Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it finally time to remove all Star Wars from Tomorrowland?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] Is it finally time to remove all Star Wars from Tomorrowland?

Ok now that ROTR is due to open in 4-5 weeks is it finally time to de-Star Wars Tomorrowland?

There is an expansion pad still left untouched in SW:GE, some say its for a restaurant others say it would be a perfect spot for Star Tours to move into. ( I agree with ST moving there) They keep teasing a renovation of TL and I say they should create a tunnel of sorts to allow guests to access Space Mountain ( Classic edition ) during the renovation of the land insulating guests from construction and proceed to demo what needs to be done with hopes ( fingers crossed tightly here) that they will finally solve the issues that have plagued this land since they meddled with it in the late 90's. I know It will be hard for the current brass to green light removing two Star Wars attractions that feed right into a large gift shop but common people enough already. I am HUGE Star Wars fan but with SW:GE and then the right side of TL both dedicated to Star Wars I feel it is too much and it feels like a 5th of the park is being dedicated to a single IP. I would love to see a modern take on ATIS where ST currently sits and Disney has a lot of Sci-Fi IP's if they still feel the need to exploit themselves rather than innovate. Is it finally the time to make the big cut once SW:GE is quite fully operational.

What say you?

I say yes, yes and more yes. Now that we have SW:GE I would be more than happy to see Star Wars completely erased from Tomorrowland. IMO, Star Tours 2.0 is worse than the original attraction so I wouldn't be heartbroken to see it go and frankly it's too much exposure for the property overall. I also really want classic Space Mountain back. SW's removal would free up a ton of room for redevelopment so I'd be excited to see what happens in that scenario.
    "I take no side. I am beyond your worrying and wars. I am unseen. Unknowable. Like a rock in the river."

Comment

No, keep ST in Tomorrowland, it's not like there are any better ideas for a ride there. Also, it doesn't "fit" the time theme there.

A much better use of that 3rd pad in GE would be a coaster. Use the empty spot + the area where the canceled Bantha track was going to go, and put in a speeder bike coaster like Hagrids. Have go through a rocky Tatooine section with a sandcrawler and jawas/sandpeople, then along the southern border of Batuu by a launching spaceship, and back through an Endor section with trees and an AT-St/imperial attack. Of course make it all fit Batuu with rock spires and stuff, but also unapologetically tie it to the original trilogy movies. The 3rd pad is 3/4 the size of big thunder at least.
      "Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money." - ​Walt Disney

Comment

I agree that Star Tours does not belong in SWGE, but the Tomorrowland ride could/should be re-purposed to another IP. WALL-E perhaps?

Comment

They can probably fence off the whole East Side and do all the demo and construction they want over a couple years - with Star Wars land existing they likely have enough bandwidth to maintain attendance depth despite half the Park being off limits.

Wouldn't be the first time in history, and it sounds preferable to the nightmare logistics of trying to keep an attraction open in the middle of a giant construction zone.

And yes - eliminate all Star Wars in Tomorrowland. It's redundant and severely outclassed.

Comment

On one hand I would love it if Star Tours was moved to GE and it feel more complete. On the other hand though if they only have room for just one major ride, I think its probably better to do something new and original to really get people excited. When the idea of GE was announced most assumed that would happen and at the time it would've worked out perfectly. But doing it years later after the land is open wouldn't bring the same interest and excitement and why I don't think it will ever be done.

And lastly I think Disney told us they don't see Star Tours as being important to GE as they had a much better chance to incorporate ST at DHS but still didn't bother. So yes in a perfect world I also feel it would be great if Star Tours was there and I think would fit fine (do the citizens of Batu not travel off world? And the spy subplot would work perfectly given that members of the resistance are there) but I think the idea has passed now.

Comment

Bring Space Mountain back (and Ghost Galaxy for Halloween next year). I don't really have an issue with star tours staying.

Comment

Some thing tell me.......
                Once they close Star Tour....Disney not going to move it.....
                It would go Yesterland Attractions.....
                So for now I'm happy were it is , to something better comes it way !
                IMO
                Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

A well-themed coaster would also bring some much-needed movement and life to the land, especially if it uses the abandoned elevated bantha path. It would also give the park a third big exciting promotable attraction.
                  "Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money." - ​Walt Disney

Comment

To save time, remove the Star Wars theming and use the motion simulators for a new "Mission to the Planets" attraction. This space flight is a hybrid of the old “Mission to Mars/Flight to the Moon/Star Tours” attraction except the flight takes you to a few, random, outer planets or moons within our solar system. This may sound boring but you can spice up this classic Edutainment with a rouge meteor shower, volcanic eruption (which you are too close to), or a large comet (Comets !!!) . Mars, Saturn and Jupiter offer plenty of variety and scenic beauty and varied moons. It's still Star Tours with the Star Wars removed.
                    Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Comment

I'm fine with Star Tour. Move it or leave it, I'll still be content.

Let's be realistic here, if Star Wars does leave Tomorrowland and a revamp does takes place, a 'non IP Tomorrowland' is not going to happen.

My bet is that there will be a mix of Disney, Marvel and Pixar properties.Wall-E, TRON, Iron Man and Ant Man are all possibilities, with my bet that Buzz and Nemo will stay, despite their online reputation.

Heck, even Avatar may rear it's head into the land.
                      Last edited by Spongeocto4; 12-10-2019, 05:50 PM. Reason: Spellcheck

Comment

Originally posted by MRaymond View Post
                        To save time, remove the Star Wars theming and use the motion simulators for a new "Mission to the Planets" attraction. This space flight is a hybrid of the old “Mission to Mars/Flight to the Moon/Star Tours” attraction except the flight takes you to a few, random, outer planets or moons within our solar system. This may sound boring but you can spice up this classic Edutainment with a rouge meteor shower, volcanic eruption (which you are too close to), or a large comet (Comets !!!) . Mars, Saturn and Jupiter offer plenty of variety and scenic beauty and varied moons. It's still Star Tours with the Star Wars removed.
                        Edutainment
                        I kind of like the concept of your Ideal......
                        and get away from the IP move.
                        IMO
                        Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Originally posted by Spongeocto4 View Post
                          I'm fine with Star Tour. Move it or leave it, I'll still be content.

Let's be realistic here, if Star Wars does leave Tomorrowland and a revamp does takes place, a 'non IP Tomorrowland' is not going to happen.

My bet is that there will be a mix of Disney, Marvel and Pixar properties.Wall-E, TRON, Iron Man and Ant Man are all possibilities, with my bet that Buzz and Nemo will stay, despite their online reputation.

Heck, even Avatar may rear it's head into the land.
                          Maybe, but it seems to me that TPTB are moving all things Marvel and a Pixar into DCA, and leaving DL for traditional properties (SW obviously being excepted)

Comment

I never thought Star Wars anything belonged in DL, so yes, I'd be in the 'get rid of it' camp......

Comment

It is time to remove it all but they won't!!!
                              These are some of my favorite TRs I have posted

DL 55th BDAY trip report
                              My company had a special night at the park
                              WdW trip report with WWoHP
                              NYE 2011 trip report
                              Mice Chat 7th anniversary
                              Leap year 24 hour report
                              New DCA trip report
                              NYE 2012
                              HKDL trip report

Comment

Since it'd cost $$$ to remove it and more $$$ to put something else in its place..........

Comment

Originally posted by micromind View Post
                                  Since it'd cost $$$ to remove it and more $$$ to put something else in its place..........
                                  It will stay for while ,
                                  till Disney have to figure out what they going do with Tomorrowland.
                                  I Hoping for the Best , for the over all area!
                                  Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Originally posted by MRaymond View Post
                                    I was about to make the same suggestion when I read your post. This would totally fit the Tomorrowland theme, and without an IP to boot. They could use a combination of actual NASA footage as well as CGI. It would also be relatively cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by Ttgal4 View Post

I was about to make the same suggestion when I read your post. This would totally fit the Tomorrowland theme, and without an IP to boot. They could use a combination of actual NASA footage as well as CGI. It would also be relatively cheap.
                                      BINGO....I Agree
                                      I know ,I would enjoy a trip in real space and can be will
                                      Edutainment
                                      Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Originally posted by micromind View Post
                                        I never thought Star Wars anything belonged in DL, so yes, I'd be in the 'get rid of it' camp......
                                        x2
                                        "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
                                        it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
                                        together with every variety of recreation and fun,
                                        designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
                                        - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
                                        - Bob Chapek

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X