Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I talked to a Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance castmember this past weekend an he told me they had added more ride vehicles since opening.

Comment

• Originally posted by JiminyC View Post
      I talked to a Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance castmember this past weekend an he told me they had added more ride vehicles since opening.
      So that why, the number is up
      Right Direction ,
      I take it the CM's feeling more comfortable about the ride system !!
      Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

• It seems they decided early on they wouldn't go past 103 today. They appear to be on track to conclude boarding earlier than usual. Odd...

Comment

• Been texting with a buddy who is inside Rise today. The ride is hosed tonite. They had to call off the Ops crew and start sending Ops CM's home by 18:00 after the ride closed for the night at 17:30. All Ops management is under strict rules to cut labor anyway they can because of the China situation - and that even goes for SW:GE CM's.

Today - Rise only ran for five hours and was 101 (closed) for 10 hours of the 15 hour park operating day. That really sucks.

Comment

• I think the fact that almost 25 pages and 500 posts into this and the majority of the discussion is about the boarding pass system, downtime and how many groups are actually getting to go on the ride instead of actual discussion about the ride itself kinda says it all doesn't it?

I work graveyard, 10pm until 6 am with split days off. This means that I had to call out of work on Sunday just so I could get up early on Monday in order to go and have a chance to get a pass to ride this thing. Otherwise I literally would never be able to go on it. It is impossible for me to make it to the park from work in anywhere close to enough time and that's ignoring the fact that I would also be in a suit and tie and without any sort of pockets to hold my wallet, keys, phone, etc. Now, luckily my girlfriend and I were able to get a pass and did get to go on the ride, and it was amazing, it may be the single best non-roller coaster ride I have ever been on in my life. And it kills me that I couldn't just go and get back in line to ride it again and that this is probably the only time I'll get to go on it before our passes expire in April because no way in heck are we going through that again just to MAYBE get to go on the ride.

I did Rocket Rods opening day, I did Nemo opening day, I am more than willing to wait 5-7 hours for a ride. If I want to do so, give me the option to do so. I basically did that on Monday anyways, except I had to cross my fingers and hope that they'd actually let me do it. Yes, we were able to do a few other things in the park while we waited, but ultimately we were still just waiting for our turn to get on Rise. But again, don't let this be the takeaway from my post.

The fact that there are almost 500 posts in this topic and next to none of them are about the ride itself. That awesome transition from the queue to the transport ship to the star destroyer (seriously, that single moment when those doors open to the interior of the star destroyer may very well be the most blown away I have ever been at a park EVER) or the incredible effects on the ride itself or how amazingly in character the cast members were or the intricate set design or anything about the actual ride itself. All anyone is talking about is the boarding pass system and everything surrounding it and that's both telling and depressing.

A quick aside, I really am glad to have gone on the ride still in its early days. I think to how run down Indy is and I fear for the future of this mechanically. I also worry about the days when the ride really does have bigger crowds in it (as much as I do still think a standard queue is better than the current system) and when cast members are more concerned with just moving you through the line than being in character and it does feel just like another line and that incredible transition to the showbuilding really does just become another point of moving from point a to point b like the stretching room or the office at Tower/Guardians, etc.

Comment

• Originally posted by Westsider View Post
              Been texting with a buddy who is inside Rise today. The ride is hosed tonite. They had to call off the Ops crew and start sending Ops CM's home by 18:00 after the ride closed for the night at 17:30. All Ops management is under strict rules to cut labor anyway they can because of the China situation - and that even goes for SW:GE CM's.

Today - Rise only ran for five hours and was 101 (closed) for 10 hours of the 15 hour park operating day. That really sucks.
              Geeeee NOT GOOD
              cut labor anyway because of the China situation..........
              after Disney just rise the price on Admission/AP's

Again pay more and get less.
              Last edited by Eagleman; 02-19-2020, 10:32 PM.
              Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

• I know I said it before, but I'm waiting for the shoe to drop on the ride. Not as in closing permanently, but rather that they do something major with the unreliability of the ride. There can only be so many times that the excuse of 'the bugs will work themselves out' can be used. There may come a time, when certain promblematic ride elements will be viewed as nothing more than 'throwing money at the wall' and get cut from the ride.

Comment

• Originally posted by Spongeocto4 View Post
                  I know I said it before, but I'm waiting for the shoe to drop on the ride. Not as in closing permanently, but rather that they do something major with the unreliability of the ride. There can only be so many times that the excuse of 'the bugs will work themselves out' can be used. There may come a time, when certain promblematic ride elements will be viewed as nothing more than 'throwing money at the wall' and get cut from the ride.
                  I'm very concerned about the simulator segment. I've been informed that a big percentage of the downtime is due to the mechanism that locks the ride vehicle into the simulator base (specifically the sensor systems that ensure it's locked in correctly). If they care enough about the experience, this means they might be able to develop an updated version of that system, so it minimizes those problems. Unfortunately, especially under current management, it's possible that they might change the ride experience instead, in ways that are really detrimental to the experience - which would be tragic, considering what an accomplishment this attraction is, and the level of competition that Disney is facing for spectacular theme park experiences.

Comment

• Originally posted by Yamamoto364 View Post

That’s really odd cause I have a friend that entered the queue at 7 and got off by 730 tonight...

You just reported 100 percent inaccurate information.
                    You are correct about them still boarding riders after 7, but I don't doubt the rest of his info. Maybe he miscalculated when converting to 24 hour time, but as someone who was in park all day yesterday, got a boarding group and both rode and kept an eye on it all day, it most definitely opened over an hour late and closed over 2 hours early as usual, and appeared to close even earlier. According to Thrill Data, they reached group 103 at 5:25-5:30pm, and never called a higher number after that, hence my comment about them deciding early on what they'd be doing for the rest of the day, which also lines up with Westsider's comments about the operations stalling in some way at 5:30pm.
                    Either way, after that according to the app they kept the ride open until 8:15 maybe to accommodate last riders. I'm sure that's how your friend entered the queue at 7. The app said the ride was open until around 8:15. It had many downtimes yesterday and as we know they hit 145-150+ for 4 days in a row so yesterday was factually a bad day any way you cut it.

EDIT: Today also brought the on-sale of Star Wars night, which has sold out in a matter of hours and includes the fine print that ROTR will not be available. This had been up in the air until the on-sale. Maybe they will surprise ticket-holders if they are able to have it running, but that's probably extremely doubtful to expect in any way. I wonder how many people bought that ticket and didn't know ROTR won't be available.
                    Last edited by Theme Park Chat; 02-20-2020, 08:32 AM.

Comment

• Yeah, I was using Thrill Data as well and it appears that they stopped calling new boarding groups around 5:30pm yesterday, other folks on other forums are reporting similar stories. However, the graph is also tracking/showing a wait time for the attraction after the reported 5:30 last boarding group. I guess it's possible that while they did shut down boarding groups early, perhaps they allowed those in line already to ride it out? Which would explain why we have two folks saying they had contacts come off the ride around/the app saying the ride was open until a little after 8pm.

Either way, yesterday was not a good day for the attraction. That's a shame considering it seemed to be performing so well and calling more groups than ever over the busy holiday weekend. I may be totally off base here but others are also reporting that they've bumped the amount of ride vehicles inside the attraction up, maybe that has something to do with it? I know that whenever we had too many vehicles running on the track at one over at Winnie the Pooh, a breakdown was all but assured. When a Guest takes too long to load or Cast Members weren't being efficient enough, vehicles would back up in the final tunnel and if they backed up too far (past a certain zone), there were no longer any pressure mat sensors to detect if a Guest were to jump out, so out of "better safe than sorry", the attraction would simply shut itself off.

Not saying that's what is happening here or what caused yesterday to be so bad, but hey, it's a guess!
                      "I take no side. I am beyond your worrying and wars. I am unseen. Unknowable. Like a rock in the river."

Comment

• Whatever the problem was last night it seems to be continuing this morning. The ride was barely opened for 45 minutes before it broke down again.

Comment

• I really don't need to say that the ride is stunning, atmospheric, surprising and absolutely massive in scope and scale - just saying it so that there is context for my nitpicks/questions about the ride...
                          • Did anyone else feel that Kylo Ren's "presence" felt a bit diminished in the ride? Obviously it's not fair to compare live performers to animatronics, but there's something very intimidating about meeting Kylo at the launch bay. Partly because he's right there in your face, but also because of the way the audio is treated. It has a more echo-y, robotic effect on it that felt absent in the ride. Does anyone else feel like his voice is less booming and modulated on RotR? I think it would be an easy fix, and would make a huge difference.
                          • Also, was my ride through broken, or are a lot of the rooms littered with stationary, empty ride vehicles? The first room where we sneak past a bunch of prison transports, they were all scattered around that huge room, not moving or appearing alive at all. Is something usually supposed to happen here? Later, when we are running between those huge gun turrets, there was another empty, lifeless prison transport vehicle tucked between them for some reason. Was this a maintenance thing, or is there usually one sitting there? It just looked very strange because without people in them, the ride vehicles aren't very immersive or attractive as part of the environment, and they are HUGE. It seemed really odd.
                          • Lastly, can anyone confirm - the AT-ATs don't move, right? If not, probably for the best considering the track record for huge AAs
                          Last edited by tyrannosaur; 02-20-2020, 12:09 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by tyrannosaur View Post
                            I really don't need to say that the ride is stunning, atmospheric, surprising and absolutely massive in scope and scale - just saying it so that there is context for my nitpicks/questions about the ride...
                            • Did anyone else feel that Kylo Ren's "presence" felt a bit diminished in the ride? Obviously it's not fair to compare live performers to animatronics, but there's something very intimidating about meeting Kylo at the launch bay. Partly because he's right there in your face, but also because of the way the audio is treated. It has a more echo-y, robotic effect on it that felt absent in the ride. Does anyone else feel like his voice is less booming and modulated on RotR? I think it would be an easy fix, and would make a huge difference.
                            • Also, was my ride through broken, or are a lot of the rooms littered with stationary, empty ride vehicles? The first room where we sneak past a bunch of prison transports, they were all scattered around that huge room, not moving or appearing alive at all. Is something usually supposed to happen here? Later, when we are running between those huge gun turrets, there was another empty, lifeless prison transport vehicle tucked between them for some reason. Was this a maintenance thing, or is there usually one sitting there? It just looked very strange because without people in them, the ride vehicles aren't very immersive or attractive as part of the environment, and they are HUGE. It seemed really odd.
                            • Lastly, can anyone confirm - the AT-ATs don't move, right? If not, probably for the best considering the track record for huge AAs
                            I haven't seen Kylo at the Launch Bay, but now that you mention it I guess he could be made more imposing. Maybe just upping the volume on his speakers or something to that effect. I still maintain we should have seen a lightsaber duel between him and Rey. It's crazy to me that Finn and Kylo both get two animatronics and the (titular?) character of the sequel trilogy barely gets a hologram.

When did you ride and see all the empty vehicles sitting stationary? I've never seen that before, with the only stationary transport in the hangar. If they did add more ride vehicles to the mix allowing for more throughput, it could be that those are just waiting in the wings to be added in if they want to increase capacity as need requires.

The AT-ATs don't move beyond the heavy laser cannons on the sides of its head. Here is a construction photo showing the steel skeleton fixed into the foundation.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post

Reality check: Westsider's current and past posts are all available for viewing on MiceChat via the search engine, as are yours. The quality, consistency and accuracy of information that he has contributed to MiceChat over the past 13 years speaks for itself. In contrast, you've been on this forum for 4 months, and consistently shoot down criticism of Disney. I think most people here would tend to believe Westsider's testimony over yours.
                              My Support still with Westsider's
                              For The quality, consistency and accuracy of information that he has contribute!
                              A little miscalculated, does not make main information wrong.
                              Disney is doing Cutbacks
                              and It was a bad day any way you cut it..............

Note: I am VERY impressed with the quality of your response
                              Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

• Looks like this ride has been broken down for 4 hours so far today 2/20.

Comment

• Unrelated to the breakdown percentage, but it's a bummer if they lowered the vehicle count back down again. It doesn't seem like it's had quite the same pace even when running yesterday and today.

Odds they limp through 6 months of operation until Avengers is out, then shut down the ride for a few months to fix and maybe even modify things, while retheming to Original Trilogy? Sure it'll cost them some, but you'd think they have to have financial projections for the effect OT Galaxy's Edge would have on merchandise sales, and I'd bet 20 years of Tatooine sales beats "Black Spire Outpost" significantly. Look at how the Tatooine spirit jerseys have sold in like 3 days. People want OT Star Wars.

Comment

• SAD..........This attraction still have ISSUE's
                                    "Depressing"
                                    Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

• Originally posted by NGW View Post
                                      ...The fact that there are almost 500 posts in this topic and next to none of them are about the ride itself. That awesome transition from the queue to the transport ship to the star destroyer (seriously, that single moment when those doors open to the interior of the star destroyer may very well be the most blown away I have ever been at a park EVER) or the incredible effects on the ride itself or how amazingly in character the cast members were or the intricate set design or anything about the actual ride itself. All anyone is talking about is the boarding pass system and everything surrounding it and that's both telling and depressing.
                                      The sad fact is that Disney management has overshadowed the story of WDI's innovation with a story of greed-for-quick-profits that resulted in forced deadlines and insufficient testing.

It takes some serious shortsightedness to turn the best work of WDI and the most popular movie brand in the world into a struggling series of breakdowns. But that's the Iger/Chapek regime for you.

"Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
                                      it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
                                      together with every variety of recreation and fun,
                                      designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
                                      - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
                                      - Bob Chapek

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post

The sad fact is that Disney management has overshadowed the story of WDI's innovation with a story of greed-for-quick-profits that resulted in forced deadlines and insufficient testing.

It takes some serious shortsightedness to turn the best work of WDI and the most popular movie brand in the world into a struggling series of breakdowns. But that's the Iger/Chapek regime for you.
                                        Sad, but true.

Now, not sure I've seen this brought up before. Doesn't it sorta feel like the boarding pass madness is manufactured?

Think about it. Galaxy's Edge opened to incredibly tepid response and crowds were significantly smaller than any of us, or Disney, anticipated and they did some serious damage control at that time. Fast forward to now with Rise of the Resistance and they have a system in place that basically guarantees a rush of people at opening to try and get one of the super limited boarding passes. The results? People sharing pictures on social media of lines of cars before park opening, lines to get in stretching back to the entrance of DCA, stories of success or tears of failure, pictures of enormous crowds on mainstreet before rope drop. This all looks much, much better to the investors than the relative ghost towns we had after GE opened, doesn't it? It almost feels like they're using this system to make these situations because all those pictures look really, really good for them.

Comment

• Originally posted by NGW View Post

Sad, but true.

Now, not sure I've seen this brought up before. Doesn't it sorta feel like the boarding pass madness is manufactured?

Think about it. Galaxy's Edge opened to incredibly tepid response and crowds were significantly smaller than any of us, or Disney, anticipated and they did some serious damage control at that time. Fast forward to now with Rise of the Resistance and they have a system in place that basically guarantees a rush of people at opening to try and get one of the super limited boarding passes. The results? People sharing pictures on social media of lines of cars before park opening, lines to get in stretching back to the entrance of DCA, stories of success or tears of failure, pictures of enormous crowds on mainstreet before rope drop. This all looks much, much better to the investors than the relative ghost towns we had after GE opened, doesn't it? It almost feels like they're using this system to make these situations because all those pictures look really, really good for them.
                                          I have to agree......good point !
                                          Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X