Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Chat] Ad Blitz For ROTR Shows Strategy Shift For Opening

Lite crowds, great planning, virtual queue, over thinking, fears of crowds....Faint memory in the eyes of the suits at Disney? I hear the Disney Company has made substantial ad buys to “really” promote ROTR’s opening as well as running a combo ad that separately promotes Galaxys Edge... Did the “delay” with the ROTR ride system spell huge upside opportunity to pack the parks in off peak season? The answer is absolutely yes.

Data that was shared in the last three weeks show they are gearing up for major promotions and have secured extra ad buys - above the annual winter spring 2 parks 2 days tickets buys they do. Am curious - my info is vague as to whether that promo will be in fact offered this season - because my info says a huge portion of commercial marketing will be devoted to ROTR and Galaxys Edge...

Could some be right who said ROTR could finally bring the crushing crowds all had long feared when G E opened? While virtual queue in concept is a great idea - I think we can admit that ROTR’s Anaheim will be its first real test.

If this is true where is all this marketing? The attraction opens next week? Even with ROTR the area needs more than just marketing to help it. It needs more life in the area. More Star Wars in the area itself.
    These are some of my favorite TRs I have posted

DL 55th BDAY trip report
    My company had a special night at the park
    WdW trip report with WWoHP
    NYE 2011 trip report
    Mice Chat 7th anniversary
    Leap year 24 hour report
    New DCA trip report
    NYE 2012
    HKDL trip report

Comment

Originally posted by Disneyidol View Post
      Lite crowds, great planning, virtual queue, over thinking, fears of crowds....Faint memory in the eyes of the suits at Disney? I hear the Disney Company has made substantial ad buys to “really” promote ROTR’s opening as well as running a combo ad that separately promotes Galaxys Edge... Did the “delay” with the ROTR ride system spell huge upside opportunity to pack the parks in off peak season? The answer is absolutely yes.

Data that was shared in the last three weeks show they are gearing up for major promotions and have secured extra ad buys - above the annual winter spring 2 parks 2 days tickets buys they do. Am curious - my info is vague as to whether that promo will be in fact offered this season - because my info says a huge portion of commercial marketing will be devoted to ROTR and Galaxys Edge...

Could some be right who said ROTR could finally bring the crushing crowds all had long feared when G E opened? While virtual queue in concept is a great idea - I think we can admit that ROTR’s Anaheim will be its first real test.
      I wouldn’t say Anaheim is the first real test of virtual queue. WDWs has been very real as the crowds have been bigger than they have been in California, especially within Galaxy's Edge.

Comment

...My info says a huge portion of commercial marketing will be devoted to ROTR and Galaxys Edge.
        Like the opening of Star Wars Land, RotR will no doubt attract lots of people at first.

What happens in the weeks and months afterward, however, is anyone's guess. Disney is still dealing with the under-performance of a Star Wars Land that had much of the heart and soul slashed from its budget before it opened. Unfortunately, rather than restore what they promised the customers at the 2015 D23, they're putting all their money on one ride -- and a big advertising budget. Unfortunately, too, they still appear to be in denial that what the customers really want is classic Star Wars, not Disney's version.

All of which brings to mind a quote from a great post in another thread:

Originally posted by C. Andrew Nelson View Post
        ...It has gone from "What does the customer want" to "How do we entice the customer to want what we are selling?"

"Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
        it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
        together with every variety of recreation and fun,
        designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
        - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
        - Bob Chapek

Comment

Disney had - count em - four ads (Depending where you live) in tonight’s Golden Globes - 2 for ROTR and 2 for a hybrid G E ad including ROTR clips but closed out with S R footage.

Comment

I wonder if the Magic Happens Parade will sneak into one of the standard park promos. Even though its not Star Wars related, the parade will be begining soon in the same park.

Comment

Originally posted by biggsworth View Post
              If this is true where is all this marketing? The attraction opens next week? Even with ROTR the area needs more than just marketing to help it. It needs more life in the area. More Star Wars in the area itself.
              They likely waited until after the Golden Globes to kick off their media blitz since the Globes tend to drive up CPMs and thus, make it cost even more to get ad placements.

Comment

Disney had - count em - four ads (Depending where you live) in tonight’s Golden Globes - 2 for ROTR and 2 for a hybrid G E ad including ROTR clips but closed out with S R footage.
                Ah ok I actually skipped the globes this year.

DL 55th BDAY trip report
                NYE 2011 trip report
                Leap year 24 hour report
                New DCA trip report
                NYE 2012
                HKDL trip report

Comment

I just noticed Sat the 18th is now booked for Flex passes, it's been rare to see them booked up this far in advance. Makes me wonder is it truly guests booking them up or Disney cutting the amount of available spots for fears of the popularity on the 2nd day of the ride being open to the public? If it was the public booking it up I would have though this would have happened sooner considering the the opening date has been known for awhile.

Comment

Originally posted by Starcade View Post
                    I just noticed Sat the 18th is now booked for Flex passes, it's been rare to see them booked up this far in advance. Makes me wonder is it truly guests booking them up or Disney cutting the amount of available spots for fears of the popularity on the 2nd day of the ride being open to the public? If it was the public booking it up I would have though this would have happened sooner considering the the opening date has been known for awhile.
                    I am not sure but I grabbed the 18th & 19th myself with my Flex AP I bought on Saturday night.

DL 55th BDAY trip report
                    NYE 2011 trip report
                    Leap year 24 hour report
                    New DCA trip report
                    NYE 2012
                    HKDL trip report

Comment

I am not sure but I grabbed the 18th myself with my Flex AP I bought on Saturday night.
                      I hear you on that we almost did the same for our kids Flex's but then decided to wait a week as NAMM will also be going on that weekend so it's often a busy one. Curious to see how it all goes.

Comment

I hear you on that we almost did the same for our kids Flex's but then decided to wait a week as NAMM will also be going on that weekend so it's often a busy one. Curious to see how it all goes.
                        I also grabbed the 19th in case lol So because i got the AP Flex pass I am not going next week 16th, 17th, 18th, and 19th basically almost breaking even already on the AP.

DL 55th BDAY trip report
                        NYE 2011 trip report
                        Leap year 24 hour report
                        New DCA trip report
                        NYE 2012
                        HKDL trip report

Comment

Sound like Crunch time at the park
                          And TDA/Management needs to get this
                          ROTR/attraction

open and done right
                          Over Galaxy's Edge/land which did not , do so well last year.
                          IMO
                          Last edited by Eagleman; 01-06-2020, 07:31 PM.
                          Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Sunday 1/5 has been unavailable for the past 3 weeks. My theory is that a lot of Flex passholders placed a reservation for Sunday 1/5, and used their 2nd reservation on Saturday 1/11. Which is why for the past 2+ weeks, Saturday 1/18, which everyone thought would become unavailable quickly, has remained open.

Yesterday, all those folks used up their 1st reservation, with the plan to turn around and reserve 1/18 when it became possible for them to do so. I'm guessing that today some or many of them, are disturbed to see 1/18 is now full at Disneyland. I won't be surprised to see 1/19 close in the next 7 days, which is why I'm probably going to skip going next weekend, so I can hold my reservations for 1/18 & 1/19.

Comment

If this is true where is all this marketing?
                              It was definitely redundant but on our second viewing for The Rise of Skywalker this past weekend, there were two ads (virtually back to back) for ROTR/Galaxy's Edge in general before the film began. It struck me as a little bit odd considering 1) Both ads were essentially the same, one was just a slightly extended version of the other, 2) They played only an ad apart from each other and 3) We were already in the theater for the Rise of Skywalker some time after it released.. safe to say most folks there were fans who probably didn't need that level of convincing to go. But the more eyes on it the better, I guess.

I'd go ahead and guess this attraction will be a big success one way or the other, Disney's advertising is them just trying to put the icing on the cake. The positive word of mouth flowing from Guests who have experienced the Orlando version and the fact that they're still using the virtual boarding system out there shows that they've got a winning attraction on their hands so this is probably the best and safest basket for them to put all of their hypothetical advertisement eggs into.

"I take no side. I am beyond your worrying and wars. I am unseen. Unknowable. Like a rock in the river."

Comment

I think they have a couple cards up their sleeve to get crowds there: appearances by Mando and BY

I imagine they'll show up and be promoted heavily either before season 2 airs or if/when ROTR crowds die down...
                                L + L = R

Comment

Mandolorian should set a couple episodes in Batuu. And by Batuu, I mean they should actually film the episodes in Galaxy's Edge at Disneyland. It looks like a film set anyway, and they could hide/greenscreen some of the few things like railings that seem out of place. Shoot it over the course of a few nights during the early closing period coming up. Would be cool to see.
                                  "Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money." - ​Walt Disney

Comment

More evidence that Disney execs are still in fear mode after last summer's attendance crash -- they're pushing deep discounts in an attempt to pack the park with locals.

LA Times: Resident tickets for Disneyland are back: $199 gets you in three times

Disneyland on Tuesday launched its annual limited-time ticket discounts for Southern Californians. Each local resident who pays $199 will receive three one-park-per-day tickets to be used on separate visits. The discount pencils out to $67 for each admission, provided you use all three tickets between now and May 21.
                                    "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
                                    it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
                                    together with every variety of recreation and fun,
                                    designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
                                    - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
                                    - Bob Chapek

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
                                      More evidence that Disney execs are still in fear mode after last summer's attendance crash -- they're pushing deep discounts in an attempt to pack the park with locals.

LA Times: Resident tickets for Disneyland are back: $199 gets you in three times

Disneyland on Tuesday launched its annual limited-time ticket discounts for Southern Californians. Each local resident who pays $199 will receive three one-park-per-day tickets to be used on separate visits. The discount pencils out to $67 for each admission, provided you use all three tickets between now and May 21.
                                      Well....looks like Disney is trying win back the customer !

and might work..........
                                      G
                                      ood news is .....less for now ,I do not see the price hike ...that good news .

For a lots of
                                      local resident
                                      ,a "AP" is not the answer ,but this

Resident tickets discounts for Disneyland Resort Parks
                                      are back: $199 gets you in three times...does sound like a good deal !
                                      IMO

Last edited by Eagleman; 01-08-2020, 05:54 PM.
                                      Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

I had a front row seat to this that leads me to believe you're correct. I have a Flex pass and encouraged other friends of mine to buy them as well. When picking them up at the ticket booth a couple days ago, the CM told us that the new Star Wars land ride opens the 17th, but you'll see the 18th is already booked up.

When we went to check the app after linking their passes, the 18th was still not booked. We didn't make reservations for that day (we'll mostly be available on the 17th), but we all thought it was odd that they were telling us it was already fully booked when reservations were still available.

Make of that what you will...

Originally posted by greenalfonzo View Post
                                        Mandolorian should set a couple episodes in Batuu. And by Batuu, I mean they should actually film the episodes in Galaxy's Edge at Disneyland. It looks like a film set anyway, and they could hide/greenscreen some of the few things like railings that seem out of place. Shoot it over the course of a few nights during the early closing period coming up. Would be cool to see.
                                        Seconded!

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X