8pm)?

Comment

Check the AP blackouts. That will tell you how crossed to expect it.
            These are some of my favorite TRs I have posted

DL 55th BDAY trip report
            My company had a special night at the park
            WdW trip report with WWoHP
            NYE 2011 trip report
            Mice Chat 7th anniversary
            Leap year 24 hour report
            New DCA trip report
            NYE 2012
            HKDL trip report

Comment

Originally posted by biggsworth View Post
              Check the AP blackouts. That will tell you how crossed to expect it.
              On the 18th, the Flex requires reservation, the Socal Passes are blocked out and the other passes (Signature and Deluxe) are good to go. I'm not nearly Disneyland experienced enough to know what this means for crowds though?

Comment

On Friday the 17th, 5/10 crowd level, all the APs will show up after work. On Sat, there will be fewer APs. The tourists get tired and go home after fireworks.
                Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Version 6 View Post

On the 18th, the Flex requires reservation, the Socal Passes are blocked out and the other passes (Signature and Deluxe) are good to go. I'm not nearly Disneyland experienced enough to know what this means for crowds though?
                  It's better if deluxe and socal are blocked, however it's a weekday so the morning may be better on the 17th but the evening of the 17 people will show up after work and school.. Now if course ROTR opens that day so that becomes a wild card.

Sat morning could be a mess due to deluxe being open and ROTR being open and also it's a 3 day weekend.

DL 55th BDAY trip report
                  NYE 2011 trip report
                  Leap year 24 hour report
                  New DCA trip report
                  NYE 2012
                  HKDL trip report

Comment

It's better if deluxe and socal are blocked, however it's a weekday so the morning may be better on the 17th. Now if course ROTR opens that day so that becomes a wild card. Saturday morning could be a mess due to deluxe being open and ROTR being open and also it's a 3 day weekend.
                    Thanks.

So in your opinion, should I keep the Friday (so I have at least one ROTR day) and bank on there being lower crowds on the Monday (13th) as opposed to the Saturday (18th)?

Comment

Thanks.

So in your opinion, should I keep the Friday (so I have at least one ROTR day) and bank on there being lower crowds on the Monday (13th) as opposed to the Saturday (18th)?
                      I would do that and plan ROTR early. Just depends how many people skip school or call in sick to be "first" on ROTR. That's the gamble. To me though Saturday in this case would be more crowded. Monday the 13th should be light crowds I would think.

DL 55th BDAY trip report
                      NYE 2011 trip report
                      Leap year 24 hour report
                      New DCA trip report
                      NYE 2012
                      HKDL trip report

Comment

I would do that and plan ROTR early. Just depends how many people skip school or call in sick to be "first" on ROTR. That's the gamble. To me though Saturday in this case would be more crowded. Monday the 13th should be light crowds I would think.
                        Thank you so much for your considered responses.

Re: doing ROTR in the morning... I assumed people would be camping/lining up from really early. My plan was to wait until close to park closing and hope that people had tired and that the crowds had thinned out.... Do you think I'm on the wrong track?

Comment

Thank you so much for your considered responses.

Re: doing ROTR in the morning... I assumed people would be camping/lining up from really early. My plan was to wait until close to park closing and hope that people had tired and that the crowds had thinned out.... Do you think I'm on the wrong track?
                          That's hard to say. If the attraction is reliable then later works I would think. If it suffers from outrages then I could see them cutting the line at night and closing it for the rest of the evening.

DL 55th BDAY trip report
                          NYE 2011 trip report
                          Leap year 24 hour report
                          New DCA trip report
                          NYE 2012
                          HKDL trip report

Comment

If you REALLY want to ride ROR, you might put up with a potentially more crowded Sat (vs Monday)to make sure that if it goes hard down on Friday, you still might get to ride Sat. We have a month to see how reliable it gets.
                            Mark Twain

Comment

One question I have about Flex AP if you reserve a date is it a park hopper or is it for one park and do you have to designate it?

DL 55th BDAY trip report
                              NYE 2011 trip report
                              Leap year 24 hour report
                              New DCA trip report
                              NYE 2012
                              HKDL trip report

Comment

Get Away Today Footer