Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where’s the Pirates Harpsichord?

This has been missing for more than 7 months. No way would it take that long to refurb. Where is it?

Has the hairy legged pirate returned?
    Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Comment

some pirate stole it.
      Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream.
      Mark Twain

Comment

My GF and I have been noticing this since last Aug or Sep. Every time we go, about once a month, we think "Oh, it will be back this time!". LOL Still, nothing. What is funny, is that just a few months before the harpsichord disappeared, probably late winter and into early spring last year, the harpischord was there but the harpsichord's music track was strangely MIA. I noticed this for a month or 2 before it was corrected. And then only a few months later, the instrument is gone but the music is still heard. Kind of funny.

When I went last month while riding Pirates and passed the Captain's quarters, I started to think, is it possible it could have been accidentally damaged transporting it to wherever it is? And now instead of just fixing whatever was wrong with it before (probably mechanics for the moving keys), does it now need a much bigger and more complex fix? It's the only thing I could come up with as to why it has been gone now for 6+ months.

Comment

Captain Jack Sparrow strikes again"""" and were the rum !

lol
          Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

The redhead took it
            Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Comment

It was auctioned off after the grandfather clock.

Comment

What I've always wondered is, what about the harpsichord makes it so likely to break or need to be removed. Is there some access point behind or under it so it disappears where there's alot of maintenance and tuning going on?

At least the pirate over the bridge makes sense why he disappears so often, he seems to be right within reaching distance of guests who want to standup and smack his leg or toss something at him.

Comment

Originally posted by MRaymond View Post
                  Has the hairy legged pirate returned?
                  My last visit was yesterday and I can confirm that he isn’t. He’s been missing since the beginning of October, if I’m able to recall correctly. His laughter and the parrot’s audio is still playing though, which feels very odd.

Comment

Will the asian pirate return?
                    "Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money." - ​Walt Disney

Comment

As time Go by
                      Pirates of the Caribbean
                      is become less and less..........
                      Dead Men Tell No Tales

Except end up with more Johnny Be Good "AA''s
                      Last edited by Eagleman; 01-12-2020, 04:30 PM.
                      Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Originally posted by greenalfonzo View Post
                        Will the asian pirate return?
                        Assuming we are talking about the same AA from the auction scene, I believe he never left but was simply redressed? The figure was never destinctly East Asian, but because his half squinted eyes resembled almond shaped eyes, they just dressed him in garb resembling Shanghai region pirates. Now I believe he just has generic garb?

Comment

Originally posted by DarthBrett78 View Post
                          My GF and I have been noticing this since last Aug or Sep. Every time we go, about once a month, we think "Oh, it will be back this time!". LOL Still, nothing. What is funny, is that just a few months before the harpsichord disappeared, probably late winter and into early spring last year, the harpischord was there but the harpsichord's music track was strangely MIA. I noticed this for a month or 2 before it was corrected. And then only a few months later, the instrument is gone but the music is still heard. Kind of funny.

When I went last month while riding Pirates and passed the Captain's quarters, I started to think, is it possible it could have been accidentally damaged transporting it to wherever it is? And now instead of just fixing whatever was wrong with it before (probably mechanics for the moving keys), does it now need a much bigger and more complex fix? It's the only thing I could come up with as to why it has been gone now for 6+ months.
                          Good guess. Maybe the harpsichord went the way of the Chicken of the Sea ship, which fell apart at any attempt to remove it because it was so old. They're probably trying to restore the original harpsichord or source some period-specific piece lest it be deemed inauthentic. Hard to believe it would take this long though, even if it were a ground-up build.

Comment

At least they finally turn the light off that was on it...for the longest time it was gone but the fixture highlighting it was still illuminated.

Comment

This has really bothered me too, Disney has been pretty bad over the last year about things that have needed to be fixed, also the x-ray baggage check in Star tours has been off for a number of months. Management just seems to care less and less to get things promptly done.

Comment

I think what might be happening is they are making a new version of the Harpsichord and need to the previous model to replicate and motion map the new one. I always wondered if the original was playing the right keys? I do not play piano or harpsichord so I never knew and I wonder if they are doing a new one would they make sure to match it correctly so those in the the know would appreciate it.

Comment

Originally posted by MAC1986 View Post
                                  This has really bothered me too, Disney has been pretty bad over the last year about things that have needed to be fixed, also the x-ray baggage check in Star tours has been off for a number of months. Management just seems to care less and less to get things promptly done.
                                  "Delayed Maintenance Means Higher Profits" is Chapter 1 in the Paul Pressler playbook.

"Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
                                  it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
                                  together with every variety of recreation and fun,
                                  designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
                                  - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
                                  - Bob Chapek

Comment

I just know , since 1967
                                    The Harpsichord as become a very importin fixture of Pirates of the Caribbean attraction.
                                    Last edited by Eagleman; 01-13-2020, 04:28 PM.
                                    Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Originally posted by Starcade View Post
                                      I think what might be happening is they are making a new version of the Harpsichord and need to the previous model to replicate and motion map the new one. I always wondered if the original was playing the right keys? I do not play piano or harpsichord so I never knew and I wonder if they are doing a new one would they make sure to match it correctly so those in the the know would appreciate it.
                                      I wouldn't be surprised if it did play the right notes, here's why;

I don't know if it's still there or not but there used to be a model of a basic V-8 car engine from the 70s in Flo's Cafe in DCA. It had lights that simulated the spark plugs and in every engine, the spark plugs absolutely must fire in the correct order or the engine will not run. They got the firing order correct!

Occasionally, Disney can really pay attention to small details that very few people would notice and the harpsichord was made in an era when they paid a lot of attention to stuff like this.

Comment

Originally posted by micromind View Post

I wouldn't be surprised if it did play the right notes, here's why;

I don't know if it's still there or not but there used to be a model of a basic V-8 car engine from the 70s in Flo's Cafe in DCA. It had lights that simulated the spark plugs and in every engine, the spark plugs absolutely must fire in the correct order or the engine will not run. They got the firing order correct!

Occasionally, Disney can really pay attention to small details that very few people would notice and the harpsichord was made in an era when they paid a lot of attention to stuff like this.
                                        Is the model you're talking about the patio section infront if the cafe itself? Last I saw the area at night, around October, the patio's sparkplug lights and chamber order still goes in the correct order.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X