Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Awesome Planet" belongs in Tomorrowland Theater

The new short film "Awesome Planet" soft-opened at Epcot today. It features beautiful footage of natural environments across the globe, and ends with showing how science and technology can help preserve ecosystems. It's IP-free (how did that happen!), and it includes science/technology. It would be a wonderful little addition to Disneyland, and fit perfectly in Tomorrowland Theater. Thoughts?

Here's the movie at Epcot: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jy6BX-WBfiQ&

I agree, this would be perfect to feature in that theater even playing episodes of The Imagineering Story I think would be a huge improvement than having the worlds most expensive trailer theater. How they see that huge space never having anyone in the seats as an acceptable option has always been beyond me. They should feature classic Sci-Fi films like Tron and The Black Hole etc. surely there are enough local visitors that would come to enjoy dinner or lunch in the park and them line up to watch a movie in the theater even if it is one that is on Disney+ ( it would be a great advertisement for Disney+). There is also several guests that came with family etc. but are just not mobile enough and find themselves sitting on a bench for hours while their family runs around without them, they would surely prefer to sit in a theater and be entertained. Also during the hot months of summer I know people would love to sit for 1-2 hours in some AC if they had something entertaining to watch. Disney has the largest most attractive family friendly film catalog of any studio and they have a theater just wasting away showing commercials. I get the argument that people don't want to sit and watch a 90min. movie after paying so much to get in but Disneyland has so many locals AP visitors that come to the park and just hang out for 3-4 hours that they alone I feel would be enough to fill a bunch of seats if they had something compelling to watch. If there was a schedule posted in advance I wouldn't be surprised if those numbers were enough that your would see crowds line up waiting to get in.

Comment

They’ve used that theater for so much rubbish, having no ties to the future,I don’t see how they would miss something that IS a fit. Innoventions was considered the West Coast Version to EPCOT’s. Now a west coast version of this new Epcot feature would work just fine in the Magic Eye Theater. Not like TL is going to get a massive remodel any time soon. This would make a decent “filler” for the next 20 years. (lol)
      MY SIGNATURE:
      Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

Comment

Originally posted by md6379a View Post
        The new short film "Awesome Planet" soft-opened at Epcot today. It features beautiful footage of natural environments across the globe, and ends with showing how science and technology can help preserve ecosystems. It's IP-free (how did that happen!), and it includes science/technology. It would be a wonderful little addition to Disneyland, and fit perfectly in Tomorrowland Theater. Thoughts?

Here's the movie at Epcot: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jy6BX-WBfiQ&

"Awesome Planet"
        It would be Great to have Disneyland _Tomorrowland
        and
        Magic Eye Theater , would be a great place to have it !
        IMO
        Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

I disagree...find something else to run in the theater. The parks/resorts are getting to the point that nothing is unique between them. Recent example...Mickey's Philharmagic. Good attraction at WDW in its original form. Duplicated at DCA, in a theater not designed for it and it lost it's original charm (ie not having the wrap around screen like at MK). The crowds didn't materialize for it either. It was a lazy attempt to utilize an empty theater. Hey, we have this show already playing at WDW let's bring it to DL and hope it draws crowds to this underutilized theater. Instead of developing something that would warrant repeat visits from the local audience. Which let's be honest, if Awesome Planet (which don't get me wrong it's a great film) was brought to TL it would be playing to half audiences or less within a month. A one and done type show for the DL local to be sure.
          Last edited by N2dru; 01-16-2020, 11:12 PM.

Comment

It's IP-free (how did that happen!)
            Awesome Planet is NOT IP-free. It's hosted by Ty Burrell in character as Phil Dunphy from ABC's Modern Family. The conceit is that Phil (a realtor) is showing us (prospective buyers) the Earth and why it's so great. "Location, location, location." Stupid, stupid, stupid.

Just as one film-based Epcot attraction featuring the star of an already-in-its-dying-days ABC sitcom leaves us (Ellen), a new one replaces it.

Comment

Originally posted by N2dru View Post
              I disagree...find something else to run in the theater. The parks/resorts are getting to the point that nothing is unique between them. Recent example...Mickey's Philharmagic. Good attraction at WDW in its original form. Duplicated at DCA, in a theater not designed for it and it lost it's original charm (ie not having the wrap around screen like at MK). The crowds didn't materialize for it either. It was a lazy attempt to utilize an empty theater. Hey, we have this show already playing at WDW let's bring it to DL and hope it draws crowds to this underutilized theater. Instead of developing something that would warrant repeat visits from the local audience. Which let's be honest, if Awesome Planet (which don't get me wrong it's a great film) was brought to TL it would be playing to half audiences or less within a month. A one and done type show for the DL local to be sure.
              They also waited just long enough that Philharmagic's 3D models would look nice and dated which certainly didn't help things.

While I ultimately agree that they should find something more repeatable. I do kinda feel that if we're going to be stuck with filler for the immediate future it might as well be rotated even if just briefly into something with a little more substance than a trailer.

Ultimately the whole area needs to be rethought so I'm all about those rumored Tomorrowland teardowns. Honestly the old theater, Rocket Reds, Starcad. All these spots are opportunity and none of them are divided correctly for what they need to be and a complete demolition and revamp can do things like match resturants with bathrooms and stage out proper attraction space in a more organic format than a theater brick setup we have going currrently.

It'll take time and money and careful thought and if I'm going to wait I wouldn't mind the theater running filler content taht is still more substantial than trailers and promotionals.

I feel like a good portion of the problem is just how long Disney delays this quickie synergy. They'll wait to the film is becoming overplayed even for WDW when they finally bring it to CA. I think HISTA was as fast as they ever got with porting over films, at least in recent memory.
              "We all have sparks, imagination! it's how our minds... create creations!"

Comment

Originally posted by Jspider View Post
                It'll take time and money and careful thought and if I'm going to wait I wouldn't mind the theater running filler content that is still more substantial than trailers and promotionals.
                Yeah, exactly. Tomorrowland deserves a thoughtful, long-term refresh. But in the meantime, there are things that would make it a little more thematically and aesthetically consistent. Playing something "real" (i.e., not trailers or "movie previews" that are totally unrelated to science/technology/future) in the theater would be a great start.

Awesome Planet is one good option, since it's probably the best "theme park film" that Disney has produced in quite a while... and it discusses science and technology. Plus it features lots of amazing footage that's really cool to see on a big screen, so it'll actually be something that passholders will want to check out... not to mention that if you're looking for an "air-conditioning break," nature footage will be preferable to movie clips/trailers for most people.

Comment

It would be nice to have a fresh IP free Attraction in Tomorrowland
                  Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Originally posted by Eagleman View Post
                    It would be nice to have a fresh IP free Attraction in Tomorrowland
                    Even just seeing the sign out front say "Awesome Planet" instead of the latest movie would improve Tomorrowland!

Comment

Even just seeing the sign out front say "Awesome Planet" instead of the latest movie would improve Tomorrowland!
                      IMO
                      Paying for the high Price of Admission
                      I do get weary of Preview of Disney movies.....
                      That not the reason ,I go to the parks!
                      Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Hey, I couldn’t agree with you more. I disagree with Disney’s approach to McDisney Parks ... with carbon copy versions of rides from park to park.
                        Unique parks with unique adventures makes each more marketable.

And then there’s this story of throwing away an original idea for familiarity:

Western River Expedition’s development was well under way for WDW, in it’s early days. What did guests gripe was missing?? PotC. What did Disney do? They caved in to guests demand instead of giving the park a ride that would have made it more unique AND we would have another classic.... built by the same people who did PotC. That would be like MGM saying no to Singin In The Rain and made An American In Paris part2 instead!
                        MY SIGNATURE:
                        Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

Comment

Anything is better than a 5 year old SW promo vidoe
                          Happy Halloween!!!

Comment

I agree, Philharmagic in Disney World is OK, the WDW Theater is different, being shallower and lower so that the Donald Duck gag at the end works. It doesn't work in California Adventure.

In the beginning of Disneyland they had the Fantasyland (MMC) Theater (Where Pinocchio is now). It played Walt Disney's "True Life Adventures" on a loop.

Because I could sneak in the the back, I spent Saturday afternoons in Disneyland watching True Life Adventures while eating my Tuna Sandwich from the Chicken of the Sea boat, with a drink from the Welch's Grape Juice Bar, in Air Conditioned comfort.

It would not work in today's Hyper Commercial Disneyland and Large crowds. Only some of the 50's Disneyland charm exists. But that's OK. A small film Theater no longer fits in the "RESORT" because of the limited capacity and slow turnover. Get rid of both in DL and DCA and update rides.

Comment

Originally posted by Disneyland 1951 View Post

eating my Tuna Sandwich from the Chicken of the Sea boat, with a drink from the Welch's Grape Juice Bar, in Air Conditioned comfort.
                              Geeee - the Good old Days.........

Disneyland use to be only place, I know
                              were one get a
                              Good "Tuna Burger" ( tuna melt ) and bag of chips , from
                              The Chicken of the Sea Pirate Ship

and get "Welch's Grape Juice " from Welch's Grape Juice Bar.......what a MEAL
                              and ate and rest near Pirate Ship , in the shade !

Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X