Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Resent Disappointing Guest Services Reply

Greetings fellow Chatters
    I Hope the new year is going well for all, I was hoping to get some opinion about a resent experience with the Disneyland Guest service

I was Disappoint with part of my experience after a resent trip to Disneyland. I from the school of thought that "if you don't say anything, they can't fix it" so I sent the following email to "Guest Services"

Dear Disney
    Myself and four Friends visited the park on 12-24-2019 and 12-25-2019, I have visited the resort every years (I missed the last two years due to health reasons) for at least two decades. I am writing this to inform you of something that really ruined everyone in out parties visit.

As we visited the “Pirates of the Caribbean” we noticed first from the line inside the attraction and later on while riding of the sudden and very hard impacts of one boat hitting another as they come off the “UP” water fall and as people waited to unload. These impacts seem to happen whenever another boat joined us waiting and were not light taps but sudden and harsh. The sound of rubber squeaking as boats rubbed didn’t improve the environment. Another guest exiting the boat made the comment “maybe they should hand out ibuprofen as we exit” and that pretty much sums it up. This kind of thing isn’t good for guest and I can’t imagine it being good for the boats.

Lastly the “New” auction scene is childish and silly, just my opinion. Thank you for your time and for reading this

Sincerely

Jedi Stitch (no I actually used my real name but wanted to stay in a continuity for this post)
    Yes before anyone states the obvious, I am aware it was the holiday season, ...larger crowds, more congestion, etc., but this was the reply.

Dear Jedi Stitch ( Once more “no” they actually used my real name but wanted to stay in a continuity for this post),

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments from your visit. We do hope you are well.

We appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts with us about our Pirates of the Caribbean attraction. We would like to assure you that our goals for providing a happy and unique experience in our theme parks have remained constant throughout the years. One of the ways in which we attempt to maintain this goal is to continually evaluate the various aspects of our parks and make changes at times.

We believe the time is right to turn the page to a new story in the auction scene in the attraction, consistent with the humorous and adventurous spirit of the attraction. After all, Walt Disney embraced and encouraged change at the park and spoke about the need to “keep moving forward.”

Walt Disney stated, "Disneyland will never be completed as long as there is imagination left in the world." In that spirit, we will continue to make additions and changes to the Disneyland Park and Disney California Adventure Park, all with the goal in mind to keep the Disneyland experience new, fresh and exciting.

As diverse as the millions of visitors are who come to the Disneyland Resort each year, so are the reactions and opinions of our Guests, and it is always our goal to provide a show that appeals to all who visit. We hope that you will continue to follow the developments of the Disneyland Resort. Please be assured that your comments regarding your attraction experience have been forwarded to the appropriate individuals.

Kindest Regards,
    Guest Services ( I have omitted the person name since I'm not focusing on them)

is it me or are they seeming to ignore my real problem and focused everything on the last sentence I typed? and wrapped this whole thing up with a bow...with the catch all phrase "Please be assured that your comments regarding your attraction experience have been forwarded to the appropriate individuals."

but I don't want to rant, I came here for your opinions

Jedi Stitch
    you don't have to be crazy to use this profile..but it helps

Originally posted by jedi Stitch View Post
    ...is it me or are they seeming to ignore my real problem and focused everything on the last sentence I typed? and wrapped this whole thing up with a bow...with the catch all phrase "Please be assured that your comments regarding your attraction experience have been forwarded to the appropriate individuals."
    Pretty much. You got a cut-and-paste reply of pre-written paragraphs.

There's a slight chance that if you had written and mailed a physical letter that included the exact time the Pirates incident took place, you might have gotten a more personal reply. But only a slight chance.
    "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
    it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
    together with every variety of recreation and fun,
    designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
    - Michael Eisner

Comment

Maybe it is just me, but it seems like the boats running into each other has been going on as long as I have been going to Disneyland. 20+ years. I am not really sure what you expected them to say and I would have thought if you have been going to Disneyland as often as you have, you would have run into this before and have been prepared for it.

I'm really not trying to be confrontational, I am just saying this isnt anything new and has been going on forever.

Comment

Not sure if there is much that can be done about either situation without the masses on your side. Like Droughns mentioned, the boat bumping on Pirates has been around for as long as I can remember, though I'm not trying to make a case for it being "right". I'm also relativity young compared to some folks here so maybe one of them can speak to how things were handled when the attraction was newer.

But Pirates is a popular, high capacity attraction, made possible in part by so many boats in the flume at any given point. In a perfect world, Cast Members will hit their dispatch intervals (at Pooh it was about every 13 seconds to keep things flowing smoothly) and back up would be lessened but in reality we have to come to terms with the knowledge that every Guest is different. Some have special needs and will take longer to get in/out of the boats leading to a ripple effect that causes a traffic jam. It can be hard to clear once it happens, especially with the amount of Guests Pirate's commands both in its stand-by and disability queues.

Again, not to say this corrects your situation. I'm sorry you felt uncomfortable but maybe this explanation of why things were/are they way are will provide at least some form of solace. Next time it happens I might suggest bringing it up to Cast Members working the attraction when you exit. Let them know your experience was less than stellar and they might be able to do something to make it right. During my time as a CM, we were constantly reminded that we had that sort of power and encouraged to use it if it meant making someones day better.

To your point about changes made to the auction scene; there's really not much they can do, again, without the masses on your side. At this point all they really can do is thank you for sharing your opinion with them. If there were consistently hordes of angry Guests pushing and shoving their way into City Hall to let them know their discontent with the changes, then I could maybe see Disney re-assessing the scene but in today's day and age I just don't see it happening. Times change and the world moves forward but rather than refusing to adapt and simply dying off, Pirates continues to flow forward with whatever changes the world brings. We all have our opinions and yours is perfectly valid but maybe you'd find a bit of comfort by thinking about the change in a different way. For example, instead of letting the fact that they changed the scene bother you, maybe focus more on the fact that Disney was willing to invest the time and resources to create the changes at all, meaning there are no plans on radar to do away with the legendary attraction. It's a good feeling to have.

Also, the changes to the auction scene indirectly gave us back the ghostly voices and a brand new skeleton pirate effect in the former Davy Jones "waterfall" location. Overall, try to think of it as a win. Stay positive!
        Last edited by Blurr; 01-15-2020, 08:29 AM. Reason: Grammar
        "I take no side. I am beyond your worrying and wars. I am unseen. Unknowable. Like a rock in the river."

Comment

You're complaining about a flume ride design from the 1960s. A nightmare combination of concrete, metal, plastic, and electronics that has been constantly soaking wet for nearly 55 years.

You're lucky bumping and squeaking are the only issues Guests can see.

Comment

One thing to note about the reply. I work in a customer facing type organization. Front liners (people who deal with the public) are given copy and pasted responses. They have ways to search for certain verbiage and simply put that in the response. The reason they ignored your boat question is they don't have an answer for it. Also to make sure they hit their SLA ( Service Level Agreement) they made sure to reply to you before that time is up. They are hoping you do not replay back to them again and they can simply close your ticket. Follow up your email with a reply only asking about the boat situation.

The saddest part of this is a company like Disney uses the same customer service my company does instead of being an innovator on it. I continue to voice my complaints and feed backs in person when I am there at city hall. I do this every trip for great CMs and bad ones also the Matterhorn bobsleds and how much i hate them. I feel better having a conversation with the CMs at city hall because i take 10 mins of their time to provide real feedback. Those surveys that they try to hit us with at the front gates are another waste of time I avoid. Answering those is just giving data to some corporate person who is trying to pump up their project with metrics.
            These are some of my favorite TRs I have posted

DL 55th BDAY trip report
            My company had a special night at the park
            WdW trip report with WWoHP
            NYE 2011 trip report
            Mice Chat 7th anniversary
            Leap year 24 hour report
            New DCA trip report
            NYE 2012
            HKDL trip report

Comment

Originally posted by biggsworth View Post
              The reason they ignored your boat question is they don't have an answer for it. .
              They didn't have an answer for it because it is not an actual "problem" other than a guest complaining about a dislike and their perception.

I don't like the jerkiness and seats of the Matterhorn but it is what it is even after refurb...my choice to go on it or not.

You can be sure that if Pirates was causing actual damage or injury they would be addressing those issues...but this is noting more than a perception of the guest issue.

Comment

Originally posted by DisneyPilot View Post

They didn't have an answer for it because it is not an actual "problem" other than a guest complaining about a dislike and their perception.

I don't like the jerkiness and seats of the Matterhorn but it is what it is even after refurb...my choice to go on it or not.

You can be sure that if Pirates was causing actual damage or injury they would be addressing those issues...but this is noting more than a perception of the guest issue.
                To me though you still address it so that the guest has some closure. It is easy to do like that's for bringing it to our attention i will forward onto that team etc.
                These are some of my favorite TRs I have posted

DL 55th BDAY trip report
                My company had a special night at the park
                WdW trip report with WWoHP
                NYE 2011 trip report
                Mice Chat 7th anniversary
                Leap year 24 hour report
                New DCA trip report
                NYE 2012
                HKDL trip report

Comment

You have to love how they're so willing to pimp out Walt to justify their questionable and/or bad decisions.
                  Walt would have loved GE as much as he loved the orange groves.

Star Wars: a cancer upon Disneyland since 1987.

Rise of the Resistance: the new Rocket Rods

Calling Star Wars "Disney" is the same as calling American Flyer "Lionel"

Comment

Just out of curiosity, how would you all have written the response, given that there is nothing that can been done without major reconstruction to the ride?

Comment

I think that if the complaint is actionable you will get a better response. I made a complaint about Rita's Blenders in DCA a couple of years back and actually ended up talking to the beverage manager for DCA. She was unaware of the issues that they were having during hot days and it appeared that the issue was resolved on future visits that I made.

Comment

Originally posted by Zorro View Post
                        You have to love how they're so willing to pimp out Walt to justify their questionable and/or bad decisions.
                        The other amusing thing about it is the CorporateSpeak style of writing -- honed and polished by decades of committee reviews.

One thing to note about the reply. I work in a customer facing type organization. Front liners (people who deal with the public) are given copy and pasted responses. They have ways to search for certain verbiage and simply put that in the response. The reason they ignored your boat question is they don't have an answer for it. Also to make sure they hit their SLA ( Service Level Agreement) they made sure to reply to you before that time is up. They are hoping you do not replay back to them again and they can simply close your ticket. Follow up your email with a reply only asking about the boat situation.

The saddest part of this is a company like Disney uses the same customer service my company does instead of being an innovator on it. I continue to voice my complaints and feed backs in person when I am there at city hall. I do this every trip for great CMs and bad ones also the Matterhorn bobsleds and how much i hate them. I feel better having a conversation with the CMs at city hall because i take 10 mins of their time to provide real feedback. Those surveys that they try to hit us with at the front gates are another waste of time I avoid. Answering those is just giving data to some corporate person who is trying to pump up their project with metrics.
                        Bingo.

- Walt Disney

- Michael Eisner

Comment

Those boats have done that since at least the 70s. It doesn't bother me, but the jerkiness of the Matterhorn does so I don't go on it. But I would hate to see the Matterhorn go so I just admire it from afar and don't mention the jerkiness to Disney.

I agree with those who say they didn't address the boats in their response because there's no solution. I also agree that telling the CMs directly may get you more of a response.
                          "I wish they all could be California Bears!"

Comment

First I like to say that I have been on PoTC many times over the last 30+ years. I’m used to the bumps and taps that happen, this was not that. They rubber “bumper” were making sounds and causing water to splash up between boats. I have no idea why this was happening it could have been a mix of the weight of the people in the boats and the speed it was running at ( it does run faster than it used to, once you got to hear the skeleton whole speech about " Keeping your rutty hands inboard" ), to be perfectly honest I couldn’t tell you but it wasn’t normal.

Originally posted by NemoVir View Post
                            Just out of curiosity, how would you all have written the response, given that there is nothing that can been done without major reconstruction to the ride?

As to what I might have said if I had written the email……..

Dear (insert name)

We regret that your experience wasn’t all it could have been. It is our intention that all our guest experience only the best from our resort. We have taken steps to study and hopefully correct this problem. We thank you for taking the time from your busy schedule to stop and point this out to us. it is appreciated. If you feel like sharing anything else about your recent visit, we welcome your input.

We will continue to strive to make our guest experiences magical and hope you will visit our resort again soon.

Sincerely
                            Disney Guest Services
                            yes I know it a lot of soft soap and boiler plate, but it is polite and focus on the problem and at least appears to try and say "will work on it" instead of "lets focus on the last thing you said and ignore the meat of the problem"
                            you don't have to be crazy to use this profile..but it helps

Comment

Those surveys that they try to hit us with at the front gates are another waste of time I avoid. Answering those is just giving data to some corporate person who is trying to pump up their project with metrics.
                              Not just with Disney , but with all company's
                              I learn many years ago.......
                              surveys another waste of time , and stop doing them
                              altogether!
                              Most of time ,it's Information they use against the
                              customer , does not help !
                              " I DO NOT DO SURVEYS"
                              IMO
                              Last edited by Eagleman; 01-15-2020, 04:55 PM.
                              Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Dear (insert name)

We regret that your experience wasn’t all it could have been. It is our intention that all our guest experience only the best from our resort. We have taken steps to study and hopefully correct this problem. We thank you for taking the time from your busy schedule to stop and point this out to us. it is appreciated. If you feel like sharing anything else about your recent visit, we welcome your input.

We will continue to strive to make our guest experiences magical and hope you will visit our resort again soon.

Sincerely
                                Disney Guest Services

Very well said. Short, polite, to the point... and devoid of that gag-inducing Disney CorporateSpeak.

Unfortunately, when one hears Disney Parks' top executive speak, it's clear that the place your example comes from is as far from Disney's corporate culture as the proverbial hawk from the moon.

- Walt Disney

- Michael Eisner

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post

Very well said. Short, polite, to the point... and devoid of that gag-inducing Disney CorporateSpeak.

Unfortunately, when one hears Disney Parks' top executive speak, it's clear that the place your example comes from is as far from Disney's corporate culture as the proverbial hawk from the moon.
                                  Geeeee....that Video of Bob Chapek and Money ,Money , Money
                                  Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

First I like to say that I have been on PoTC many times over the last 30+ years. I’m used to the bumps and taps that happen, this was not that. They rubber “bumper” were making sounds and causing water to splash up between boats. I have no idea why this was happening it could have been a mix of the weight of the people in the boats and the speed it was running at ( it does run faster than it used to, once you got to hear the skeleton whole speech about " Keeping your rutty hands inboard" ), to be perfectly honest I couldn’t tell you but it wasn’t normal.

yes I know it a lot of soft soap and boiler plate, but it is polite and focus on the problem and at least appears to try and say "will work on it" instead of "lets focus on the last thing you said and ignore the meat of the problem"
                                    Why would you want them to say, they would try to work on it when they aren’t going to? It’s clearly how the ride was designed and they haven’t done anything about it since it opened.

Comment

Originally posted by Yamamoto364 View Post
                                      Why would you want them to say, they would try to work on it when they aren’t going to? It’s clearly how the ride was designed and they haven’t done anything about it since it opened.
                                      As much as management loves to point the finger at WDI, PotC boats slamming into each other with the force that Jedi Stitch describes is clearly not "how the ride was designed."

- Walt Disney

- Michael Eisner

Comment

Sorry that your Pirates of the Caribbean experience was bad.

The boats have always been keen to be jerky on the approach to the loading dock, as long as I can remember. (As early as the 1970s).

So, this raises the question... has it gotten worse in recent times for some unknown reason?
                                        MY SIGNATURE:
                                        Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X