Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Captain Andy
    replied
    On the subject of theft, I saw this article and was reminded of this thread!

Ex-Disney Employee Who Stole $7,000 in Haunted Mansion Props Receives Sentence
    https://insidethemagic.net/2020/02/h...-sentence-tm1/

How heavy is the harpischord again? lol

Leave a comment:

• Zael Vanor
    replied
    Could actually be missing but it also sounds like the theft conversation could have just been an attraction-specific joke that didn't land. Of course a maintenance worker "stole" it; it's a pirate ride, everything down there is "stolen."

I would like to see it back, though!

Leave a comment:

• Starcade
    replied
    I wonder if there was a spiel that was passed around about the harpsichord being stolen by marauders or thieves and over the days of people over hearing each other ( like the post office game as children ) while also being told it's out for maintenance it evolved into "Maintenance Stole It"

Leave a comment:

• Eagleman
    replied
    Still it take Disney , long time to replace it ............
    How long has the harpsichord been missing ?

Leave a comment:

• Mr Wiggins
    replied
    Originally posted by whoever View Post
    If this is true, and I doubt it is, it's well known and recovered.
    I doubt it as well. The CM who reported it to hbdad may have been repeating a rumor that was born of Attractions' frustration with Maintenance.

Leave a comment:

• Zorro
    replied
    So Buzzy is getting harpsichord lessons?

Leave a comment:

• hbdad
    replied
    Originally posted by Starcade View Post

ThIs seems like something that could easily be tracked down or at least the employee would be easily tracked down and brought up on charges. It would be like a member of the cleaning crew stealing a sculpture from museum, with all the cameras and records of who is where and when it seems like it would be quite to theist to steal this unless it was offsite and then stolen from offsite which also would means some heads would roll.
    That's what I thought. Assuming the info is true, and I don't know why a CM would lie like that, wouldn't they be able to narrow down who took it and recover it? But obviously if someone did steal it, they must not have been able to recover it, at least not yet. In addition to the fact that I don't think a CM would come up with a lie like that, there appears to be no other reason for the long absence of the harpsichord. So theft, would seem the most likely and reasonable explanation.

Leave a comment:

• whoever
    replied

ThIs seems like something that could easily be tracked down or at least the employee would be easily tracked down and brought up on charges. It would be like a member of the cleaning crew stealing a sculpture from museum, with all the cameras and records of who is where and when it seems like it would be quite to theist to steal this unless it was offsite and then stolen from offsite which also would means some heads would roll.
    If this is true, and I doubt it is, it's well known and recovered.

Leave a comment:

• Starcade
    replied
    Originally posted by hbdad View Post
    I was told by a POTC CM today the harpsichord was stolen by a maintenance employee. Maybe Westsider can confirm.

Leave a comment:

• DisneySpaceAce
    replied
    Today I learned the thing I just called a piano for almost 40 years is a harpsichord lol

Leave a comment:

• SkunkID
    replied
    It's a rather strange coincidence that the prop that comes and goes frequently gets stolen. But I suppose it being moved around so much means it could disappear for a time without too many people really wondering

Leave a comment:

• hbdad
    replied
    I was told by a POTC CM today the harpsichord was stolen by a maintenance employee. Maybe Westsider can confirm.

Leave a comment:

• Eagleman
    replied
    Well
    I learning something new................
    sparkplug lights

Leave a comment:

• micromind
    replied
    Originally posted by CHL2T View Post

I noticed this on our last visit!
    It's hard to track them but it sure seems to be the correct firing order!
    1 8 4 3 6 5 7 2
    I love noticing these types of details
    Me too!!

Leave a comment:

• micromind
    replied
    Originally posted by SkunkID View Post

Is the model you're talking about the patio section infront if the cafe itself? Last I saw the area at night, around October, the patio's sparkplug lights and chamber order still goes in the correct order.
    That's it!

Leave a comment:

• CHL2T
    replied

Is the model you're talking about the patio section infront if the cafe itself? Last I saw the area at night, around October, the patio's sparkplug lights and chamber order still goes in the correct order.
    I noticed this on our last visit!
    It's hard to track them but it sure seems to be the correct firing order!
    1 8 4 3 6 5 7 2
    I love noticing these types of details

Leave a comment:

• SkunkID
    replied
    Originally posted by Right Down Broadway View Post
    I doubt it needs to be "tuned." The sound comes from the soundtrack, not the instrument itself.

I also doubt that the keyboard motion was ever correct.

Finally, I've been told the instrument is actually a clavichord--not a harpsichord.
    Tuning in this sense referring to the components inside that allow it to move like a player piano, not legitimately playing as the sound the coming from it isn't what the keys are playing, as others have suggested. Just used to a multi usage term.

Leave a comment:

• Right Down Broadway
    replied
    What I've always wondered is, what about the harpsichord makes it so likely to break or need to be removed. Is there some access point behind or under it so it disappears where there's alot of maintenance and tuning going on?
    I doubt it needs to be "tuned." The sound comes from the soundtrack, not the instrument itself.

I also doubt that the keyboard motion was ever correct.

Finally, I've been told the instrument is actually a clavichord--not a harpsichord.

Leave a comment:

• SkunkID
    replied
    Originally posted by micromind View Post

I wouldn't be surprised if it did play the right notes, here's why;

I don't know if it's still there or not but there used to be a model of a basic V-8 car engine from the 70s in Flo's Cafe in DCA. It had lights that simulated the spark plugs and in every engine, the spark plugs absolutely must fire in the correct order or the engine will not run. They got the firing order correct!

Occasionally, Disney can really pay attention to small details that very few people would notice and the harpsichord was made in an era when they paid a lot of attention to stuff like this.

Leave a comment:

• micromind
    replied
    I think what might be happening is they are making a new version of the Harpsichord and need to the previous model to replicate and motion map the new one. I always wondered if the original was playing the right keys? I do not play piano or harpsichord so I never knew and I wonder if they are doing a new one would they make sure to match it correctly so those in the the know would appreciate it.
    I wouldn't be surprised if it did play the right notes, here's why;

I don't know if it's still there or not but there used to be a model of a basic V-8 car engine from the 70s in Flo's Cafe in DCA. It had lights that simulated the spark plugs and in every engine, the spark plugs absolutely must fire in the correct order or the engine will not run. They got the firing order correct!

Occasionally, Disney can really pay attention to small details that very few people would notice and the harpsichord was made in an era when they paid a lot of attention to stuff like this.

Leave a comment:

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
Working...
X