Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why is Disneyland Railroad only running 1 or 2 trains in afternoon and evening?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why is Disneyland Railroad only running 1 or 2 trains in afternoon and evening?

It appears that they remove trains in the afternoon and evening which causes 30-45+ minute waits to board a train. Why on earth is DL doing this especial during peak crowd weeks?

Originally posted by CAspace View Post
    It appears that they remove trains in the afternoon and evening which causes 30-45+ minute waits to board a train. Why on earth is DL doing this especial during peak crowd weeks?
    They're doing it to increase profits -- the same reason they cut the number of in-service vehicles on other rides, cut CM hours, cut live entertainment, cut janitorial, cut parking lot attendants, cut the number open cash register positions, cut a huge chunk of what they had promised for Star Wars Land, and raised prices across the board.
    "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
    it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
    together with every variety of recreation and fun,
    designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
    - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
    - Bob Chapek

Comment

And as long as people continue to pack the parks, the cuts will get worse and worse while prices will go higher and higher.

The sad part is that when people are finally sick of it and stop coming, the individuals who caused it will be long gone and enjoying the millions that they ripped off the backs of those who had no choice.

Then it'll be someone else problem.......

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post

They're doing it to increase profits -- the same reason they cut the number of in-service vehicles on other rides, cut CM hours, cut live entertainment, cut janitorial, cut parking lot attendants, cut the number open cash register positions, cut a huge chunk of what they had promised for Star Wars Land, and raised prices across the board.
        BANG........BINGO..........
        Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Once, when Walt saw that they were running only one train, he demanded that at least two trains be running at all times. Sadly, it appears yet another Walt edict has bit the dust.

Each train is manned by two union operating engineers. What to do they make? $25 - $30 an hour, if not more? Then you have two regular CMs as conductors. What do they make? $10 - $15 an hour? Then there's the fuel--biodiesel, consumed at a rate of about 12 - 14 gallons per hour. I don't know what the price for biodiesel is in CA. Maybe $4/gallon? So add it up: to run a single train for 12 hours, the costs break down like this:

Engine Crew: About $600
          Conductors: About $360
          Fuel: About $672

For a total of about $1,632.

This doesn't count the necessary maintenance crew in the roundhouse, relief crews, the laborers who maintain the track, and the lubrication oil and grease, and spare parts the engine requires - which are not cheap. There is no Pep Boys for steam locomotive parts.

So, you could probably round that up to about $2,000 saved per day by not operating a single train. Times 365 = $730,000!

Comment

Originally posted by Right Down Broadway View Post
            So, you could probably round that up to about $2,000 saved per day by not operating a single train. Times 365 = $730,000!
            Add insurance and Disney's ginormous overhead, and it's easily north of a million a year.

"Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
            it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
            together with every variety of recreation and fun,
            designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
            - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
            - Bob Chapek

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post

Add insurance and Disney's ginormous overhead, and it's easily north of a million a year.
              Exactly! Each of those steam locomotives is a potential bomb on wheels should the crew be poorly trained or inattentive. It ain't cheap to insure them.

Comment

Any Money Disney save .....it's
                "Increase Profits"
                Specially on days ,when the parks is pack
                and Di$ney making top dollars on Admission
                Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

This thread is Micechat at its best, & I imagine Al Lutz will be proud yet sad if he reads it.

THANK YOU, CAspace, Mr. Wiggins, Micromind, Eagleman, and Right Down Broadway!

Comment

Originally posted by CAspace View Post
                    Is this first person info, or based on the app only? It seems to me that it was so busy yesterday (190 Indy, 120 SW, 140 Matterhorn, 95 BTM, 150 MF, 180 SM, etc.) that the long wait may have been due to the trains being completely full, and leaving people unable to board at the stations.

"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money." - ​Walt Disney

Comment

Originally posted by jcruise86 View Post
                      This thread is Micechat at its best, & I imagine Al Lutz will be proud yet sad if he reads it.

Thanks Jcruise86
                      Sure AL ,feel the same , with your comments to the board.......
                      AL LUTZ is the reason , I join Mice Chat ,many , many years ago !
                      Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

I miss Al Lutz!

And yes definitely should be running more trains, especially in high seasons like this.

Comment

I've been visiting fairly frequently for the past two months but blocked out for Christmas. From what I can tell, the railroad was still recovering from one train breaking an axle while two others were being refurbished. Throughout November, I believe only 1 (or perhaps 2) trains were running. Even on low-crowd days, every train station showed a wait of about 25 minutes.

I went on a weekday in December and found that the wait had gone back down to its typical 5 minutes, though I don't know how many trains they had running. it was a light crowd day, but about the same as those days in November. I suspect they had one more train running then than they did when during my November visits.

That still might not be enough for the busiest week of the year at Disneyland, though. Still, the railroad is definitely not operating at max capacity. They really need 4 trains running if they even think there's a chance of the park hitting capacity.

Comment

Same reason you see a Monorail train go by only once every 3 days or so.

Comment

Originally posted by WaltDisney'sAlec View Post
                              From what I can tell, the railroad was still recovering from one train breaking an axle while two others were being refurbished.
                              The Kimball's axle broke in August, and was quickly repaired. Which of the other engines are out? The Ripley I know of. What's the other one?

Knowing several members of the Roundhouse crew, including leads, it's hard for me to imagine these issues are stemming from anything they are doing--it's gotta be coming from above them. The reason the Ward Kimball was brought in from the beginning was to allow more train usage--three or four trains could routinely be operating, with at least one engine always cycled out for maintenance. As others have suggested, this may indeed be more of an upper-management decision.

Comment

It's Call - Cut Back and yes that
                                upper-management decision.
                                Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Originally posted by micromind View Post
                                  The sad part is that when people are finally sick of it and stop coming.......
                                  We keep talking about this tipping point, which seems forever elusive.

Comment

IMO=
                                    The whole RESORT definitely not operating at max capacity !
                                    and show it wear and tear.......But as long Iger getting his high pay, as well his BONUS.
                                    that going be his MO!
                                    Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Originally posted by Right Down Broadway View Post
                                      We keep talking about this tipping point, which seems forever elusive.
                                      I agree.

I thought it was hit a few times in the last few years but it hasn't actually been hit yet......yet.......

Comment

Originally posted by jcruise86 View Post

My thoughts exactly. Straight to derailing a thread. It's a miracle the obligatory "Chapek cheaping out the parks" or some variation of it wasn't added also.
                                        "And yes, we implore EVERYBODY to follow the park rules. Having off-ride footage is great, but any still photo's or video's taken ON the coasters at SFMM are strictly against the rules. They are there for your (and everybody's) safety." "Six Flags doesn't allow ANY loose articles on their coasters, and they don't allow video taping on their coasters. " BUT, "‚Äč This is not true. Six Flags does not allow ANY On-Ride video or pictures on the rides. The ONLY way is if you get explicit permission from Park Management." ???

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X