Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Next price increase?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Next price increase?

    It's that time of year. I want to buy some passes before prices go up with some gift cards I got for Christmas. However, I learned that you cannot purchase passes online with gift cards. You can only use the gift cards at the ticket booth. I really don't want to go down tomorrow (12/31) as I expect it to be a nightmare. But I'm afraid they will raise prices the first weekend in January, (1/4 or 1/5). Anyone have any actionable info on when the price increase might happen?
    Last edited by hbdad; 12-30-2019, 08:15 PM.

  • #2
    LA Times reported last year's price increase took effect the first Sunday in January. Assuming they keep the same schedule, you should be safe to buy as late as January 5th.

    With that said, this was all in anticipation of Galaxy's Edge needing Boarding Groups just to enter the land this summer because it was going to be such a resounding success. That didn't happen, and Iger fielded a question on a recent earnings call asking how long Disney can expect to continue raising prices while seeing attendance increase.

    The Christmas week notwithstanding, they may be approaching their limit. If you ask me, we'll see price increases, just not as drastic as before. If it were up to me, Disney should keep them steady and just raise the prices for "high-demand" days like the week of Christmas.

    I have friends that are waiting to buy a pass, though. I'm telling them to act sooner rather than later, but we'll see what happens.

    Comment


    • #3
      We always renew the first week in January for this very reason. It gives us a full year delay on each price increase.

      One thing I did find interesting was last year we got ZERO notification about our AP coming to an end not anything in the mail nor via email etc. where as previous years we got a nice letter and I received an email both having some sort of incentive such as waiving the sign up fee or giving an extra month. This year however I have gotten an email everyday reminding my of the remaining days on my AP counting me down to ensure I know to renew. Does anyone know if they are waiving the downpayment during renewal or rolling it into your monthly payment like had done in previous years?

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by hbdad View Post
        It's that time of year. I want to buy some passes before prices go up with some gift cards I got for Christmas. However, I learned that you cannot purchase passes online with gift cards. You can only use the gift cards at the ticket booth. I really don't want to go down tomorrow (12/31) as I expect it to be a nightmare. But I'm afraid they will raise prices the first weekend in January, (1/4 or 1/5). Anyone have any actionable info on when the price increase might happen?
        I purchased my family's passes online using gift cards. There was a limit to the number of gift cards I could use in one transaction so I had to combine gift cards at disneygiftcard.com

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by kastfan View Post

          I purchased my family's passes online using gift cards. There was a limit to the number of gift cards I could use in one transaction so I had to combine gift cards at disneygiftcard.com
          Interesting. When I was on the DL website, there was only a space for my credit card, no GC option. Plus when I called customer service, they said can't do GC online. I will look again. Maybe because I was trying to take advantage of the monthly payment plan. Did you purchase your passes in full online?

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by hbdad View Post

            Interesting. When I was on the DL website, there was only a space for my credit card, no GC option. Plus when I called customer service, they said can't do GC online. I will look again. Maybe because I was trying to take advantage of the monthly payment plan. Did you purchase your passes in full online?
            Yes, we paid in full online

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by hbdad View Post

              Interesting. When I was on the DL website, there was only a space for my credit card, no GC option. Plus when I called customer service, they said can't do GC online. I will look again. Maybe because I was trying to take advantage of the monthly payment plan. Did you purchase your passes in full online?
              It’s because you were doing the monthly payment plan.

              Comment


              • #8
                I have a feeling it will be before ROTR opens. They will want to get every last dollar from people wanting to see it. Just my opinion.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Just in case... I just purchased our APs online, though we don't intend to visit DLR until Spring.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I called the Disneyland AP number before buying online. I asked them if my pass would be expire 1 year from date of purchase or 1 year from first use. They said from first use. Last night I was going to purchase 4 flex passes one at a time because of the gift card thing. After purchasing the first pass, my account showed that it will expire in 1/1/21. Before buying anymore passes I called the AP number again. The lady said all passes expire 1 year from first use EXCEPT the flex pass. I told her no one said that when I called the first time. Now I have to go to the ticket window at DL and throw myself at their mercy to change the expiration date to first use. I was going to use my pass a few weeks from now, but in fear of a price increase after this weekend, I'll now be going tomorrow and fight the crowds.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by hbdad View Post
                      I called the Disneyland AP number before buying online. I asked them if my pass would be expire 1 year from date of purchase or 1 year from first use. They said from first use. Last night I was going to purchase 4 flex passes one at a time because of the gift card thing. After purchasing the first pass, my account showed that it will expire in 1/1/21. Before buying anymore passes I called the AP number again. The lady said all passes expire 1 year from first use EXCEPT the flex pass. I told her no one said that when I called the first time. Now I have to go to the ticket window at DL and throw myself at their mercy to change the expiration date to first use. I was going to use my pass a few weeks from now, but in fear of a price increase after this weekend, I'll now be going tomorrow and fight the crowds.
                      When you pick up the passes at the ticket booth they will automatically change the date of expiration to 1 year from that day iirc.

                      https://disneyparksmomspanel.disney....mption-404075/

                      your new Disney Flex Passport expired one year after you redeem your pass at that parks not one year from the date of purchase. So feel free to proceed with your purchase. You may notice that the passport expiration date displayed on your account online will be for one year from your purchase. But don't worry. That is merely a placeholder that will be updated once you redeem your Annual Passport at the Disneyland Resort.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by parrity1 View Post

                        When you pick up the passes at the ticket booth they will automatically change the date of expiration to 1 year from that day iirc.

                        https://disneyparksmomspanel.disney....mption-404075/
                        Good to know. Thank you. This will save me from having to go tomorrow to beat the price hike come Monday.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by hbdad View Post

                          Good to know. Thank you. This will save me from having to go tomorrow to beat the price hike come Monday.
                          Well this just my
                          Opinion
                          With the New Attraction opening in a few weeks and being a New Year
                          I think by
                          Monday we be seeing the price going up for all admission .
                          Soaring like an EAGLE !

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Wasn't it in 2018 when they announced a price increase in January, but that it wasn't effective until like January 27th? So people knew of the price increase, but not the same stunt they pulled last year where on January 5th, they did the increase and made it effective immediately.

                            Do you think they might try to do just a price announcement vs. an immediate increase? Because last year really backfired on them in general across the board (passes, APs).

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by hbdad View Post
                              I called the Disneyland AP number before buying online. I asked them if my pass would be expire 1 year from date of purchase or 1 year from first use. They said from first use. Last night I was going to purchase 4 flex passes one at a time because of the gift card thing. After purchasing the first pass, my account showed that it will expire in 1/1/21. Before buying anymore passes I called the AP number again. The lady said all passes expire 1 year from first use EXCEPT the flex pass. I told her no one said that when I called the first time. Now I have to go to the ticket window at DL and throw myself at their mercy to change the expiration date to first use. I was going to use my pass a few weeks from now, but in fear of a price increase after this weekend, I'll now be going tomorrow and fight the crowds.
                              Originally posted by parrity1 View Post

                              When you pick up the passes at the ticket booth they will automatically change the date of expiration to 1 year from that day iirc.

                              https://disneyparksmomspanel.disney....mption-404075/
                              I hope this information is still current. Either way, it's incredible how little clarity there is around this whole process.

                              When I called about my Flex Pass in November, they told me that there was no grace period after purchasing and that it would expire 1 year from the purchase date. Clearly that contradicts the Disney Parks Moms (Parents?) Panel, but if they try to force the expiration date on you at least you have an official Disney source to point to as the reason for your belief.

                              Comment


                              • #16
                                I think with the distinct lack of crowds for a good portion of last year they're going to hold of on a price hike to see if numbers recover in January or if they're as low as they were during most of 2019. They may have put prices at a point that has killed attendance and they aren't going to want to risk making it even worse. Just my guess of course.
                                My signature is NOT larger than my post, nor should yours be!

                                Comment


                                • #17
                                  Originally posted by WaltDisney'sAlec View Post



                                  I hope this information is still current. Either way, it's incredible how little clarity there is around this whole process.

                                  When I called about my Flex Pass in November, they told me that there was no grace period after purchasing and that it would expire 1 year from the purchase date. Clearly that contradicts the Disney Parks Moms (Parents?) Panel, but if they try to force the expiration date on you at least you have an official Disney source to point to as the reason for your belief.
                                  Went today. Here's the story. I purchased two flex passes two days ago online. I went to the ticket window today to buy two more. I told the CM my story. Ultimately, with the two I had already purchased, they updated the expiration date for me. However, today was a blackout date with no reservation allowed for Flex passes. The CM did give me two courtesy visit tickets to enter today, but that's only because I purchased two other passes today. Had i shown up today with my flex pass and was not buying a new pass, they would not have let me enter by treating it as if a I had purchased today.

                                  Comment


                                  • #18
                                    That really seems to make the Flex pass unattractive.
                                    Last edited by tarheelalum; 01-04-2020, 05:42 PM.

                                    Comment


                                    • #19
                                      Originally posted by WaltDisney'sAlec View Post



                                      I hope this information is still current. Either way, it's incredible how little clarity there is around this whole process.

                                      When I called about my Flex Pass in November, they told me that there was no grace period after purchasing and that it would expire 1 year from the purchase date. Clearly that contradicts the Disney Parks Moms (Parents?) Panel, but if they try to force the expiration date on you at least you have an official Disney source to point to as the reason for your belief.
                                      We purchased our flex passes online in September, 30+ days before our first visit so we could make reservations. When we showed up for our first visit, the employee at the ticket booth updated the expiration date to one year from that day.

                                      Comment


                                      • #20
                                        Originally posted by kastfan View Post

                                        We purchased our flex passes online in September, 30+ days before our first visit so we could make reservations. When we showed up for our first visit, the employee at the ticket booth updated the expiration date to one year from that day.
                                        Before you buy the flex pass, is there any way to determine if you can actually reserve the days you want 30 days from that date of purchase, before you pay for it?

                                        Comment

                                        Get Away Today Footer

                                        Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X