Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Disneyland by Reservation: Would you be opposed?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Timopictures View Post
    I have long thought that this is one of the few ways to realistically control the crowd-feel and lines in the parks. I would love to see Disney or a competitor try something like this, although I doubt it will happen anytime soon.
    Universal Studios already does it. I bought tickets last October for our visit in December, and they were only valid on a specific day of my choosing.

Comment

Originally posted by JustSomeGuy View Post

Universal Studios already does it. I bought tickets last October for our visit in December, and they were only valid on a specific day of my choosing.
      Yes, but I imagine this is just for pricing/promotional reasons or because they were multi-day tickets, not because there was a cap on tickets for that day. I just booked a Disney trip and the tickets were assigned for certain days.

Comment

Yeah, but I'll bet locals and passholders could still go in without reserving.
        "I wish they all could be California Bears!"

Comment

Originally posted by Sun Bonnet View Post

Yeah, but I'll bet locals and passholders could still go in without reserving.
          I was merely stating a fact... But thank you for your conjecture. My point was when buying a day pass for Universal, in advance, I was required to choose what day it would be. There was nothing special about it, no promotion, nothing. Just a regular day pass bought in advance. I have no idea how they address passholder visits... That wasn't the point of my comment.
          Last edited by JustSomeGuy; 01-10-2020, 06:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Timopictures View Post

Yes, but I imagine this is just for pricing/promotional reasons or because they were multi-day tickets, not because there was a cap on tickets for that day. I just booked a Disney trip and the tickets were assigned for certain days.
            Were your Disney tickets restricted to a certain specified day or days though, as in a reservation, where entry to the park is guaranteed? Or were they restricted to a certain series of open ended dates where you could be turned away if the park has reached capacity before you got there? The Universal tickets were restricted to 1 particular day that I had to choose prior to paying for the tickets, and they were only valid on that 1 day, as a reservation to enter. It wasn't a promotion, just simple tickets for one day purchased in advance.

I just went to the Universal Studios site again this morning: I have confirmed, when buying General Admission One Day Passes, they require that you choose the day you will be visiting, and the tickets are only good for the day or multiple days you have chosen. Pricing varies by date, just like Disneyland.

Ultimately, if Disneyland were to do this, combined with requiring AP Holders to make reservations, those of us who have committed to traveling from out of town, and are counting on entering the park on a certain day, would not be turned away at the gate on a day that has reached capacity if we bought tickets in advance. We would have already been counted as part of that capacity.

Sorry if AP Holders would be mildly inconvenienced by making a reservation, but that's far less of an inconvenience than someone being turned away at the gate who has committed thousands of dollars to their visit from out of town. Those people are counting on accessing the park that day, since they don't have the luxury of shrugging their shoulders and saying, "Oh well, I guess I'll just come back another day."

Here's a screenshot of one of my tickets from December:

Click image for larger version  Name:	Universal.png Views:	1 Size:	66.7 KB ID:	8610397
            Last edited by JustSomeGuy; 01-10-2020, 07:24 AM.

Comment

Were your Disney tickets restricted to a certain specified day or days though, as in a reservation, where entry to the park is guaranteed? Or were they restricted to a certain series of open ended dates where you could be turned away if the park has reached capacity before you got there? The Universal tickets were restricted to 1 particular day that I had to choose prior to paying for the tickets, and they were only valid on that 1 day, as a reservation to enter. It wasn't a promotion, just simple tickets for one day purchased in advance.

I just went to the Universal Studios site again this morning: I have confirmed, when buying General Admission One Day Passes, they require that you choose the day you will be visiting, and the tickets are only good for the day or multiple days you have chosen. Pricing varies by date, just like Disneyland.

Ultimately, if Disneyland were to do this, combined with requiring AP Holders to make reservations, those of us who have committed to traveling from out of town, and are counting on entering the park on a certain day, would not be turned away at the gate on a day that has reached capacity if we bought tickets in advance. We would have already been counted as part of that capacity.

Sorry if AP Holders would be mildly inconvenienced by making a reservation, but that's far less of an inconvenience than someone being turned away at the gate who has committed thousands of dollars to their visit from out of town. Those people are counting on accessing the park that day, since they don't have the luxury of shrugging their shoulders and saying, "Oh well, I guess I'll just come back another day."

Here's a screenshot of one of my tickets from December:

Click image for larger version Name:	Universal.png Views:	1 Size:	66.7 KB ID:	8610397
              Yes, a number of parks do what you’re describing. Six Flags and Cedar Fair do it when you buy tickets on their websites. But I believe this is for pricing/promotional purposes, not for crowd control. I don’t think they enforce any meaningful limit to the number of tickets sold for a certain day. And they sell lots of ticket categories that are unrestricted. For example, you can pay a a little more for “Anytime Admission” at Universal.

I don’t even really think they would consider these date-specific tickets to be a “reservation.” I would be curious to see what would happen if you had purchased these kind of tickets for a busy date that saw a capacity closure. Would they let you in because you had a date-specific ticket? My guess would be no, but you would probably be allowed to switch your date.

What I would like to see is a system of date-specific tickets that also came with an actual limit that kept attendance down to reasonable levels. I’d say pleasant levels, but that’s probably too much to ever hope for.

Comment

Eh, while sometimes I plan trips if I'm staying at the hotel, considering I live in So Cal, I like being able to be like "Wanna go to Disneyland this weekend?" and just being able to go.
                "Have I gone mad?"
                "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. "

Comment

Knotts and Universal offer a slight discount for buying online but in return they want you to select your date. As others have said this isn't about crowd control. It's an online promotion.

And it is not just some slight inconvenience to require a reservation for the vast majority of people who don't keep "banker's hours". It is expecting locals to act as if Disneyland is a vacation for us. But it isn't. We go when we are able to, and often that's spur of the moment, I finished my project a little early or am waiting for feedback that won't come today so I have a little time to spare. Some of you think that locals are treated like elites by Disney because we get a loyalty discount (almost all businesses do this btw), but it is way more elitist to cater to people who can afford a vacation over regular folks who live in the area and keep the park open during the off season.

When I was growing up, Disney closed at 7 p.m. at least half the year. It's because of us locals and our loyalty to the parks that the park now has the business to stay open late every night of the year. Disney World is a different story. It is set up to be a tourist resort and a bubble experience, but Disneyland has always just been a laidback park that is mostly visited by locals yet some vacationers in this thread think that because they spent X amount of dollars (only a portion of which actually went to Disney btw, bc the flights and maybe even hotel are separate) that locals should take a back seat to them. That is elitist AF. I don't go to where you live and expect to be treated better than the locals, just as I wouldn't go to Paris and expect Parisians to stay indoors because, to use Just Some Guy's logic, I spent so many dollars to visit THEIR home, but I want it all to myself. Give me a break.

FTR, I am not anti-tourist. I am always nice and helpful to tourists every time I encounter them. I told JSG that I thought those who had a ticket in hand should be able to get in, just as AP holders were able to, and his reply was that all APs should have to reserve and tourists should be able to fill the parks first. I doubt I'd ever be able to go if that were the case because of the nature of my work hours, and I doubt I'm the only one.
                  "I wish they all could be California Bears!"

Comment

Originally posted by Sun Bonnet View Post
                    And it is not just some slight inconvenience to require a reservation for the vast majority of people who don't keep "banker's hours". It is expecting locals to act as if Disneyland is a vacation for us. But it isn't. We go when we are able to, and often that's spur of the moment,
                    This part of your statement
                    I agree...........I'm now at age
                    were it depends on the weather and the way I feel on a given day .
                    Being a local that ,that does not live far from Knott's or Disneyland
                    ,They are places to get away to.....but not same as one , that take a vacation there .
                    So No for myself , I would not make
                    reservation !
                    Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X