Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Christmas Eve - How bad does the weather have to be to impact entertainment?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] Christmas Eve - How bad does the weather have to be to impact entertainment?

Hello! Longtime lurker and former APer who packed up and moved to the East Coast! I am returning to SoCal and will be making a trip to Disneyland 12/24. However, the weather forecast is making me a little nervous! As of now, there is a 40% chance of showers throughout the day and evening. So I had a few questions that I hope the locals can help with:
    1. For the parade: I assume the parade would continue if the route isn't too wet and there is only a light shower at parade time. Is this true? What if the first parade is cancelled, would they ever run the second performance? I would assume not since they usually use the second to return the floats to storage (unless that's not a hard rule!)
    2. For the fireworks: I also assume that, as long as winds aren't heavy and there is no lightning detected, the fireworks can continue, even if there is a light shower going on. Or do the fireworks get cancelled altogether if there is a shower? Would they still do the snow at the end (not sure how soap bubbles would work in the rain)?

Trying to understand what (if anything) will happen if the forecast holds true! Thank you all Please keep your fingers and toes crossed for me!

Don't know the answer to your first question, or whether rain effects the snow. But with regard to the fireworks rain will not cancel the show but high winds will. Even if it appears calm at ground level it can be quite windy just a few feet higher up. I live not far from Disneyland on a hill at about 600 feet elevation and many times it will be calm at the bottom of the hill but quite windy at my house. Rain itself will not cancel a show but due to the local geography (the rain blows in from the ocean just 15 miles away with no mountains in the way) it is rare if there is no wind involved. So long story short worry more about the wind, and if it is raining it is likely the show will be cancelled, but due to the accompanying winds and not to the rain itself.

As for lightning, this would cancel a show but compared to Florida lightning is rare in Southern California, and even then the concern would be the winds and not necessarily the storm itself.

Comment

Originally posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
      Don't know the answer to your first question, or whether rain effects the snow. But with regard to the fireworks rain will not cancel the show but high winds will. Even if it appears calm at ground level it can be quite windy just a few feet higher up. I live not far from Disneyland on a hill at about 600 feet elevation and many times it will be calm at the bottom of the hill but quite windy at my house. Rain itself will not cancel a show but due to the local geography (the rain blows in from the ocean just 15 miles away with no mountains in the way) it is rare if there is no wind involved. So long story short worry more about the wind, and if it is raining it is likely the show will be cancelled, but due to the accompanying winds and not to the rain itself.

As for lightning, this would cancel a show but compared to Florida lightning is rare in Southern California, and even then the concern would be the winds and not necessarily the storm itself.
      Ahhh that makes sense! Thank you for taking the time to lay it all out. In that case, I am going to prepare for an iffy parade and fireworks likely not happening. Wish me luck! I haven't been to Disneyland in years, so needless to say, I'm a little bummed that the trip might not be "perfect". Oh well, a rainy day at Disneyland is better than a rainy day back home!

Comment

A castmember , have share to me........
        As Fireworks goes....the big concern of weather is the winds
        which this time of year we get a lot....
        another concern is also fogy nights......they may still have the fireworks
        but it one blare and ugly show , and that could happen around New Year.
        Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

I was there the past weekend and it rained in the morning/afternoon but the fireworks and parades both took place (although it wasn't raining when they happened).

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
          Working...
          X