Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rebecca Campbell = The Future of DLR

Rebecca and Bob Chapek were at Candlelight last weekend, and they went on a goodwill tour around the park together visiting with the CM's participating in Candlelight. Friends I know in Guest Relations who run Candlelight weekend told me this is the first time ever for Chapek to be at Disneyland for Candlelight since he became Chairman. For some reason he decided to show up this year and schmooze his way around the park pretending to like CM's and pretending to be interested in their jobs and their lives - 36 hours after he opened a non-working Rise at the DHS media event.

No one was really buying it from Chapek because we all know his deal already. But Rebecca is the unknown still.

Rebecca has been laying very low since she arrived at DLR and is not seen walking the park or appearing around the property like Josh did constantly when he arrived in early 2018. But the CM's she interacted with on Candlelight weekend got hardly anything out of her except big fake smiles and pretend interest - one CM I know said she was "like a smarmy real estate agent gushing about how fabulous the sliding glass doors in the family room are to potential buyers". Harsh! Chapek came off stiff and creepy and forced like he always does and Rebecca came off just kind of fake and pretending to be having fun in front of Chapek. Why even bother to show up if it's that obvious you don't care? It was like they were on a PR campaign for something.

One of the weird things is how while they were mingling with the Company Choir who form the living Christmas tree for Candlelight they kept using all these creepy HR words for Christmas. They'd say "this special season" or "the holidays" (plural) or "magical celebration" but they just refused to say the word Christmas in a sentence. And the CM's who spend many hours of their own time rehearsing to be in the Candlelight choir each year were sitting there like "Bruh! We're literally going out there to sing traditional hymns about the birth of Jesus - it's okay to say the word Christmas!!!" It was obvious both Rebecca and Chapek didn't know their audience or have an understanding of what Candlelight was.

There were some other examples of Rebecca's weird fakeness - but I have to protect the innocent this close to her rare appearance in the park. She doesn't seem to get it. Like she has no idea what Disneyland even is or how she's supposed to respond to stuff. She seems like a puppet that says her talking points that the Communications team on the 3rd floor of TDA prepared for her and she's just going to do whatever Chapek wants of her. Josh was doing sooooooo much freakin' work to make the CM experience better at DLR and we don't know what's gonna happen to all that. Will Rebecca cancel it all to save money for Chapek or continue Josh's work and take the credit in 2020? She gives off a vibe like she doesn't even know what Disneyland is about or why she should care.

Super bad sign for the immediate future of DLR is what a bunch of us are thinking. How 'bout you?

Ha just check out the photos on FB. My wife and I call Cheapek "Mr plastic" for how fake he looks lol in the pics.
    These are some of my favorite TRs I have posted

DL 55th BDAY trip report
    My company had a special night at the park
    WdW trip report with WWoHP
    NYE 2011 trip report
    Mice Chat 7th anniversary
    Leap year 24 hour report
    New DCA trip report
    NYE 2012
    HKDL trip report

Comment

Originally posted by Westsider View Post
      For some reason he decided to show up this year and schmooze his way around the park pretending to like CM's and pretending to be interested in their jobs and their lives - 36 hours after he opened a non-working Rise at the DHS media event.
      In a certain way, this may be a good sign for both CMs and guests.

If he feels the need to brownnose to this degree, he may well be on very thin ice.

Well, we can hope anyway..........

Comment

I met Chapek when he first got the job. He was touring the parks and meeting with CMs. I welcomed him to his new job and said, "Look around you...it's all yours now." He laughed and gave me a hug. So meeting with CMs on a goodwill tour happened once upon a time.
        As for Rebecca Campbell, she toured Galaxy's Edge just as she was getting ready to replace Josh. She was surrounded by a LOT of suits, so I couldn't approach her. I'm guessing those suites came from TDA. But there was a video she made with Josh D'Amoro for his "Out Of The Office" series, which played on the Cast Members website. Together they were quite the funny pair. They even joked about how "If our day jobs don't work out, let's do a talk show together."
        Chapek and Campbell will obviously be looked at here as the devils out to do no good. But I just had to put my 2¢ worth in the comments. While pessimism reigns supreme in the forums, I am optimistic and hopeful for the future of the resort...and my life as a Cast Member.

Let the negative replies begin in 3...2...1
        Last edited by Natalie Price; 12-15-2019, 07:03 PM.

Comment

Why do I have the feeling, that Chapek's visit was to 'evaluate' Candlelight future (AKA deciding on the show's state and/or status).

I'm confused with the role of President of The resort. In my mind, the role sounds like the head manager of the resort. The one who oversees all aspects of the resort. But based on past insider reports, it sounds like its nothing more than the head cheerleader PR worker for the resort. If they do nothing in the TDA building (daily), than who actually runs the resort?!

Comment

Bob Cheapek - "Mr Plastic Salesman "
            Is on very thine Ice........
            IMO
            His number is counting down
            which means there still hope in the parks....."we see"
            Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Originally posted by Natalie Price View Post
              Chapek and Campbell will obviously be looked at here as the devils out to do no good. But I just had to put my 2¢ worth in the comments. While pessimism reigns supreme in the forums, I am optimistic and hopeful for the future of the resort...and my life as a Cast Member.

Reality check: Chapek has cut the employment hours for uncounted numbers of your fellow CMs. He has fired live entertainers. He continues the Iger-era tradition of cutting CM perks. He cut much of what Disney promised its customers for Star Wars Land. He has reduced the quality of your guests' experience -- from slashing the number of parking CMs to cutting back on Christmas decorations -- and at the same time he has raised prices, literally charging your guests more for less. And as DLR attendance and hotel occupancy continue to lag, he b.s.'s the public by insisting that business is "meeting our expectations" -- while he throws a Parks executive under the bus in blame for the drop in attendance, and replaces her with a clueless clone.

And yet, faced with the reality of all the problems that management is causing DLR customers and employees, your only issue -- in post after post -- is that MiceChatters are too negative?

Click image for larger version  Name:	donald-facepalm.jpg Views:	0 Size:	43.4 KB ID:	8609203
              Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 12-15-2019, 09:03 PM.
              "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
              it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
              together with every variety of recreation and fun,
              designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
              - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
              - Bob Chapek

Comment

And There is no indication that Disney
                will restore the features that Chapek slash.............
                That is N
                egative
                Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Super bad sign for the immediate future of DLR is what a bunch of us are thinking. How 'bout you?
                  I'm having flashbacks to when Paul brought Cynthia aboard.

"Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
                  it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
                  together with every variety of recreation and fun,
                  designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
                  - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
                  - Bob Chapek

Comment

Originally posted by Spongeocto4 View Post

I'm confused with the role of President of The resort. In my mind, the role sounds like the head manager of the resort. The one who oversees all aspects of the resort. But based on past insider reports, it sounds like its nothing more than the head cheerleader PR worker for the resort. If they do nothing in the TDA building (daily), than who actually runs the resort?!
                    I got this feeling ........
                    Rebecca Campbell
                    is working out from cardboard boxes ........
                    for she does not want to be there at Disneyland resort
                    and she knows ,her number is almost up .
                    IMO
                    Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Rebecca and Bob Chapek were at Candlelight last weekend, and they went on a goodwill tour around the park together visiting with the CM's participating in Candlelight. Friends I know in Guest Relations who run Candlelight weekend told me this is the first time ever for Chapek to be at Disneyland for Candlelight since he became Chairman. For some reason he decided to show up this year and schmooze his way around the park pretending to like CM's and pretending to be interested in their jobs and their lives - 36 hours after he opened a non-working Rise at the DHS media event.

No one was really buying it from Chapek because we all know his deal already. But Rebecca is the unknown still.

Rebecca has been laying very low since she arrived at DLR and is not seen walking the park or appearing around the property like Josh did constantly when he arrived in early 2018. But the CM's she interacted with on Candlelight weekend got hardly anything out of her except big fake smiles and pretend interest - one CM I know said she was "like a smarmy real estate agent gushing about how fabulous the sliding glass doors in the family room are to potential buyers". Harsh! Chapek came off stiff and creepy and forced like he always does and Rebecca came off just kind of fake and pretending to be having fun in front of Chapek. Why even bother to show up if it's that obvious you don't care? It was like they were on a PR campaign for something.

One of the weird things is how while they were mingling with the Company Choir who form the living Christmas tree for Candlelight they kept using all these creepy HR words for Christmas. They'd say "this special season" or "the holidays" (plural) or "magical celebration" but they just refused to say the word Christmas in a sentence. And the CM's who spend many hours of their own time rehearsing to be in the Candlelight choir each year were sitting there like "Bruh! We're literally going out there to sing traditional hymns about the birth of Jesus - it's okay to say the word Christmas!!!" It was obvious both Rebecca and Chapek didn't know their audience or have an understanding of what Candlelight was.

There were some other examples of Rebecca's weird fakeness - but I have to protect the innocent this close to her rare appearance in the park. She doesn't seem to get it. Like she has no idea what Disneyland even is or how she's supposed to respond to stuff. She seems like a puppet that says her talking points that the Communications team on the 3rd floor of TDA prepared for her and she's just going to do whatever Chapek wants of her. Josh was doing sooooooo much freakin' work to make the CM experience better at DLR and we don't know what's gonna happen to all that. Will Rebecca cancel it all to save money for Chapek or continue Josh's work and take the credit in 2020? She gives off a vibe like she doesn't even know what Disneyland is about or why she should care.

Rebecca seems like she was following Chapek's lead when she was hosting him at the DLR for his first Candlelight. It's disappointing to hear that some PR person is likely telling her how to respond to Cast Members and using over-edited jargon to speak with regular people. At first blush, this seems like a bad sign. She appears, however, to be making some effort to commune at a deeper level than people like Colglazier ever did. I feel like if just one CM could just pull her aside and say "hey, maybe loosen up and just be yourself," we might have a better situation on our hands. Of course, I'm not there and I could be totally wrong. There could be no getting past her fakeness and ignorance about Disneyland's truest purpose, but maybe there's room for hope somewhere.

Also, as an aside, I think this bears mentioning as it has come up elsewhere. I think it's wonderful that Christmas is still honored in the park. As a millennial, I often feel like people are quick to attach themselves to one side of the Christmas vs. Happy Holidays speak. I feel like the majority of people will not be offended and may even like such a wonderful event put on that honors the best parts of a Christmas tradition. Disney would do well to adapt similarly and not try to sanitize itself in an inoffensive way, but just be a genuine representation of the people that work there and the guests they serve. Who knows how things could have been different had they done that from the beginning of the Eisner era.

I met Chapek when he first got the job. He was touring the parks and meeting with CMs. I welcomed him to his new job and said, "Look around you...it's all yours now." He laughed and gave me a hug. So meeting with CMs on a goodwill tour happened once upon a time.
                      As for Rebecca Campbell, she toured Galaxy's Edge just as she was getting ready to replace Josh. She was surrounded by a LOT of suits, so I couldn't approach her. I'm guessing those suites came from TDA. But there was a video she made with Josh D'Amoro for his "Out Of The Office" series, which played on the Cast Members website. Together they were quite the funny pair. They even joked about how "If our day jobs don't work out, let's do a talk show together."
                      From the sound of things, Rebecca isn't wholly a hero or villain yet. If she takes her cues from Josh, there's no doubt that she could very much go on to do great things at Disneyland to improve the experience for Cast Members and guests. We just need to hope that she doesn't get too much of Burbank breathing down her neck to prevent her from being real and understanding what's actually happening on the ground.

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post

Reality check: Chapek has cut the employment hours for uncounted numbers of your fellow CMs. He has fired live entertainers. He continues the Iger-era tradition of cutting CM perks. He cut much of what Disney promised its customers for Star Wars Land. He has reduced the quality of your guests' experience -- from slashing the number of parking CMs to cutting back on Christmas decorations -- and at the same time he has raised prices, literally charging your guests more for less. And as DLR attendance and hotel occupancy continue to lag, he b.s.'s the public by insisting that business is "meeting our expectations" -- while he throws a Parks executive under the bus in blame for the drop in attendance, and replaces her with a clueless clone.

And yet, faced with the reality of all the problems that management is causing DLR customers and employees, your only issue -- in post after post -- is that MiceChatters are too negative?

Click image for larger version Name:	donald-facepalm.jpg Views:	0 Size:	43.4 KB ID:	8609203
                      Here here. It is unfortunate that people are often blinded to the truth because of their own anecdotal experience, but alas so goes human nature.

Perhaps that is the strategy behind Chapek's newfound charm offensive? Give you a big hug so you can't see that his hands are holding the scissors that cut your hours/job.

Comment

Wow you got a corporate exec to hug you that is impressive. For the most part they are super afraid to show too much emotion for fear of being sued etc. At least your story proves he has a heart somewhere!!!! His expressions in the FB pictures for the candlelight would suggest otherwise as he looks emotionless.

DL 55th BDAY trip report
                        NYE 2011 trip report
                        Leap year 24 hour report
                        New DCA trip report
                        NYE 2012
                        HKDL trip report

Comment

Hi, Natalie, I love this anecdote, but aren't you worried that it is personally identifying your post for Disney management? I don't want you to get in trouble over this.
                          Dumbo rats: the other lovable rodents.

Comment

Originally posted by biggsworth View Post

Wow you got a corporate exec to hug you that is impressive. For the most part they are super afraid to show too much emotion for fear of being sued etc. At least your story proves he has a heart somewhere!!!! His expressions in the FB pictures for the candlelight would suggest otherwise as he looks emotionless.
                            Being on the inside of this particular industry - I’m sorry I just find it so very hard to believe. Weird how some of you forgot about Lassiter ?? Do any of you really really think Chapek - in today’s environment - would even date touch yet even hug a random employee????

??

Really. And yes - it’s my opinion to not believe this story at all. It’s so contrived and strictly towing her narrative that everything is roses at the Disneyland Resort and the rest of us are - pun intended “negative Natalie’s” . Let us not forget the sheer angst this same poster exhibited directed at Passholders... Funny how forgiving this poster is for Chapek and the other suits who are behind the demise of QUALITY of that most of us get so expressive about. I don’t buy this story one bit. Sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Disneyidol View Post

Being on the inside of this particular industry - I’m sorry I just find it so very hard to believe. Weird how some of you forgot about Lassiter ?? Do any of you really really think Chapek - in today’s environment - would even date touch yet even hug a random employee????

??

Really. And yes - it’s my opinion to not believe this story at all. It’s so contrived and strictly towing her narrative that everything is roses at the Disneyland Resort and the rest of us are - pun intended “negative Natalie’s” . Let us not forget the sheer angst this same poster exhibited directed at Passholders... Funny how forgiving this poster is for Chapek and the other suits who are behind the demise of QUALITY of that most of us get so expressive about. I don’t buy this story one bit. Sorry.
                              I definitely remember what happened with John Lasseter which is why I am shocked Bob would even risk it at this point.

DL 55th BDAY trip report
                              NYE 2011 trip report
                              Leap year 24 hour report
                              New DCA trip report
                              NYE 2012
                              HKDL trip report

Comment

Rebecca Campbell sounds like a female version of Chapek. These two very well may represent the future of Disney. Hopefully the Rise of Skywalker tanks and Wall street forces a shake of Disney's executive ranks.

Comment

Originally posted by tarheelalum View Post
                                  Rebecca Campbell sounds like a female version of Chapek. These two very well may represent the future of Disney. Hopefully the Rise of Skywalker tanks and Wall street forces a shake of Disney's executive ranks.

Love see a
                                  shake up with the
                                  Disney Executives ...for they forgot people that work them, and the guests they serve.

Click image for larger version  Name:	donald-facepalm.jpg Views:	0 Size:	43.4 KB ID:	8609203
                                  It's SAD Indeed true .... Negative ... IMO

Last edited by Eagleman; 12-16-2019, 05:04 PM.
                                  Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Originally posted by biggsworth View Post

I definitely remember what happened with John Lasseter which is why I am shocked Bob would even risk it at this point.
                                    Exactly - that’s bc - odds are in my favor that at all levels of ABC/DISNEY there are VERY strict rules of “touching” any employee let alone a total stranger — cast member at one of their parks. PERIOD. It did not happen.

Furthermore - the fact that said “cast member” openly bragged about it on a PUBLIC forum either could cause dangerous life lasting scrutiny against Chapek and thwart his elevation to CEO - not to mention legal recourses... ”Natalie” just outed Chapek for possible sexual harassment allegations — but folks most of us know this incident likely didn’t even occur....

Comment

There is a hug that's more of an embrace. That's a no-no. Then there's the friendly one that guys do; one hand on the shoulder and a simple tug.
                                      Attached Files

Comment

There is a hug that's more of an embrace. That's a no-no. Then there's the friendly one that guys do; one hand on the shoulder and a simple tug.
                                        Not in the corporate world there isn't.

DL 55th BDAY trip report
                                        NYE 2011 trip report
                                        Leap year 24 hour report
                                        New DCA trip report
                                        NYE 2012
                                        HKDL trip report

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X