Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Disneyland by Reservation: Would you be opposed?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stovk View Post

Key word is "perception". Can't explain it further.
    That makes sense. Right now, other people see Disneyland as a place for "the elites" already. Many people in the US (not even looking at other countries) don't make enough to visit, or can only visit once every great while. The prices for the general public buying a ticket for a couple days has gone up at a rate higher than peoples' wages. (A local can fairly easily justify buying an AP because they can go so often with it, and choose to get their money's worth, with many even using it as free babysitting in the past.)

As a semi-local and prior AP, I think APs should be raised in price and regular tickets remain more price-stagnant. On a related (but side) note, last time I was there (November) I had an out-of-state guest with me. She made a remark later on about how the food and shops kept asking her if she had an AP for a discount, and that it felt very tacky like some of the magic had been lost as she felt more second-class. I don't think it was the discount, but more in the way that they made it known she was being treated differnetly. Her "perception" there may have appeared to be that the "elite" (APs) are more welcome when she has to say "No, I don't have one" even though she paid full price to get in.

EDIT: Right after posting this, I saw another post: https://discuss.micechat.com/forum/d...asting-terrace

Perfect example of another way they're making regular guests feel second-class.

Comment

IMHO, from all I know of him, Walt would not exclude the masses from his park in favor of those with special access. More likely, he'd have built more to accommodate everyone, unconcerned about maximizing return on dollar investment with what exists.
      ITA. I seriously doubt Walt would have a museum in the old America Sings building, a movie no one watches next to SM, unusable People Mover tracks - I'm probably missing something from this list - point is, I think he would have maximized capacity and reduced wait times by having something entertaining in all the usable space. I also think that if he couldn't expan in CA, he'd keep expanding in FL or elsewhere as a way to have more park options available.

"I wish they all could be California Bears!"

Comment

As someone who doesn't have an AP, but visits the Parks every 2 years like clockwork, I feel that purchasing tickets in advance should be restricted to particular days and be a guarantee of entry to the park on that particular day if capacity has been reached... Entry to the parks should be guaranteed for tickets purchased in advance ahead of APs and same day ticket purchases.
        APs and same day ticket purchases tend to be locals, who do not have to deal with additional costs incurred such as airfare and hotel fees, plus the fact that I make all my dining reservations well in advance, including my reservation to that restaurant that shall not be named.
        Last edited by JustSomeGuy; 01-06-2020, 08:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by tarheelalum View Post
          Annual passholders are the golden goose, as much as non passholders hate to hear that. Disneyland values AP more and won't do anything to hurt them and the steady stream of cash flow they bring.
          This is the uncomfortable truth that many just don't like to hear. APs are loved by Disney, they just opened an exclusive experience for APs at DCA. They aggressively promote the program and like to create the sense of "clubbiness" about it.

Year after year I see people chagrined as to why Disney has all the APs all while ignoring the reality that Disney WANTS them.

I imagine years from now some people will still be scratching their heads as to why Disneyland has so many APs longing for a solution that makes no sense for Disney.

Years from now them they'll still have zillions of A PS, just as they've always had. As long as it's profitable they'll continue to do so.

Comment

My belief is Walt would not have had Annual Passes or Fast Passes either to be honest. He would have focused making the standard ticket price a value enough to where he could fill the park daily with regular entries. When it got to the point where they were turning away guests daily he would have used his media dollars ( if he had them like they do today ) to expand the amount of parks. if CA and FL can fill their parks then by golly maybe it's time to put one in the mid west or Texas. people are already traveling from the middle of the country outward so having them travel North or South is not too far an ask. I think though he might not have the boom in attendance that we've seen in the last decade though he also would not have had the dead periods in the 90's and 2000's that some have spoken of and he would have never messed up Tomorrowland like they did during that time either. He might have come to todays attendance numbers by steady growth. Imagine being able to hit capacity everyday and that capacity be capped to ensure the parks are still not overly crowded. And all this while having a entry price of say $80. If everyone paid $80 dollars and they hit near capacity daily I feel they probably would be making as much if not more profit on the turnstile as well as increased food and merchandise sales.
            Last edited by Starcade; 01-06-2020, 01:00 PM.

Comment

Disneyland, for the most part, is a locals park. Any sort system where advance reservations are required would not be the best interest of the locals who go when they want to go. So financially speaking I see that as a big barrier to anything like that ever occurring. Disneyland doesn't want to discourage the golden goose from attending. Even if others find that system more pleasurable for their trip.
              Is it though? I see this statement all the time however the busiest days are often when local pass holders are blocked, (obviously only the SOCAL versions) since these days are already ones that the local AP holder would not be able to go anyway in theory a reservation system would not necessarily be that big of a deal if you plan it a few days in advance. Where it would hurt the local guest is the ones that want to just pop in for a few hours Saturday night. For us out of town guests it would really help in the planning part of this as I know for me I plan and book my trips usually around 6 months in advance.
              BGood! It's not just my motto its my name!

Comment

Originally posted by mickdaddy View Post

Is it though? I see this statement all the time however the busiest days are often when local pass holders are blocked, (obviously only the SOCAL versions) since these days are already ones that the local AP holder would not be able to go anyway in theory a reservation system would not necessarily be that big of a deal if you plan it a few days in advance. Where it would hurt the local guest is the ones that want to just pop in for a few hours Saturday night. For us out of town guests it would really help in the planning part of this as I know for me I plan and book my trips usually around 6 months in advance.
                The parks are loaded with Signature plus passes on those days. Yes the Annual passholders are truly the most important guests in the eyes of Disneyland, by far. Disneylands support of the program, to the determinant of the regular day guests shows that pretty clearly in my opinion.

Comment

The parks are loaded with Signature plus passes on those days. Yes the Annual passholders are truly the most important guests in the eyes of Disneyland, by far. Disneylands support of the program, to the determinant of the regular day guests shows that pretty clearly in my opinion.
                  I don't disagree, but you also cannot discount the guest that travels to Disneyland for vacation it might not be the same as Florida but it is still pretty high number of the daily guests. I do agree that the Annual pass holder is king in the eyes of the company.
                  BGood! It's not just my motto its my name!

Comment

Yes you are absolutely right and in fact on the last closure this past Christmastime they STOPPED selling new day tickets, but continued to allow Signature Plus APs admission.

No new day tickets but those Sig+ holders who spent a fortune allowed entry into Disneyland. That should clearly state where they fall in the hierarchy according to Disney. Anyone can become a signature plus AP if you are willing to commit the money to Disney.

Comment

Originally posted by Golden Zephyr View Post

Yes you are absolutely right and in fact on the last closure this past Christmastime they STOPPED selling new day tickets, but continued to allow Signature Plus APs admission.

No new day tickets but those Sig+ holders who spent a fortune allowed entry into Disneyland. That should clearly state where they fall in the hierarchy according to Disney. Anyone can become a signature plus AP if you are willing to commit the money to Disney.
                      To be fair, the difference in days between Signature and Signature Plus is those two weeks around Christmas. Those passholders paid in advance for their entry. It's not favoritism to give people what they already paid for.

Comment

Originally posted by Sun Bonnet View Post

To be fair, the difference in days between Signature and Signature Plus is those two weeks around Christmas. Those passholders paid in advance for their entry. It's not favoritism to give people what they already paid for.
                        What about the non-APs who bought their tickets weeks or months in advance, flew in from out of town, and paid for hotels? They were denied access to the park. How is that fair?

I can tell you that when I visit the Park, I spend over $6000 for 3 days for a family of four, after airfare, hotel, food, merch and tickets (purchased months in advance) are all paid for. That being said, I expect to get in the gate on the 1st day of my visit!
                        Last edited by JustSomeGuy; 01-08-2020, 11:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JustSomeGuy View Post

What about the non-APs who bought their tickets weeks or months in advance, flew in from out of town, and paid for hotels? They were denied access to the park. How is that fair?
                          The poster I quoted did not say anything about hotel guests who pre-purchased tickets. He said they stopped SELLING NEW SAME-DAY TICKETS. At some point, they had to stop selling tickets during Christmas week. That doesn't mean guests who already had a ticket shouldn't be allowed in. Your family and the Signature Plus passholder are in the same position in this scenario.

Comment

Originally posted by wlc View Post

On a related (but side) note, last time I was there (November) I had an out-of-state guest with me. She made a remark later on about how the food and shops kept asking her if she had an AP for a discount, and that it felt very tacky like some of the magic had been lost as she felt more second-class.
                            I felt the same way when we last visited a year ago. It seemed to us that we were asked that question much more frequently, compared to past years.

I started feeling the pity eyes as my purchase rang up at full price. “Oh, not an AP? Well, that is a shame. The poor thing.”

It’s like when you’re on vacation and you shop at an unfamiliar grocery store. They ask for your “special savings loyal customer” card and you’ve got nothing. The cashier shakes their head while they ring up your box of Frosted Flakes for 7.99.

It’s tacky at both Disneyland and the grocery store.

Comment

The poster I quoted did not say anything about hotel guests who pre-purchased tickets. He said they stopped SELLING NEW SAME-DAY TICKETS. At some point, they had to stop selling tickets during Christmas week. That doesn't mean guests who already had a ticket shouldn't be allowed in. Your family and the Signature Plus passholder are in the same position in this scenario.
                              He also said "but continued to allow Signature Plus APs admission."

I took that to mean that Signature Plus APs were allowed in the park while they turned away everyone else with a ticket, meaning that a ticket holder and the Signature Plus passholder are NOT in the same position in this scenario.

I spoke to someone who had a ticket that were denied access at the gate, and instead were sent to DCA.

If in fact Signature APs were allowed admission while Ticket Holders who hadn't been in the park yet were denied access, that in my opinion is not fair.
                              Last edited by JustSomeGuy; 01-08-2020, 12:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JustSomeGuy View Post

He also said "but continued to allow Signature Plus APs admission."

I took that to mean that Signature Plus APs were allowed in the park while they turned away everyone else with a ticket, meaning that a ticket holder and the Signature Plus passholder are NOT in the same position in this scenario.

I spoke to someone who had a ticket that were denied access at the gate, and instead were sent to DCA.

If in fact Signature APs were allowed admission while Ticket Holders who hadn't been in the park yet were denied access, that in my opinion is not fair.
                                I agree with you. If that happened, it's not fair, but from what I read at the time, it was just new tickets not being sold. In fact, I thought I had read that people who had been in DCA were still allowed to park hop over to DL during the time they weren't selling new tickets, but I can't confirm that. FTR, I'm an AP, but my pass was blocked during Christmas so I wasn't there. It's my opinion that during heavy crowding, it's absolutely acceptable for Disney to contain crowds to only those who already have a ticket, whether it's one they purchased for the day or days or an unblocked passholder. But I agree it's unfair if they aren't treating those with tickets equally across the board.

Comment

Here’s how I think it should work, which is more or less in line with the OP-

Advanced Ticket Sales:
                                  Advanced Ticket sales are valid only on specified days. Tickets are available for purchase only if the Park has not reached maximum occupancy for that future date. (Access to the Park that day is guaranteed after purchase)
                                  If the Ticket Holder does not show up or cancel within a specified time-frame, the purchase is forfeit.

AP Holders (All Levels):
                                  AP Holders are required to make a reservation for the days they plan to visit. Reservations are available providing the Park has not already reached maximum occupancy for the future date. (Access to the Park that day is guaranteed after reservation)
                                  If the AP Holder does not show up or cancel within a specified time-frame, they are charged a regular day’s admission fee using the account associated to the AP.
                                  If an AP Holder attempts to make a reservation on a day that is full, they are offered an opportunity to schedule a reservation on a day that would normally be blocked out for that AP. The free “block-out day allowance” could be used any time within the year. It would appear as a “credit” toward future use.

Note: Advanced Ticket Sales and AP Reservations are each allotted a separate percentage of available tickets/reservations to determine Park Capacity.

Same Day Ticket Purchase:
                                  Tickets are available to purchase on the day of admission as long as the park has not reached maximum capacity in Advanced Ticket sales or AP Reservations.
                                  Once a Same Day ticket has been purchased, access to the Park that day is guaranteed.

Seems pretty simple to me!
                                  Last edited by JustSomeGuy; 01-09-2020, 05:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kikdenn View Post

I felt the same way when we last visited a year ago. It seemed to us that we were asked that question much more frequently, compared to past years.

I started feeling the pity eyes as my purchase rang up at full price. “Oh, not an AP? Well, that is a shame. The poor thing.”

It’s like when you’re on vacation and you shop at an unfamiliar grocery store. They ask for your “special savings loyal customer” card and you’ve got nothing. The cashier shakes their head while they ring up your box of Frosted Flakes for 7.99.

It’s tacky at both Disneyland and the grocery store.
                                    I know the feeling.......
                                    ( IMO it get be to much )
                                    Dang how many
                                    “special savings loyal customer” card s

you want in the wallet.....?

I think there some very good points , being made here
                                    on both side of fence.........
                                    But let be truthful....to Disney or any other theme /amusement parks cross the country,
                                    it more about MONEY and less about fairness .
                                    Last edited by Eagleman; 01-08-2020, 04:30 PM.
                                    Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

I bet they would have sold people Sig+ passes on the days they wouldn't sell regular tickets.

Comment

I bet they would have sold people Sig+ passes on the days they wouldn't sell regular tickets.
                                        I Bet- that your right !
                                        lol
                                        Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

I have long thought that this is one of the few ways to realistically control the crowd-feel and lines in the parks. I would love to see Disney or a competitor try something like this, although I doubt it will happen anytime soon.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X