ROTR and the NAMM show - will this be a parking nightmare?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DisneyIPresume
    Beach Expert
    • Sep 2006

ROTR and the NAMM show - will this be a parking nightmare?

I am looking forward to attending next month’s NAMM show at the convention center. However I notice this coincides with the grand opening of ROTR. I know the new parking structure will help but are we looking at a parking nightmare for that weekend? Historically the NAMM show has been the largest convention at the Anaheim Convention Center. Not sure if it still is but to give perspective it has to be at least 2 to 3 times bigger than D23. Any discussion is welcome as I want to plan out that weekend. Thanks!
  • Starcade
    Old Skateboarder

• May 2017

We've gone in the past during this weekend and did not notice much of an increase in crowds or parking ( within Disneys lot's ) There is a higher increase in spotting Rock Stars this weekend as several will stop by the parks during their visits.

Now the RotR traffic that is a wild card historically, I would guess it will be packed for the new ride but who knows in the end after the tepid increase during the lands opening.
    Disneyland Fan since the 70's

Comment

• BECCA1007
      New MiceChatter
      • Mar 2014

Do not attempt to park in Toy Story... otherwise I think you will be fine.

Comment

• Eagleman
        Lord of the Sky

• Oct 2008

When the Anaheim Convention Center
        have any thing going on.........the whole area around Disneyland
        Freeway -Streets become a mess........specially the parking.
        One needs to give more time .......to Try not go into circles
        as one poster give a good suggestion....... Do not attempt to park in Toy Story Parking !
        Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

• WaltDisney'sAlec
          Happily Ridiculous
          • Dec 2011

Originally posted by BECCA1007 View Post
          Do not attempt to park in Toy Story... otherwise I think you will be fine.
          Do you really think it will be that bad? I was planning on visiting for the grand opening of RotR, but would have to park in Toy Story lot just to guarantee electric charging for my car.

I would assume they would only been impacted if they filled up Mickey & Friends + Pixar Pals + Toy Story, since they wouldn't be able to rely on convention parking. (Angel Stadium shuttle anyone?)

Comment

• CM08
            New MiceChatter
            • Apr 2008

Honestly no one will be able to answer your question. IMO- I think everything will fill up fast by 12noon or prior the "Disneyland Parking is FULL" signs lit up around Anaheim, but ROTR has never been done before so who knows.

My main concern is that NO Annual Pass is blocked out... compared to when SWGE opened almost all passes were blocked except highest level.
            Last edited by CM08; 12-18-2019, 09:29 AM.

Comment

• TLand2055
              New MiceChatter
              • Sep 2019

I would expect the crowds to be roughly the same as Orlando's opening, the lack of AP blockouts balancing DL's not being the "first". NAMM could definitely increase that though.

Comment

• BECCA1007
                New MiceChatter
                • Mar 2014

Originally posted by WaltDisney'sAlec View Post

Do you really think it will be that bad? I was planning on visiting for the grand opening of RotR, but would have to park in Toy Story lot just to guarantee electric charging for my car.

I would assume they would only been impacted if they filled up Mickey & Friends + Pixar Pals + Toy Story, since they wouldn't be able to rely on convention parking. (Angel Stadium shuttle anyone?)
                Last time I was there at that time of year I parked in Toy Story... because of the huge amount of convention attendees many were parking in the Toy Story lot and walking to the convention, my friends that have gone to NAMM in the past have said that it is often the closest and cheapest parking since its a set price and not variable like the lots that cater to the convention traffic. It was a nightmare to exit the lot as I ended up trying to leave as thousands of NAMM attendees left the convention center at the same time.

Comment

• Eagleman
                  Lord of the Sky

• Oct 2008

I do not like any Events at the
                  Anaheim Convention Center.
                  The whole area becomes a mess......
                  Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

• WaltDisney'sAlec
                    Happily Ridiculous
                    • Dec 2011

Originally posted by BECCA1007 View Post

Last time I was there at that time of year I parked in Toy Story... because of the huge amount of convention attendees many were parking in the Toy Story lot and walking to the convention, my friends that have gone to NAMM in the past have said that it is often the closest and cheapest parking since its a set price and not variable like the lots that cater to the convention traffic. It was a nightmare to exit the lot as I ended up trying to leave as thousands of NAMM attendees left the convention center at the same time.
                    Yikes, good to know. Thank you for the heads up.

Comment

• Disneyidol
                      MiceChatter
                      • Jan 2015

This particular weekend will be more of a nightmare then people know. NAMM - I’m attending - will have 20-30k people there already. I don’t know about a parking nightmare but guaranteed traffic and guest nightmare at the parks..

Comment

• tarheelalum
                        Mice chatter
                        • Apr 2015

Very few people who go to NAMM also go to Disneyland. But people who are getting a hotel that weekend will pay through the nose for it.

Comment

• Eagleman
                          Lord of the Sky

• Oct 2008

Originally posted by tarheelalum View Post
                          Very few people who go to NAMM also go to Disneyland. But people who are getting a hotel that weekend will pay through the nose for it.
                          You count on it........Hotel price does go up !
                          Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

• DisneyIPresume
                            Beach Expert
                            • Sep 2006

The reason I asked this question is because last year was my first year attending NAMM. I am a local, and I had a personal emergency come up so I was not able to fully attend as much as I would have liked to. So I am definitely looking forward to be attending again in January.

Last year, I could not attend on Friday and I was not able to get to the show until 4 pm on Saturday. I knew the show closed at 6 and I was thinking/chancing it that parking would be available onsite or somewhere nearby but when I got there cars were being diverted to Angel Stadium. I figured by the time I parked, boarded a shuttle and got to the convention center it would be at least 5 and with an hour left to closing it would not be worth it. So the next day I got there early and parked in Toy Story and enjoyed a really good day. Now, from reading these posts, it appears that parking in Toy Story may not be advisable. Other than the hordes of NAMM attendees leaving the show en masse and causing issues is there another reason it may not be a good idea to park there?

I am thinking they will be offering Angel Stadium again and I have no problem parking there if I have to. But maybe this will not be an issue at all with the new parking structure? In any case I plan on getting there early so that I can enjoy my day there as much as I can.

Comment

• tarheelalum
                              Mice chatter
                              • Apr 2015

I went back in 2015 and my god that place got crowded. Try to get there early on the first day so you can look at stuff without people bumping into you. Also bring ear plugs if you plan on spending all day. It gets really loud. But it is a good time if you love gear.

Comment

• loungefly97
                                MiceChatter
                                • May 2011

I attended NAMM from 1999-2012 and got my first annual pass in 2009. Parking was never a problem
                                for NAMM if that’s your concern, though I know the Resort is more crowded now than it was in 2012. A lot of attendees and exhibitors are parked at hotels because they are staying all weekend.

I’ve never noticed it, since I stopped working music retail, making a huge difference in Resort attendance.

ROTR adds an interesting twist. The NAMM Show used to open at 10am, so if that’s still true, hopefully the craziness of getting to the Resort very early for a boarding group (assuming they use this, as the have the tech in Anaheim) is over by the time you’d arrive to park for NAMM. I’m guessing all boarding groups would be full by then.

Comment

• Ortizmo2000
                                  Greetings, Program!
                                  • Jan 2005

All streets around the area will be jammed solid on the first day of NAMM until the last. I've lived in the area for decades and this has always been the case. The NAMM show not only draws the industry folks (for whom the show is solely for) but also the general public who still try to get in regardless, increasing the car count. Lines to get floor credentials are around the block and to top that off, many hotel guests will actually call for Uber's and Lyft's to take them there rather than walk which only adds to the traffic. APD usually closes turn lanes at Katella and West, and directs traffic down Orangewood (which is PSYCHOTIC, but that's what they do).

With ROTR opening at the same time........I just......I just don't have the words.
                                  "The old man's gonna knock on the sky. Listen to the sound."

AP'er since 2004. Yup.....I'm one of THEM.

Comment

• Eagleman
                                    Lord of the Sky

• Oct 2008

Originally posted by Ortizmo2000 View Post
                                    All streets around the area will be jammed solid on the first day of NAMM until the last. I've lived in the area for decades and this has always been the case. The NAMM show not only draws the industry folks (for whom the show is solely for) but also the general public who still try to get in regardless, increasing the car count. Lines to get floor credentials are around the block and to top that off, many hotel guests will actually call for Uber's and Lyft's to take them there rather than walk which only adds to the traffic. APD usually closes turn lanes at Katella and West, and directs traffic down Orangewood (which is PSYCHOTIC, but that's what they do).

With ROTR opening at the same time........I just......I just don't have the words.
                                    "MESSY"
                                    Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

• Ortizmo2000
                                      Greetings, Program!
                                      • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Eagleman View Post

"MESSY"
                                      Doesn't seem enough. I'm not exaggerating. Harbor, Katella, West, Orangewood, Ball, The 5. Like clogged arteries.
                                      "The old man's gonna knock on the sky. Listen to the sound."

AP'er since 2004. Yup.....I'm one of THEM.

Comment

• Disneyidol
                                        MiceChatter
                                        • Jan 2015

Originally posted by tarheelalum View Post
                                        You mean that’s your opinion. The fact is — I for one am a AP’r - I know throngs of people in the music industry that either get signed in that weekend, are comp’d by labels, are comp’d by retailers, and so on and so on.

It fair to say your post could say IMO... right?

Why o why would NAMM attendees NOT go to Disneyland while staying at ANY Anaheim hotel especially when staying here. Like... Whaaaaat? Is there some plague impeding them from going?

Sorry. It’s just plain illogical and nonsensical. Plenty of attendees make a family trip out of coming to NAMM and obviously and purposefully include a trip to Disneyland as part of their plans. The major opening of the most important new attraction at DLP will only entice more. That’s a no brainer

Last years show had over 100,000 attendees. So “very few” of them landed at the DLR. oh ok 👌🏼

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X