X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DisneyFunGuy
    • Jan 2005

[Question] Disney VHS Tapes

I'm not sure exactly where to post this particular article, so if it needs to go elsewhere, please feel free to move it accordingly.

I have a lot of old Disney animated films (in good condition) under VHS, and I wanted to sell what I have and see if I could get any money from them.

I keep hearing/reading that some can be worth "big bucks", so I thought I'd reach out to anyone who might be able to help me and lend some advice.

Thank you for any input you can give.

DISNEYLAND IS YOUR LAND
  • Nesboy43
    MiceChatter
    • Aug 2010

So those articles that claim the tapes are worth big money are bogus. They talk about "black diamond" releases. There are tens and millions of these tapes out there and each variant of each film only goes for either pennies or 1-3 dollars a piece. Sorry to say that you are better off keeping these as fun memories.

Those articles' "evidence" was people listing tapes on ebay with really high buy it now prices, not the actual prices they are selling for.

Comment

• Walt Fan
      7/17/2005 I was there!
      • Feb 2007

Yep, the VHS tape "big bucks" days are over. Actually for about 15 years now, they really haven't ben worth anything. Disney+ just put a dagger into it as well.
      "Fantasy, if it's really convincing, can't become dated, for the simple reason that it represents a flight into a dimension that lies beyond the reach of time" Walt Disney

Comment

• Starcade
        Old Skateboarder

• May 2017

I agree with those above, those articles are bogus. You can look on Ebay and see the real price. I have Box Sets of Pinocchio and Fantasia that someone told me were worth like $500 each...nope more like $20 each. ( I paid like $50 when they were released in the 90's )
        Disneyland Fan since the 70's

Comment

• AlohaStitch
          "Always On The Move..."
          • Jun 2005

We inherited a huge Disney VHS collection and added it to our already huge VHS Disney collection. Between the two we had every release. We had it appraised by a Disney appraiser and the value was almost nothing. So we took all the tapes, and a brand new still in the box player and donated them all to our local childrenet 's hospital. They were beyond estatic to get them. So you mighr want to talk around and see if you can donate the tapes and the player.
          Originally posted by migo
          I poop with joy!
          Best Quote...EVER!!!

Member of the Black Cat Owners Association #6

Comment

• DisneyFunGuy
            • Jan 2005

Thank you, everyone, for your input. I had a feeling it was too good to be true about the "big bucks".

I think I'll just donate them to CHOC. I don't want to save them anymore, because they're just collecting dust on my shelf.

Thanks again!
            DISNEYLAND IS YOUR LAND

Comment

• Zorro
              Fox so cunning and free!
              • Sep 2015

I have a handful of Disney VHS tapes that I'm holding onto for sentimental reasons (ie childhood memories). Monetary value? Most likely negligible in today's market.

DVDs and blu-rays on the other hand? You'd have to pry them from my cold, dead hands (especially my complete set of WDTs). I even still have some of the very early Disney DVDs where the disc's artwork was marketed as a special feature!

Comment

• Eagleman
                Lord of the Sky

• Oct 2008

Originally posted by DisneyFunGuy View Post
                Thank you, everyone, for your input. I had a feeling it was too good to be true about the "big bucks".

I think I'll just donate them to CHOC. I don't want to save them anymore, because they're just collecting dust on my shelf.

Thanks again!
                I think that a GREAT Ideal
                let others get enjoyment out them ...Like special Children
                Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

• Mr Wiggins

• Jan 2005

Originally posted by Zorro View Post
                  I have a handful of Disney VHS tapes that I'm holding onto for sentimental reasons (ie childhood memories). Monetary value? Most likely negligible in today's market.
                  Ditto my collection of betas (in the early 80s I got the first beta release of Alice in Wonderland at the Emporium -- $98!) and LaserDiscs (including Song of the South).

"Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
                  it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
                  together with every variety of recreation and fun,
                  designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
                  - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
                  - Bob Chapek

Comment

• Eagleman
                    Lord of the Sky

• Oct 2008

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post

Ditto my collection of betas (in the early 80s I got the first beta release of Alice in Wonderland at the Emporium -- $98!) and LaserDiscs (including Song of the South).
                    I recall "The Betas"
                    I glad I never got one......they did not last long
                    It was not long after the
                    Betas came out that
                    VHS tapes came into the market.......

Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

• biggsworth
                      MiceChatter
                      • Apr 2009

That's epic you have Song of the South on laser disc lol
                      These are some of my favorite TRs I have posted

DL 55th BDAY trip report
                      My company had a special night at the park
                      WdW trip report with WWoHP
                      NYE 2011 trip report
                      Mice Chat 7th anniversary
                      Leap year 24 hour report
                      New DCA trip report
                      NYE 2012
                      HKDL trip report

Comment

• Eagleman
                        Lord of the Sky

• Oct 2008

Originally posted by biggsworth View Post

That's epic you have Song of the South on laser disc lol
                        and
                        heroic elements ,that
                        he got it at Disneyland - Emporium
                        lol

Last edited by Eagleman; 12-17-2019, 10:01 PM.
                        Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

• Theme_Park_Insider
                          New MiceChatter
                          • Aug 2019

Another thing to consider is degradation of tape media - they don't last. Over time, the quality will get worse, so it's not worth keeping unless you want to have a nostalgia museum.

Comment

• bamato
                            DLR Enthusiast
                            • Nov 2008

That laserdisc probably has a decent monetary value. Very cool nonetheless.
                            -Brian

Comment

• JoFi
                              HappyPlacer
                              • Sep 2016

Anyone remember videodiscs? (Not laserdiscs)

I wish I could find a working player - I actually have scary tales vol 3 on videodisc, and I can't find that anywhere, lol. Not worried about monetary value, but sure would like to watch that one again. I did see a few of the cartoons on Disney+...so I have access again, thankfully.

Comment

• merlinjones
                                Minion
                                • Jan 2005

The VHS tapes that are worth more money are not the usual suspects but the rare live-action films and Wonderful World of Disney TV episodes that were never (or only in limited quantities) released on DVD such as The Horsemasters, Dr. Syn Alias the Scarecrow (just now released on Blu-Ray), The Prince and the Pauper (62), The Plausible Impossible, Ludwig Von Drake and Ranger Woodlore hosted shows, uncut cartoons, etc., etc. -- and of course legit Song of the South in any format. Once more of these make it to Disney+ or Disney Movie Club, prices will come down, I imagine. Look at the reseller prices on Amazon.
                                “I love the nostalgic myself. I hope we never lose some of the things of the past.” -- Walt Disney

Comment

• Mr Wiggins

• Jan 2005

Originally posted by JoFi View Post
                                  Anyone remember videodiscs? (Not laserdiscs)

I wish I could find a working player - I actually have scary tales vol 3 on videodisc, and I can't find that anywhere, lol. Not worried about monetary value, but sure would like to watch that one again. I did see a few of the cartoons on Disney+...so I have access again, thankfully.
                                  Yup! I've seen players (Pioneer multi-format decks and RCA SelectaVision players) on ebay for under $200.
                                  "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
                                  it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
                                  together with every variety of recreation and fun,
                                  designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
                                  - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
                                  - Bob Chapek

Comment

• Zorro
                                    Fox so cunning and free!
                                    • Sep 2015

Originally posted by merlinjones View Post
                                    The VHS tapes that are worth more money are not the usual suspects but the rare live-action films and Wonderful World of Disney TV episodes that were never (or only in limited quantities) released on DVD such as The Horsemasters, Dr. Syn Alias the Scarecrow (just now released on Blu-Ray), The Prince and the Pauper (62), The Plausible Impossible, Ludwig Von Drake and Ranger Woodlore hosted shows, uncut cartoons, etc., etc. -- and of course legit Song of the South in any format. Once more of these make it to Disney+ or Disney Movie Club, prices will come down, I imagine. Look at the reseller prices on Amazon.
                                    As of right now, "The Plausible Impossible" is one of only two Wonderful World of Disney episodes available on Disney+. Oddly enough, given how beloved it is, "From All of Us to All of You" has never been given a DVD release nor is it available for streaming as far as I know. My clamshell copy is one of the few VHS tapes I've retained. It has been frustrating for us Disney collectors. I've been hoping that Disney+ will go deep into the vaults, but they haven't really put up anything yet that goes beyond what was released on DVD. I'm still hoping.
                                    Last edited by Zorro; 12-18-2019, 09:43 PM.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                    Working...
                                    X