X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• guynhawaii
    replied
    Aloha,

I sincerely hope the replies to date are not true. For everyone's sake. In the best interest of the Disney empire and the Parks, there should be a career path throughout the Disney Corporation and various departments. Doing so would maintain the corporate knowledge and technical expertise and build a solid and robust culture leading to consistent excellence.

Leave a comment:

• biggsworth
    replied
    Not sure how Disney operates but at my company the execs come in from the outside. There is no working your way up. You just need to be able to turn a profit and spin conversations in a positive way at all times for the brand

Leave a comment:

• Theme_Park_Insider
    replied
    The themed entertainment industry isn't very big, and first you have to get in - as with the movie industry, it's all who you know, and everyone knows each other and talks to each other, company to company. So hopefully you have close friends working in it, or better yet, you were born into it. The nepotism is strong...

Then your work really begins. You'd better have worked as an executive at another large company bringing things in under-budget and ahead of schedule all the time, play a lot of golf, run a lot of marathons or triathlons, be ridiculously charming and charismatic, be able to spin all your decisions (good or bad) positively, know the current executives from a past life...

You know, the usual corporate shtick.

Oh, knowing stuff about the Disney Company history? BAH HAHA, keep that junk in the orientation. That's for the hourlies and cubicle farmers.

Leave a comment:

• denyuntilcaught
    replied
    Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post

The short answer to your question is in the history of the shift in Disney's management culture beginning in the mid-80s. Michael brought in a "professional Wall Street management class" approach that overrode (and in fact mocked) the Studio's previous "up from the ranks" culture. The Walt-founded emphasis on putting the audience and theme park customer first was replaced with a focus on product marketing and profit maximizing -- a management culture that interacts with its customer base not personally, but in the abstract of numbers. As Michael's protege, Bob has doubled down on promoting top executives who have demonstrated their affinity for that culture. Executives who demonstrate too great a desire to "plus the customer/guest experience" have no chance of being promoted to the top tier.
    Thanks, capitalism.

Leave a comment:

• Mr Wiggins
    replied
    Originally posted by guynhawaii View Post
    Aloha,

A serious question so please refrain from the jokes and negative comments.

What is the career path to become a senior executive at Disney where you can actually make a positive impact on customer satisfaction? Just what are the required professional qualifications?

I sincerely ask because as we start a new decade, the glide slope at Disney for actually fulfilling Walt's theme of "plusing up" the customer/guest experience has become extinct. I think there are many of us who read this Board that would serve very admirably in a senior executive position. Plusing up the experience while maintaining profits to re-invest into DLR.

Anxious to read the responses because I sincerely don't know, but do care as I observe the continuous downward trend.
    The short answer to your question is in the history of the shift in Disney's management culture beginning in the mid-80s. Michael brought in a "professional Wall Street management class" approach that overrode (and in fact mocked) the Studio's previous "up from the ranks" culture. The Walt-founded emphasis on putting the audience and theme park customer first was replaced with a focus on product marketing and profit maximizing -- a management culture that interacts with its customer base not personally, but in the abstract of numbers. As Michael's protege, Bob has doubled down on promoting top executives who have demonstrated their affinity for that culture. Executives who demonstrate too great a desire to "plus the customer/guest experience" have no chance of being promoted to the top tier.

Leave a comment:

• guynhawaii
    started a topic The path to a being a senior executive for Disney

The path to a being a senior executive for Disney

Aloha,

A serious question so please refrain from the jokes and negative comments.

What is the career path to become a senior executive at Disney where you can actually make a positive impact on customer satisfaction? Just what are the required professional qualifications?

I sincerely ask because as we start a new decade, the glide slope at Disney for actually fulfilling Walt's theme of "plusing up" the customer/guest experience has become extinct. I think there are many of us who read this Board that would serve very admirably in a senior executive position. Plusing up the experience while maintaining profits to re-invest into DLR.

Anxious to read the responses because I sincerely don't know, but do care as I observe the continuous downward trend.

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
Working...
X